Cover Image: The Guilt Trip

The Guilt Trip

Rachel and Jack, Paige and Noah, and Ali and Will - these couples are in Portugal for the wedding of Ali and Will.  Secrets that have been hidden for years come to light this wedding weekend and end in tragedy.

This was my first Sandie Jones novel, but it will not be my last!  I enjoyed this book from cover to cover.  The ending seemed a bit abrupt and left me wanting to go back a few chapters to see if I had missed something.  My to-read list will definitely include more books by Sandie Jones.
I wasn’t sure if I was gonna give this one a shot. I have read all the authors books, but they haven’t been my favorite. But this one sounded amazing I loved the destination wedding setting so figured I should give this a shot.

Too soapy with no action. I just didn’t find myself invested and found the book overall forgettable. I really did want to love this one, it just never grabbed my attention. I think the problem was the first half of the book is filled with Rachel’s inner thoughts and suspicions, and basically how unhappy these couples are in their marriage. The last half things started to pick up, but by then I was just trying to finish.
Very twisty thriller that kept me entertained and guessing up until the very end!  The characters were interesting and my sympathy for them kept changing. I am recommending this to all my friends who love thrillers.
This is the first book by Sandie Jones that I've read and I must say I am impressed.  I couldn't put this one down, as I was drawn in by the characters and the story.  When a group of friends are headed to Portugal for a wedding, small secrets turn into even bigger dramas that will upend everyone's lives.  It's an interesting premise and the twists and surprises will keep you engaged, as will trying to guess who is lying and who is telling the truth.  The ending was a bit of a head-scratcher, as you're left wondering exactly what happened.  But I like that it wasn't all spelled out and that it left you guessing a little bit.
Rachel and Noah have been friends since they met at university. While they once thought that they might be something more, now, twenty years later, they are each happily married to other people, Jack and Paige respectively. Jack’s brother Will is getting married, to the dazzling, impulsive Ali, and the group of six travel to Portugal for their destination weekend.

The Guilt Trip was the perfect poolside thriller. Three couples staying at a luxury beach house in Portugal for a wedding. During their trip we learn about the group’s secrets and lies, as the tension between them mounts. The drama really goes up a notch in the last few chapters and I couldn’t believe what was happening. If you’re a fan of domestic thrillers then you will love this book!
I will be reading more of Sandie Jones’ books for sure.
Thank you MacMillan, Netgalley, and Sandie Jones for this book in exchange for a review. I felt that this was a mixture of a thriller and drama. The ending has a bit of a twist. Overall, I thought it was a good read. 🌟🌟🌟1/2 star rating from me.
Rachel, her husband, and their best friends go to a destination wedding for her brother-in-law. No one likes his ditsy, over the top fiancé Ali and Rachel is suspicious - first of Ali, then of everyone…while trying to hide her own secrets. The last 25% of this book was a twisty ride but the first half was a looooot of Rachel thinking and over thinking every possible secret and outcome. “is this true? What if it is? How will I handle it?”
I would have enjoyed it more if the pacing was more consistent and not just in Rachel’s head.
Several sets of friends and family travel to an idyllic location for a wedding.. and man does drama unfold. There are cheating scandals, wrongful accusations, accidents and more.

Not so much a mystery or thriller, but definitely a twisty ride. I enjoyed this story.

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
I have enjoyed The Other Woman and The Half Sister by Sandie Jones, and this thriller did not disappoint! I loved the Portugal setting and wedding backdrop, so it reminded me a bit of The Guest List by Lucy Foley. There was lots of drama and definitely a soap opera feel with the three couples. The characters were not very likeable, but I still liked the story. The ending was a bit confusing, but a great twist!
Thank you NetGalley and St. Martins Press for this ARC by Sandie Jones.

I was thrilled to be approved for Sandie Jones' novel, The Guilt Trip. I am a sucker for a story with friendships dating back to the past, following up to the present. This novel fit that bill and more. We have three couples, who travel to Portugal for a wedding. I loved the atmospheric writing about the cliff sided villa! Ali and Rachel begin to unravel their secrets and things change. This is the second book by Sandie Jones that I have read. I really enjoyed The First Mistake by her. The Guilt Trip definitely was not as good in my opinion, but I still enjoyed it. Things did get somewhat repetitive, but it was a decent read.
Just a couple weeks late to reviewing this read and I already can't remember much about the story. I know it took me a while to get into, and it was hard to keep the characters straight at first. Lots of dialogue and not a lot of action. A story set on a destination wedding weekend centered around three couples hiding secrets, of course there is lots of lying and betrayal.

Thank you to the publisher via NetGalley for the advanced copy to review.
Omg y’all Sandie Jones is so amazing!!! Wowwwww. Her writing style is phenomenal and I love the characters. She always brings them to life! Great tripper and the storyline is so great. Must read!
Three sets of couples, who are also friends, head to Portugal to celebrate the upcoming marriage of Will and Ali.  Unfortunately, the longer they are together, the more secrets are exposed.   Are they secrets or are the lies?
It’s a pet peeve of mine when female authors write really dumb protagonists. That might sound harsh, but I am not asking for likable characters, just ones who aren't totally oblivious. I had high hopes for The Guilt Trip, because I liked the author’s previous book, The Other Woman. Unfortunately, it was not what I had hoped. The plot felt predictably recycled and the characters like caricatures. Rachel in particular annoyed me with her blindness to what appeared obvious to me as the reader. It's got a very soapy quality, which can be fun at times yet didn't really work here. I'm sorry to write a negative review, but if you decide to read it, I hope you have a more enjoyable reading experience than I did.
⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Guilt Trip by Sandie Jones

Thank you @netgalley and @stmartinpress for this Advanced Readers Copy that punished on 8/3.

This drama features 3 couples staying on the coast of Portugal for a destination wedding weekend. The bride, Ali, is at the center of all three couple’s domestic dramas and seems to collect everyone’s secrets, infidelity, and lies. The bulk of the story takes place in a 3 day period and has an explosive ending, that I didn’t quite see coming.

The Guilt Trip felt like a dramatic soap opera- pretty entertaining at times, but also immature, repetitive, and predictable. There was a ton of unnecessary inner dialogue by the main character that I felt could have been skipped. If you’re looking for a fast read that will you a surprise at the end, check this one out!
What a tangled web these six people create when they decide to go on vacation together.  They are all together to get to know Ali, who is Wills fiancé.  She is one big hot mess, but as Will is Jacks brother all the friends are going to give it their best shot and go in with mostly open minds.  The villa is beautiful and as the days go by more if revealed and it isn’t good.  Tension grows, everyone is suspicious and no one likes Ali even a little. The conversations wreak havoc on their group as individuals, friends and couples.  There is lots of drama some anticipated and a bit unexpected.  I enjoyed the read, the twists and turns, some a surprise and some not.  Enjoy the read.  Its worth your time.  It was definitely worth mine.
Okay, I admit I really did read this in part due to the cover. I had made a joke that a ton of books were coming out that looked the same and that I'd take on reading them all. Little did I know that all of them would be about destination weddings. Those are some of my faveeee. Give me a beautiful destination, a brewing storm, and some unruly guests and I am all about it. The Guilt Trip is, no surprise, about a secret, or rather many, that are threatening to consumed each guest. The guilt in this story is like a whole separate character, a character that wants to take over.

I read The Guilt Trip in one sitting, staying up too late to witness the secrets being exposed. In a fun twist of events, I did not see the reveal coming and I definitely did not see the last 10% playing out how it did. Rachel, the person whose perspective we watch the events unfold from, appears to be trying to be the bigger person, but her own secret is threatening to come to light. Her husband, Jack, is massively angry at something, her best friend, Noah, is hinting at knowing something, Noah's wife, Paige, seems to want to egg everyone on, the bridge, Ali, is taking everything just a bit too far, and her groom, Will, is none the wiser. Throw in a pile of secondary characters, and well, The Guilt Trip unfortunately becomes a soap opera. Like a soap opera, I couldn't look away, but I admit it was too much. It got to the point that I knew all the secrets and twists couldn't possibly all be revealed, not every plot could be completed, and there was no way the book could end cleanly in the number of pages available to it. Did I keep reading though? You bet.

The Guilt Trip may suffer a bit from having just so much going on, but it's enjoyable, like a reality show about the rich but in the pages of a book. I wish the ending had given us more, it really lacked the full drawn out reveal I wanted, but I have to say I loved that I didn't see anything coming. Sandie Jones puts it all in here, so if dramatic suspense is your thing, this is the book to grab.
I enjoyed this suspense novel.

Three couples are in Portugal for the wedding of one of the couples, but it seems that everyone is hiding something.  As the wedding celebrations unfold, more and more secrets are uncovered.

This was very readable, and the book kept me in suspense. I did have an issue with the main character - she just seemed really gullible. I know that it’s a plot device, but I kept wishing she would just communicate with the people around her and ask them questions directly.  It was hard to be sympathetic to her because her actions were so frustrating!  Despite that, it was a good book and I would recommend it to readers who enjoy this genre
Four close friends are off to Portugal for the luxurious wedding of Will and Ali.   Will is madly in love with gorgeous Ali but everyone else are not very accepting of her.   There are so many dirty little secrets and harmful lies among this group that could have major, disastrous life changing effects and it becomes a time bomb just waiting to go off and unbeknownst to Ali she may be the one to light the fuse.   Six seemingly happy people out to celebrate a new life beginning unfortunately when the bomb went off only five will make it home alive.

What a wonderful book to escape from reality.   Sandie Jones wrote such an enjoyable and entertaining story that I just couldn't stop turning the pages fast enough!   It was a clever psychological mystery that took me into the minds of all the couples with their suspicions, harsh judgements, loyalties threatened and some outright paranoia playing in there.   Deliciously devious and tantalizing, I just couldn't get enough even though all the characters were driving me crazy and a few were not very likeable.   The story played out completely different than I expected by the end of the book.   Many red herrings and fun twists.   I recommend this book to any reader who enjoys an unrealistic but extremely enjoyable domestic/thriller.   I am looking forward to reading man more of Sandie Jones books.

I want to thank the publisher "St. Martin's Press - Minotaur Books" and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this novel and any thoughts and opinions expressed are unbiased and mine alone!

I have given this captivating mystery a rating of 4 DELICIOUSLY TWISTED 🌟🌟🌟🌟 Stars!!
The Guilt Trip by Sandie Jones is a fantastic and fun read.   Deception, love, friendship, family, affair, secrets and a wedding are all dealt with in this interesting and eventful novel.   It’s a “can’t stop reading this” type of plot that will leave you guessing until the very last page.   This author has done a wonderful job creating the storyline of Guilt Trip and making the reader know and care about the characters.  Such an enjoyable story with one surprise after another!  I was privileged to be able to read this novel in exchange for a fair and honest review.  Thank you to Sandie Jones, Montaur Books and netgalley.