Cover Image: Dark Intercept

Dark Intercept

Dark Intercept is a fast-paced, highly suspenseful book. The main characters are well-developed and take the reader along for quite the ride with their emotions. The plot has twists and turns that kept my interest level high throughout the book. There is a big one in the Epilogue!
Brian Andrews and Jeffrey Wilson are both new authors to me. I would definitely read more of their work. I have no idea how two authors work together to write a seamless story, but these two have it down to a fine art.
I would recommend this book to my family and friends and to readers of Christian suspense.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley.
When times get tough, some readers find catharsis in reading thrillers.  Military thrillers are always popular, especially during times when brush fire wars threaten.  Andrews and Wilson, capitalizing on their military background established themselves through series such as the Tier One and the Sons of Valor.  Long removed from military life, I was not interested in a realistic plot.  When the team developed the Shepherds series, one that places issues of belief ahead of the more cliched themes of wartime, I was sold.

Faith in the Shepherd series is told from the Christian point of view.  Using the Bible as a foundation for the values and for the questions concerning good and evil, our hero Jedidiah Johnson travels an action packed road towards a new and life changing duty.

The book opens with Jedidiah very reluctantly retiring from the SEALS. Injuries plus age prevent him from continuing his career.  Within a heartbeat the book turns to a race to recover a kidnapped child.  A child that should have been his.  Andrews and Wilson know their stuff when it comes both to describing strategy and showing action.  While questions of faith and doubt are always there, the
theme never slows the pace of the story.  The climatic ending leaves a reader eager for the next
installment.  I am happy there is more to come from the Shepherds.

Highly recommended.  A good candidate for book clubs and suitable for YA audiences.

Full disclosure: I received this ARC from netgalley and Tyndale House in exchange for an unbiased review.  Thank you for this opportunity.
The authors present a four-star plot with a two-star theme. The story is good and would make a great faith-based book except it attempts to embody spiritual warfare into real armies, both good and bad. The plot would work very well without the addition of the fictionalized creation of spiritual beings that can read people’s minds while also attempting to coerce them to act in ways that are against their best interest and the best interest of humanity. I felt like these “spiritual” elements were sometimes added because the authors did not know how to make the necessary transitions without their additions to the story.

The underlying plot - a young girl being kidnapped, and a former Navy Seal being asked to find and rescue her, would make a great thriller. But with addition of spiritual warfare, the story lost its thrill. Spiritual warfare is real, but not as personified in this book.

If written as a fantasy, rather than a faith-based story, it may have been more acceptable. I will look forward to reading more of these "fantasies"; however, as it is, I have to give the book three-stars.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are mine alone.
Turned off by the weirdness. Too much paranormal! For a Christian novel I was surprised by the language. I liked the SEAL team aspect and working together for good. A special school for people like Sara Beth was just too far out there.
Retired Navy SEAL Jedidiah Johnson gets a phone call from his former childhood best friend stating his daughter is missing. Against his desire to keep a distance from this former friend, Jed returns to Nashville, his childhood hometown to help David find his daughter.

What follows is a story stepped in the spiritual. Through special giftings or abilities to tangibly hear and see the spiritual warfare taking place around them, Jed, David and David’s wife Rachel are able to discover where the little girl has been taken..

In some ways, this story reminded me of the Murphy Shepherd series by Charles Martin as the main character sets off to find someone missing and is in a very clear battle against good and evil. However, Dark Intercept focuses more on spiritual warfare that is happening all around us.

I enjoyed reading this story by Andrews and Wilson. The pacing was fast and steady. The story engaging and enjoyed learning about the characters and the battles they were facing! I’m excited to read book two in this series!
This book is different from what I’m usually drawn to, but I’m so glad I decided to read it! Dark Intercept is suspense with a supernatural twist that highlights the reality of the spiritual warfare that is raging around us. It’s easy to forget about what we can’t see, but this gripping thriller helps bring it to the forefront. This book is full of nail-biting suspense, nonstop action, compelling characters, and authentic faith. I think fans of Ronie Kendig’s Book of the Wars series will enjoy this one!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I have read Tier One and Sons of Valor by the authors and thought this book would be along the same track.  It was and it wasn't.  In this book, the authors have a lot of the same great action and suspense but this time it's paired with spiritual warfare.  The battle is more good vs evil even though there are definitely human villains.  In this book, some are gifted with special abilities that give them a unique ability to see the battle while others use their gifts to take the battle to the enemy.  I think it could make some uncomfortable.  I thought it was fascinating and it was interesting watching people learn how to use their special gifts.

This is a great start to the Shepherds series.  It was fast-paced.  It was hard to put down.  I enjoyed the marriage of faith and firepower.
I liked Jed and Sara Beth a lot.  I look forward to seeing what happens with them in the next book.

Thank you to Tyndale House for providing me with a free e-copy of this book.  All opinions are my own.
Dark Intercept
Brian Andrews
Jeffrey Wilson

The Special Forces in the military are well trained, then sent out to accept working dangerous and confidential projects that few citizens would think about let alone attempt. Jedidiah Johnston was a Navy Seal.  His code:  Tactical Superiority, Courage under fire and Unbreakable brotherhood.  Each and every one of them lived by the code, while activated and in retirement.  He was not happy that he had to retire but he knew that due to injuries suffered in a mission he would not be able to complete and protect his brotherhood.  He missed working with them, needed his brother's contact and support but he was alone now.  A phone call changed his world.  It was from an old friend he hadn't spoken to for 16 years. David needed his help and although he wasn't on good terms with him, he knew he had to listen to what the man had to say.  David had married Jedś girlfriend Rachel.  The anger still brewed within him.  He could tell the man was in tears, overwhelmed with fear.  His help was not for David or Rachel;  their daughter, Sarah Beth had been kidnapped.  They wanted his help for her rescue.  As a Seal he felt compelled to come to her aide.
This incredible suspense novel is a journey into a world I didn't know existed.  True, I knew our talents as humans are given in many forms.  Yes, many SciFi books or movies create stories that are unreal but exciting and mysterious.  This one had a touch of realty.  It was intriguing, very well written by Andrews and Wilson.  This is the first book in The Shepherds series.  I received a promo for it, so I decided to read more.  This novel gives us a Christian base into the compelling journey that Johnston took while trying to rescue Sarah Beth Yarnell.
Dark Intercept was published on September 7, 2021 by Tyndale House Publishers.  It is written by Brian Andrews and Jeffery Wilson.  I appreciate Tyndale allowing me to read and review Dark Intercept via NetGalley.  This novel gives us a tribe of wicked men and women who attempt to rid the world of peace, serenity, and brotherhood.  It is an outstanding read, not one to be missed.  Enjoy.
I absolutely loved this book! I loved the intertwining of spiritual warfare with the military spec ops. Jed, the main character, was struggling with not just his retirement from the SEALs but also with his faith. I feel like I could completely relate with some of his faith-based struggles and that made this story more personal. I was extremely appreciative of the portrayal of the twelve-year-old girl in this story. The writers made her believeable for her age and made her voice come across as perfect for her age in her situation. As the mother of a twelve-year-old girl, I thoroughly appreciate that they didn't make her sound five or twenty five. I have stopped reading books in the past because the author grossly misrepresented the child they are writing. The action and flow of this story made the pages fly by with out even realizing it. I was so caught up in the story, I was done and now waiting (impatiently) for the next one!!

Thank you to Tyndale Publishers and NetGalley for this advanced digital ARC.
Dark Intercept contains great action that I’ve come to expect in an Andrews & Wilson novel. So they surprised me when it went deeper, addressing faith, spirituality, and the supernatural.

The authors expertly balanced those elements to deliver a page-turning action-packed thriller featuring Navy SEAL Jedidiah Johnson, who has been forced to retire on a medical because of injuries he sustained in his last SEAL mission. But on the eve of his medical retirement, he receives a desperate call from an estranged childhood friend whose daughter has been kidnapped. The former friend begs Jed to help. He’s reluctant at first, he’s a Navy SEAL operator, an expert at kicking down doors during intricately planned missions. He’s not an investigator or law enforcement. And there is a lot of baggage between the former friends, not the least that the friend’s wife, Rachel, was Jed’s first love.

Jed agrees to help, and that puts him on a path where he clashes with the police, opens old wounds with Rachel, and finds himself in a conspiracy with supernatural elements as he tracks down the kidnapped girl.

Although I’m not a huge reader of books that are supernatural or faith-based, I enjoyed DARK INTERCEPT. The authors don’t beat you over the head with the spiritual stuff and it really adds an interesting bent to an action-packed thriller that won’t disappoint fans of their more straight military thriller series like TIER ONE.

I’ve read a review that called DARK INTERCEPT as TAKEN meets STRANGER THINGS and that is a perfect and succinct description to this great new series from Andrews and Wilson.
An absolute hit and fantastic start to a new series by a powerhouse team of Brian Andrews and Jeffrey Wilson! You do not want to miss this one!

Navy SEAL Jedidiah Johnson wants to retire and leave the hectic and dangerous life of the SEALS behind him. On the night of his retirement, he gets a call from a childhood friend who desperately needs his help. Even though they have been estranged for years, Jed goes back to Nashville to help David and his wife Rachel, Jed’s first love. David and Rachel’s daughter has been kidnapped and the police have no leads. The history between Jed, David, and Rachel almost keeps him from coming to help, but the thought of an innocent little girl being hurt because of something he can’t get past is not something he wants on his conscious. As soon as he arrives, he finds himself in danger and mysterious forces work against his presence there to help. Soon he finds himself in a hard place, a place he never wanted to be again, a place with the voices back in his head. All things he believed he left behind when he joined the Navy come back to the surface. To save the missing girl, he must go to a place of faith he abandoned long ago to win a fight against good and evil.

This was my first book by this writing pair and I am kicking myself for having gone this long without discovering their writing. This story sucked me in from the first page and held on to me tighter than any story has done in a long time. I have been on a streak of reading several mediocre books and have been aching for something that really touched me and kept the adrenaline pumping. This was that story! I am so glad I picked this one up and gave it a chance. Not only is Jed a great main character, but every other character in the book also plays their roll to perfection. I knew without a doubt before I was even halfway through that this was going to be a series I would want to stick with. There is so much more to unpack with these characters; I want to know more about the history with Jed, David, and Rachel. The little it was touched on was just not enough to satisfy my thirst for their history. Give me more of Ben and his team, how they came together, and their backstories. The possibilities feel endless; I just hope Andrews and Wilson feel the same and keep the stories coming for the Shepard’s. I recommend this book to anyone that loves a good, fast-paced military thriller with a spiritual aspect that gets dark but keeps the light.

I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher.  The views and opinions expressed within are my own.
Authors Brian Andrews and Jeffrey Wilson have had a bang-up couple of years.

In addition to thrilling readers with installments of their popular Tier One and Sons of Valor series, the authors were tapped to continue W. E. B. Griffin’s legacy, and this month they kick off another new series—already optioned for television adaptation!—with a page-turning first book, DARK INTERCEPT.

The novel introduces us to Navy SEAL Jedidiah Johnson, who is forced to bid farewell to arms after a terrorist bullet cuts his career short. But when his high school buddy, David Yarnell, begs for help, he takes on a “last mission” to find David’s 12-year-old abducted daughter, Sarah Beth. At first, Jed is reluctant; he’s the kind of special operator more suited for search and destroy missions, not investigative work. But on a more personal level, his estranged friend David is married to Jed’s first love, Rachel.

You can read the rest of the feature article in the September edition of The Big Thrill
Dark Intercept is a well written inspirational thriller.  Great edge of your seat plot.  My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my advance ebook.  This is my unbiased review.
I really enjoyed the storyline and can’t wait to read the next one! The spiritual warfare angle was done well and thought provoking.
** “The Bible is full of stories where God used flawed, seemingly unworthy people to fulfill His purpose. He doesn’t call the perfect to His service, or there would be no servants at all. He calls the ordinary, the damaged, and the uncertain to faith.” **

“Dark Intercept” by Brian Andrews and Jeffrey Wilson takes on good versus evil in an action-packed story filled with spiritual warfare and a reign of terror.

When Navy SEAL Jed Johnson is contacted by his estranged high school best friend, David Yarnell, that his daughter has been kidnapped, Jed begrudgingly returns to his hometown to help find 12-year-old Sarah Beth.

But Jed quickly learns there is more to the story, as Sarah Beth has special gifts that Jed just might have too — gifts the Dark Ones want to use for evil. Can Jed, along with a secret protective group, find Sarah Beth and stop the Dark Ones from completing their horrific mission in time?

“Dark Intercept” is a fast-paced, heart-thumping story with a supernatural influence that keeps the readers on the edge of their seat, following incredible twists and turns. Andrews and Wilson also do a great job of developing both truly good and delectably evil characters.

They also fill the book with some great themes, like we must walk in the light; “Be not afraid; I (God) walk with you”; God equips us for the path we choose; the importance of wearing the full armor of God; good will come from surrendering for God; and Jeremiah 29:11, that God has a hope, plan and future for us.

One warning: this book does contain a lot of violence; some alcohol use; and curse words.

Fans of Mike Dellosso, Craig Parshall, Mike Nappa, James R. Hannibal and the Delusion series by Laura Gallier will enjoy “Dark Intercept.”

Five stars out of five.

Tyndale House Publishers provided this complimentary copy through NetGalley for my honest, unbiased review.
Wow, that was an intense read! This is the first book I’ve ready by this duo, but I will surely be looking into their other titles. It’s not for the faint of heart—part This Present Darkness and part Kindergarten Cop. There’s a lot of blood and gore, but at the heart of this story is the assurance that evil forces are still working in the spiritual realm whether they can be physically seen or not. Well written and fast-paced, if you like Christian suspense you’ll love this book.
I received a complimentary copy of the book from NetGalley and the publisher.
Authors: Andrews & Wilson
Publisher: Tyndale House
On-Sale Date: Sept. 7th
Synopsis: Newly-retired Navy SEAL Jed Johnson finds himself engaged in an urgent new operation: tracking down twelve year-old Sarah Beth and her kidnappers.
Personal Connection

The book is a supernatural thriller and the Lord really used it to speak to me! I have been experiencing spiritual warfare, recently, and the book shed light on the realities of my own circumstances. It’s not a flesh and blood battle!

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”

Eph. 6:12
What I Liked

The writing was excellent! I was especially impressed with the chapters written from Sarah Beth’s perspective. I felt that the authors did a particularly good job of capturing Sarah Beth’s youthful innocence, without losing sight of her unique gifting and intelligence. She is an insightful, extremely believable, character. I’m also rather amused that these were my favorite (in terms of writing) sections, considering that both authors are male.
Along this line, this is my first time reading a book by these authors. However, if they haven’t done so yet, I hope they write a children’s book— partially because I was so impressed with Sarah Beth’s (third-person limited) narration, and partially because this book was a bit intense for me (but really good!).
In terms of content and writing, the book reminded me of Ted Dekker’s writing. I say that as a compliment, because Dekker is one of my very favorite novelists.
The pacing was also delicious! While I had a little bit of trouble “getting into” the prologue (a snapshot of a battle scene in Afghanistan), I was hooked from chapter one! The authors have a knack for switching between perspectives just when things are getting interesting. It drives me crazy and keeps me reading!
Similarly, the mystery elements were engaging and intriguing. I really like how Andrews and Wilson kept me guessing.
I very much appreciated the supernatural emphasis, which was so timely for me.
Spiritual Elements

As I’ve mentioned above, the book strongly sheds light on the reality of spiritual battles, which we see described in Eph. 6. Like This Present Darkness, a popular Christian novel by Frank Peretti, I believe this book has a lot of potential to raise awareness among Christians. In general, I am “aware” of spiritual warfare, but the Lord really used it for me to shed light on spiritual warfare that I’ve recently experienced. For this reason, the book felt practically useful, in addition to being a well-crafted work of fiction.

With that said, I think I would have liked to see a bit more direct interaction with the Heavenly Father. There was a lot of emphasis on the physical battle, alongside the spiritual. While the physical battle was integral to the plotline, I think I wanted more of a conscious recognition that God was the One battling.

This is in no way to say that the book “leaves God out” of it. There are numerous references to His role in the battle between good and evil. I am just a little bit wary of emphasis on the impressiveness of spiritual warfare/ gifts over the Holy Spirit Himself. I’m NOT saying this book does that. Instead, I’m saying that, for a reader who struggle with the temptation to focus on the supernatural for its own sake , I’d advise caution.

Content Notes

One thing I really liked is that, in a few instances that used the Lord’s Name, the authors specifically allude to prayer, not just exclamation. (For those who are concerned, there were a few “swear“ words. I’m more concerned about the Lord’s name.)

There’s a flashback to rape.

There’s quite a bit of violence / intense scenes. With that said, I felt that the content was appropriately suited to the subject-matter, not gratuitous. It makes sense to me that, in a book about the battle between good and evil, there’s going to be violence. It wouldn’t really make sense to omit evil. In this sense, I feel that the content was appropriate to the subject matter, but certainly not mild. I wouldn’t say that this was a “scary” book, though 🙂

Recommendation Status

Fast-paced, gripping and well-written, this is definitely a book for adults—or at least older teens. I would particularly recommend it as an illustration of the reality of spiritual warfare.
Always on the hunt for a book that is not the norm? This is that book. Not only is it full of action, it has believable characters. Jedidiah Johnson is a hero at a cross road of his life. Because of his injuries he is forced into retirement. He is unsure where to turn when a phone call from a long ago friend leads him to Nashville. What he find might be unbelievable but will change his life.
Jed is a very human hero with flaws, along with Sarah Beth and others you meet this book will take you on an adventure that will leave you wanting to find someone who else has read it so you can talk about it.
A great storyline that you will find yourself digesting days later.
I enjoyed the read and will follow the series. I am, however, a bit confused as to what I read and how I am meant to take it as it is a bit of Screw Tape Letters meets The Gray Man meets David Baldacci kind of thing. From the Christian side, it has elements of grace, redemption, submission, Holy Spirit guidance, and the battle of good and evil. From the thriller side, it presents a good guys, bad guys conflict in a modern special operations environment. From the paranormal side, we get demons, possession, and the war against God and his people. It is an odd mix that makes for an interesting read from the Tier One guys.
Book Review – Dark Intercept – Andrews & Wilson
Dark Intercept is a new series – The Shepherds Series -- from Andrews and Wilson and separate from their Tier One and Sons of Valor series. It’s a really good faith-based, spiritual novel based around a former Navy SEAL named, Jedidiah Johnson. On the eve of his retirement, Jed receives a frantic call from his disgruntled childhood best friend, David Yarnell, now a minister. David’s daughter has been kidnapped in Nashville in broad daylight. The police have no suspects and no leads, and the only clue is the body of a dead priest left at the scene of the kidnapping. With the clock ticking, David is growing desperate, as is his wife, Rachel, who just so happens to be Jed’s first love, many years ago. This is an edge-of-your-seat, deep spiritual action thriller. Andrews and Wilson continue to amaze me in how they nicely intertwine faith and ‘violence of action’ all in one carefully planned story. The story is action filled and the pace was intense. As expected from the tag-team duet, the characters were well developed, and the dialogue was believable. This book was a pleasant surprise and what I especially liked about it is Andrews and Wilson’s efforts to tell a story of how a military warrior like Jed Johnson could use his faith and spiritual gifts to bring light and hope into the darkness of wrongdoing. These guys nailed this spiritual faith-based action thriller without being preachy nor overly religious. I could tell that they stepped out of their comfort zone in creating this new series which is deeper than what we are used to from them. The book is still packed with military action, but the faith and spiritual elements have been stepped up and done very well.. I’m excited to read the next installment and highly recommend Dark Intercept. It’s scheduled to be published on September 7. Special thank you to Brian Andrews and Jeff Wilson, NetGalley and Tyndale House Publishers for the electronic ARC, Advance Reader’s Copy.