Cover Image: The Second Blind Son

The Second Blind Son

In the same vein as the first book. Amy Harmon writes great characters but I always expect more than she delivers.
Amy Harmon is an exceptional story teller, her books are beautifully written and  her story's are unique. The Second blind Son is truly a phenomenal story and I wait in eager anticipation for the next in the series.
I have been sitting on how to approach writing this review for a while. Mostly due to the fact that I am not sure how I feel about it. The story was well written and I loved the aspect of Norse mythology in it. However, I wasn't a fan of the long-distance romance between Liis and Hod. I really did have a hard time getting used to it.

The second blind son is a standalone book from The Chronicles of Saylok series. The story in this one was wonderful, but I did have a hard time getting into it.
LOVED this! I love Amy Harmon!!

A lost girl and a blind boy discover their greatest strength is their bond with each other in a beguiling fantasy by the New York Times bestselling author of The First Girl Child.

An insidious curse is weakening the Norse kingdom of Saylok, where no daughters have been born in years. Washing up on these plagued shores is Ghisla, an orphaned stowaway nursed back to health by Hod, a blind cave dweller. Named for a mysterious god, Hod is surrounded by prophecy. To Ghisla, he’s a cherished new friend, but to Hod, the girl is much more. For when Ghisla sings, Hod can see.

Unable to offer safe shelter, Hod urges Ghisla onward to become a daughter of the temple, where all the kingdom’s girl children have been gathered. But because of a magical rune, the two cannot be separated, no matter the time or the distance.

Now, subject to a ruthless king, Ghisla enters a desperate world of warring clan chieftains and catastrophic power struggles. Uncertain whom to trust, their bond strained by dangerous secrets and feuding loyalties, Ghisla and Hod must confront the prophecies that threaten Saylok while finding a way to save each other.

A Note From the Publisher
Not as good as the The First Girl Child but still good. Good world building and secendary characters.

Everything Amy does is absolutely perfect! She is absolutely one of my favorite writers of all time.
I was lucky to receive an advanced copy of this book and it was magical. Amy is on of my favorite authors and her books no matter the genre. You can tell she is an expert on human nature as her characters personalities manifest in ways that are reflective of the human experience.
I couldn't finish this book because the copy was too hard to read.  I am giving a 5 start review but I DNF
I adore a trip through fantasy and Amy creates these worlds masterfully.
This story sucks you into a time long ago. With twists and turns, magic and so much more.
It's a spectacular reading experience.
You know how oftentimes when a book or movie that you love comes out with a sequel, you feel almost apprehensive about even picking it up?  There's that nagging worry that it'll ruin the first book/movie that you love so much? I mean, I think we all can agree that in some cases, that follow up story just DOES NOT do the original story justice and it falls flat in comparison. Makes you feel bummed that you even made time for it at all because it wrecked the beauty and purity of the original... and if you could go back and NOT watch it/read it, you would? You know?

The point is, this is NOT that sequel.  Rest assured, my friends. Amy Harmon manages to weave a seamless and effortless companion for "The First Girl Child" that was just as beautiful, exciting, poetic, inspiring and heartwarming.  At no point did I feel as though there was too much repetition of the first book's content, despite these novels taking place on a parallel timeline.  And I also think that The Second Blind Son could absolutely stand on it's own without knowing the backstory of TFGC. But together, they create an epic story of family, blood, power, love, envy, war and hope. I enjoyed every word if this story. Five stars.
I much prefer Harmon's fantasy books - in my opinion, this is where she shines. True to form. The Second Blind Son has incredible world building, amazing characters to follow, a perfectly-paced plot, and beautiful writing.
Karol A rated a book really liked it
7 months ago
The Second Blind Son by Amy Harmon
The Second Blind Son
by Amy Harmon (Goodreads Author)
Read
I received this ARC for an honest opinion

This was a fun ride! The setting is interesting, the pacing is good. However, the standout is the love story! This friends-to-lovers was intense, very slow burn, believable, very touching! I loved every minute of their relationship and it really carried the book. The last third actually, was a little more political intrigue and the resolution was a bit rushed. But overall, just to follow in their journey was fantastic. Would definitely recommend
If you haven’t read The First Girl Child, I highly recommend you stop right now and go do that first. While this takes place during the same timeline as TFGC, and it’s it’s own story, you won’t fully appreciate the characters if you haven’t read it first. This is this as an interconnected standalone.

I have been in a book fog all day. I enjoyed this book so very much. I found myself way more emotional as I was reading this than I did read TFGC. I have two reasons for this, I think. One, the music. There’s something about the music component in books that tug at my soul. I absorb them and they touch something deep down and I can’t help but to shed tears as my release. And two, since The Second Blind Son happened simultaneously to The First Girl Child, I knew what was coming. My heart was beating like mad because of it.

Amy Harmon has weaved this magical world so beautifully, I could see and feel everything. I felt like I was a part of the story. Hod and Ghisla have a special place in my heart. They went from young teens to young adults and watching them navigate this world was nothing short of amazing. Their slow burn romance was in background and watching it blossom made my heart weep and rejoice at the same time. By the end of the epilogue I had happy tears in my eyes.

I really hope we get more from this world. There’s so many more characters I’d like to read about!
This was another beautiful book written by a true storyteller. I loved this book and this series. I can't recommend her work enough. I truly enjoyed the happily ever after for these characters.
Everything by Amy Harmon is wonderful, so it was no surprise that this book was, too.  Very imaginative and entertaining.
The world Amy Harmon has created is so phenomenal and she has filled it with characters that are so real you will have to remind yourself they are fictional. I’m once again in awe of the talent and depth of Amy’s work. The Second Blind Son will be a book I will read again and again. Hod and Ghisla have a beautiful story and you will fall in love with them completely!!! Read this book and if you haven’t already, read ALL of Amy’s books!
Amy Harmon never disappoints!! The first book, The First Girl Child, was extraordinary. So here we have different characters within the same world. I didn’t expect anything less than superb! And Amy delivered! Loved the story, the emotions and feelings it inspired had me reeling for days!

Let’s hope for more books from this world!
i really thought this was a great scifi novel, the scifi elements were well done and the world was really unique and interesting . The characters were enjoyable.
Are you ready for your world to be rocked? The Second Blind Son releases tomorrow and it’s so wonderful, amazing and full of all the brilliance we have come to expect from Amy Harmon!

I love the devotion that is infused into Amy's characters, the emotional connection and friendship that comes well before the first kiss. That’s what happens in this book! So engrossed are you in the magic that imbues the air when Hod and Ghisla interact, your heart is all in before you even realize it!

I loved that we got a second and new perspective on the events from The First Girl Child, but at the same time it’s a different story! Both Hod and Ghisla are incredible characters, whose strength and devotion to each other is inspiring!

My heart broke for both these characters, what they went through and the journey that they embarked on that would bring them together before separating them again… argh my heart!

“I can’t think when you are near.”
“I blind you,” she said sadly...
“Yes. And yet . . . you are the only one who makes me see.”

Amy once again proves that she is a master storyteller, weaving in magic, love and truths into her books like none other.
This was an insta-pick because I how much I loved Amy Harmon's previous books.

The story development and plot is very tedious at first. I had a difficult time getting the individuals, stories, names, etc. flushed out, but when I did the story is magical as ever. I'm not sure how Amy Harmon can tie a whole mythical fantasy in one book - magical.