Cover Image: Fossil Hunter

Fossil Hunter

I've read several enjoyable fiction books about Mary Anning, but this is the first middle grade non-fiction book I've read about her.  Blackford writes a well-researched, completely factual account that still reads like a good story.  She paints a picture of the time period when when scientists (and avid amateur collectors), all men of course, were beginning to use fossils to understand prehistoric creatures that no longer exist, and then she recounts Mary's life and her amazing discoveries.  Highly recommended for readers of any age interested in overlooked female scientists or in the history of how we learned about the prehistoric world.
This biography of Mary Anning is astounding! I’m not a big fan of nonfiction, and I was never a “dinosaur kid,” but this book enraptured me! It’s the perfect combo of interesting, narrative in framing, and enthralling that makes you want to keep turning the pages. It would be ideal for 3rd-5th graders. There is a timeline of Anning’s life, a glossary, a bibliography, and a list of where you can see Anning’s fossils in museums across the globe.