Cover Image: The Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities

The Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities

This book was unfortunately a DNF for me, but for good reason. As someone who has only really read Rick Riordan's novels, it was difficult to connect with the works done by other authors as I had no previous experience with them. I lacked context to the characters or situations they were in, which made it hard to keep reading. While this wasn't the best read for me, however, I am sure to someone who has decided to explore the works done by the authors affiliated with Riordan, this would be a fun and expansive read!
I love Rick Riordan books and I introduced them to many of the older children I worked with at the library. This one will please his many fans nd maybe entice them to try works by the other authors in this short story anthology. Make nice gift for his fans!
Fun collection of short stories featuring your favorite heroes from the Rick Riordan Presents imprint plus a new Irish hero from Rick Riordan himself. Recommended for fans of the many series.
Rick Riordan and everything under his umbrella is middle school GOLD! It’s like hitting the jackpot, especially to get an anthology of short stories. I’m always looking for stories to use throughout the year that are highly engaging and easy to spark discussions. I’ve now got another anthology to pull from!
I received this copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I love all Rick Riordan books, but found this one a little hard to get into. It was however well liked by my kids once we started reading. I loved that there were multiple stories that we could read. It made really nice stoping points and kept the kids interested. It was a good book but our favorites are still his Percy Jackson books.
I love that they put together a group of short stories by the Rick Riordan Presents authors. These are amazing samples of each of their writing to get children exciting about starting series by each of these authors.
Unfortunately this one is a dnf for me. I struggled so much while reading this and I tried multiple stories and just didn't mesh with any of them. Even the characters I've known from other stories I wasn't fully invested and didn't seem to really care about what was going on. I read 3 stories in full and tried bits of others but ultimately decided this just wasn't for me.
I loved this collection of short stories! I've read most of the Rick Riordan Imprint series and it was very fun to see more stories set in those universes. Even for the imprints I haven't read, I felt like it was still really easy to follow along with the stories. Plus, Rick's short story (as usual) was amazing and leaves me itching for more honestly.
One liner: Fans of Percy Jackson will love this collection of short stories from the Rick Riordan Presents worlds.

The book ends with Rick Riordan giving us a new hero in the world of Celtic Myhology.  It ends at the exact point a new series could kick off.  Wishful thinking?

My son and I love reading the Rick Riordan and Rick Riordan presents books together.  This was a great chance to visit old friends and see them in a new adventure.  It is also a great way to test out if you want to jump into the Rick Riordan Presents world if you haven't already.

I am thankful for the electronic copy of the book that I received from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.  I purchased the audible version on my own.
If you don't know the authors who are part of the "Rick Riordan Presents" project, this book is a marvelous sampler/introduction. If you have read a few of those authors, (and I strongly recommend that you do), this is a tasty way to get some short story treats from the authors you like and to meet a few you may have overlooked. The stories are not just quick shorties; they have some heft. In any event this is good stuff. You don't need to know the various series' backstories or histories, although that will probably help, or at least enhance your enjoyment, with some of them. The Riordan Presents imprint is actually pretty impressive; it's fun to see samples of the best gathered in one volume like this.
This is such a nice little collection of stories that really keeps you reading. Even if there's one you might not like as much, there is still plenty of other content. Its nice to see all these stories in one little book and it would be nice to get something else like this in the future.
I liked this so much, I immediately went out a bought a finalized copy of this book the day it came out. I have lost my page of individual reviews for each story but once I find it my full review will be available on my Goodreads.
This book was top tier as I expected it would be. I haven't read most of the books that these hereos are taken from so this was a good introduction to them.

As one can expect from Rick Riordan and RR presents books, these stories all had action, mystery, heart, and humor. I loved how easy it was to fall in love with these characters and their stories. I think you can especially appreciate these stories if you've read the respectful series. However, it was all still very enjoyable without reading most of them.

I particularly loved a couple that ended with a bit of a cliffhanger. They almost felt like they had been plucked from the middle of a book and I was aching to read more.

I wish I had time to dive into all of these series all at once, but this was good taste tester to begin. Overall, I'd 100% recommend this book if you're a fan of Riordan's books or have any read and enjoyed any of the Rick Riordan Presents.
I was excited about this book because of the author.  I could not, however, get through the first story and the kindle formatted book that I received doesn't have a table of contents or way to easily go to other stories.  I had hoped to read and review the book before it came out and every time I went back to it, I was still in the first story which, to me, did not get any better.  I hope to check the book out from the library in the future and read the other stories and at that time, I will post a review online.
It's so nice to see an anthology for middle grade readers with some of the greatest authors of our time.  Leave it to Rick Riordan to bring this amazing book into the world.
Uncle Rick,

We need a new and improved formula for your writing disciples to follow. The RR World and RR Presents sass is feeling really tired. And, when you read a bunch together back to back, the hijinks start to feel really rote.

Props for your new story, the only one I finished. I'm familiar with the hero and felt it was grungier and slightly different than your usual because this character didn't rely as much on the BFF (Grover) or female assist/her-in-her-own right (Annabel).
this book was fine and i enjoyed many of the stories, however having NOT read all of the books that the characters in these stories were from, some of the stories were harder to follow or not as engaging. while i realize that's likely mostly the fault of me as the reader for picking up a book about characters i might not know, i think that for some areas, a bit more introduction would've been helpful, since it is a lot of characters for the reader to know from different series
This is definitely one of his better book of stories. In this installment there are demons and ghosts and other supernatural and of course the heroes you read about in other stories. I thought it was intriguing and exciting.
First, a small pat on the back to myself for slowly but surely catching up on my reading backlog.

Second, a huge pat on the back to everyone involved with Rick Riordan Presents, an imprint that showcases fantastic middle-grade fiction based on world mythologies. The representation is gloriously diverse and fascinatingly educational. I love mythology myself, but when I was growing up the only stories really accessible to me were the standard Greco-Roman. Sure, there were some Norse, but nowhere near as well explained as Greek -- I'm still learning some of the Norse tales today! And as for the rest of the world's mythologies? Nearly inaccessible, up to and including my own.

But now we have RRP, which presents entire books out of mythologies world-wide (with slight modifications, ofc) for readers of all ages. Younger me would have read these non-stop. Older me is just so glad to be able to share these with my kids, and so grateful that young people have this kind of thing available in their lives.

As of this writing, there are almost two dozen RRP books in print, covering a vast array of the world's mythos. The Cursed Carnival And Other Calamities is essentially an introduction to several of those series, incorporating legends from almost all of the continents, giving readers a bite-sized idea of what the full books have to offer. The stories are overall very strong examples of fantasy/sci-fi writing for middle-grade, with perhaps my favorite being Yoon Ha Lee's The Initiation, which continues the very cool space story begun in <a href="https://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2020/07/01/dragon-pearl-by-yoon-ha-lee/">Dragon Pearl</a>, following Min and Jun as they're sent off to train as agents.

The Gum Baby Files by Kwame Mbalia took me a moment to get into (as I hadn't realized that Gum Baby was so small!) but was a really good, really relevant look at how West African mythology interacts with contemporary Black American issues and history. Roshani Chokshi's Beware The Grove Of True Love is a bittersweet introduction to the perils of adult romance. Gracie Kim's My Night At The Gifted Carnival, where a non-magical girl adopted into a magical family visits a fantastical carnival with her sister and runs into bigger trouble than ever anticipated, was also a favorite (tho even as a strong proponent of empathy, I disagreed with the amount of sympathy shown for the bad guy.) I also really enjoyed the way that certain characters from the first short story, Carlos Hernandez' Calamity Juice, made brief cameos in several of the subsequent.

Overall, this is a really great book to give to any young fantasy/sci-fi fan, or any mythology fan of any age, especially as it serves as a launchpad into exploring at least nine other already existing novels and series. And with holiday season upon us, books like these are the perfect gift for bibliophiles, young or old: great on their own, but also a perfect sampler of other amazing books to explore.

The Cursed Carnival And Other Calamities: New Stories About Mythic Heroes compiled by Rick Riordan was published September 28 2021 by Rick Riordan Presents and is available from all good booksellers, including <a href="https://bookshop.org/a/15382/9781368070836">Bookshop!</a>
These stories are definitely better if you've read the series they come from but were still enjoyable for the most part. Some were better than others. Some series seem more intriguing now than they used to be. It gives you a good sense of which stories and characters in the Rick Riordan presents line up you might enjoy and which to skip.