Cover Image: Sydney and Taylor and the Great Friend Expedition

Sydney and Taylor and the Great Friend Expedition

I received a free digital ARC from Clarion Books via NetGalley. This 3rd book in the series was another fabulous addition for emerging chapter book readers. Sydney and Taylor are on an adventure to find new friends. Sydney doesn’t really want to make new friends, but because Taylor wants to he agrees to go out and make friends. There are ups and downs, teamwork, and references to the previous books. This book stresses what a “sincere compliment” is and it was a good discussion to have with my son. Recommended.
This is one of my new favorite series.  The pictures are gorgeous, the story is engaging, and you can’t help but love the skunk and hedgehog.  I hope they continue their adventures soon.
Cute little chapter book for littles. This is my first in the series but it’s easy to follow nonetheless. Very much earlier reader chapter book but a sure fire winner
I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.  I had to request it because it had a hedgehog as a character.  Sydney and Taylor have a great friendship but would like a few more friends.  This can be difficult when you're a skunk and a hedgehog.  I didn't realize this was a series when I began reading and would recommend reading them in order to have a better understanding of the setting and other characters in the story.  It was; however, a delightful tale, and I would recommend it to readers who like the Owl Diaries.
This is an early chapter book that will grab your students' interest from the very first page. If you're wondering what reading level this book is for, I would compare it to the Branches imprint publishing. (It may even be from Branches, but I did not find any confirming information.) Your fans of Unicorn Diaries, Owl Diaries, and Ella and Owen will enjoy new characters and the accessible text. The illustrations are colorful and detailed. There's a lot to get out of them, so I would recommend giving children a heads up to examine the illustrations too.

As far as the story itself goes, I love the storyline of two best friends going out to make more friends. It seems most children feel like they can only have one friend at a time and this story will help demonstrate that it is normal and healthy to have many friends! Kids may also glean some fun "making friends" tips throughout the story.
Even though this book is part of an early chapter book series, you can read it as a stand-alone and still enjoy it. Sydney, the skunk, and Taylor, the porcupine, are best friends. However, Taylor knows that to have a great party you need more friends. With the help of Sydney, Taylor sets out to make more friends. The story is nice, with easy-to-read text, which is perfect for newly independent readers. The illustrations are colorful and nice, and match the text. A really fun book which is part of a really fun series.
I can't wait to hand this story off to our beginning readers. Sydney and Taylor are so much fun! They've explored the world, taken a leap and now they embark on a great friend expedition unlike any other.
This book was received as an ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group - HMH Books for Young Readers in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I am familiar with the Sydney and Taylor series and our young patrons love them and the adventures they get themselves into. There is no big adventure than making new friends. A friend can be anyone that can give you a compliment and share wonderful stories with but in order to make friends, you have to be a friend to them. The friends Sydney and Taylor make are the friends that would be unexpecting to humans such as a bat, rabbit and shrew and then when you meet one friend, they'll introduce you to another friend and then your friendship chain will grow and they will be there when you need them and of course, you will be there for them if they need you. Children will learn a lot from the brilliant theme Jacqueline Davies has created and of course Deborah Hocking's illustrations will definitely help bring the story to life.

We will consider adding this title to our JFiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
Our two main characters are Sydney (the skunk) and Taylor (the hedgehog) and they are each other's best friends which I think is absolutely the cutest thing for as long as each other can remember and as the story progresses we discover how they became best friends. Sydney is content to keep it as it is but Taylor wants them to make other friends so that can celebrate holidays, share food, or even parties with them.

Neither really know how to go about making friends and wonder if other animals will like them. Thankfully Sydney is there to offer support and agrees to them making more friends. So they head outside to see if they can see anyone who wants to be friends with them. They spot a bird, a rabbit, a bat, and a shrew. Not sure what to do or how to do it they decide to start with pleasant conversations only that doesn't go as planned. What else can Taylor do to get friends because he has tried everything?

Will Taylor and Sydney discover the trick to make friends? To find out the answer you definitely need to read this.
I was a liiiiittle disappointed in this one! I thought the threat of impending drowning was a little much for kids, even though it all ends up okay. The story is still precious, and I love Sydney and Taylor!
This was a cute book for early readers along the lines of Mercy Watson levels. I think the plot could have been slightly more fleshed out and still remained a kids book, but overall the illustrations were adorable and it was a good book.
Thank you to Netgally for providing this advanced readers copy.

This early chapter book is great for fans of "Ivy and Bean" or "The Owl Diaries". Not only are the illustrations super cute and remind me of Winnie the Pooh, but they do a great job to push the story along. This story is all about friendships. You have the friendship of Sydney and Taylor who are best friends and slight outcast being a hedgehog and Skunk. You have the friendships formed with all the other animals in the area, these friendships seem non-existent at first, but after a crisis they really bond. Finally, you see the friendship with the woman who owns the house they have burrowed under. Not only is this an invisible friendship, but she saves them when they are in real trouble. Overall, I highly recommend this series for emerging readers.
I LOVE Sydney and Taylor!  They are some of my new favorite children's book characters.  This third entry in the series doesn't disappoint.  Taylor continues to have Big Ideas; Sydney continues to support his friend.  What I love most is how, in a market flooded with books addressing SEL issues, this story is all about how to make friends without slipping into being didactic.  A great book to read aloud or for independent reading by 1st-3rd graders.  I can't wait to get this whole series into the hands of readers!
This is the second book that I have read by Ms. Davies and I loved it!!  My 7 year old grandson read it and loved it. The illustrations are detailed and really cute. The illustrator is Deborah Hocking and she is so talented and knows what kids like!

We especially loved the beginning of the book that showed the burrow that Sydney and Taylor lived in. There were 7 rooms including bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, etc. We loved looking at all of the little animal sized furniture, cookware, books, etc.

The two main characters are Sydney, a skunk, and Taylor, a hedgehog. They have been friends for as long as they can remember and live together in a burrow under the ground.

Sydney is more of a homebody and likes to do crossword puzzles and read. Taylor is creative and likes to make art projects and other things out of acorns. Taylor likes to take adventures in The Big Wide World!!!!

One day Taylor tells Sydney that he has a Big Idea!!  “We should make friends!” said Taylor. Make friends?” asked Sydney. Why?” Taylor tells Sydney “They could have parties and picnics. They could even have dances in the Backyard under a bright full moon. It will be our biggest adventure yet!”

Sydney finally goes along with Taylor’s plan because they are best friends!

Without giving away all of the story I will tell you that they eventually make friends with a bat, a screw and a rabbit.They learn how to make friends by giving nice compliments, being friendly and helping each other out! During a large rainstorm when the burrow is filled with water they learn how wonderful it is to have friends, even human ones like Miss Nancy!

I can highly recommend this book either as a read to book for younger children or a read it yourself chapter book for early readers.There are lots of laugh out loud moments so adults will enjoy reading along with their child. There are wonderful life lessons to be learned in all of Ms. Davies books.

This book will publish on February 8, 2022
This is a great easy reader/early chapter series. I love the illustrations and the message. These books are a great addition to a public library collection.
First sentence: Sydney and Taylor live in a burrow under Miss Nancy’s potting shed. Most days are quiet. Sydney likes to do crossword puzzles. Taylor likes to make acorn sculptures. But sometimes Taylor gets a Big Idea. Sydney wishes Taylor did not get so many ideas. He would rather stay home.

Premise/plot: Sydney and Taylor are friends--best friends. But that doesn't stop Taylor from wanting to make other friends. And he wants Sydney to be just as excited to make new friends. He has a plan, a big plan.

It is the third book in the Sydney and Taylor early chapter book series published by HMH. The first two are Sydney and Taylor Explore the Whole Wide World and Sydney and Taylor Take a Flying Leap. Both books are 2021 publications. (Sadly I didn't have access to review copies of those two).

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one! Though it was the third in the series, I think it works even as a stand alone. It did make me want to read the other two books. And I'd definitely want to read any future books starring these two friends. The books are funny, cute, charming.

I identified most with Sydney:

“I don’t like adventures,” said Sydney. “They make me late for lunch.”

“Sydney? Do you think the other animals like us?” “Of course they don’t!” said Sydney, cheerfully. “You’re prickly and I stink!” “Well, no one’s perfect!” said Taylor. “Exactly,” said Sydney. “That’s why we should keep things as they are.”

“Sydney,” whispered Taylor, doing his best to keep his spine straight. “I am going to make pleasant conversation.” Taylor had read several books in which characters became friends by having a pleasant conversation.