Cover Image: How Did I Get Here?

How Did I Get Here?

Everyone can find themselves lost in life or their relationship with God. We can become confused, frustrated, disappointed, and discouraged. We can be unsure of our purpose, significance, calling, and path in life. I know I have felt this way in my life and felt like quitting or giving up. This is where Christine Caine's book How Did I Get Here? finds us. Christine wrote this book when she was in a place of chaos, uncertainty, and ready to quit. How Did I Get Here? is a book on drifting in our faith and our relationship with God. Based on Hebrews 2:1-4 this book deals with 8 ways that point to drifting in our faith and away from God - such as "You Know You've Drifted When...You Stop Healing and You Start Seeping or You Know You've Drifted When...You Stop Praying and You Start Talking." The chapters contain personal stories, personal revelation, Scripture, encouragement, and ways to get back on course in our faith.
This book is an inspiration and encouragement to me letting me know I am not alone when I drift in my faith, doubt God, and find myself frustrated or disappointed in my life. I recommend this book to everyone - those who are lost or disappointed with their lives, those who are ready to quit and ring the bell, and even those who are confident and satisfied with their lives. We can find ourselves in these categories at different times or seasons of our lives. This book can help us be aware of when we get off course in our faith and guide us back to where we are called to be in life and our relationship with God. I received an advanced copy of this book for my honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
It was an absolute privilege to be part of Christine Caine's launch team for her new book "How Did I Get Here?". Christine wrote her latest book during the COVID-19 pandemic. From the beginning, we see how Christine's teaching gives us practical advice to navigate turbulent waters and the storms of our lives while staying firmly anchored to Jesus. Like Christine's other books, she brings honesty, rawness and vulnerability to her readers. Christine's book encompasses humour, biblical truths, and personal anecdotes in a season where many of us have felt isolated or alone. It is incredibly inspiring, insightful and relevant to the season we are in right now. It poses the simple question many of us have asked at one stage or another of our lives - "How Did I Get Here?".

I could not put this book down and found myself highlighting many passages and scriptures for future reference. Through reading this book, I realised that I was also drifting in this season. This book reinforced that no matter how far we may be adrift, we can always find our way back to God. By the end of this book, I no longer wanted to "ring the bell" and knew that my anchor is firmly secured to Jesus. I highly recommend this book to anyone who feels like they are in unchartered waters and needs an alignment to stay or get back on course.
Timely encouragement, filled with Biblical truths. Caine writes in a voice that is strong yet humble, challenging yet gentle. How Did I Get Here is a thought provoking read for all that actively desire to be anchored in the truth of God’s Word.
Christine is a champion of others and a constant source of empowerment to fight the good fight of faith. This book has had a direct impact on my life as I continue to find the God-given assignment over my life. When all else is stripped away, I’m left with Jesus, and that is more than enough. I encourage readers read this book to find their authority in Christ and to walk out whatever comes their way. We all hit roadblocks and this book so beautifully addresses how to push through adversity and choose faith. Thank you Chris!
I've been a long time follower of Christine so i was super excited to be on the launch team of How did i get here? A question a lot of us asks ourselves a lot but have no answer to most of the time.
In this book Christine unpacks Faith so relatably  with vivid descriptions and stories sure to stick with well after you've dropped this book. Personally this book was just what i needed and I'm sure it would be as well. If you're struggling with having Faith when things don't go according to plan. I'd totally recommend this book for anyone whether Old or just starting out in their Christian faith. This book is such an encouraging read that i think shouldn't just be read but referenced when you're faith needs encouraging and strength to trust.
I was part of the book launch team for How Did I Get Here? by Christine Caine.  This book is a great reminder that at some point in our walk with the Lord, we all  lose sight of what should be our goal.  If you have found yourself drifting, questions, not connecting with God as you used to or never have, I encourage you to give this book a read.  I myself over the past year have felt myself slipping away and out of habitats, some to do with the pandemic and for other reasons I can't name.  Thank you Christine for putting everything into perceptive and giving me tools to get back on track.
This is an excellent read. You will want this book in your library. It builds hope and encouragement through a biblical lens when you feel like giving up.
Let me start by stating that I'm a fan of Christine Caine. I've read all of her books and been impressed with each. Now let me say, "How Did I Get Here?" is her best book yet.

Caine tackles the topic of "drift". It may not sound like a huge problem, but those of us who call ourselves Christians know the topic too well. It's not that we lose our faith. It's more that our faith loses us. Of course, that's not to blame drift on God. It's all our doing. It's an easy trap to fall into. We're busy. It's raining. My daughter has a soccer tournament. I'm on vacation. Name it and claim it.

When drift hits a person as passionate about Jesus as Christine Caine, you know it can strike anyone.

Ms. Caine deals with the malady honestly and Biblically. She pulls no punches. Scripture is quoted frequently. Real life stories are told candidly.

This is a five star book for any Christian who needs a refresher course in maintaining a spiritual life of excellence.
This book is important for several reasons.  It reaches a wide variety of readers from any Christian background and talks about a topic that is not talked about a lot in Christian circles.  This idea of the slow drift and the intentionality needed to stay rooted in Christ.
The author uses excellent imagery through story telling from her own life experiences to firmly root the concepts into your mind and heart.  She also uses humor, which made this hard topic joyful to engage.  If you have ever listened to the author speak or preach you will appreciate this book even more.  You can hear her voice as if she is reading it to you with her zeal, passion and clarity.
Although I am not currently in a season of drifting from Christ and his purposes for me this book was perfect for giving clarity to past seasons of drifting and markers for potential future drifting to avoid unnecessarily.
If you are looking for a good read that brings joy, contemplation, reflection and renewed commitment to Jesus and his purposes for you - read this book.  If you have forgotten what was always meant to firmly root you this side of eternity- read this book.  If you have lost your desire to engage with God and His people- read this book.  If you are wondering why bother- read this book.  If you want purpose back in serving God- read this book.  If you have fallen into the flow of cultural Christians - doing all the things because you are suppose to- read this book.
I not only enjoyed reading this book, but I feel it helped ‘set the anchor’ as I grow in my relationship with God and the ministry he has called me into.
Where do I start?  Christine Caine has provided just the right message at just the right time!  Have you found yourself stuck?  Are you questioning your path and your purpose?  Wondering if you are missing the mark or just feeling not quite right and can't wrap your head around what might be wrong?  Christine shows us that we are prone to drift, identifies the ways we drift and points us straight back to our anchor...Jesus.

I received an advance copy of the book for an honest review.
Rarely while reading a galley do I feel the need to order a a physical copy of a book before I’ve even finished the first chapter. But that is exactly what happened with How Did I Get Here?

This book entered my life at the most perfect time, and Christine’s message throughout of remaining anchored in Christ is the thing I honestly kept forgetting to do.

As she states, it is so easy to drift and not even know you’re drifting. That’s a season I’ve been walking through for a while, and didn’t even realize. I just knew my life was missing something, and Jesus is the answer.

I want to thank Christine Caine for her message to stay anchored. (I foresee an anchor tattoo in the not so distant future. 😉⚓️) I desperately needed to hear this message. Her words were a bandaid for my battered soul.
The new book by author Christine Caine, How Did I Get Here, is a timely look at how we drift in our spiritual lives and relationship with God.  Her insights on what causes us to drift touches at places we are all living in right now.  She says you drift when, you stop trusting and start controlling, stop healing and start seeping, stop wondering and start wandering, stop praying and start talking, stop gathering and start insolating, stop hungering and start gorging, stop working and start watching, stop pressing and start coasting.  The year 2020 set us adrift, no doubt about that and this book is a tool to help the reader understand there is an anchor that will hold their lives secure, no matter what the circumstances are around them.  And not only be introduced to the anchor that holds, but also gives insights on how to check the links in the chain that our anchor is attached to, and how to set that anchor firmly so we will not drift.  This book is a user-friendly read, but packed with nourishing protein to build your spiritual bones.   Everyone can relate to the author saying, we drift because our trust gets shaken but paying attention is the antidote to drifting.  This book will guide the reader to what they need to pay attention to and how to pay attention to it.
I was given an advance copy by the publisher for a fair review.
I did not realize this was Christine Caine book. So, I did not read it nor download it. I do not wish to leave a review for it.
This book took a little bit..not because it wasn’t wonderful, but because I kept stopping to highlight passages. This book is so very needed right now in this world, and I am so thankful to have read it. I can’t recommend it enough if you ever have days where the stress and anxiety just get to be (almost) too much.
This is the first book I have read by Christine Caine.  I have seen her speak "Live" on many gatherings via live stream, like IF Gatherings.  I have also followed her for a while on social media and lover her powerful videos..  I was very moved by her vulnerability in this book.  She seems to "have it all together" in her lives and videos, so the vulnerability took me by surprise, in a very good way.
Such a great reminder of this:   We ALL struggle.  AND it is OK to admit it.
We serve a God that is OK with our struggles, who understands and loves us anyway.

I received a pre-release copy of this book.
I must confess that I’m a lover of all things Christine Caine! I love her straightforward and practical teaching style, her stories and vibrant dedication to justice and the church as a whole.
So when I saw this title on Netgalley I excitedly requested to receive it in exchange for an honest review.

This book was clearly written during 2020 during lockdowns, social distancing and stay at home orders. I think many books now coming out written during this time have a similar theme because many were challenged to see what they were really grounding themselves in and that theme is throughout this book.  So many of us found ourselves asking the question of “How did I get here?”  In this book Caine gently and firmly reminds believers how easy it really is to drift away from God and His purpose for you.  With scripture, practical tips, stories both humorous and serious, Caine guides people to confront their passivity in areas of their walk with Christ, to be honest we ourselves and each other  and leads the reader back to Christ Himself.

I deeply appreciated the chance to review this title and I would recommend it to many.
This has been a difficult year for the world facing a global pandemic.  As an educator, I found myself constantly redefining our role and being forced to isolate farther from people.  As we have moved to a better normal, returned to school and begun to thrive, it was also easy to recognize I had drifted.

Christine Caine addresses this I. “How did I get here?”  She illustrates her points for returning to God and thriving in Him by relating to the reader with the real struggles.  Caine brings in the verses from the Bible that bring is hope and remind us we aren’t alone in our  drift. She outlines the signs of drifting and counter actions needed to get back on track.

Excellent book to keep handy ad re-read when yiu need that reminder to anchor in to God.
In this book Christine Caine, a prominent Christian author, speaker and activist candidly describes how she slowly drifted and was tempted to drift to the point where she finally asked herself, “How did I get here?”  Using stories, insights from the scriptures and Christine’s keen sense of humor, she shared how she was able to ultimately change the direction of her course and firmly re-anchor herself in Christ so readers in the same position may follow suit.

I really enjoyed reading this book and learning how God enabled Christine to overcome a very difficult childhood to become an agent of change and a positive example for many in today’s world. Christine very openly discusses her faith, the various signs that the reader may be drifting, even those that are successful Christians like herself where all appears to be well on the outside, and how to reposition themselves in a steadfast and immovable manner.

I highly recommend this book to all Christians who may find themselves at one point or another asking, “How did I get here?”
I was encouraged by this authors’ transparent approach in her writing style. The author shows readers that they are not the only one drifting, trying to get anchored again, she offers help in re-setting their markers after everything shifted in a big way in 2020. I like how this author addresses the fact that we all experienced something historic this past year and with its many challenges in make sense out of everyday life.

It is like we have come up for air and are trying to see clearly the way to go in order to get connected to our anchor Jesus, again. The author begins by sharing where she is at and how Navy SEALs go through horrific training and can ring a bell at any time to stop the process, and the pain. No questions asked. The author says that she has felt like ringing the bell in her personal life, saying Father I’ve had enough. It is in times like these He asks us to press into Him for our courage, strength, and wisdom. She says, “If Jesus could endure his entire race, then I know that we can, too, and not just because he became fully man and demonstrated it for us – but because we are filled with the Holy Spirit!. We are filled with the power to press on!”

I liked all the examples the author shows (through personal experience and other examples from the bible with scripture references) The author shows that it is all the little things we do that make us drift off course and lose sight of keeping the main thing the main thing.

This is the first book I have read by this author it will not be the last. This book is a keeper and one I look forward to reading again as I look up all the bible references and soak all of it in.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I have received a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network blog www.bookfun.org