Cover Image: Right Behind Her

Right Behind Her

Melinda Leigh is a well- known author but I don't think I have read any of her works previously. And now that i have finally read my first book by her, Right Behind Her, I can totally understand why her books are as popular as they are. Right Behind Her is the latest in her Bree Taggert series. This series follows Bree Taggert and all the complications of her life. Though I hadn't read the previous books in the series, the author has written it in such a way, that I could follow what's happening in her life currently and what are the changes that had happened in the last few years of her life.

In this book, Bree has to confront more painful memories of her past and try to keep the balance on her emotions, while she investigates a murder case which seems to have happened many years ago,  in her family's farmhouse. Due to some circumstances, few bones are exposed near her family's old farmhouse and the positioning of the bones suggest that their's was not a natural death.

In the course of her investigation, she remembers some events of her childhood that she had forgotten before. And also unearths some new truths. The investigation into the death leads her to suspects who are of good standing in the society and that doesn't make the investigation easy either. Amidst all these obstacles,  she works diligently in finding the culprit.

I was totally impressed with the way Melinda has narrated the story in Bree Taggart's perspective; I particularly loved the way the character's growth has been highlighted by her. She has become one of my favorite fictional characters. She is complex, complicated, driven, honest, has certain inhibitions and is completely devoted to her work.

On top of all this,  the investigation was written as much realistically as it usually is in real-life. Yet, the story was fast-paced and completely engrossing. Once I got into the story, I just couldn't put down the book. I just flew through the pages until I reached the conclusion. And it seems that this story is not going to end any time soon. There are still some questions that need to be answered in the Sherrif's past and I just can't wait to read more. In fact, I am definitely going to try to get my hands into the previous novels in the series to know more about Sherrif Bree. I can't recommend this book enough, to all people who love to read realistic police-procedural thrillers that feature interesting, likable, complicated characters.

I am writing this review in exchange for the ARC given by the publishers through Netgalley and all opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
This is a great next book in the Bree Taggart series! This book revolves around finding a skeleton on Bree's childhood property where her father murdered her mother when she was young. Such an engaging story in figuring out who the remains belong to and how they got there. I cannot wait until the next book is out!
This is the first book that I've read by Melinda Leigh, and I loved it! The mystery was great, and I really enjoyed the romance between Bree & Matt. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in this series.
I love the Bree Taggert series. The suspense and intrigue are edge of the seat. I did not see that end coming. Fog course the romance between Matt and Bree helps to. You can’t go wrong reading these books.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own
Right Behind Her was another excellent addition to the Bree Taggert series with an intriguing case connected to Bree's family.

Twenty-seven years ago, Sheriff Bree Taggert's father killed her mother and then himself. In the years since, Bree has avoided the old farm the family called home. When her younger brother Adam requests her assistance at the property, Bree goes to help only for the pair to find human bones on the property. As the investigation reveals the victims were murdered thirty years ago, Bree is forced to confront her past with her deceased father now a suspect. But the more Bree digs into the case, the more clear it becomes that someone else was involved and they'll stop at nothing to prevent Bree from uncovering their identity.

Right Behind Her opens with Bree and Adam on the farm where Bree reveals details from their life back then as Adam was too young to remember. While on the property, the two discover a trespasser who then flees causing Bree to chase him which ultimately leads to the discovery of the bones. From there, the investigation picks up speed and several prominent families in town are connected to the case. This causes Bree some issues as she isn't willing to sweep things under the rug the way the previous sheriff did. During the investigation, Bree gets a lead that sends her to Sharp Investigations and we get to see a character from the Morgan Dane series. I really enjoyed that series so I liked getting to see an old favorite character. Ultimately the case goes in a few different directions and I was ended up being surprised by the killer's identity as I had someone else pegged as the killer.

Bree continues to be an excellent main character and I've enjoyed watching her adapt to her role as sheriff. This time around we got to see a bit of the administrative side to her job which was a nice change of pace. Bree is doing better at managing her time between her job and being home with her niece and nephew that she cares for. I liked seeing her relax with her family and Dana, her old partner who lives with her and helps care for the kids. Her relationship with Matt has developed quite a bit and I love the little moments they get together outside of the case. The pair work well together but I think my favorite moments are when they're off the job. And while there is a romance in this series, it's not a huge part of the book so readers looking for more of the suspense element should enjoy the series.

Overall I really enjoyed Right Behind Her and I'm looking forward to reading the next book, Dead Against Her, when it releases next year. I highly recommend this series if you're looking for some great romantic suspense.
I love Melinda Leigh's books and this one is no different. I was hooked from start to finish. I stayed up way too late reading this one. If you like romantic suspense, pick this one up!
Right Behind Her by Melinda Leigh is the 4th book in the Bree Taggert mystery series, and another great addition. Bree Taggert is the sheriff, and her brother, Adam, and her find human bones on their family's abandoned farm.   Bree's father killed her mother at that farm thirty years ago.  Did her father kill even more people? I found this book to be fast-paced, and like a roller coaster ride with surprises around every curve. This book has a well developed plot and characters. I strongly recommend this book and series to all mystery lovers, like me. You won't be disappointed. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
This series continues to amaze.  Just about the time you think you know, you are whipped around a corner and pulled thorough a twist you didn't see coming.  I always feel like I'm right beside Bree as she works through her case.  I love this series!
Bree has promised her brother Adam for a long time to go with him to their childhood home. Finally getting there it’s not going the way she thought it would. Not only is Bree getting a glimpse of her past when memories of the last night in this house run through her mind, but there is something, someone, on this property not belonging there. And when they find a grave with old bones behind the dog kennel, it’s the start of an investigation that will unravel Bree’s family history.
I love Bree Taggert and her patchwork family: Adam, the sensitive painter, her sisters kids but now like her own and of course, Dana, her old friend.
I cheer every time a new Bree Taggert book is published. Bree is a strong main character who doesn’t hesitate to protect those around her. I love this series and am really enjoying her growth and how her story is progressing. I love how we get a mystery, but we also get her relationship with Matt, the kids, and her other family members. This cannot be read as a standalone, so do yourself a favor and read the previous 3. You won't regret it.
Loved it!!! I lobe the Bree Taggert series. The story kept me guessing until the vey end. It was a great mystery/thriller. There were so many twists and turns and this investigation definitely hit close to home for Bree. It was interesting and sad to finally learn more about her father and what went on when Bree was a child. She had a scary childhood and is fortunate to have turned out so well. Actually, she's lucky to be alive after learning what kind of monster she had as a father. She is a wonderful aunt to her niece and nephew and would do anything for them. I wasn't sure who was behind everything and was suspicious of several people. I was shocked when everything came together and the killer was revealed. Who knew people could be so evil??? It was great seeing Sharp again. Matt and Bree are perfect for each other and I hope their relationship keeps progressing in the right direction. Once again was Brody was a hero. Excited to see Greta become part of the police force. Bree has definitely come a long way with dogs.

Definitely recommend the book and the previous ones in the series. I can't wait to see what's next for Bree. I'm sure there will be murders for her to investigate. Look forward to reading more books by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Montlake through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Thank you Netgalley and Montlake for the chance to read Right behind her by Melinda Leigh. This is book 4 of the  Sheriff Bree Taggert series and it keeps getting better. Back when I first approached book 1, Cross her heart I noticed that it was set in the same world as her earlier series which made me a bit nervous...would it matter?  I crossed my fingers and dived in and I was so glad I did. I was quickly immersed in this series, and had no trouble following the story. Once I have more time, I will of course read her earlier books!.
Years ago Sheriff Bree Taggert’s father killed her mother, then himself. Now Bree and her younger brother, Adam, find human bones on the grounds of their abandoned family farm. The remains are those of a man and a woman, both murdered in the same horrible way.  Bree must deal with the investigation, and revisit that brutal night she has spent years trying to forget when her father becomes the most likely suspect.  Can Bree finally put the past behind her before someone else is killed?
I really enjoy this series, but I do recommend reading the books in order. Luckily there are at least two more books to come!
As much as I wanted to read this I put it off because I just knew that Bree would get on my nerves... within just a few sentences there she was on my nerves... what I HATE most about Bree is her crazy unnecessary guilt that she indulges in constantly that’s just plain annoying and her worst trait cause it’s like her personality trait she takes responsibility for everything especially when it’s nothing that she could have controlled... your siblings are not your responsibility... also Adam is incredibly selfish to let his curiosity about the past matter more than his sister’s actual trauma over what happened... I was annoyed early on in this book and unsurprised by how this trip down bad memory lane was going to go... first rang of the day and we are only in chapter 2 this does not bode well...

So this time around during this trip down bad memory lane takes a detour with an intruder and then the discovery of old bones shakes some skeletons from ye olde proverbial closet... who killed these people? Is there any connection to Bree’s family? With the tragic violent past that’s left it’s marks on her she thinks it’s possible...

I like a good mystery but honestly I find Bree annoying I’m the last one I thought maybe she was getting through some of her various issues but she’s still rather annoying. I get it people have problems and I guess to some people having excessive flaws makes a character seem more human but in Bree she’s just annoying. Blah blah guilt blah blah I failed my sister blah blah my brother blah blah these kids I don’t actually take care of blah blah job blah blah boyfriend I barely acknowledge blah and don’t forget her fear of dogs and her guilt for I don’t know the grass being green and the sky being blue. Bree is exhausting. Also I somehow just don’t find her the right fit for her job...

Sadly the mystery wasn’t even that good and the whole romance between Bree and Matt that’s always been a one-sided side-note was suddenly treated like it was a thing when really it kinda isn’t and never was. Bree just has too many issues and seems like this whole case was one big conflict of interest I mean bodies on her family’s farm that were buried when her family lived there? That her father could have been involved with? It wasn’t terrible but I think I’m kind of over this series and all of Bree’s problems that have to come up constantly.
Another piece to the puzzle that makes Bree Taggert a tortured soul. Going more in depth into her family and childhood; her father and mother’s death. Definitely read the other books in the series before this! As always Melinda has twists and turns keeping us enthralled until the end! Thank you Melinda and Netgalley for the ARC
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Avid Reader – ☆☆☆☆
M/F Mystery

Bree is reliving the past again. Only this time, it's right up in her face and in the face of the people she loves most. She knew returning to their old house was a mistake. There were too many memories and too much pain, but she wanted to support her brother. Now, she wishes she could take it back.

In this fast-paced mystery, you're uncovering years of murder, a plot that only can be hidden for so long now that bodies are associated with it, and the killer who's willing to do anything to keep their secret hidden.

You'll see this small town's underbelly at its worst. Leigh creates a high stress situation among everyone who's involved, but she also sends in hints of what might have happened.

I really enjoyed following the nuggets as they were divulged. Leigh leads you along with crumb after crumb and in the end, you breathe a sigh of relief. Maybe now Bree and her family can have some peace.

Veronica – ☆☆☆☆
The fourth instalment of the Bree Taggert series sees Bree returning to her family farm, 27 years after her father killed her mother only to discover human remains buried on the property. We then follow Bree as she investigates the 30-year-old murders that likely involved her father.

I really enjoyed the police investigation and watching Bree and her team as they identify the remains and try to work out who killed the victims and why. I found the story engaging and I liked that it wasn’t immediately obvious who the killer was. As well as the mystery, we get to see Bree’s romance with Matt take a few new steps, and it was good to see Bree’s life coming settled both professionally and personally.

RIGHT BEHIND HER is another interesting crime story mixed with a little bit of life and love for Bree. I have to say there were a few scenes that really got my heart pumping and had me on the edge of my seat. This is a really good series and I’m looking forward to more books from Bree. RIGHT BEHIND HER gets a solid four stars from me.
This is my second Bree Taggert book, and it was just as twisty and messed-up as the prior book. There are a lot of characters to keep straight; I'm glad they included the dogs in the story. It's a fast-paced story with a satisfactory resolution.
This is the 4th book in the Bree Taggert series.  You could read it as a stand alone but you would miss some really fantastic books.  Melinda Leigh has some seriously good books in her back library, Bree Taggert is just one character in a cast of strong, damaged women who have taken their pain and put it to use against those who would hurt others.  Bree's storyline started with her father's murder of her mother.  Intrigued?  Hold on, her story is so very well plotted that you'd recognize her on the street.
Right Behind Her finds Bree investigating bodies found buried on the farm where Bree's father committed his crime.  And the questions pile up from there.  This one is so good I'm getting goose bumps as I try not to give away the story.   Read it fast, then read again.  It is that good!!!!
Book 4 in the Bree Taggert series is a painful revisit to Bree.  The story pushes readers into finding the heart and soul of a dark story.  Bree faces more heart along with painful memories that will keep readers hooked and ready for book in this can't miss series.

Melinda Leigh is able to bring to life the characters that live in her head.  The characters become part of a family that readers didn't know they wanted but can't live without knowing what will happen next.

Melinda Leigh is able to wrap romance, suspense, family, life and death into a perfect series that readers will never get enough of.

Thank you to publisher for the advance copy of Right Behind Her!
Another great addition to the Bree Taggert series. Fast-paced, well-written. Love the characters. These books can be read as stand alones but I don’t recommend it. Looking forward to the next in the series.

Thank you #netgalley and #montlake for the eARC.
Wow that was totally crazy. This is the best book in this series so far.
Bree’s past has really come back to haunt her. Fast paced with obstacles around every corner preventing her from solving this 30 year old murder. We find out about Bree’s childhood and the trauma she went through.
Matt is the most patient man.

He wanted what his parents had—a lifetime of connection and friendship—but he understood most people never found anything even close.

We also get a little progress in the romance department and find out why she’s so hesitant to love.

She rested her head on his chest. “I’m not used to needing someone. Not this way.”

I just love this ongoing series and can’t wait to see what comes next.