Cover Image: The Unwelcome Guest

The Unwelcome Guest

This was everything that I look for in a good domestic thriller-a scary mother in law, secrets and a nanny thrown into the mix what could go more wrong?

The storyline was enticing and I found myself not wanting to put the book down to find out what happens next, and if things will be ok for Saffron. At what lengths will she go to, to protect her family from her mother in law?

Run don't walk for your copy.

A big thank you to netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
”Your mother in-law moves in…And she wants you out…”

I do enjoy a good mother in-law from hell tale and wearing the crown proudly in this one is Caprice. Oh my does she put Saffron through the wringer trying to break up her marriage, but then again would anyone be good enough for her favourite child…

It all unfolds through the points of view of Saffron, Caprice, Miles the husband, Hayley the nanny and Aiden the brother in-law! Many perspectives, but I did enjoy them all. Each character, not all particularly likeable, are well fleshed out and play their role well.

The one thing you can always count on from a book from Robson, is a very entertaining read with twists galore and you get that in spades with The Unwelcome Guest! Hooked from the outset, the pages just turned themselve and it’s quick pace made for a one sitting read. Super fun all round!

Thank you to Amanda Robson, Avon Books and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of The Unwelcome Guest, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Unfortunately this book was not for me, it was a bit slower than I would like and it just didn't hold my attention. I am sure other people will love it!
This book was everything I look for in a book. It was so exciting. The plot was fantastic. It really had me on the edge of my seat, and my heart racing. It was very well written and flowed well.
The Unwelcome Guest was my first Amanda Robson novel, and it definitely won't be my last! I liked that the story was told from several different perspectives, and  all the characters were interesting to read about. Caprice was the mother-in-law from Hell and made me very glad that I'm single. This book kept me guessing, and I thought the ending was great. Thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for giving me the opportunity to read and review The Unwelcome Guest...I'm looking forward to reading everything else Amanda Robson has written. : )
Brilliant read. The plot and characters were really impressive and loved the twist at the end. The main character's relationship with her mother in law was truly devious and entertaining
I requested this book because of the author. I have read Robsons’ other novels and enjoyed them. However, the plot with the evil mother-in-law moving into the home has been so overdone lately that I just did not enjoy this at all. All this book did was make me angry. If you have not read a book with this particular plot before, go for it, but if you have like me,I wouldn’t recommend it
Wow did this book ever give the line “mother-in-law from hell” new meaning. For those of you who love family drama, you might like this one, but the  drama was honestly just too much for me. I couldn’t make sense as to why Caprice hated her daughter-in-law to this extent. I also cringed at the old thinking expressed by Caprice and her constant air of superiority. This book is relatively fast paced, some POV chapters are SO short, it honestly was easy to miss and sometimes seemed to be only a sentence or two, which broke the flow. The audiobook, I must say, did have excellent narrators. All in all, an OK read, especially if you like the drama but from a thriller aspect, I wasn’t super invested or drawn into the story. I also feel like the brother and all his shenanigans were just unnecessary to the plot and created even more drama for the sake of it.

CW: death, child abuse, physical assault, gaslighting.

A big thanks to Avon and NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
Well what a dark ,compulsive and twisty read. Talk about the mother-in-law from HELL!! A read for all those mother-in-law,s out there......read this if you dare!!! . I did and I just couldn't put it down!!!!
Another #netgalley read. #theunwelcomeguest #amandarobson we think we know who we can trust. But do we? Characters are quirky. We have different point of views. Full of over the top characters. Over the top surprises. And. Over the top setting. #bookstagram #igreads #netgalleyreviewer
DNF - Did not finish. I did not connect with the writing style or plot and will not be finishing this title. Thank you, NetGalley and Publisher for the early copy!
Saffron is happily married to her college sweetheart and leading a blissful life until one day her mother in law, who never liked her decides to move in. The two women despise each other and Caprice leaves no stone unturned to cause a rift between her beloved son and daughter in law. She goes to all extremes to ruin Saffron's life but to what extent is she just going to watch her perfect life being torn to pieces? Things take a different turn and the cat and mouse game keeps one hooked. The end is unexpected and predictable just the same.
This book wasn't as gripping as I'd like it to be but it was still fun... it look me a while to finish it but it was worth the read.
3/5 as it was pretty boring. I’m sure it’ll be good for some people who just want a quick read. Probably perfect for the beach. Just not for me.
I absolutely 100 lived this one. Probably in my top 20 thrills I have read. I enjoyed all the characters. I loved the writing style. I would give it 5 stars
Super creepy and thrilling, made me think twice about who I can trust! I really enjoyed it , a captivating thriller.
I found it difficult to get into this one.  The characters names, just seemed a bit ridiculous to start, and the plot felt predictable and plodding.  I'm not sure i was the target audience though.
Not a bad story but written in a sometimes confusing way. Jumping from one POV to another and getting them sort of mixed up at the same time, so I wasn’t always sure who or what was going on.

I felt it didn’t have the depth that it could have but was still an ok read.
I found it really hard to connect to the characters in this book. It was over the top in places. The trope we have seen many a time so for me it was nothing new.
Loved this book, a gripping read and one that has you from page one, it didn’t let up, a fast paced book with a fair few twists and turns, what more could you want!!!! Defo a must read!
This book had me hooked from page one! My favorite part of reading this genre is when there are unexpected twists and turns, and the author of this novel delivered. Was on the edge of my seat for most of the read... Would definitely recommend!