Cover Image: The Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities

The Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities

This was a fantastic anthology of short stories with well developed characters and vivid descriptions. It came at the perfect time, as we are just beginning a short story unit.
This collection was a beautiful mix of a bunch of my favorite authors coming together to make me feel like a kid again. I binged this book in one sitting, and loved every story included. I loved how the smallest things connected to the books they were from and how these short stories developed characters further. Despite being short stories, the stories were well-developed and were well rounded; the plot was, of course, fast paced, but the characters were also well-developed. I wish I could pick just one favorite, but I loved the all. I also enjoyed that I could understand stories even when I hadn't read the books they came from. I'm so honored to have gotten an arc of this absolutely phenomenal collection of stories.
So this book was not good. I didn't know it was a compilation of all the RR Presents author. I thought this was like a new series by RR, I have only read a couple of these authors, and the ones I didn't read took place in that book's world.
This was the first anthology I've read from there Riordan publishing house.

The variety of stories was fantastic. They were action packed with fantastic characters. Can't wait for the next one.
This is a collection of short stories from the authors that write under the Rick Riordan Presents label. If you haven't read their full-length books, there may be some spoilers in these short stories. The book also includes a story from Riordan rooted in Irish mythology. I loved all of the stories and currently have all of the books I haven't read by all of the authors on hold at my local library. I can't wait to read all of their books and return to the characters.
I have been a big fan of Rick Riordan and the imprint Rick Riordan presents which is shining a light on so many cultures and mythologies.  This collection of short stories dives back into the worlds we have been introduced to and even gives a glimpse into Riordan's newest world.  I know long time fans probably have liked to see short stories set in Riordan's other worlds too but the book already clocks in at nearly 500 pages (which is my one complaint - casual fans need not apply).

Overall a good read.
This book is going to be kind of difficult to give a review for since its an anthology of short stories from the mythological worlds of Rick Riordan Presents, but here goes.
The only two of the Rick Riordan Presents books I've read are Aru Shah and Sikander Aziz, but honestly, I was so glad to see them again. The whole book, you could consider, was essentially a lot like a "sampler"; the stories gave a taste of what each hero and their world is like and upon reading it, I've determined that there's quite a few series I need to get to. All of the heroes from Rick Riordan Presents made an an appearance and their stories seem to take place sometime after the first or second book. I will say, however, that it would be ever so helpful if the short stories had some sort of title or other note as to show what series it's related to because it was incredibly confusing at times, considering that I haven't read all of the books and the fact that some are in 1st person so we never even catch their first name, to determine what story belonged to which series. The only identification is the author, but that requires doing your own research, so it would be ever so useful to have some other identification. Rick Riordan's newest character from his Celtic mythology - based book also makes an appearance, so if you have been interested in reading any of the books affiliated with Rick Riordan Presents, I would recommend you to start with this.
What a ride!

While I haven’t read all of the Rick Riordan Presents stories, that didn’t not affect my enjoyment of this romp of an anthology one bit.

The stories are pure fun and feature totally cool kids and fascinating peeks into world mythology. This is perfect for the readers who prefer not to tackle a full-length book - all the adventure and excitement without the commitment.

Recommended.
I quite enjoyed The Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities!

As someone who’s read each book in the imprint so far as each came out, these short stories brought me back to worlds and characters I haven’t seen in a while.

All the short stories were entertaining, but three in particular stood out to me as extraordinarily well done: The Loneliest Demon (Sarwat Chadda), My Night at the Gifted Carnival (Graci Kim), and My Life as a Child Outlaw (Rick Riordan).

I’ve noticed that there isn’t a ton of information out regarding what each short story is about, so to give some very general outlines without spoiling anything:
1. Sal and Gabi go on an adventure filled with inter-dimensional unicorns and talking toilets that I have no other way to describe than pure fun
2. Aru Shah and her sisters learn a bit more about why love is a powerful and terrible emotion
3. Zane and Brooks face a fascinating monster the gods don’t want to discuss. (This one left me dying to find out more!)
4. Min attends a school session and finds herself in the middle of several harrowing training exercises
5. Gum Baby makes an appearance, and is hilarious as usual while fighting those who want us to forget history
6. Nizhoni and her friends spend the day at the All-Nations Assembly powwow, but something’s gone terribly wrong
7. Pao and Dante make another trip to the riverbank, chancla included of course
8. Sik encounters yet another demon, but the dread Rabisu might not be exactly what he expects. (Truly hilarious! My favorite of the stories)
9. Riley and Hattie get a prequel (the only one in the anthology!) at a magical carnival
10. Rick Riordan masterfully retells the childhood of a mythical Irish hero. It left me craving more and desperately hoping for a standalone. I’m reluctant to give much detail about this one, because even the main character’s name is a spoiler at this point! But it’s set in ancient Ireland and felt very much like a more fleshed-out version of a traditional myth or fairy tale.

I would highly recommend this anthology to those who have read and loved the standalone books from the same authors.

I would cautiously recommend this anthology to select readers who haven’t read the standalones. If you don’t want spoilers, be very careful in picking up this book. Most of these stories take place after the events of the standalone and will contain heavy spoilers. You can safely read the last two stories - those by Graci Kim and Rick Riordan.

But if you haven’t read any of the standalones and you’re not too worried about spoilers, there really is no better way to get an idea of which authors’ books you may be interested in trying out. There are so many books now in the Rick Riordan Presents imprint that it can be daunting to figure out which books you’re interested in reading, and this is a great way to do it.

Keep an eye out for dimension traveling unicorns, and enjoy!

I received a digital advance reader's copy in exchange for an honest review.

(Also posted on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4090142433)
I found this an interesting collection of stories but because I haven't read all of the original books and didn't like some of them I found the books to be confusing or boring at times. I would recommend this to people who loved all of the Rick Riordian presents books but overall I found this book okay, but nothing special.
Sal and Gabi! Aru Shah! Tristan Strong! Paola Santiago and MORE!!! This collection was tons of fun! I had a blast reuniting with all my favorite characters from Rick Riordan Presents as well as a few new ones! This collection is a must read for any RR fan! I would recommend having read at least some of the books that these characters are from. If you have read these stories you are in for a treat! It was so fun to read about some of my favorite characters in short adventures! The only problem is you're going to want more!
Disclaimer, I adore the stories from Rick Riordan Presents. I’ve read quite a lot of them, and most of the ones I haven’t read are on my TBR. This was an exciting compilation of these heroes, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I think something that I struggled with though was that for a couple of stories, I had no idea who the heroes were. This made the magic and the lore confusing, and hard to follow. This wasn’t the case for all the stories I didn’t know, but for a couple, I ended up skipping them.

All and all, I had a fun time reading this collection. I was introduced to some heroes I’m excited to read about. I got to follow heroes I know and love in exciting side adventures. This was well organized, and they stayed consistent with their worlds and stories.

Full blog review on November 5th, 2021.
The Rick Riordan Presents imprint has become a favorite of mine. How can it not? Rick Riordan, one of my all time favorite authors, started it. Bringing together a group of amazing authors, series, and mythologies. For a mythology geek and someone who loves to read fiction, this imprint could not be more perfect for me. Despite the fact that the stories are for a younger audience. But that doesn't mean someone older can't enjoy it. This book puts together a collection of stories from those who have been published in the imprint so far and it was great! For the series that have ended and getting spin offs, you get a look at our heroes in the aftermath before the next adventure begins. For a story that has just started, you get a prequel. Or even a story that is almost near the end, you get a story of an in between moment. All fantastic. Then you have Rick's story who brings a new story touching in Irish mythology. Something he has mentioned wanting to do a future series on. If you have loved all the books in the imprint so far, this is definitely a book to check out! I loved getting more of these characters, especially the ones whose stories may have ended. It's nice to see what kind of trouble they are getting into now. Loved the book!

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I received and ARC from Netgalley in return for an honest review of this book. Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities by Rick Riordan did not disappoint! In the introduction, Riordan states "This book offers ten doorways into adventure--ten stories that offer chills, thrills, and lots of laugh-out-loud moments from across the mythological spectrum," and boy did he deliver! It was wonderful to revisit some great characters from other Rick Riordan Presents books.  I am currently going to pick up the first books in the two series I had not read yet!

This would be a great way to get students to want to pick up one of the series by meeting the characters and going on an adventure with them. I was slightly disappointed that we didn't see Magnus, Lester, Annabeth, or any other of our favorites from Riordan, but the introduction of Demne made up for that! I am hoping for a whole series of the Celtic mythology and Demne!!!
The perfect sampler of everything the Rick Riordan Imprint has published to date (through mid-2021). If you're already a fan, this collection is well worth it. And if you're new to the imprint or any of the series, it's a great chance to get a taste of the various series and authors.
Obviously, this is incredibly diverse, and allows readers to enjoy a wide range of cultures, mythologies, and experiences.
My personal favs are Carlos Hernandez' Sal and Gabi, and Kwame Mbalia's Tristan Strong series, both represented here, but I've never read a bad story out of this imprint, and would recommend any and all of them. As such, this collection is excellent and thoroughly satisfying.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan is a middle grade series about modern demigods and Greek mythology that resonated with kids and adults alike since 2005. It was a series I was very familiar with growing up and to this day still love them as an adult. It was really exciting to see that Rick and Disney came together to make an imprint called Rick Riordan Presents, where other middle grade authors who have middle grade mythological stories like Percy Jackson but from other cultures and folklore could come together.

The Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities is an anthology with short stories featuring characters from the Rick Riordan Presents books (such as Aru Shah and Tristan Strong). Usually anthologies have pieces that are obviously better than others, but in this case I think they're all evenly good and interesting. I like that Rick's piece is a sneak peak from his new series coming out following Gaelic mythology. I also appreciate the pronunciation guide to the Irish names that follows. Any fan of the Rick Riordan presents books will love to see their favorite characters in bonus stories and coming together in one place.

My favorite thing about this is that Rick Riordan Presents books are becoming almost like the Marvel Universe where it's plausible that characters from these different stories can meet each other and work together, which started originally years ago when Annabeth Chase met the Kanes. I think if the Percy Jackson tv series is a success, it will open doors for the other stories to be adapted and for future crossovers.

Thank you to netgalley and Disney Hyperion for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
An absolute perfect addition to the Rick Riordan Presents cannon! Whether you've already read all the RRP books or haven't had the chance to pick them up yet, this anthology offers plenty of stories for readers to enjoy. I especially loved the stories by Roshani Chokshi, Kwame Mbalia, Graci Kim, and Rick Riordan. Definitely a great book to have on your shelf.
This was a cool anthology! I didn't read all of the stories, because I haven't read all of the Rick Riordan Presents books, but I did enjoy most of what I read in this. My favorite was Beware the Grove of True Love, because duh, I'm an Aru Shah stan.
As a avid fan of the Rick Riordan world, I was excited about a compilation that brings together stories from the ever-expanding selection of worldly tales. I was not disappointed. Even though I had not read all the new Rick Riordan presents, I was not completely lost or baffled with these short stories. While having read them would definitely deepen the understanding and connection, I was able to follow and understand each plot. For those I have read, it was delightful to dip back into the different worlds even for a small stint. Though, I must add that a flying unicorn from a storyline I have not read, showing up in all the subsequent stories was chuckle-inducing. The compilation ends with an intro short story into what I hope and assume is the new Rick Riordan series - one that I am eager to experience in due time. Overall, as a fan of the world mythologies being told in various ways, I was delighted with this compilation.
I loved this book! I've always liked Rick Riordan's and the Rick Riordan Presents authors' work, and this story was perfect. I loved reading about all the characters and revisiting the stories. I totally recommend this book to you!
It's perfect for readers ages 9-12.