Cover Image: The Final Girl Support Group

The Final Girl Support Group

This unfortunately did not live up to my expectations. As a huge fan of slashers, I expected to be completely gripped and at the edge of my seat through this story. However, I found myself bored throughout a lot of this and wasn't a fan of the writing style. I did appreciate the overall storyline and it was enough to keep me going , but overall, not quite what I envisioned.

Rep: disability, LGBTQIA+

I’m a huge fan of Grady Hendrix so I jumped for joy when I heard about this newest book. It is such a cool concept: what happens to those survivors, those final girls? How do they go about their lives after such a horrific event? This novel really explores the aftermath of being a final girl, including the portrayal of these girls by the media. I loved the use of media clippings and articles about slasher movies that were scattered throughout. However, the plot was overly complicated and scattered, with too many parts that didn’t make sense to me. I also wasn’t a fan of the ending. Whilst this might not be my favourite book by Grady Hendrix, it was still a very cool thriller/horror story and I’m giving it 3/5 stars.

The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix is a horror novel that follows a group of women who survived the monsters that came after them. However, someone knows about this group and is now threating to destroy the little peace they have gained. The story is told through Lynnette who has decided the best way to survive is to be very paranoid and have multiple escape plans in place which is understandable but I found her and most of the characters as unlikable. I love the concept of this story, the beginning, and the hidden references to real world slasher movies but I think I would have enjoyed this story much more as a movie or TV show. I received an early review copy through Netgalley.

Grady Hendrix can be hit or miss for me. The premise of this, his newest book, felt like it would be a hit for me, so I picked it up. Sadly, it took so long for me to get invested in the plot and characters that it ultimately fell a little flat.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me an advance copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.

As a child of the 80s & 90s, I grew up with slasher films. I didn't LIKE them, mind you, but they were unavoidable back then. And it is childhood nostalgia that drew me to Grady Hendrix's new horror novel, The Final Girl Support Group. This darkly humorous novel pays homage to those gory and often comically bad films that defined the latter decades of the 20th century.

The book focuses on "Final Girls," that horror movie stereotype given to those girls who survived the bloodbath and often took down the killer. In The Final Girl Support Group, Hendrix writes about a collection of final girls who find themselves in a support group dedicated solely to those women who were able to escape slaughter and live to tell the tale. If anyone needs a support group, it is these women, because as you can imagine, the horrors they have faced are not pretty and there's a lot of baggage and emotional trauma to unpack, even decades later.

But the final girls find their support group disrupted when it becomes apparent that someone is attempting to pick them off one by one. Narrator Lynette Tarkington, a final girl who lives her days cautiously in fear, takes it upon herself to follow the trail of terror and uncover who has targeted the support group. But can she catch the killer before they end her life for good?

Equal parts horror and humor, much like slasher films themselves, The Final Girl Support Group is sure to be enjoyed by any fan of the film genre. The premise of this book is quite interesting, and I appreciated Hendrix's attempt to tap in on slasher film nostalgia and create something horrifyingly unique. This book is atmospheric and gives off major B-flick vibes, which heightens its appeal for those who can't get enough of the likes of the Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Scream franchises. Even better, Hendrix slowly incorporates vignettes of the women's witnessed bloodbaths by way of articles, websites, interviews, and more, building the suspense and tension as we learn just what made these women "final girls."

I personally rated this novel 3 stars because I read for amazing characters, and many of the "final girls" felt flat and lifeless to me. While Hendrix writes a pulse-pounding plot, his characters would have benefited from more dimension and voice.

A fast-paced slasher is just as fun as you can expect from Grady Hendrix!

This story follows Lynette, a survivor of a mass murderer. As the sole survivor she is dubbed what is called in slasher films, a final girl. Understandably, there is trauma to unpack and Lynette is part of a support group with other final girls.

Throughout the novel, there are clippings and call backs to the horror that these women have endured, including newspaper clippings of the massacres, book and film reviews of media created post-massacre, and therapist notes. Surprisingly, this book also makes social commentary on how this genre of slasher films have been influenced by actual serial killers and survivors. It makes us question what happens to people who survive the imaginable and what makes these films so timeless.

Similar to the b-horror plot advancement, gimmicky one-liners, and humor mixed with horror that are essential to these films, this book encapsulates this vibe. Fans of Hendrix’s other books and fans of slasher films from the 80s will enjoy this. A perfect read for spooky season!

I was excited for The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix for all of the nods to classic slasher films it promised. Before reading, I listened to an interview with Hendrix and Stephen Graham Jones in which they both spoke about their long and intense love of the horror genre that made me hope that this would be in the same category as say, Scream (but in book form). In reality, the plot was disjointed, the characters were boring and I ultimately didn’t finish.

Grady Hendrix brings his campy horror A game yet again. A new take on the Slasher film follow up, including all of your favorites. Its the perfect balance of creepy, with campy baked in.

Sadly, I DNF this book. I wanted to love it, I really did. I was a huge fan of Grady Hendrix' last book and had high hopes for this one. The main protagonist was completely unlikeable and unbelievable in her role as a "final girl." I liked the concept of writing a book modeled after 80s and 90s campy horror flicks, but the it did not translate to text. The story felt very tropey and not in a good way. It felt forced and I couldn't motivate myself to keep reading.

Didn't love it as much as I had hoped, but still had a lot of fun reading. The supporting characters are enjoyable and diverse. The action was easily visualized. There were inconsistencies within the main character the I kept bumping up against and the premise felt thin. I wish we had spent a bit more time within the support group.

If you love slasher movies from the 70s/80s/90s, I cannot suggest this book enough. Hendrix is able to craft a story that is simultaneously funny and heartfelt and anxious and clever. This book is so deliciously atmospheric and fun. Perfect for the upcoming spooky season!

I wasn't prepared for the disappointment that this book caused. The Southern Book Club's Guide turned me into a huge fan of this author, but this latest novel let me down. The premise is intriguing, but the main character and supporting cast didn't hold my interest. The pacing was a bit dull, too,

Fantastic! Another clear victory by Hendrix. The book does an excellent job of keeping you wrapped up in the world, the plot and also keeps you caring for the unreliable narrator. An excellent job.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of this title. I did not finish. I got about halfway through, but was bored and the story felt flat and unnecessarily gory.

Very very good! Grady Hendrix is this century's Stephen King, publishing bestseller after bestseller in the horror genre. This is a great read for fans of the slasher genre and fans of meta horror!

From the first paragraph, I knew this book would be a good one. I immersed myself into the book from the first chapter and I cannot say enough good things about this book! Honestly amazing! The writing is incredible and the plot is just one to die for. I am absolutely obsessed with this book. My favorite part would have to be the character development throughout the book. Character development is something I look forward to and this book did not disappoint.

I loved this book. Creepy, intense, funny and thrilling, and it also worked for me as a person who doesn't watch horror movies. I can only imagine how good it would be to a horror aficionado.

I consider myself a Grady Hendrix fan and especially loved Horrorstor, My Best Friend's Exorcism. and the Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires. Unfortunately, however, this one was a miss for me. I was totally on board for the overall concept as an homage to 80s and 90s teen horror movies, but the execution was poor. A meandering plot, not enough clarity in the writing, too many characters to remember their stories, and a level of absurdity that made the story not very enjoyable. I'll definitely stick with this author, but The Final Girls Support Group will not be a reread.

This copy was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and the publisher for review. All opinions are my own.

The final girl support group was a fun and thrilling twist on what happens to the surviving girls we see depicted in slasher movies. Like, the final girls from our classic, well known horror movies that even got their equally terrifying sequels, final girls who truly do need therapy.

While I think I enjoy Grady Hendrix's novels better as audio books, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I literally did not want to put it down. The end was fast, thrilling and bloody... and for once, I never saw the true villain coming. Besides the play on the classic survivor of the horror genre, there was an interesting dynamic as we learn more about our main protagonist and her not so 'final girl' status within the support group. Her paranoia permeates the story and has you on edge the entire time. I cried, laughed, held the book tighter and was disturbed by the horror each of the final girls faced on multiple occasions.

I recommend picking it up this spooky season and giving it a try. More thriller suspense than horror if that is what you are worried about.

You don't have to be into slasher films to enjoy this book, but it helps. I liked the development of all of the final girls in the support group. I liked the build up to finding out what happened to Lynette, as to why some didn't consider a true final girl. The end was fast paced and sufficiently worthy of a horror film.