Cover Image: A Home in the Sun

A Home in the Sun

I absolutely love rom com/ chick lit books. I mean what's not to love, romantic storylines, a will they won't they tossle, funny laugh out loud moments, a uplifting book that will make you smile from ear to ear. All this plus great characters, great settings and the ability to take you away from all the mess and worry in the world at the moment can be found inside this book. Loved it.
Plot good but execution not so much😕

3.5🌟stars
The emotional journey of principal character Judith as she experiences divorce, new romance, sudden and tragic loss, her mother's fragility, stepmotherhood, new opportunities for friendship and romance and a search for closure was the heart of this novel and that I liked.  Unfortunately, the story is padded with too many unnecessary descriptions, particularly in the last twenty percent, that hold the action back instead of advancing the story.  I found the travelogue content about Malta too detailed and a bit tedious.  A good deal of my frustration with the slowed pace was at the end of the book and, thus, left a meh final impression

Thanks to Avon Books and NetGalley for sharing a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest opinion.
What can I say, you can't go wrong with any novel by Sue Moorcroft and this is no different.  This has some very sad moments but a lot of happiness. Dual countries but it works very well. I intend to re-read this at a later date as it was so good.  5 stars and I  recommend this. Easy to read and very enjoyable.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this eARC
A Home in the Sun is an amazing book, I have a book hangover from it and I don't want to start a new book! All the characters in the book - main, secondary, tertiary are fabulously developed into the story and are so interesting and engaging. You feel everything in this book happy, despair, fear, anger, hope... Just fantastic, not your average romance.
I never used to like the beach-read, happily-ever-after type books, preferring edge of your seat thrillers. But as the real world seems to get darker, the more I have grown to love these warming, cuddly reads, and Sue Moorcroft is definitely the lady to go to.

I’ve never been to Malta, but Sue writes it in such a glorious way I feel like I’m right there, but not in an over-the-top gimmicky touristy way. She also manages to perfectly depict a sense of homesickness, for both a country and a person. There’s a great explanation of grief and loss that never crosses the line. It’s such a warming, comforting book that will suit any reader. It has laughter and tears, joy and sadness, love and death.

What I really liked is Sue’s depiction of Adam. [MINOR PLOT SPOILERS COMING] Adam has a disability with his hand where he is missing some fingers. But this isn’t used for entertainment or for him to just be the “token disabled character”. He just so happens to be a man with a disability and I love that. So often I read characters who have only been given a disability because it’s an interesting character trait, or it’s the reason something has happened or will happen. Just to have a character being like every other character - but with bits missing - is just a pleasure to read.
Estate agent Judith is happily settled in Malta, leading her dream life in the sun with handsome younger lover Giorgio. But then Giorgio is killed in a tragic accident and Judith bows to pressure from his unforgiving family and her own grief, fleeing back to the UK to rebuild her life. There she's soon caught up in more family drama with her mum, sister and stepson, while also taking on a new job as photographer's assistant to Adam, a man with emotional issues of her own. Will Judith settle for life in England, or will her longing for the sunny shores of Malta prove too much?
This is a reissue of Sue Moorcroft's very first book, which I hadn't read, and it stacks up very well with her later books, with strong, sympathetic characters, a multi-layered plot exploring life challenges for different generations, and a slow-burning, very satisfactory romance. Judith is a really engaging character - she has so many issues of her own and other people's to handle, and does it all with grace, humour and courage. Adam is very appealing, too - strong, sexy, yet vulnerable. Their two stories entwine in a most satisfactory way, yet, just as it would be in real life, the reader is never sure what the final outcome will be. A definite five-star romantic read.
The setting of this story begins in beautiful Malta, with it deeply religious history and at time in the very near past, when married Maltese people were not allowed to divorce.

Complicated relationships lead to a move back to the UK, but a 'return to Malta for the closure needed puts Judith's future happiness in jeopardy.

A bittersweet tale of forbidden love, tragic twist, and a blast from the past makes this book un-put-down-able.
Judith moved to Malta and rebuilt her life and found love with Giorgio.  Mind you, he was younger and won't acknowledge her because he's still married, but they are happy.  Then he dies and Judith's life goes belly up.  SO much so that she opts to move back to England.  She's miserable.  But then there's Adam and she has to decide about her future.  NO spoilers from me.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  Moorcroft has a way with books in sunny settings and while not all of this is on Malta, there's enough to make you put it on your travel list.
A Home in the Sun - Sue Moorcroft

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books and I am leaving this review voluntarily

Home is where the heart is…but what if your heart is broken?

When Judith loses her partner, she loses her life in Malta too – including the beautiful view from her sun-warmed balcony of the sparkling blue waters of Sliema Creek.

Back in England, Judith finds a spare room in her sister’s house where she grew up – but with it comes a whole host of family dramas. Nursing a broken heart, Judith knows she must find happiness again – and rebuild her life on her own terms.

It is my understanding that this is a republication of Moorcroft's novel, Uphill All the Way. As with all books by Sue, the main characters are all very likeable. This is an emotional read but it is both rewarding and interesting.

Overall, a very enjoyable and great book to be read this summer. If you have read any of the more recent books by Sue, then this book has a slightly different feel to it as her writing style has changed over the years but nevertheless this is a book I would recommend.

Rating 4/5
This novel takes the reader to the sunny shores of Sliema in Malta. Judith had gone to Malta and started a relationship with Giorgio, although she knew he was a married man so initially had reservations. However she loved her new life in the sunshine with him. When a tragic accident tears her life apart she flees back to the UK, but can she find happiness there or is she destined to go back to Malta.  This is perfect summer reading.
This was a delightful story set in Malta in part and in England. Judith has established herself in Malta for the last four years.
She has found love with Giorgio and although there are drawbacks (he will not publicly acknowledge her in keeping with the customs       of his family despite being separated from his wife for fourteen years) Judith is undoubtedly happy. She has a stake in her    uncle's business, she has made investments with Giorgio's travel company and she finds the climate, the general joie de vivre of  Malta bright and cheerful and uplifting.

When Giorgio dies suddenly, she is bereft especially when she realises how alone she has become and she now decides to return home  to England. This was not a success. Her sister is set in her ways, seems to have plenty of issues in her own marriage and then  Judith is told that her investment with Giorgio's company is a write off so she seeks part time employment as well as tries to gether house back which she gave on rent.

The solitude she craves for to grieve in private is not to be with everyone from her sister with her troubles, to her step son and  then her ex husband weighing heavily on her mentally. Judith knows for her own sanity she has to get rid of them all if she is to  come out of her period of mourning in one piece and sane!

The ups and downs of family life, helping one another in crisis, the chauvinistic attitudes of some males which never seem to change  and Judith's own fighting spirit of survival is well shown in this delightful novel. The romance also helps!
Sue Moorcroft does it again!

There is something so comforting about picking up a book written by Sue! This is no different, a perfect summer read for a rainy English summer!
Another delightful story from Sue Moorcroft. All the ups and downs of life illustrated by engaging characters, within an interesting storyline. and  picturesque surroundings. I loved the build up to the conclusion. Great read!
Sue Moorcroft's writing is so descriptive that I was swept off my feet to the beautiful, holiday destination of Malta whilst experiencing a guantlet of different emotions whilst reading this book.

A beautiful, heartwarming read with a strong fremale protagonist and loveable characters that you actually begin to care about.  The storyline interwoven with romance, heartache, grief and forgiveness had me going through a range of emotions.

A well written, emotional and heartwarming read. I loved it.
I absolutely loved this book, as I have loved all of Sue Moorcroft's stories. Each brings to life a different Mediterranean holiday, and this is no exception. The story starts in sunny Malta, and you can almost smell the sea air, feel the sun on your face, and taste the salty tang of the sea whilst you read this book. I have never been to Malta but now I am desperate to go and visit some of the places described in the book.

The story begins with Judith, who after a bad divorce in England has moved to an idyllic life in Malta. She has a wonderful job with her Uncle, a lovely apartment, and a gorgeous and much younger boyfriend. She thinks finally her life is on track. Unfortunately one tragic accident can bring the whole house of cards tumbling down. Take a journey with Judith through self development, and discover that sometimes things have a way of working themselves out in the most unexpected ways.

A wonderful summer read, but with all the travel restrictions this may be the nearest you get to a holiday abroad.

Nursing a broken heart after losing her partner, Judith decides to leave lovely Malta and return home to England. Staying at her sister's house she must face the future. A set of thoroughly like able characters that you can expect from Sue. I enjoyed the emotional journey that Judith embarked on to create a new future.
I couldn't put this book down! A fantastic read, written with feeling.

Judith's life has certainly been through ups and downs - and in this book we get to travel with her for a while.

A story of loss, of love, of injustice - and, ultimately, a story of life.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐from me.
Very poorly written and non engaging. The story line seemed forced and the character disingenuous.  I do not recommend this book..
Just brilliant!!! This is a story of hope and recreation, when your life and heart is broken, you can find silver linings in those clouds.
Judith is living her ideal life in Malta, but it does have its difficulties which she chooses to live with. When it all falls apart she needs to get home to her sister Molly and mum Wilma. What will she do now?
The family characters are so well written and observed if frustrating and not really likable.
The Maltese culture and Islands beautifully portrayed.
Interesting, heart warming and real.
Another fantastic book from Sue Moorcroft.
Thank you for the early read NetGalley much appreciated.
A Home in the Sun is the latest book from Sue Moorcroft. We follow Judith who, after losing her partner, feels like she has lost her life in Malta too so decides to return to England and to her sister’s spare room. Missing the island views from her sun trap balcony, she’s soon drawn into all manner of dramas whilst still nursing a broken heart. She’s desperate to find happiness again but can she find it in England or will she return to the island. This is a beautiful heartwarming and engaging novel with some fabulous characters. I would rate it 4.5 stars. Thank you to NetGalley, Avon Books UK and the author for the chance to review.