Cover Image: The Scent of Lemon & Rosemary

The Scent of Lemon & Rosemary

Not overlooked on this but some good exercises. Decent starter homemade / natural ways of doing things. Around the home and to think of some broader issues.
As a fan of the often under-appreciated Hestia, I was thrilled to discover a book entirely dedicated to her and her inclusion in domestic witchcraft. With such excellent information and enjoyable “crafts,” everyone should be able to bring in Hestia and fun into their household.
An attractive, insightful journey into the practice of working with Hestia for home and hearth is explored in  Raechel Henderson's The Scent of Lemon & Rosemary.

This book focuses on working with Hestia, the goddess of home and the state of affairs. It's a well-organized, thoughtful guide exploring daily practices in each room of the house. Raechel Henderson's focus is refreshing. Focusing solely on working with Hestia, her writing flows through the home with craft and spell ideas suited to all manner of practitioners, even if you don't want to focus solely on Hestia.

Henderson's journey with the goddess is an intriguing aspect of the book, though the specificity of the work with Hestia does limit the audience. For those looking to form a path in the spiritual, this book is not a good place to start. Instead, it provides a more focused level of work on the home and the state of the world that could be ideal for someone looking to deepen their studies and practices of the magical.

Even so, there are helpful tidbits that cover ways to bring peace and tranquility to the home. Aside from the hand-in-hand workings with Hestia, much of what Henderson offers throughout the book could be modified to suit the needs of a witch who knows herself and her practice.

The Scent of Lemon & Rosemary is a delightful and helpful book for any witch to add to her library.
This books was an interesting journey into the practices of working with goddess Hestia and delving into her two domains; the home and the state of affairs.

It was refreshing to read a book focused solely on one goddess, especially one who's mythology is actually pretty limited. The author makes the most of her story and her elements and builds a lot of practices around it. Each part of the home is analyzed, with craft ideas and a lot of spells and practices offered for each space and part of our lives that it represents.

The book also touches the aspect of the state of affairs of the world we live in, focusing on the damage of capitalism, the issues of environmentalism and the traps of cultural appropriation. It is a good take away this need to be more aware of the origins of our practices and our believes.

While I would have loved to learn more in-depth insights that working for so long with a specific goddess bring, I liked the voice of the author and how wholesome her perspective is. In the end this is a very helpful book of approaching goddess Hestia and working with her energy, but more than that, a collection of helpful ideas on managing and bringing good energy to ones environment.
I enjoyed this marvelous book on the  Greek goddess  Hestia and practical magic for your home . The book has much history of Hestia and many receipes for each room of your house from protection to abundance. I particularly enjoyed the spells that are easily crafted from items you already have at home.  I enjoyed the lay out of the book and found it a pleasurable informative read.  Very well done to the author. This is a book to add to your magical library and refer to for Hearth witchery.

Thank you to Net Galley and to the publisher. My review opinions are my own,  Review cross posted.
Very informative book. Full of a lot of useful information. This book will also be very useful for future reference.
The Scent of Lemon & Rosemary is all about the deity Hestia and how to work with her in order to really make your home and surroundings better spaces to be in. The book centres on exercises, rituals and recipes, and use them to explain how Hestia works and how you can work alongside.

I liked the premise of the book as a sort of guide to getting to know Hestia and hearth magic, and I think that was also my “issue” with the book; that it was all about Hestia and Henderson’s personal relationship with the deity. It was an interesting read, but I think this is specifically more interesting if you are looking to work with Hestia rather than a everyday book for anyone who is meddling with the spiritual.

It has a nice build-up with facts, mythology and what each space in the house represents and how you can make those spaces better with some easy rituals and/or thought-patterns when making those rooms. All over, a nice book on Hestia and working with her, but not something I would have picked up to read if I were looking to work with other deities, or didn’t have any specific curiosity on hearth magic.
I have been curious as to the Greek Gods and their roles in the lives of he peoples that worshipped them, Hestia is one of the oldest and the phrase "first and last: relate to her powers and providence in the world of humankind.She is a Goddess of grounded living and a helper who will aid if asked in a proper way, More than that her example and the many activities and rituals in this book make her someone that is a positive model for good change. Plants and the kitchen are Hestias strong spot IMO. Using the simple and easily obtainable ingredients given a person can really live a life honoring Hestia and themselves too. Very well written and interesting as well as practical explanations of what and why.
Centered on the Greek goddess Hestia, this book at a slim 238 pages, is overflowing with ideas and information. There is a LOT here. It walks you through every room in your house and offers advice, activities, rituals, recipes and meditations to help you connect with your home. This book has a lot going for it and I was truly and unexpectedly impressed.
The contents, while heavily Wiccan influenced, avoid the. worst of the cultural appropriation usually so prevalent in Wicca writing. That trend is even discussed directly, Also, unlike most magick books you don't have to be pagan to benefit from it's content. Most of the recipes, rituals, and tips on how to organize and clean certain belongings could be used as meditations and mindfulness activities for those who are not pagan or Wiccan.
Further impressive aspects of the book involve the language, equipment and ingredients that are used. None are difficult to obtain or expensive. Most are things people are likely to already have. At no point does the elitist nature of many pagans come through in the text.
I have read lots of books of this genre and this is by far the most inclusive and most useful that I have ever read, I can't wait to order a print version for myself.
I was first drawn to this book because of the title -- Scent of Lemon & Rosemary (my fave chicken marinade), and I am a sucker for a good kitchen witchery book, and this one did not disappoint! As a hearth witch myself, I particularly loved the connection to the Greek goddess of home and hearth Hestia and mythos associated with her. I will be purchasing the hard copy of this book once it's released and will be recommending it to witchy friends! Thank you for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed learning about Hestia through this book. I didn't know a lot about her, aside what was mentioned in my Greek archaeology classes in university. And if we're being honest Zeus was always the center of attention there. The more I read about Hestia the more I found myself drawn to her. A goddess that is anticapitalism, pro social justice reform, and who supports asexual and aromantic people? Yes, please. However, if you're not that interested in Hestia or paganism in general, this book goes room by room providing recipes, crafts, and magical spells to keep your home clean, protected, and having great energy. Your home will thank you for some of the decluttering and cleaning practices laid out in this book.

Thank you to Llewellyn Publications and NetGalley for providing an eARC of this book, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
This particular book on Paganism spoke to me. I recently, like a month ago, discovered the term Hearth Witch and I finally found what I identified as. It would have been very convenient if this had came out when I first discovered Paganism. What can you do though? I'm glad that I found it now. I loved learning more about Hestia, the hearth goddess. The tips woven within are practical and easy. And also inexpensive. I find that a lot of books for beginners try to make you buy every single tool for every single use. This tells you the bare minimum you need and actually helps you declutter your living spaces. I'll be taking a lot of this into my craft especially Hestia. What a nice introduction to a goddess that speaks to me!
I really liked this little book. As a practicing kitchen/hearth witch, a lot of the practices discussed weren't new to me, but they were laid out well for beginners. Reading this felt like a gentle reminder for cleaning practices I had pushed to the back burner in my life. The history of Hestia and her connection to the practices was mostly new information to me, and I loved learning about her.
This book starts out explaining how Hestia is a goddess dedicated to anticapitalism, social justice reform, and supporting aromantic and asexual people -- count me in!  What a wonderfully refreshing and uplifting take on modern day paganism.  The ease with which the author connects with their deity, incorporates their worship and honoring into every day actions, and the general knowledge that is imparted in this book make it one to keep on your shelves.
This book is filled with recipes, crafts and magical spells to use in your home. The author begins the book with some information about Hestia that I just personally was not that interested in. She then goes through each room of the house and offers spells and craft ideas to improve your living space. I did like some of the craft ideas and recipes, but did not get much more from this book.
I was actually pretty excited about this book. Most of my witchery skills come from home-based magick and this seemed perfect. I'm not sure if it's just my friends, but Hestia (the goddess described throughout the book) is one that is fairly common in our circles because of our own personal beliefs so I don't feel like I learned much about her. Some, sure, but nothing mindblowing. In the end, this seemed like a partial cookbook, a partial "how-to" book for cleaning, and a partial "how-to" for magick. The entire thing was connected and also disconnected at the same time.

Thanks to #NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of #TheScentofLemonRosemary
“The Scent of Lemon & Rosemary” is a really nice book with background on a lesser-known goddess and great exercises, recipes, ritual, and more to connect with her. This is such a comforting book to read if you want to connect with the domestic sphere in a spiritual way. Highly recommended.

* I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. Thank you to NetGalley and Llewellyn.