Cover Image: My Mess is a Bit of a Life

My Mess is a Bit of a Life

Firstly, can we talk about the great title choice for a memoir about someone struggling with anxiety?! That hooked me in immediately. Despite essentially being a mental health memoir, this is actually a very easy read.  It is a collection of anecdotes about comedy writer Georgia’s life from a young schoolgirl age onwards.  Some very serious topics are covered and some less serious ones too, but all are told with a comic flair. If I am being 100% honest, sometimes it felt like Georgia was trying a bit too hard to tell a story in a funny way, and it loses a star for me for that reason.  Also, the writing style is a bit chaotic. It really is just anecdote after anecdote with no chapters to break it up and that takes some getting used to.  All in all though, I enjoyed this book and would probably read another memoir from Georgia if she chose to release one.
An Interesting book looking which catalogues the trials of being a woman in comedy and raises many issues. Georgia Pritchett is funny and honest writer. Sometimes I was a little lost and not sure what I was reading as it's a bit random but it was a pleasant and different read and I powered through.
I think because of the title and the fact that this book is about anxiety, I was expecting this book to be quite a heavy read. What I wasn't aware of is the fact that Pritchett is a comedy writer, renowned for her work on Smack The Pony, The Thick of It and Veep. So, despite tackling some serious subject matter at times, this book is actually quite a light-hearted, amusing and easy read.
A thoroughly enjoyable romp detailing the many angst invoking perplexities of life with an anxious brain.

Wry, acerbic and wonderfully bonkers, this is however more than a light hearted poke at oneself. There are painful moments that despite being written with dark humour, are incredibly moving.

A quick read that is more than the sum of its parts. I loved it.
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of My Mess is a Bit of a Life via NetGalley. I thoroughly enjoyed this book; beautifully written, extremely funny but also incredibly poignant in places. Georgia is spot on with her descriptions of anxiety; more than once I felt I was reading about myself. Thoroughly recommended.
My thanks to #Netgalley and #Faber&Faber publishing for the opportunity to review this book.
An approachable and humorous way to address such a sensitive topic. Easy to read  with laugh out loud moments. A must read for it’s insightful and honest look at living with anxiety.
Interesting book looking at the trials of being a woman in comedy as well as fertility and child raising issues. Georgia is funny and honest. Sometimes it's a bit random and I wasn't 100% sure what was going on but it was a pleasant read and I powered through and it got better!
This book really is ‘what it says on the tin’. Initially I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to find it funny or  melancholic. Once I settled into the rhythm of the short, punchy vignettes, I recognised Georgia is a girl of my generation and I marvelled at her observations and perspective on hoards of ordinary, quirky and poignant situations. She has opened her soul and shared so many aspects of life with hilarity and humility as well as very modesty brushing over her remarkable career. Quite a unique and insightful read!
I received a copy from Faber and Faber and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I have given My Mess Is a Bit of a Life: Adventures in Anxiety by Georgia Pritchett three out of five stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was an interesting, witty and insightful memoir written by Georgia Pritchett who is an award winning writer for TV & film. This book is focuses solely around her struggles with anxiety (as the title of the book suggests) as well as a mix of happy, joyful and strange memories.

I enjoyed the fast paced stories and anecdotes Georgia blesses us with in this book however, I didn’t really mesh with it as well as I was hoping to. It was funny and snappy, but I think the way the humour was written wasn’t really my cup of tea and I found myself becoming confused after reading several anecdotes due to the scattered order the stories were written in. I think mainly because Georgia focuses on some very difficult topics such as relationships and miscarriages, I found it hard to look at this book in a light-hearted humorous way and felt that the humour was forced every-so-often.

I have seen a lot of 3+ star reviews and know this book is a definite hit so I would recommend for new adults and upwards to check this memoir out as the humour might be up your street.
I think the reason that I wanted to read My Mess is a Bit of a Life by Georgia Pritchett is because there are times when I felt just the same. I think we all have at some point and so there is a comfort in having someone - even someone who you don't personally know - acknowledge this. It makes us feel less alone. Less like a failure. Just less than the mess we are. So for that reason alone we should all salute Georgia Pritchett for being brave enough to be this honest.

My Mess is a Bit of a Life is a memoir that packs a punch. It deals with feminist issues, suppression of women in the workplace, sexuality, mental health, death, autism. All of it is discussed with humour and grace but without losing the impact of what Georgia Pritchett is trying to say. It is in this quality that we see what a powerhouse of a writer she is.

My Mess is a Bit of a Life by Georgia Pritchett is available now.

For more information regarding Georgia Pritchett (@georgiapudding) please visit her Twitter page.

For more information regarding Faber & Faber (@FaberBooks) please visit www.faber.co.uk.
I enjoyed this  - I had no idea who the author was, and at each revelation I was more in awe of her writing talent, and her sense of humour. Her life living with anxiety and presumably on the autism spectrum herself, was really well relayed. No name dropping, which I have seen in similar books, just facts and the author's thoughts. Easy to read and fascinating. Thank you for sharing so openly. #netgalley #mymessisabitofalife
Told in a series of anecdotes, which range from hilarious to heartbreaking, this is a memoir that I won't forget in a hurry. Insightful, very funny in places, and incredibly relatable.
I enjoyed this witty and relatable memoir about Georgia's experiences of life with anxiety. Though I don't have the successful career she has had, a lot of it resonated as she talked about her childhood, family, school, college, personal relationships and professional career and anxiety weaving its way through all of those.

I liked the anecdotal style as I felt it was reflective of an anxious overthinking brain so it felt right. I enjoyed learning about her world, and how the anxiety seemed to take over at times. As an anxious person with a love of writing myself, I found it really inspiring that Georgia used the medium to write down her experiences and find some respite from the struggles.  I'm sure it was a cathartic experience and hope she knows that she will help many people with anxiety who read this, despite this not being a self help book as such- it's not about advice but it was insightful nonetheless.
A great book showing an insight into the turmoiled mind of someone with anxiety.
A series of short memories/thoughts/experiences from Georgia who is navigating her way through life one episode at a time.
Funny and relatable.
Because of the very episodic structure, I immediately thought, “What’s this, I can’t deal with this,” but then got drawn in to “just one more bit, just one more bit” and then the book was over in a couple of hours. So it’s obviously an engaging, funny, self-deprecating read, and it shows what a jumble of anxieties can live in just about anybody’s head. There are tender moments and the odd gross one, it’s unusual, but it works.

My full review on my blog here: https://librofulltime.wordpress.com/2021/07/18/book-review-georgia-pritchett-my-mess-is-a-bit-of-a-life/
This is book 7 of my 20 Books of Summer 2021.

This was such a fun, insightful read, chronicling the authors' struggle with anxiety and being unable to speak her issues, she found it easier to write it all down and what we get to read is a wonderful mix of all those weird and wonderful things that make our lives stressful, joyful, memorable and everything in between!

I could totally relate to the seemingly silly, little irrational things that can plague your brain and the events in your life that stand out as memorable for all the right or wrong reasons!

This isn't a self help book, it's not full of tips to help you deal with anxiety, but it is a great little behind the scenes look at someone else dealing with anxiety, whilst having a very successful career - I loved all the behind the scenes showbiz stuff - many of it was hilarious, some of it was horrifying! - and she also looks back at school, growing up and the responsibilities forced on you in adulthood!

I enjoyed a glimpse into her world, and how the anxiety often felt suffocating to her but she seemed to get respite by writing her thoughts down - that might be a lesson for us all to take on!
What a book. So funny, even in the midst of some terrible happenings. I nearly choked when I read about the 'hymns' that were sung at her school. Deary me, I've tittered over that for days. Outstanding from start to finish.
A lively and engaging collection of vignettes and mini essays exploring the author’s anxieties and life experiences. It took a little while to get into because it’s an unusual method, but it’s very well written and I enjoyed the tone.
This book was a refreshing read. Despite the difficult and sensitive topics, Georgia dealt with them in a wonderfully light and engrossing way. The book was filled with humour and personality.

The structure of the book came through in evidencing her panic and anxiety, when she was faced with extremely difficult and emotive experiences throughout her life. Some parts were quite jarring, but I do feel that was a deliberate goal of hers.

I enjoyed the book and read it so quickly, but it didn’t captivate me like some recent books have. The book for me personally was 3.5, but I can certainly see why so many others have rated it higher.
I struggled a little initially with the very short nature of the stories / observations in this book but I’m glad I stuck with it. It made me laugh out loud at times and plenty of the thoughts and processes of the author were familiar.