Cover Image: How Did I Get Here?

How Did I Get Here?

I did not realize this was Christine Caine book. So, I did not read it nor download it. I do not wish to leave a review for it.
This book took a little bit..not because it wasn’t wonderful, but because I kept stopping to highlight passages. This book is so very needed right now in this world, and I am so thankful to have read it. I can’t recommend it enough if you ever have days where the stress and anxiety just get to be (almost) too much.
This is the first book I have read by Christine Caine.  I have seen her speak "Live" on many gatherings via live stream, like IF Gatherings.  I have also followed her for a while on social media and lover her powerful videos..  I was very moved by her vulnerability in this book.  She seems to "have it all together" in her lives and videos, so the vulnerability took me by surprise, in a very good way.
Such a great reminder of this:   We ALL struggle.  AND it is OK to admit it.
We serve a God that is OK with our struggles, who understands and loves us anyway.

I received a pre-release copy of this book.
I must confess that I’m a lover of all things Christine Caine! I love her straightforward and practical teaching style, her stories and vibrant dedication to justice and the church as a whole.
So when I saw this title on Netgalley I excitedly requested to receive it in exchange for an honest review.

This book was clearly written during 2020 during lockdowns, social distancing and stay at home orders. I think many books now coming out written during this time have a similar theme because many were challenged to see what they were really grounding themselves in and that theme is throughout this book.  So many of us found ourselves asking the question of “How did I get here?”  In this book Caine gently and firmly reminds believers how easy it really is to drift away from God and His purpose for you.  With scripture, practical tips, stories both humorous and serious, Caine guides people to confront their passivity in areas of their walk with Christ, to be honest we ourselves and each other  and leads the reader back to Christ Himself.

I deeply appreciated the chance to review this title and I would recommend it to many.
This has been a difficult year for the world facing a global pandemic.  As an educator, I found myself constantly redefining our role and being forced to isolate farther from people.  As we have moved to a better normal, returned to school and begun to thrive, it was also easy to recognize I had drifted.

Christine Caine addresses this I. “How did I get here?”  She illustrates her points for returning to God and thriving in Him by relating to the reader with the real struggles.  Caine brings in the verses from the Bible that bring is hope and remind us we aren’t alone in our  drift. She outlines the signs of drifting and counter actions needed to get back on track.

Excellent book to keep handy ad re-read when yiu need that reminder to anchor in to God.
In this book Christine Caine, a prominent Christian author, speaker and activist candidly describes how she slowly drifted and was tempted to drift to the point where she finally asked herself, “How did I get here?”  Using stories, insights from the scriptures and Christine’s keen sense of humor, she shared how she was able to ultimately change the direction of her course and firmly re-anchor herself in Christ so readers in the same position may follow suit.

I really enjoyed reading this book and learning how God enabled Christine to overcome a very difficult childhood to become an agent of change and a positive example for many in today’s world. Christine very openly discusses her faith, the various signs that the reader may be drifting, even those that are successful Christians like herself where all appears to be well on the outside, and how to reposition themselves in a steadfast and immovable manner.

I highly recommend this book to all Christians who may find themselves at one point or another asking, “How did I get here?”
I was encouraged by this authors’ transparent approach in her writing style. The author shows readers that they are not the only one drifting, trying to get anchored again, she offers help in re-setting their markers after everything shifted in a big way in 2020. I like how this author addresses the fact that we all experienced something historic this past year and with its many challenges in make sense out of everyday life.

It is like we have come up for air and are trying to see clearly the way to go in order to get connected to our anchor Jesus, again. The author begins by sharing where she is at and how Navy SEALs go through horrific training and can ring a bell at any time to stop the process, and the pain. No questions asked. The author says that she has felt like ringing the bell in her personal life, saying Father I’ve had enough. It is in times like these He asks us to press into Him for our courage, strength, and wisdom. She says, “If Jesus could endure his entire race, then I know that we can, too, and not just because he became fully man and demonstrated it for us – but because we are filled with the Holy Spirit!. We are filled with the power to press on!”

I liked all the examples the author shows (through personal experience and other examples from the bible with scripture references) The author shows that it is all the little things we do that make us drift off course and lose sight of keeping the main thing the main thing.

This is the first book I have read by this author it will not be the last. This book is a keeper and one I look forward to reading again as I look up all the bible references and soak all of it in.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I have received a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network blog www.bookfun.org