Cover Image: The Sister-in-Law

The Sister-in-Law

Harper come home to discover her husband stabbed to death in an apparent suicide, according to the scathing letter he left her, telling his wife she is to blame for everything, even him taking his own life.  Because Harper is a stay-at-home mom and all their assets have been frozen with the investigation, she moves in with her brother, who has just quickly and secretly married a way younger woman, who Harper feels is only there to use her brother for all he has.

The story started out with a bang, but then whimpers through many chapters, with namely 2 unlovable characters who change chapter to chapter, Harper and her sister-in-law, Candace.  You never know which version you are getting today of either one of them.  Honestly, the only character who is genuine is Lane, Harper's brother and Candace's husband.

I enjoyed the premise of the book, but just felt it was sloppy in many ways.  Harper in one chapter talks about how she has lost her faith in God.  A couple chapters later, that ideal has been forgotten and she is a true believer.

Thank you Sam Glatt, Scene of the Crime, William Morrow for the free ebook.  In the end, it's still worth a read.
This book was a hot mess from beginning to end. The characters were hypocritical, whiny and pretty much just awful human beings. Not flawed, just awful. There didn’t seem to really be any plot at all, beyond sisters-in-law Harper and Candace hating each other. The story seems to meander from place to place – Harper’s husband dying, Candace being pregnant, Harper’s husband not being who she thought he was, Harper’s husband being exactly who she thought he was, Candace not being who the reader thought she was (or being exactly who the reader thought she was – because the more outlandish, the more likely it is to show up in this book), Harper suddenly having a fixation on a loss before her husband and hating her son, a blast from Harper’s past showing up, a murder investigation taking an unexpected turn, and a plot twist that you probably won’t see coming. This could be because by this point you either don’t care about this part of the storyline, or because, really, anything is plausible in this story. Frankly, it’s overkill and exhausting. Maybe if the characters were compelling it could overcome a story that veers off constantly into the latest drama the author has dreamed up, but they plot, snoop, blackmail, lie, tattle, undermine, fight and whine with no regrets. The most recent book that I couldn’t wait to be done with, and probably would have never finished if I hadn’t been reading it for review.
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of this book!  WOW toward the end!!!!  I did want to know how everything was going to unravel from the beginning and I love that!  But it still took me a little longer to get sucked in with this one, but I am glad I finally did!  I will be reading her other books for sure!  I recommend this one for those who like sister-in-law banter, family drama and trying to figure out who dun it!!!!  Thank you again to NetGalley!!
Welp, I hated this. It was a slog to get through and mainly because there wasn't a single likeable character. Harper was grating, Lane was a milquetoast, and Candace was completely off-putting. The only concept I liked was the different POV chapters as it allowed the audience to see how these different characters perceived the same situation or interaction. Unfortunately, that is not enough to make a good book. You have to be invested in the character's journeys, and I was not. I didn't care what happened to any of these people. Other issues: I guessed the twist once the description of the mistress was given, it has a very strange ending, and the writing was too simple. I wished for a little more complexity. I do not recommend.
This is a good thriller with characters I absolutely loathed at times, leading to a lower rating.

Harper comes home one night to find her husband dead from an apparent suicide. She calls her brother Lane in a panic, and he helps stage the scene so it looks like an interrupted robbery/murder. This is important to Harper, so she can collect his life insurance, which doesn't pay in the event of suicide.

However, several weeks later, Harper and her two kids still are waiting for the payout and for their accounts to be unfrozen, and so Harper decides it is best to move in with Lane for the time being. But Lane's new wife, Candace, isn't found of this idea at all. She wants Lane all to herself, and wants to spend her time getting ready for the baby she is expecting. This begins a war between the two women, with Lane stuck in the middle.

The story is told from the viewpoints of Harper, Lane and Candace, and this muddies the water quite a bit. One of the things that frustrated me the most was that often what the characters said or thought in those chapters didn't line up with how they acted and said in other chapters. Some of that can be explained by the fact that we may think one thing, but be spurred by anger to react in a different way, but there was still a lot of dissonance that made the story harder to read.

I also did not like these characters. Lane comes across as wishy washy, Harper as a Type-A control freak harpy, and Candace as a gold digging, possessive, user of people. While this got better by the end of the book, and the story explained why these characters were this way, I still didn't like them or understand their motives for certain actions.

There is a big twist at the end, of course, and then the book ends with a happily-ever-after ending that seems to sweep a lot under the rug. This isn't a bad book, but it wasn't my favorite, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to readers looking for a summer thriller.

Thanks to Netgalley for an advance copy of this book!
Pamela Crane did it again! I loved her last thriller and I loved this one too. All kinds of unreliable narrators and secrets and a somewhat ?!?!?! ending. Its five stars from me!
Thank you to the publisher, author, and Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for honest feedback. I think that this book was a great read. Some of the strengths of this book were the writing style/utilization of multiple POV for story telling. The plot/characterization is quite interesting in a thriller. It was one of those reads were you're not sure what to believe, who to follow. The twists were not overly predictable. Therefore, I would highly suggest this to thriller/suspense fans who want to add to their TBR a domestic thriller.
This book was a pretty good thriller that made picking a side difficult when you see things from both points of view. Who doesn’t love a bit of dysfunctional family drama? Actually I’ve been reading a lot of those lately. My first read by the author but won’t be my last.
This book was totally predictable and I couldn’t stand any of the characters which made it hard to get through.  Things were slow at times and I just didn’t love it.
The perfect who dun it thriller! Looking for a book with amazing characters and twist and turns coming out of everywhere? Read this beauty! I loved everything about TSL. It's can addictive read.
This book was gripping and it will have you wanting more!
There was a time many years ago, when me and my brother's wife did not get along, but it was nothing compared to Harper and Candace!  Granted my brother and I are no where near as close as Harper and Lane were.

I have to admit, I felt for Harper.  I really did.  Right from the first page, she really had a rough go of things with her husbands death and her basically having no skill set at all.  She is so use to depending on her brother Lane, that once Candace comes into the picture, its puts her over the edge.

However, I have to admit in some twisted way, I felt that Harper and Candance had a LOT in common.  I owuldn't say I liked them, but I did have some sympathy for them.

All in all this was a good read, with a lot of twists that I didn't see coming!

Thank you to #NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion
I’m freaking BLOWN AWAY by this book!!! This is everything I want from first person perspectives! And I LOVE getting that from three characters! Mostly told from the sisters-in-law, I didn’t know who to cheer for and who to boo! It changed with every chapter! And with every chapter, I got some of the best quotes! I loved the unraveling with the flashbacks and the WTF moments! I honestly didn’t know who to trust, who to love, who to hate, who to pity, who to trust, etc... Pamela Crane knocked it out of the ballpark with this masterpiece!!!
Twelve stars from me!!!
This is my first Pamela Crane book and I really loved it!

Usually I guess the plot in thrillers but with this one I was totally lost. When I finish it I was like OH YES WAS A HINT THERE AND THERE however I while I was reading I did not figure out what was going on.

All the characters were suspects for me.
Lane is having a hard time. His wife and his sister don't get along. What's worse, they are all under one roof. With the dysfunction in the family, something is bound to come undone. A story of family.
Horrible, terrible, awesomely good!!
Definitely recommended!
OMG!!
I highly recommend this book. I literally could not read fast enough. Everything this Genre should be and more!! I will now go back and read everything she has written.
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me the thrill of reading early.
I really liked how the book opened with such a grizzly scene, it really set the scene for the entire book. This was a very suspenseful read and I couldn't put it down (although it did lag a bit in the middle for me). Fans of domestic thrills will love this.
Ohhh my, my, my!!!  I just finished Pamela Crane’s latest novel The Sister-In-Law and my mind is STILL spinning!  Right from the very first page I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride reading this mystery/thriller!  Pamela Crane has masterfully crafted a storyline that will stump even the most skilled book sleuths!  The twists and turns have their own twists and turns, I can’t even count how many times my jaw dropped wide open reading this book!  The Sister-In-Law is a 5 star read that I highly recommend everyone read!  I think The Sister-In-Law would make fantastic book club selection, I could discuss this book for hours!
WOW, this opened with a gruesome scene, a few jaw dropping things happened in the next chapter which gob smacked me and suspicions/doubts surrounding the scene swirled inside my head. OMG, the stunt that was pulled out showed me the capability of these people, conversations ensued during this laced with humor, which was the last thing expected from this dire situation. Hints were dropped that shocking secrets waiting to be unraveled in the subsequent chapters.

I was beyond exhilarated on knowing if the first two chapters are this exciting, what’s coming next. I was so excited for the thrilling ride and flew through the pages with the urgent need to know all the juicy secrets and hidden skeletons.

After the death of her husband, Harper moves into her brother Lane’s house with two kids Elise and Jackson, much to the annoyance of Lane’s newly married wife Candace. These two women were unlikeable, selfish to the core. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea sums up Lane’s situation in the house. Candace decides to turf them out by making Harper’s life hell. This causes cat fights (some are downright silly and bitter), snide remarks, sly digs. Dialogues between them were sometimes funny, witty, observations shown in a different angle which made me appreciate them more. Some insights about social media ring true and resonated with me.

Like the saying apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, the kids are equally horrendous, creepy. I never thought I would use these words to describe kids.  Nevertheless, my heart went out for them on seeing how much they were struggling to come to terms with their father’s death and going through heartache, paranoia and grief.

I was vexed and couldn’t understand these two women, one minute they poured their hearts out to each other, and the next minute resorted to scheming and trying to outsmart each other. This rivalry could be trimmed a little as I felt the story was dragging, pace was slowed down and wanting to get to the reveals quickly. There was a lot of heartache in this, which dealt sensibly. Characters in this stand at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I felt sad for some and outraged, loathed some. I loved this story as it has made me go through the conflicting emotions.

I didn't guess the twist in the end as I was still seeing the world through my rose-tinted glasses and gullible to think that people wouldn’t stoop this low to achieve what they want.

Overall, I would highly recommend this gripping and riveting domestic thriller if you are looking for a compelling story.

Thanks to Netgalley and William Morrow Paperbacks for providing an advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Set aside a day for this book, because once you start it, you won't want to put it down!

The book was unforgettable for me, partly because I related so strongly Harper's character and her loss. Harper's been through a lot, holding back a secret that no one knows about, a secret that tore her marriage apart and ended up taking her husband's life (which the cops deemed a murder...and have yet to solve who killed him). This secret is so deeply buried that it created a schism between her and her kids, and it continues to fester and infect every part of her life. After losing her husband, Harper grew dependent on her brother Lane, which is why when Lane met Candace and had a whirlwind marriage, Harper couldn't accept it. Something was off about Candace, and Harper determined to find out...even at the expense of her brother's happiness.

Candace was another character that resonated with me. She's running away from her painful past, but when it starts catching up with her, it ends up putting Lane's life at risk, along with everything she's been working toward. She's an interesting person to get to know, full of passion...maybe a little too much sometimes in that it gets her into trouble. Again, I related to that part of her because sometimes we want something so much, something just out of reach and out of our control, that we'll do anything to get it. Candace was willing to do just that--anything.

Alternating between Candace and Harper's perspectives, with the occasional Lane chapter, this book had me guessing, weeping, laughing, on edge...it had everything I love in a gripping story. And that ending! I can see why Ms. Crane has become known for her twist endings, and this one was a shocker, and well crafted too.

The Sister-in-Law is a deep book that you really need to wade in emotionally, packed with disturbed characters, a mysterious death, and family drama that kept me engaged from the first gripping chapter until the very last word. 5 fabulous stars.
I absolutely love this book what a fast paced thriller.  The characters are Machiavellian along with the level of intrigue.  I highly recommend this book.