Cover Image: How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying

How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying

HOW TO FORAGE FOR MUSHROOMS WITHOUT DYING by Frank Hyman

As the title implies, this is a very interesting book.  People ask all the time if the mushrooms you see growing wild are edible.  I happen to be married to a Shiitake mushroom grower, so I have all the mushrooms I'll ever need.  I think this book would be a very handy resource to have, in the event of an apocalyptic event, if food becomes hard to attain.

Everyone would become a forager and it would be awesome to know what mushrooms are edible and which are not.  We live in the woods and are always on the lookout for morels.  I have known people who hunt all of the wild mushrooms for food and fun.

The author gives expert advice as to what you are looking for and what to avoid when hunting for mushrooms.

Highly recommend.

Much gratitude to #netgalley for the complimentary copy of #howtoforageformushroomswithoutdying I was under no obligation to post a review.
I received a copy of this book through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review.

This is an in depth book!

I was surprised how thorough it is! While the book is not written in a super academic way, but it is a bit dense at times. The book includes pictures, identifying tips, rhymes to remember what to eat, and other helpful information!

The book emphasizes what not to eat which is very helpful as a beginner. There's information on how to identify mushrooms as well as how to handle and prepare them. There's beautiful pictures and explanations of where to find mushrooms and the time of year.

A very interesting guide about mushroom foraging!
How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying by Frank Hyman is an excellent collection and user-friendly read introducing the wonderful world of foraging, identifying, and enjoying mushrooms.

The author presents the subject matter concisely, easily, and in a way that even beginners can appreciate and understand. We get an overall introduction to mushrooms, how to forage, what to look for, how to identify commonly encountered types of mushrooms in the US,, and what to do with said finds.

The descriptions, the references, the images, and pictures were exquisite. I loved the Safety Rhymes for Beginners. So catchy and so accurate.

This is an excellent resource that has so much, yet is presented so well, that it can be essential for any forager, nature enthusiast, or recreational hiker from beginner to experienced, I will be using this book to help introduce and teach my son the wide world of mushrooms.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Storey Publishing for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 10/12/21.
The blurb reads "With the surging interest in foraging for mushrooms, those new to the art need a reliable guide to distinguishing the safe fungi from the toxic. But for beginner foragers who just want to answer the question “Can it eat it?”, most of the books on the subject are dry, dense, and written by mycologists for other mycologists.

Frank Hyman to the rescue! How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying is the book for anyone who walks in the woods and would like to learn how to identify just the 29 edible mushrooms they’re likely to come across. In it, Hyman offers his expert mushroom foraging advice, distilling down the most important information for the reader in colorful, folksy language that’s easy to remember when in the field."

This book was very interesting and relevant, I know many people that forage for food.  Mushrooms are something you really cant take any chances with and if you live in the US this is an excellent guide.  the pictures were helpful and make the recognition simple.

Thank you to Netgalley, Storey Publishing and the author Frank Hyman for giving me the opportunity to read an early copy of 'How to Forage for Mushrooms Without Dyinng."
This is a great, easy guidebook for anybody who wants to try their hand at mushroom foraging! I've been foraging for mushrooms since I was little but I still learned so much from this book. My only wish was that they had included a map showing where each mushroom could be found by region.
I can think of nothing more useful for someone new to cooking fresh from outdoors than an instructional book on how to choose edible mushrooms! I love the photos and diagrams in the book along with the descriptions of what you can and cannot eat safely.
As I've tried to lean more about my father's Slovak roots I've come to learn that Slovakians love to forage for mushrooms. However, as many of those who would be interested in this book my mother's voice rang clear in my head reminding me that mushrooms could be poisonous. Now, I feel more confident in the idea of foraging for mushrooms even if I will still check my work with an experienced mushroom forager before I eat one.
Wow what an excellent book for us new mushroom beginners. I wish I had a book like this many years ago.

It has an easy language and is full of information. not just about what mushrooms we can forage and eat safely but also a a lot of other basic information about mushrooms. Things that I find it fun to learn and it is delivered in a great format, an easy to understand language for us beginner who knows very little more than that we like shrooms.

The only thing I miss is because I don't live in US some info, like where some mushrooms grow don't help me. Like where to find them as the book is only for US, which states and when. I know it can be hard to add other regions but I as European miss that information and for me, it isn't as important which state in US which mushrooms grow in.

Overall a great book and I can see myself using it when I'm out foraging for mushrooms.
I always love the idea of foraging food that is free and wild nature provides. The author is authorized to sell foraged mushrooms in three US states but doesn’t offer which three.  I did not read all the way through just picked through some interesting parts. I don’t even like mushrooms but I am awed at the science behind and know mushrooms can be deadly.

What did I like? Other than the small button mushrooms in the store I tend to stay away from them. But nature walks I have to conclude there is a ton of different kinds and some have medicinal property’s. The book offers tons of pictures to help you identify and descriptions of mushrooms you could see foraging. It also helps you understand what properties on the mushroom could leave you to avoiding poisoning and deter between look a-likes.

Would I recommend or buy? From what I can see this is a lovely book for foragers. For what areas I couldn’t tell because it doesn’t seem included. My knowledge of mushrooms are limited and I’m not sure if areas around the world carry the similar types. Still it was a unique identifier and I enjoyed it.

I received a complimentary copy to read and voluntarily left a review!
I'm learning to identify mushrooms and this is one of a bundle of books that can help identify what is what.  Sadly this book is based on what mushrooms grow in America but some of the mushrooms also grow locally so I could still use it for double or triple checking my information as I will (and anyone else) should only consume a mushroom that they are 100% sure of its identity, checked and compare with different sources.

This book is very informative and gives great information.
How To Forage For Mushrooms Without Dying is an absolute banger of a book!

My husband is a professional chef and self-confessed mushroom freak (and being a Yorkshireman, loves a bit of food for free!). He confirms that this is the best mushroom book he has ever read.

On local walks lately he has been explaining the reasons behind why certain mushrooms are edible, and has a renewed passion for foraging. The insights behind why some fungi are dangerous (or not) is clearly and interestingly explained in this book, along with clear photographs.  It has even worked its way into bedtime reading!

A brilliantly interesting and informative read, highly recommended to all who love mushrooms...or free stuff that doesn’t kill you.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.
An interesting guide based upon AMERICAN foraging although quite a few of the species are familiar to those of us in Europe. It does demystify some mycology but keeps enough science in there to help beginner understand the biology of these fungi.  I like the way that the author splits them into habitats - essentially growing on trees on or the ground. The descriptions are clear and the 'similar not so nice' taxa are useful to see alongside the edible ones. He has sufficient words of caution to cover most concerns and there is always the fall-back of  "if in doubt, don't". Personally I still prefer a more traditional book but I'm a professional botanist who is reasonably familiar with the wide range of British Flora but I can see that this would be a good introduction to the novice or person who wants to start  exploring the world of edible mushrooms safely. Thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
I enjoyed reading this book so much! This book on Mycology and the foraging of mushrooms approaches the topic in a way that makes it easy for someone like myself, who is not experienced in the field but wants to learn more and further my knowledge, to understand and grasp! The writing of the book is very easy understand, and the images are super helpful in understanding the traits mentioned to look out for when distinguishing edible mushrooms in the wild.

The details and expansive knowledge in this book paired with the simplistic nature of its execution truly made this guide a wonderful experience to read. I love the idea of foraging and can’t express how grateful I am for a book like this that doesn’t feel like a daunting task to read and understand as an inexperienced newbie. Overall a very interesting and enjoyable read, and I feel very happy to have gotten the opportunity to get a look into the world of Mycology through Frank Hyman’s wisdom! Special thank you to Storey Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this advanced copy!
Can’t wait to try hunting mushrooms. Although the ones that I see on a walk just don’t look tasty. I believe I won’t poison myself with a wild mushroom now.
Excellent Friendly and Informative Guide to 29 Mushroom Species.... and More

For nearly a decade, I was an inhabitant of mushroom country on the Mendocino Coast. Foraging for mushrooms was so popular in the fall that we actually had a festival just for mushrooms and an expert on hand who would make sure foragers’ finds were safe. This is a book I wish I had back then to sell at my specialty food store. It is geared for the true foraging novice (though any interested in mushrooming would enjoy its easy-to-read text and wonderful mushroom photos), providing lots of general information about safe mushrooming and specific information about 29 different edible mushrooms commonly found in the wild. This book has a lot of mushroom photographs, often showing differences between mushrooms and aspects of there. An introductory section helps educate about mushrooms in general, including their appearance. Not sure what warts, veils, or gills look like? You'll find illustrated examples and illuminating but easy-to-read text that helps you understand what they mean when you are looking for safely edible mushrooms. The author broadly splits edible mushrooms into ones that can be found on trees or on the ground. Within these sections, the author further divides them into mushrooms with gills and ones without. Again, this is a perfect way to divide mushrooms for the novice: where do you find them, and what easy characteristic differentiates them? Each section about specific mushroom types has similar general information, how to handle them, how to cook them, and all its specific defining characteristics. I absolutely love this book and wish that I were still in mushroom country. I learned so much, and you will, too, if you decide to purchase this book... which you should if you want to safely forage for mushrooms.
I am a field guide lover! And this guide is perfect! A wonderfully written book with lots of coloured pictures and black & white diagrams that teaches beginners, like me, about mushrooms. It is laid out in a manner that makes it easy to quickly reference to find the information that you need.
The author includes a descriptive chapter explaining what mushrooms are.  Another on how to forage safely and responsibly because that is just as important! Who knew that the growths we see on trees are actually mushrooms!? Then the book moves into educating the reader about the mushrooms that grow "at your feet".
The author also includes information on how to cook and preserve the mushrooms we have picked and the tools we need to help us forage.
Further resources, if you want to learn even more, are included at the back of the book.

I have added this book to my "books to buy" list because it is going to be great to have it in hard copy and keep it for referencing for years to come. I believe that many others will find it a necessary addition to their library as well!

Thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
It's a great book, well written, with some amusing anecdotes, which would suit novice foragers based in the US perfectly.

As this book is written with the Americas in mind, the actual mushrooms described aren't as useful to me living in the UK. While some mushrooms seem to also appear in the UK (based on other guides I've read), I will not be using this guide for UK mushroom identification:
"never, ever put a mushroom in your mouth if you're not 100 percent sure of its identity."

I love all-things mushroom and foraging, and this book still has helpful tips for tools and cooking/preserving techniques.
Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for allowing access to this publication in exchange for honest feedback.

I don’t know much (if anything) about foraging and/or mushrooms or fungi. However, I live (essentially) in a large forested area so you would think that I should know. I was just always told to stay away from them, consider them poisonous. I saw this book on offer and thought, “Why not?” Let’s learn about our surroundings and be able to connect with nature like our ancestors.

I was pleased with this book’s offerings and photos. Like I said, I had barely any preconceived knowledge before reading this book so I’m approaching as a beginner. However I do know that a lot of young people are really into the idea of foraging and this may be an excellent book for learning all about the dos and don’ts
As a forager and fungi fanatic, I read every book about the subject I can possibly get my hands on.  So, when I saw this one available, I requested it in a nanosecond.  No exaggeration...I DREAM of foraging for fungi, doing spore prints, identifying, photographing, scrutinizing, attending mushroom conferences and festivals...and live part time in Canada where we have six months of snow and cold annually so our mushroom timeframe is so short.  Like the author, I forage in Europe (live there part time, too) and can relate to foraging in Italy on anniversaries!  This is a fabulous book for those who wish to learn more about starting out.  Encouraging as well.  As you see here, it needn't be daunting.

Frank Hyman has a way with words...simple enough for anyone to understand with down-to-earth vocabulary including "tree poop"!  He describes parasites, saprobes and mycorrhizal relationships in layman's terms.  Important information to know.  He also explains mushroom anatomy, what to avoid, what to look for, how to forage, how to keep and store mushrooms.  One of the most crucial subjects he discusses is handling which can make or break an outing.  Not only that but he puts myths and wives' tales to rest which are commonplace especially in Central and Eastern Europe where foraging rules!  A favourite memorable reminder for me in this book is "treat like meat".  So, so true.  He includes many good tips in a logical way to make them easier to recall.

The next section of the book is about specific mushrooms, how to identify them, where and when to find them, how to cook and store them.  His cooking ideas are wonderful!  Many foragers seem to basically slice and fry but Hyman goes beyond blanket frying for each one and even enjoying one "rare"!  His "egg noodle" mushroom explanation makes me salivate!  Look alikes are also mentioned which is critical.  When my first foray began I learned which ones are deadly first.  At the back is a reference section and recommended resources.  There are a few I was unaware of so am grateful to see this.

This book is perfect for beginners and inspiring for those who yearn to get out there and forage.  A book I will happily add to my fungi shelf.  Can't wait to smell that earthy foresty scent of spring which to me means mushrooms.

My sincere thank you to Storey Publishing and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this wonderful ARC.  The cover is what my dreams are made of!
Date reviewed/posted: March 6, 2021
Publication date: October 12, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, AND it is a loverly minus 26 degrees, snowy and icy where I am currently stuck living, so superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Frank Hyman to the rescue! How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying is the book for anyone who walks in the woods and would like to learn how to identify just the 21 edible mushrooms they’re likely to come across. In it, Hyman offers his expert mushroom foraging advice, distilling down the most important information for the reader in colourful, folksy language that’s easy to remember when in the field.

Want an easy way to determine if a mushroom is a delicious morel or a toxic false morel? Slice it in half – “if it’s hollow, you can swallow,” Hyman says. Is a mushroom toxic? “If you smell it and your head snaps back, do not put it in your sack.” With Frank Hyman’s expert advice and easy-to-follow guidelines, readers will be confident in identifying which mushrooms they can safely eat and which ones they should definitely avoid.

Mushrooms are one of my favourite foods on the planet - but I don't forage for them as I do not trust myself --- but now maybe I do. This is a great guide on how to go out in the woods and find some dinner as it is not dry and dusty - this is a man with a great sense of humour, to say the least. I will recommend this book to the patron-foragers I know ... and I know quite a few!

bottom line:
*****************
IF YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE IT, DO NOT EAT IT.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄