Cover Image: The  Liar of Red Valley

The Liar of Red Valley

This mystery/fantasy/horror follows Sadie - a young woman who is unexpectedly made the new Liar of Red Valley.  The Liar has the power to make lies into truths at the cost of only a little blood but with that power comes threats in multiple forms.  Red Valley has three rules that every child learns while growing up - do not trust the Liar, do not go in the River, and do not cross the King - and when Sadie finds herself in a battle for her life and the future of the town of Red Valley, she just might consider breaking the rules.

I absolutely loved this book.  Fantasy is a genre that I want to like but I find myself not meshing with it in book form (audio books are okay, TV or movies are much better).  This book, however, hit the bullseye of very specific things I like in my fantasy books and the rest of the book came together so precisely that I ended up loving this story.  I found this a really nice mash up of mystery, fantasy, and light horror that I think would appeal to readers of all those genres.

The fantasy elements, I thought, were introduced perfectly.  The story is set in Red Valley, California so we are pretty grounded in reality.  In fact, Red Valley is a pretty normal town that is just vaguely magical.  There are some magical creatures, some people have magical powers, the King is magical, but we don't get into too many specifics. We get eased into the different layers and magical elements as the story progresses so I never felt overwhelmed or confused and the elements have a good habit of building on each other so I never felt tricked or cheated. We find out one tidbit, then have a bit of time to adjust, then we find out another tidbit, etc.  I also really enjoyed the way the townspeople acted about the magic as well.  Everyone just sort of accepts that magic is a thing in this town but no one really seems all that bothered to figure out the exact reason for it. There is a sort of reason given, but when it comes to questions like "why is there only one Liar", no one really has an answer, it is just how it has always been.  I really enjoy that sort of *shrug*  explanations when it comes to the magic systems in my fantasy stories.  However, if you're a reader who really wants a deep explanation into the roots and history of the magic, then this book isn't for you. The fantasy elements were just accepted by the characters so when they were presented to the reader, I would just accept them alongside the characters.   I was getting pretty solid Welcome to Night Vale mixed with SCP Foundation vibes for the town and I was onboard from page 1. The horror elements were pretty light and I found they leaned more toward creepy and slightly bloody.  A lot of the fantasy elements leaned on the darker side (no bubblegum pink fairy godmothers here) so we get a good amount of creature horror.  I'd say it was the same level of horror as a summer blockbuster zombie action movie.

The characters were really well developed and the side characters had really strong characterization which made it easy to sink into the narrative.  We are primarily following Sadie throughout the book (but do occasionally follow some of the outside threats to the town as they arise in the second half of the book) so we see her interactions with the townsfolk and how growing up as equal parts famous but also a bit of a social pariah given the implications of being the Liar. Sadie does have a close friend and the two do a good amount of investigating together in the story.  I thought their friendship was really well illustrated and while we obviously don't get a whole play by play of their whole lives, the way they interact shows the reader just how great of friends they really are.  I really enjoyed Sadie's character and thought her development arc as the main character was really well done.  I don't believe her exact age is ever given, but she had graduated high school in the past few years so I'd say early 20s at the oldest.  I think a lot of the character development came from the fact that she'd been just living her life and following the rules the same way she'd always done when suddenly this extra responsibility is thrust upon her and she has to make the best of it.  There were multiple times when someone would ask her if she was scared and her internal voice would say 'of course, I'm terrified' but then she's pull herself up by her bootstraps and actually give some sort of witty/vaguely threatening retort.

The ending was a little anti-climatic for me, especially given the ramp up of the events throughout the story.  As mentioned previously, we are following Sadie 98% of the time, but we do get some outside perspective.  My biggest complaint with the ending was that we stayed with Sadie instead of switching to one of the other perspectives.  We follow Sadie as she is putting together the last pieces of information she needs and then continue to follow her as she sees the big climax happening on the other side of town.  I wanted to see that big ending and since we had already established in the narrative that we do switch POV at times, I think getting a bit of those other view points would really solidify the gravity of the situation that Sadie was in.  It also would have been a nice pay-off for the reader.  Since we've been following Sadie through her investigation I was pretty invested in the outcome of all these plot lines converging only for it to come to the climax basically off page. I also would have liked a bit more of a gentle wind-down of the story.  This ended pretty quickly after the ending climax and I generally prefer a chapter or two of the aftermath to see how all the characters settled in after the events of the story.  We do get a really quick run through of how characters are feeling, but it felt pretty rushed and considering the whole plot of the book takes place in just a few days, I would have liked a moment where the characters could finally breathe.

The investigation and twists were really well done and I think they worked well with the fantasy elements.  Most of the investigating was pretty much driving around and finding the right person to talk to which could have been boring but when the people Sadie needs to talk to are a bit odd and fantastical and every conversation answers some questions but leaves with others, it was a really fun ride. I really enjoyed how a few of the twists were big enough to change how Sadie understood the history of the town she's lived in her whole life but they also made her more resolved to figure out what the real truth is.  I really liked how the process of the investigation really brought out Sadie's character and we saw her growth through going through all these trials without much preparation at all.  There was a nice mix of her both succeeding and failing at certain points that also showed her growth.  For me, this was first and foremost a mystery book with fantasy elements and it worked so well!
Overall, this was a really great read.  Great characters, setting, and mix of mystery/fantasy/horror.  I do wish we had gotten a bit more of a gradual ending, but I highly recommend!

Thanks NetGalley and Rebellion publishing for the ARC in exchange for review

Expected publication date is September 28, 2021
Intense, Creepy with many unpredictable twists.
This is fantasy/horror, a genre I'm finding myself more and more drawn too.
Sadie the main character has inherited the title of the Liar of Red Valley. The liar being an extremely gripping character facing many crazy challenges that just kept me turning the pages and the plot twists are fantastic.
This is so well written, the writing just flowed and I was completely addicted.
The whole plot and narration is totally unreliable and I just had to keep turning the page for more, the ending did not disappoint!

I 100% recommend this book and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author!.

#TheLiarofRedValley #NetGalley
4 Stars!

I really went into The Liar of Red Valley completely blind.  The synopsis of the book was intriguing as was the cover so I decided to give it a try without really knowing what to expect.  It is safe to say that I was far from disappointed in the novel.

Red Valley, California, may be the strangest place in the world but it is one that is ruled by three simple rules:  Don't trust the Liar, don't go in the River, and do not cross the King.  Everyone learned the rules when they were children but that help much truer for Sadie than for most.  Sadie was the daughter of the Liar and as such held a special place of honor and contempt with the residents of the town.  No one really liked the Liar but they respected and feared her.  The town knew the relationship between the Liar and the King, or at least it thought it did.  Sadie knew about the relationship as well until her mother unexpectedly died from a cancer she had been hiding.  Now Sadie was the Liar and quickly learned that things were not as they seemed.

Sadie knew nothing about what it was to be the Liar.  She had the duty thrust upon her and she was besieged by the warring factions of the small town before she could even come to grips with her mother's death.  What did the king want from her?  What must she do to learn how to become the Liar?  And for that matter, what was the true function of the Liar?  Throw in an undersheriff hellbent on disrupting the ancient balance of the town and dark forces that constantly nipped at the edges of the King's power and Sadie found herself forced in the middle of a centuries-old feud between beings she could barely understand much less comprehend.  Sadie is forced into a deadly game that can only be won if she can unfold the secrets of the small town.  But in the end, what is the truth and what is a lie could ultimately lead to death or salvation.

What I found in The Liar of Red Valley was a strange tale that would several narratives and perspectives into one tale so that it felt like it was wandering along the edge of chaos but manages to never fall into the chasm.  Goodwater keeps the reader on the edge of his seat by switching scenes and perspectives often so that the reader has to think to keep up.  The book moves quickly but not so quickly that it leaves the reader behind.  It did make me take a deep breath at times and backtrack as I felt that I had missed something, but Goodwater controls the story with a deft hand and never lets it stray.  This is not a run of the mill story.  It is not an easy read.  It is fast and entertaining but it does take thought to unravel as more and more elements join the story at breakneck speed as the truth continues to warp and change.  I am not really sure how to describe the story except to say that it is not what I expected at all and the only expectation that held true throughout was a constant changing to the storyline.

The Liar of Red Valley is full of demons and monsters and mythical beings both semi-human to completely alien but that is not what makes the story so engaging.  It is almost as if every element of the story is a commentary on the human condition and the world we live in.  From the Laughing Boys with their similarities to drug addicts to the King and his archaic relationship that is a mixture of symbiosis and leeching, there are a lot of parallels to the modern world that Goodwater throws out there to force the reader to think not only about the story but the "real" world as well.  And then there is the Liar.  What is the truth and what is a lie?  That is the question that is central question of the novel and the answer may be that everything in the novel, and in the world in general, may be little more than small truths built upon greater lies that pull them together.  The Liar of Red Valley is a complicated narrative with a strong moral element but also a fun story that it is easy to lose oneself in.  The novel is highly recommended for those who are not afraid to question the truths they find in the world even as they lose themselves is a dark world of fantasy.

I would like to thank Solaris and NetGalley for this review copy.  The Liar of Red Valley is scheduled to be released on September 28, 2021.
The Liar of Red Valley started out strong, creating a great atmospheric setting that sent chills down my spine as the story began to unfold. Characters were rich and complex, and the mystery of "The Liar" and the strange dynamics in the town kept me guessing.

However, the story stalled out for me in the middle and I had a hard time becoming fully invested again. The ending did pick back up though, but by that point, I had already lost my interest in the overall outcome of the story.
In Red Valley, you can make any lie become 'true enough' as long as you pay the Liar's price. When Sadie's mother dies, she inherits the role of the Liar of Red Valley and she becomes involved in the war between the King and the law as they fight for the town's control.
And while this dispute is going on and Red Valley wilts and succumbs to other paranormal threats, the town people are kept in place with three simple rules:
Don't trust the Liar
Don't go in the River
Don't cross the King

I have to say this book took me forever to finish because 1) PhDing is hard and 2) reading slumps are not great. But I decided to wake up at 4AM today to finish it and I did it in one sitting (me is currently sad, this was so much fun).

The Liar of Red Valley is fast paced, fun, creepy, and really well written. Non-spoilery list what is good/I loved:
- The characters and Sadie: dang I loved all of them. The King was creepy as hell, yet very likable? The re's a time traveling gay couple that I would die for. And Sadie is just charismatic, sarcastic, and just fun - one of the best main characters I've encountered in ages.
- The atmosphere: this is a contemporary gothic horror tale set in a small town surrounded by a river (or should I say, The River?).
- The twist(s).
- The ending: dang this was a <i>good</i> ending. I am here pleading to Walter Goodwater to continue the story because I just need more Red Valley.
- How it all made sense. I was scared of reading this book because I was not sure I udnerstood what the Liar was supposed to do from the synopsis and the book did a perfect job at explaining the role. World-building was perfect in the sense that everything is kept secret and all the creepyness came of not knowing which threats were approaching or their names (or their shapes!), it really felt like you were one of the towns people somehow and sort of being "well the King better solve this because I don't even know what this is or if this is a thing, thank you".

Anyways, 100000% recommend this book to everyone who's into darker themes and wants to read something fun.

PS. Dear Mr Goodwater, you're not reading this, but if you do, pease write a sequel. Or a prequel. Or whatever. Thank you in advance and have a good life.
Thanks to Netgalley and Rebellion Publishing for an advance copy of this book. Thanks also to Walter Goodwater for writing it. It was a pleasure to read.

The Liar Of Red Valley is a cleverly written horror story with a bit of fantasy thrown in. The lead character is engaging and leads you through the story nicely. There are some unusual characters and plenty of twists. The concept of the Liar is brilliant.

This is an easy read, one of those books where you think, just one more chapter.

I rate the book as 4.5 stars but I rounded it up for the originality. Well done, Mr Goodwater.
I really liked reading this book. The main character was very relatable and the world building was good too. I really liked how the author blended the real world with magic.

In this book we follow Sadie, a girl who becomes the so called Liar Of the Red Valley when her mother dies. Like she knew from the beginning that her mother was the Liar but she never expected her mother to die so early and leave her with such a huge responsibility. So when you read this book you'll see Sadie and her journey to discover secrets of her ancestors and the truth behind the Liar.

This book has queer characters, and deals with the themes of racism. There's also the theme of people abusing their power just because they can. I loved how Sadie dealt with these types of people. She was the most relatable badass heroine you'll ever want In a book.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with this book.
This is one of those books where leaving it to go be an adult with responsibilities, only resulted in me not being able to stop thinking about it.

I have received this book in exchange of an honest review, thank you to NetGalley and
Rebellion/Solaris for the opportunity.

I have my own blog now (Daysinotherworlds.com), so please do give it a visit if you're interested in my other reviews :)

──────────────────

This is one of the more unique reads of 2021 for me, and the best part of this experience is that it grabbed hold from the first few pages and refused to let go till the very end. Every time I would go and try to be productive, I'll find myself thinking of it and that's for sure one of the markings of a great experience.

The starting premise of the book is intriguing enough with the Liar of Red Valley having the ability to make any lie come to life for a price, and it's made insanely entertaining with the amount of elements the author decided to add to it to really give it that magical realism or urban fantasy feel to it with the inclusion of weird phenomena, gods, monsters and of course, magic.

Like Sadie, I only learn the very basic elements of what makes the Liar who they are before the adventuring begins, but it's done in a way that doesn't make it feel like the information is withheld because the author wants it to, but more so on the gradual learning curve of learning it with the protagonist. The reason I say this is because, when the information is available to be learned; Sadie is going to learn it right then and there with me alongside her, without a need for a part of that specific information to be kept secret and that's something I appreciated so much.

The power of the Liar, the rules, the different entities I mentioned earlier and their abilities, special locations, the lies themselves and of course, Red Valley all have secrets or something to be learned about them so not being hindered when I needed it to understand before moving forward was brilliant.

There are a lot of things to go through in this book, and getting a question cleared before moving on to the next one kept it fun, engaging and appropriately fast paced to also incorporate the horror elements surrounding Red Valley. There is a very specific structure to the town and trying to change or challenge that isn't exactly going to go through without bloody or deadly results, so having a protagonist who is stuck in the middle of all of this conflict, was incredibly fun to read about.

I do have to add a nitpick here even though I had a ton of fun and it's in regards to a discussed rule, that gets followed up by a big reveal; mainly because it makes that reveal feel akin to a plot hole. I spent a long time thinking about how it could work out, and with the established information it sort of doesn't at all, but maybe it depends on the "object" in question? Maybe, but I am still not totally convinced of that.

That being said though, it's technically minimal to the book as a whole and it doesn't affect the fun whatsoever, so in the end, it's still a winner in my books.

I do believe that what made it as fun, happens to be Sadie herself. I personally, won't say that she changed a lot from the start of the book till the end of it, if at all, but even then it doesn't really hurt the book in any way. She's headstrong, resourceful, smart and isn't exactly afraid of a confrontation nor was she gullible. She does of course, end up in messy situations all over the book, and is in danger for the duration of it, but she still ended up being an enjoyable character to be around.

There are several characters and entities that I got to meet over the course of the book and they all ended up bringing something to this book to make it more entertaining. I'm not going to go into details about any of them as almost half of them have some hidden secret that I think should be discovered through reading it, but I will say that this book added something that a lot of books seemingly neglect to have when including a female protagonist, which is a healthy friendship with another female of a simialr age. I mainly read fantasy so it might be the genre I'm reading that isn't as great in including this, but still, it can be better in this regard and I enjoyed it in the book.

The author is thankfully not stingy with the battle prowess of the characters and creatures he created in this world, which ends up giving me a huge chance to see the differences in abilities and them in action before everything gets wrapped up. Because of how many things end up happening in it, I got the feeling that the journey was longer than it actually was, but I enjoyed myself immensely for that to ever feel like a bad thing.

I think it's pretty clear that I enjoyed it a lot and I would really love to visit this world again in some other way assuming the Liar's story is finished, depending on where exactly, it could end up being another fantastic experience.
Book review: The Liar of Red Valley by Walter Goodman 4/5
*I received an e-arc via Netgalley for an honest review* and am so excited I got to read this book before it comes out next month. Because this gives me the opportunity to reccommend you the perfect fall read!

We follow Sadie our main character in Red Valley, a creepy gothic small town in California. That is filled with paranormal vibes. Everyone growing up in the town learns three rules:
- Don't trust the Liar
- Don't go in the river
- Don't cross the king

This sets for a very disturbing atmosphere as you want to find out what it all means!! Sadie's mother is the Liar as the previous women in her family were. This means that people come to her for magical deals with the "devil" (king). She writes the lies for these people in her diary and seals the deal with blood. These lies can be very small things like changing appearances, but also very big disturbing things like forgetting loved ones. And it all comes with a price. However in the end it is still a lie. "A lie can do a lot of things, but it can't make cancer go away".
When Sadie's mother passes away, she becomes the new Liar and is keen on finding out what the three rules mean so she goes confront the king. Who is defenitly not a person, let's keep it at that. On this journey Sadie is being hunted by people and magical creatues (very scary ones) for the Liars' diaries since everyone wants to protect their lies. Luckily she does not have to fight this battle alone since she has her best friend and brujo brother to fight with her for the truth.

This book was amazing I flew through it the author did an amazing job of combining magical elements, with fantastical creatures, philosophical ideas and racisim.
I loved this books so much that I already preordered the limited signed edition with sprayed edges from Rebellion. You should do to!!
Free Netgalley book for review~. 3.5. Wow it’s been a long time since I disliked a main character so strongly.  I suspect she’s meant to be sympathetic but she managed to make me feel seriously uncomfortable.  Also when the heck does she sleep??

Still, this book is a FAST read, and it’s highly entertaining and a page turner.  I wanted her to get to a safe place, and there were some creepy villains stacked up against her.  I also found some of the plot twists surprising and that was nice. However, I wouldn’t recommend it to a sensitive reader at all, and as a more conservative reader, it’s pushing MY limits.  Among other things there’s a lot of horror and blood/gore and police brutality.  However if you’re anti religion (Christianity in specific) and lgbtq + friendly, you’ll probably love it and Sadie herself.

The grammar and writing is serviceable but nothing fancy, and when it switches povs from Sadie or hits an action scene the grammar really suffers.  Maybe that’ll be edited some more before publishing.

I’ll probably hesitate before picking up the next book this author publishes though.
Mother of god, this book was shockingly fantastic! I hoped it would be a great small town horror read, and it is, but it FAR exceeded my expectations. I adored the small town, I loved main character Sadie, and I deeply appreciated the way that, despite all of the cosmic/ancient evil that's messing around with this world, one of the major threats remained the white cop. (Content warning for police brutality in addition to parental loss, cancer, gore, extreme violence, monsters, etc.) This book works terrifically on its own terms, but it also works as a really phenomenal allegory for modern times. Also, I deeply hope that this will become a series--I NEED more of this world!!
This book was so anticlimactic that I don't have words for it. The only interesting thing was the twist at the, I think, middle of the book. Ngl the premises were interesting enough that it intrigued me to request the book but such a big disappointment.

It says don't trust the Liar, but it wasn't really emphasised as to why.

Do not go into the river, she did it twice and so what?

Do not cross the King, and?

I think that when requesting I thought it would be a bit thrilling but damn it was not. Perhaps I shouldn't have done that but co directing the DON'Ts I kinda did.
e-arc provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

"the rules of red valley said not to trust the liar. well, sadie was going to amend that rule: don't fuck with the liar."

i'm not entirely sure what to classify this book as. you've got gothic horror, you've got some fantasy, you've got a few overlapping mysteries and cosmic terror to boot. kind of like night vale, if night vale and every strange creature in it wanted to kill you. a pretty stellar combination, if you ask me.

anyway this book was so good it's ridiculous. there's a twist about every other page, and they get really juicy once you get a look into the previous liars' ledgers. who knew that a town held together by a patchwork of lies could be so secretive wow. the monsters (and other not-quite-ordinary characters) were unlike anything i've seen before, so if you've grown tired of your run-of-the-mill vampires and magicians and what have you, i'd like to introduce you to a few bear-killers and laughing boys and see where that leaves you.

every character was so well crafted they felt like real people i could point out on the street after about two lines of dialogue, but i've got to give a special shout out to thomas and charles. their story was so bittersweet, but they truly embodied the mundane weirdness of red valley and its history. i'd honestly read a spinoff novel about their day-to-decade life.

the life of a liar isn't easy, but i'm glad i got the chance to follow along for a bit. everything from the prose to the imagery was so saturated i didn't want to leave red valley even though, by all accounts, it's a pretty shit town. but there's beauty even in those, isn't there?
Sadie is the daughter of the Liar of Red Valley. Her mother collects lies in her ledger, lies like that the teller wants to become truth. To do this they must pay a price, sealing the lie in the book with a drop of blood and accepting the price, both financial and to their lives. Sadie knows that it’s going on but not the details and doesn’t really expect to become the liar herself. The book follows her actions when, unexpectedly, she becomes the new Liar.
Red Valley is ruled by a mysterious being called the King whose men keep the Valley safe from outside forces but the under sheriff has decided that the power of the King must be removed and the new Liar must help him. Meanwhile other forces outside are waiting to attack the King, to seek revenge. How will Sadie cope faced by these problems?
The Liar of Red Valley is a story of lies, but also a coming of age novel of a young woman who must face the truth concealed by the lies with the help of her friends. An interesting story with many twists. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Review based on anARC copy of the book supplied by NetGalley.
This is one of the weirdest novels to come across my desk in some time, but it is strangely compelling, an allegory for our times, perhaps, or simply an exercise in surrealism . It takes place in Red Valley, a kind of reverse Brigadoon in California, a town where benevolent and terrifying magic wielded by a mysterious King keeps the population mostly in line and people's Sims and secrets can be wished away for a blood token paid to the Liar. Want to erase the pain and grief of losing a child? Tell the List, give her her due, and his memory will be erased from your mind as if he never lived. As the story opens, the Liar had just died, leaving her daughter Sadie to take over a task and role she never sought , doesn't want, and had no clue how to do it . What she does know is that enemies she never knew she had want her mother's ledgers, the journals that recorded everyone's secrets - including the King's
This novel takes a willing suspension of disbelief and a strong stomach for the tortures the monsters visit on the town once their will is thwarted  Somewhere between fantasy, dystopian sci Fi and horror - if you're a fan of those genes, this book's for you .
An readable read. Good opening storyline which flowed  through and made sense until about three quarters of the way into the  story. To me the ending was too far fetched with all manner of creatures, monsters, laughing men and  the sheriffs department all fighting a mystical king with great powers. Even the local river had magical powers that helped to win the battle. I read and enjoyed much of the book but was disappointed with the ending.
Red Valley is a fictional Californian Town that has a creepy, haunted, abandoned aesthetic to it that really helps to set the scene. This darkness is echoed by the three simple rules the inhabitants are expected to follow in order to survive.

The three constants; the Liar, the River and the King affects every aspect of this incredible read. Even our protagonist cannot escape her fate.  Forced to accept her new reality as the town's Liar after the tragic death of her mother, Sadie is left searching for answers.

I found it hard to gather my thoughts regarding the narrative as it flips back and forth from plot twist to plot twist. It truly is like a rollercoaster ride full of thought-provoking ideas, high stakes and more. Making this book a real page-turner.

The characters themselves were not the most fleshed out in my opinion. There was a two-dimensionality to them that left me feeling cheated. There was so much Walter Goodwater could have done with his characters but it was obvious that his main focus was on the King, his plans for Red Valley and Sadie's self-discovery.

I enjoyed what I read but would I read The Liar of Red Valley again? Probably not. The premise behind this book has so much promise, such as Sadie's ability to hide the secrets of the townsfolk, her family history and her blossoming friendship with Thomas and Charles Gray. I found I was much more interested in why the Grays were both present and absent at the same time, and why it was that Charles appeared weak and frail as opposed to the battle for control over Red Valley.

Another theme that I felt could have been done with a bit more investigation was Walter Goodwater's take on drug addiction. Unlike your average addicts, Red Valley is plagued by a group of people who are so desperate to chase the ultimate high that they invite demons into their minds. It would have been nice to see just <em>one </em>of these people trying to fight their addiction, rather than just accepting their "new companion" as their new normality. Even if it ends up being yet another lie in Sadie's ledger.

I can definitely see this book being something that is either loved by people or hated. To me, this was a fun, fast-paced read that definitely leaves you spinning.
3.5/5

Sadie's mum is the Liar of Red Valley. People visit her and put their blood in her ledger and she makes the Lie they want to tell seem like truth - as long as they're willing to pay the Liar's Price. Red Valley is protected by an ominous King who no one has ever seen, but his creepy henchmen rule the place. Suddenly Sadie is thrust into the role of the Liar, and is drawn into a web of secrets and creepy creatures. Why is everyone after her? What is the actual deal with this King bloke? Can the town of Red Valley be saved from nefarious forces??

This is such an odd little book. I don't even know how to categorise it - a kind of urban paranormal dark fairytale? It was listed as "horror" on Netgalley but I'm a massive wuss and I never really felt creeped out, even with the weird creatures.

This was a kind of interesting and unique story, and I've certainly never read anything like it. Somehow there was just something... missing for me. It read a bit younger than I was maybe expecting, and less creepy. It's basically a "the 19 year old girl has to save the day" kind of story. There's a good little twist in there, that did get me.

I think one of my biggest issues is that it never really made sense for the people to stay in the town and defend it. The world outside the town is vaguely described as existing so like... why not just leave? Why risk your life for some random little valley when you could just.... Go somewhere else and just not?? Although this was discussed in the story, the reasons for staying never made any sense to me.

After a lot of interesting build up and complexity, the resolution felt a little too easy. This winged darkness guy has been around for literal eons and Sadie wipes him out in a matter of paragraphs? Just didn't ring true and felt pretty unsatisfying. Not to mention the resolution of the King, which was way too easy and barely even "on screen".

I just can't figure out how to place this one. It was okay and kind of interesting, but I didn't love it or feel excited about it. Fairly solid 3.5/5 for me.
RTC
Thanks to Netgalley and Rebel Publishing for the opportunity to review this book

Don’t trust the Liar.

Don’t go in the River.

Do not cross the King

I'm rating this story for now, Until I'm able to process everything but here we go.

The story takes place on a mysterious town of Red Valley, where the King and The Liar Rule over  the small town and I tell ya no one there is really normal, the story with Sadie having flashbacks of her childhood while her mom welcomed many to create lies and for a great cost, Sadie is looking to know what happened and why now The kings wants with her.  I can continue to write about the story without spoiling you, however if you like gothic settings this is a book for you.

this is my first Contemporary Gothic Novel and liked it a lot will be getting a copy soon.
I absolutely enjoyed this book as the best horror fiction I ever read. So if you are a horror-reader, then  The Liar of Red Valley is the right fit for your taste.
It has the right amount of suspense, fear, excitement and dread.

Mark the date: September 28, 2021

The book is yet to release on the said day and trust me you’ll love every bit of it!😊

Oh, and once again thanks to @rebellionpublishing  for sending the ARC of the book. Looking forward to read more books from you!✨