Cover Image: First Day of School

First Day of School

A beautifully illustrated book which shows How the life in school can be! It's particularly interesting because various birds and animals have been characterized giving it a unique touch!
Totally recommended for young kids and parents!
Thank you #netgalley for indulging my teacher heart with this one.
This book had super cute woodland creatures; I'm really into that. I'm also always on the lookout for 'back to school' books for my classroom, so this one caught my eye. It's about a robin named Robin (don't we love to see it in children's books?) and she's really scared about going to school, but there are fun things to do all day and pretty soon it's time to go home. Spoiler alert-she loves school and wants to come back again! It's just the right message we want to teach kids who have school anxiety and need some reassurance that they will be ok in our classroom.

I liked the illustrations and the sound effects, but the writing was a bit, meh. I don't know how realistic the dialogue and voice of the characters were; lots of "ma'am" and "may I." This could totally be realistic for kids 4-6 in certain regions of the country, but not where I'm from. It bugged me that there was a line in the book about the pig choosing the puzzle to play with, but it was completely absent in the picture. Picture/print matching is huge for littles/emergent readers, so this just irked me. My opinion is that this is definitely suited for 4 y.o. (like the author indicates) and even younger, but you're almost pushing it with 6 or 7 y.o.'s (especially with the potty). Sidenote-There still seems to be a bit of editing needed (I'm still very new to ARCs and don't know how 'ready-to-print' these should be). Overall, it was adorable and cute, but it's still missing something to become a favorite on my classroom shelf.
The illustrations were fun and colorful, perfect for a picture book. The book tells the story of a young Robin and his first day of school. I would have preferred the bunny pellets left out of the bathroom scene so that kind of put me off but kids might find it funny.
This was such a cute picture book!

It follows the main character Robin who is going to school for the first time, He initially doesn’t want to go to school but quickly warms up to it! This would be a great book to read to a child who might be nervous about going to school for the first time,

I loved the beautiful  illustrations and all of the colors. There were so many small details that I really enjoyed, from how different animals had lunches appropriate for what type of animal they were to the funny and cute inclusion of a smaller toilet for the tiny animals. The formatting of the ARC did make it a little bit difficult to read but I still enjoyed my reading experience!
So well done. And it's so freaking cute throughout.

I do feel such books are really important to lessen the anxiety for the kids as well as for the parents before the kids actually attend schools.

The activities usually done at school and the way kids take responsibility are well illustrated.

The artwork is neat and beautiful.

The colours stand out and makes the book easy to go through.

Love it.

Thank you authors and publisher for the advance reading copy.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. It's Robins's first day of school and he doesn't want to go. He makes sure his mother will pick him up and quietly goes into class, but he doesn't;t want to go. By the end, Robin loves school and is ready to go.
It's the first day of school for little Robin and  he is hesitant but once in, he really enjoys his day! Cool illustrations showing his school on a tree and his classmates like lady bug, mouse, Hedgehog, rabbit, squirrel and many others. Then his teacher, Miss Fox who is nice and sweet. Robin get along quick and looks forward to coming to school again. A great gift for those little ones who would be soon going to school!
My son started kindergarten this year, but he's still in the virtual learning setting, so we chose this book so he knows what to expect when he finally attends school next academic year. The book portrays the first day of school in a pretty realistic way, which my son really appreciated.

It takes us through every first day school activity that the little bird, Robin, experiences. Everything from lunch break to recess to each of the classes they have and even potty break. The book gives a pretty clear idea about what children can expect from their first day of school including spending time playing and bonding with their classmates and teacher. I also appreciated that the main character, Robin, is somewhat anxious about starting school but it gets easier as the day goes. The book ends in a high note when Robin is happy to go back home but excited about coming back the next day.

Lovely book!
When you write a book about your first day at school it should incorporate some type of educational activities even if it's a playful experience.
This book had fantastic illustrations but it's central theme focused on play time, bathroom breaks, and circle time experiences. Does this Robin go to a public or private school as that might make a difference.
My children were lucky to attend a Montessori structured school and then attend private Catholic schools so the fundamental learning curve is different.
This book is being sold for the benefit of children therefore the educational aspects would be of considerable value to behold for both the parent and child as well as the structured organization.
Thank you to Esther Van Den Berg, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
I received a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review; thanks to NetGalley and Clavis Publishing for the opportunity.

This charmingly illustrated children’s book follows a day in the life of a young woodland creature as he experiences his first day of school.

My daughter starts preschool in the fall, so we have been looking for books on this subject. I liked this book quite a bit. The illustrations are very well done and full of beautiful details. My daughter enjoyed pointing out all the different activities that the creatures were doing as we went through the story.

The text of the story was fine and I liked the variety of activities the characters experienced.
I don’t know that I was a big fan of the repeated “and what happens next?” as a device but I know some toddlers appreciate such structure in books.

Overall a good read for preschoolers and children who love animal themed books.
Robin is reluctant to go to school. He doesn't know what to expect and thinks that he will go, take a look around, and return home with his mother. However, once he gets there, makes new friends, and learns his new routine, he doesn't want to leave.

This book will be wonderful for children who are about to start preschool, children starting kindergarten will need to anticipate a day a little more rigorous than the one presented. As it is described, the school day is built around play and socialization, just what one would anticipate for preschool children.

The animal characters are adorable. The variety of animals and insects in the schoolroom gives the impression that everyone is welcome at school, a great message that is smartly presented even in an anthropomorphic book.
This book was a very sweet depiction of the first day of school and a smash hit regarding my 2 year old niece who recently started going to school she loved it and made me read it over and over again . She loved it so much I’m sure I read it 3 times before she let me stop .
A cute young robin is very, very worried about the prospect of school, but once there gets so wrapped up in the schedule it doesn't even want to go home at the end of the day.  The adult pedant will comment that that's because they've hardly done anything educational, but this is a suitably attractive anxiety-buster for the relevant member of the audience.
I was intending reading this story after Easter holidays when my class are talking about new schools, I thought I would read it first to check it was ok.
As it’s American there is the issue with Ma’am rather than using the teachers name. This is just a small observation as on the whole the story is to the point and shows children how fun school can be. Using animals as pupils is another clever way of making it fun snd non threatening. On the whole a nice book.
Today Robin will start school. What a scary feeling! He will be left alone without mom. But then Robin learns how fun school is, and how he enjoys school so he makes promise to his teacher to come back for more tomorrow.

Beautifully illustrated and so enchanting that kids would love to try being in school. Even I would love to join Robin in that very school. So many fun things to do!
It’s Robin’s first day at school. Though he doesn’t look forward to it he ends up having so much fun with his new friends; Pig, Mouse, and Hedgehog.

I really liked the style of the illustrations of this book, which I think complimented the story well.

Thank you to Esther Van den Berg, NetGalley and Clavis for the ARC of this book.
I enjoyed this book, though the beginning took a bit to take off. The bathroom scene was funny, probably the most interesting illustration in the book.
Such a cute book to help future kindergarteners know what to expect when they start school.  Some children are afraid of the unknown.  In this story Robin doesn't want to go to school but once there learns that it can be fun.  The day is full of all kinds of fun activities. At the end of the day Robin doesn't want to go home he wants to stay at school.
The illustrations are beautiful and add so much to the story.  The animals have lots of character.  The perfect book for the new kindergarten student.
This cute and colorful picture book encourages young children who are hesitant to start school for the first time. Little Robin is worried about going to school but ends up enjoying it and doesn't want to go home at the end of the day. One thing that is unique and fun about this book is a couple of the pictures are extra tall and printed sideways across both pages. You have to turn the book and hold it so the pages open from top to bottom, then rotate back to holding side to side for the other pictures. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free digital copy.
This was such a cute book to show young children what to expect at school! It was easy to follow, and the illustrations were great and colorful!