Cover Image: How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying

How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying

Super informative! I was drawn in by the matter of fact title. Not dying. It’s hard enough to trust whomever you comb the forest with, much less trust yourself to share your fungi collection with anyone else.

I would like to thank Storey Publishing for providing me with an advance readers copy via access to the galley for free through the NetGalley program.

For reference, I’m a novice when it comes to foraging mushrooms, having learned a bit through survival courses, foreign travel, and my latest desire to get and train a Lagotto Romagnolo who I plan to name Macchiato. Once got a tad ill eating what should have been easily identified morel, now I know it was more likely inappropriate preparation, so after reading this book, it makes complete sense. My confidence is building though and I’m grateful for the treasures in this book. With that said, I’d recommend this book to anyone interested in foraging mushrooms, whether beginner or expert, as I think it spans a significantly important range of historical context, anatomy, identification, preparation, handling, storage, and cooking without being pretentious or belabored, hitting the highlights while not being too geographically niche or of mushrooms that are less commonly eaten.

There is a lot of information about foraging out there and it can get pretty overwhelming with certain rules that have exceptions that can make the process confusing. I liked the approach to foraging and the uniqueness in its safe and uncomplicated mushroom recognition. It covers plenty of information that is easy to read, simple to navigate while being interesting and perceptive. I appreciated the verbiage and guidelines, not difficult to remember, they don’t overreach nor ignore subtle difference that I’m just learning about.

The illustrations are also a great asset. A great balance of diagram, overall features depicted, along with sharp macro shots.

I look forward to having a copy for my reference library.
*I received an advance reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley and the publishers.*

For years, my father had taken me along mushroom hunting with him. I've always enjoyed the time together in nature and the spoils of foraging, but though I have a passing familiarity with the different species, it's not enough for me to venture out on my own. This book immediately appealed to me, as a straightforward guide on what I can and can't eat.

As the title promises, this is a humorous and informative overview on, well, how to forage mushrooms without dying. The format is effective, starting off with safety guidelines, biological information and a general background on the topic, building a foundational understanding on the topic for readers. I appreciated the author's stringent and consistent emphasis on safety throughout the entire book. The decision to highlight a few of the most sought-after mushrooms rather than detailing a large number is perfect for beginners and intermediate foragers. The information on each species is on point as well: the appearance, lookalikes, where and when they can be found, how they can best be prepared and preserved... It's comprehensive without being long-winded about it, and covers all the essentials. I'm sure the sections on cooking and preservation will be especially useful to many readers. The book also covers other useful information, such as how to get certified with foraging and how to go about selling excess finds.

I also enjoyed the humorous and practical tone, and the anecdotes sprinkled throughout, which kept it entertaining. I have to mention the bit that highlighted threats from climate change and encouraged foragers to consider it - as an environmentalist, I really appreciated that!

One caveat that should be noted is that this book will be most useful for readers based in the USA, as all of the location and seasonal information is focused on that region. It's understandable as the author is from there, however that does make the book less useful for readers based elsewhere, as descriptions may be less accurate for where you live, and you should consult local guides (both written and human). Nevertheless, there's a lot of other information in here that will be useful regardless of where you live. This is definitely a book I'd want to pick up a physical copy of for reference, to take along while foraging!
I found this book very informative, as a person who enjoys mushrooms, I find many pop out of the ground on our farm. Many are easy to identify, but lately there has been quite a few that have intrigued me.
This book is very detailed with a lot of information, description and photographs.
I have never gone foraging in the country side but my parents had in Europe, with tales of tasty meals of mushrooms.
 Here in Australia I see many people forage in forests and would love to find out more of what is eatable. This book is a good starting point  to learn and look at mushrooms, to be more aware of the identification of some that grow in the area,.and to seek more information on mushroom that may be eatable.
An excellent book for experienced hunters and a good starting point for beginners.
I will definitely buy this book as we are homesteaders who love to forage for mushrooms and fiddle heads.   Knowing what is safe and how to cook them is always important information.   I will have this book on my shelf to refer back on and like the title says..... to forage without dying.
This has the potential to be an interesting and popular foraging book. Its laid-back style and anecdotal asides add to a well-structured and interesting approach to the topic.

That said, the book is dotted with attitudinal statements that detract and in some cases insult the reader. There is one aside where the author shows clear hostility towards people from a different country. As someone who is from that country, I found his statements to be both unpleasant and irrelevant, given that his book is clearly for a North American audience. I could easily have discarded the book at that point, but continuing on, this incident raised my awareness of other asides that could be omitted or rewritten as they are not necessary and are detrimental to the book as a whole.

The book is in draft format, so I will not post more widely. This will allow the author the opportunity to reflect.
--What You Need To Know To Eat Mushrooms and Live--

I received an electronic ARC from Storey Publishing through NetGalley and here are my thoughts.

This book delivers on the promise of its title. The author teaches the reader which 29 mushrooms to focus their foraging efforts on, which mushrooms to give wide berth to, and detailed, concise checklists and excellent photos to help you on your mushroom hunting journey.

This book will give you clarity about the mushrooms you seek to eat.

It will not overwhelm you with geeky mushroom science.

And it's written in an entertaining style, which elevates it even more.

Lastly, the book design, graphics, and layout are excellent, and further enhance the book's value as an invaluable field guide for beginner mushroom foragers.
I'm a forager by nature, and take great joy in finding 'free food' that's fresh, delicious and most importantly, safe to eat. I'll admit that I'm not a mushroom eater, but my husband loves them. Every week we purchase a container of store-bought mushrooms for him. My forager's daydream is to be able to gift him with a basket of fresh, fun, free fungi, picked by hand, and most importantly, safe. I have no wish to become a widow before my time.

If only I could sit down and spend the afternoon chatting with a knowledgeable mushroom forager. Oh, wait... I can! Author Frank Hyman takes a casual, friendly approach towards teaching us about mushroom foraging. The jokes, silly remembering-rhymes and fun anecdotes from his own foraging adventures entertain us as we learn. Behind that relaxed attitude though, the information he shares is solid.

I'm particularly interested in Chicken of the Woods. Frank swears it tastes just like chicken! I'm also intrigued by the Cauliflower mushroom. If it really does taste like buttered egg noodles, one of my childhood favorite dishes, I just might be converted to a mushroom aficionado after all. Based on his recommendations, I googled to see if these mushrooms grew in Michigan. To my delight, they do! I'll continue to search for other mushrooms available to me locally.

Thank you to author Frank Hyman, NetGalley, and Storey Publishing for allowing me to read a digital advance review copy of this book. This review is my honest and unbiased opinion.
I came to this book as a complete beginner with no idea about foraging for mushrooms. What I got from reading it is that actually in a worrying amount of cases there are similar mushrooms, some of which are edible and some of which will make me very sick indeed unless I scrutinise the mushroom in a number of ways. Yet I found the author's tone occasionally a little obnoxious - very much "only idiots will accidentally poison themselves" - and some of his theories such as why English people don't forage for mushrooms were borderline offensive. I think this perhaps was intended as humour as the general tone of the whole book is quite light-hearted, but as an English person I didn't find it that funny. As an English person I also didn't find the book very useful at all as I don't think most of those mushrooms grow in Europe, and I wouldn't have read this book if I had been aware at the start that it is about North American fungi.

On the positive side, the pictures are lovely - but do I think that I would rely on this book to help me identify fungi as a complete beginner? No, absolutely not. I would want to see pictures of each of the identifying features that the author is describing so that I am absolutely sure what I am picking is edible and not a killer. I also think that some of the "small print" details such as "this edible mushroom might cause you gastrointestinal distress if not cooked properly" perhaps ought to have been put in larger print!

I love mushrooms but I'll be leaving their collection to the experts.

Thanks to Netgalley for a free review copy of this book in return for an honest review.
This is a very comprehensive guide on how to
Identify edible mushrooms.   There are several cues and easy to remember rhymes to keep you from eating poisonous and more importantly deadly mushrooms.   Initially I had intended on foraging for edible mushrooms but quite honestly after all the in depth color photography and discussion, somewhere along the line I lost interest.   I think the idea of making a mistake led me to feel compelled to stick to simple white and portabella mushrooms from my grocers shelf.    Thank you to #netgalley  and #frankhyman for this advance copy
Delightful, easy to use, and full of colorful photographs. This is a book I'd recommend anyone carry in their backpack while hiking or taking a stroll out in the woods.
I adored this!
Easy to read and understand with analogy that had me chuckling out loud at times it is a wonderful addition for anyone who is interested in foraging!

Clear pictures, good descriptions or physical features make for easier identification this guide also includes a ton of resources for further reading, information on cleaning, cooking, and storing what you forage, and a really helpful section on the tools you will likely need.

I actually can't wait for this to come out in physical form so that I can add notes to the fungi found here in the UK too so that I can apply the info when I am out in the forests at home.

I would recommend this for all mushroom lovers and hope that one day there is a UK version too!
This book is not for clueless people. It is definitely not a beginner guid. If you never went in the forest for mushrooms I don’t recommend to take this book as a guide. I have been picking up mushrooms since I was a child with my father. Some if the tips are helpful but the book does not offer explanation on how to detect, compare and spot mushrooms that are eatable. The information is kind of vague for a beginner and I wished there were graphic and pictures and more illustrated informations
4☆ A Fascinating Guide to Mushroom Foraging.

How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying is a fascinating book. It explores everything about Mushrooms, the facts and looks at how to identify and forage safely.

Mushrooms have always fascinated me, especially when you see them randomly pop up wild. I have really been impressed with this book. It goes into alot of depth about Mushrooms and I certainly have learnt quiet a bit.

Although there is a fair amount of information before you get to Identifying Mushrooms, the information is not boring in the slightest. I found it to be very informative and more of a conversation style. Perfect for Beginners.

I loved the photographs and they really show the reader just what to look for.
I prefer photographs to illustrations in books like these as the really highlight the colours, and any distinct markings to look out for.
I never knew there was so many types, colours, shapes and sizes. Even one called a Lions Mane and a Tinder Conk which is the shape and look of a Horses Hoof.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in Foraging, Mushrooms or just wants to learn something new.
I haven't had the chance to venture out with this in hand just yet but I really enjoyed reading it! Well designed and with really clear photos. The text has a lot of information with a great tone that made me want to read it all rather than just skimming for the important information. Hyman has actually done most of the work of making sure the most important details are obvious and front and center.
Through NetGalley, I received a free copy of HOW TO FORAGE FOR MUSHROOMS WITHOUT DYING (An Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Identifying 29 Wild, Edible Mushrooms) by Frank Hyman in exchange for an honest review.  This books gives you novice-friendly description of the different types of mushrooms and their habitats before giving clear descriptions and pictures of the listed 29 edible mushrooms and their habitats.  The work also goes above and beyond to point out all of the similar inedible mushrooms and how to distinguish them from the edible ones.  The contents also include suggestions on how to store and use the edible mushrooms.

I liked it and recommend it to those interested in possibly finding and harvesting wild mushrooms.

#HowtoForageforMushroomswithoutDying #NetGalley
I don't like eating mushrooms, but the cover of this book and its description drew me in.  I'm glad I got a copy because this book is really amazing.  I loved learning about mushrooms and how to forage for them, and there are so many cool-looking mushrooms!  The photos are beautiful!  I think I will try to forage for mushrooms now.  Even if I don't pick them to eat, I want to see if I can find any of the ones in this book - sounds like a fun activity.  Maybe I'll just take a photo so as to not waste the mushroom if I don't eat it.
I received an ARC of this book on NetGalley

5 stars for this fungi.

This book is written with the burgeoning forager in mind. If you are just getting into mushroom hunting, like I am, this book is the perfect launch point. It doesn't overwhelm with hundreds of species, spore print requirements, and Latin names. Instead, it is a practical guide that highlights some of the main edible mushrooms and common poisonous ones. The simplicity helped me stay with the hobby instead of feeling like I was overwhelmed and didn't know enough.

I liked the casual tone of the author as well. Carry the book with you in the woods and you'll feel like you've got a guide over your shoulder when you read it. I wish it wasn't 9 pm, I want to go out in the woods after the rain we had all week and see what's sprouting!
I plan on purchasing a physical copy of this book as soon as I have the extra funds. I love mushrooms and have always been interested in foraging for food. The book was laid out so nicely for a beginner and would absolutely make me feel more confident when going out to hunt on my own. I would recommend this to any newbie mushroom forager.
How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying is an absolute beginner's guide to safely foraging for edible mushrooms. The book includes basic information about mushrooms, guidelines for staying as safe as possible, and identifications of many common mushrooms a person is likely to find.

This a really great beginner's guide for someone who is starting the hobby of foraging for mushrooms. The author does a great job of using simplified language (and some humor) that makes the book easy to follow and understand without feeling like a textbook. The use of sayings and rhymes for the rules and guidelines is clever, and a helpful way to help the reader remember these very important tips. I found the book well illustrated, in particular the chapters on common mushroom identification. How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying is well written and full of useful information, and is a book I would recommend for anyone interested in taking up this hobby.

Thanks to Netgalley and Storey Publishing for this ARC; this is my honest and voluntary review.
I read a LOT of foraging books (and have written a couple) and this is probably my favorite mushroom foraging book that I've read. It's filled with color photos and really complete information about mushrooms. It tells all the ways to ID them, doesn't overly rely on spore prints, tells look-alikes, and even tells you the best way to eat and preserve them. This is a fantastic book for beginners but will also be well loved by those of us who are already used to gathering mushrooms. Love, love, love.

I will definitely be recommending it on our family foraging blog and the free nature/foraging magazine that I publish (Wild Kids Magazine) when it's published in October 2021.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.