Cover Image: Her New Story

Her New Story

I received an ARC from Kensington Books of Laura Bradford new book, HER NEW STORY,  through NetGalley.  The book will be released August 31.

I am sorry to say that I had never read a book by Laura Bradford, but being an Amish fiction fan, I couldn’t resist giving it a try. Even after receiving the book, I wasn’t sure I was going to like it. Boy was I wrong. This was a fascinating story told by a gifted author.

Tess Baker Is a journalist who has been given the assignment to go to the Pennsylvania's Amish country and write about living in the past in a modern world.  Tess is everything but pleased about the assignment.

Tess’s writing has been effected by the fact that her husband and her best friend betrayed her and left her struggling to believe in herself.

Finally Tess gets to know the people of Blue Ball and starts to unwrap a possible betrayal.

Find out the effects of her findings in this 5-star book.

Thanks Kensington Books for allowing me to read Laura’s new book, HER NEW STORY.  All opinions are my own.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wonderful book. It was well written and I could really relate to the main character.
Tess is a writer, on a mission to win an award. After being betrayed by her husband and best friend, she is bitter, but focused on her job. When she is assigned to a month with an Amish family, she is less than excited. She keeps looking for an angle to tell something salacious about the Amish. What she finds is love, hope, acceptance and a new outlook. The author does a great job of inviting you into the story and making you feel the heroine's questions and fears. I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair review.
Oh, what a beautiful journey!
Tess  is a good journalist. And her good work will be rewarded. She'll be working on assignment for the next month. She'll be writing the best article for her magazine, from the most exciting place. But one thing will turn out different from what she originally through. And her life will take an unexpected journey.
Will she find the best story to write? Will she recognize the gold within the wheat?
Will Murph, her mentor, be proud of her, finally? Will she survive the labyrinth she got herself caught in?
This is a beautiful story, another one from Laura Bradford. I found her writing so full, so peaceful, and so introspective that I couldn't put this book down until the last page, wishing at the same time the end would be far away from the page I had my eyes on. Thankfulness is a word that comes to mind.
It's not the first book I read from this author and it will not be the last.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Laura Bradford knocked it out of the ball park with this winning novel. The story seemed so real with characters that leapt off the pages. I love that readers were updated on characters from past books in this series. Tess and Jack were new to the series with Tess being the main character. The point of story was the importance of forgiveness and learning to trust others again. I thought the book was entertaining , original and very well written.
Tess is a new reporter for a popular magazine located out of New York City. She has just been through a year of mentorship with the magazine's top award winning reporter Max Murphy.
Tess recently went through a heart breaking divorce after her best friend and husband betrayed her trust in the worst way. Now she awaits her first assignment with the magazine and hopes to put the past behind her . But the after effects of her betrayal in her personal life has effected the way she did her job. Instead of the big assignment she expected she is sent to Pennsylvania to write an article about the Amish. The last thing she wanted. What could she find to write about the Amish that readers would remember long after they read the article? Maybe something scandalous that people would discuss over coffee breaks. But what she finds is quite the opposite.
I recommend this book to readers of Amish Fiction and women's fiction. It is part of a series but can be read as a stand alone. Her New Story is to be released on August 31st of 2021.
I received a complimentary Arc copy from the publisher and author through Netgalley. Thank you! A favorable review was not requested. All opinions expressed here are my own
After being betrayed by her husband and best friend, journalist Tess is given the opportunity to visit Pennsylvania’s Amish country for a big story, but ends up learning about forgiveness, kindness and hope from the community. I usually read Laura Bradford, the author, mystery books, so this was a different read for me. I enjoyed the book and was given a copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher for my review and honest opinion.
Tess is having bad luck, lost her husband to her best friend, and now has  a job assignment in Amish country.  Not the most enjoyable book I have read by Laura Bradford.
I received an advanced copy from netgalley.
Despite the fact that this book was highly predictable and the writing average I found myself drawn to finishing this book.  Just the kind of book to read on a rainy day when one doesn't want to use any grey cells.
I really enjoyed the Amish setting and the message of friendship, kindness, and hope. It was very realistic, without being too sapply or too bitter. Perfect combo. I didn't know there were other books before this one, and while they aren't needed to read this one, I would like to rad them anyway, just because I enjoyed this one
I must be in the minority here because everyone else seems to love this book. I did not at all. It just annoyed me. I truly dislike Tess.
Tess Baker is still in the honeymoon phase of her marriage when she discovers her husband of six months is having an affair with her best friend.  In the ensuing year, she is so distracted by her grief over the betrayal that she has jeopardized her career as a journalist for magazine. She receives her long-awaited chance to go on location only to discover that her plum assignment has evaporated and she is given the option of going to Amish country in Pennsylvania or hitting the unemployment line. Reluctantly, Tess boards a bus to immerse herself in the Amish lifestyle by living with a young family on their farm.

Tess’ damaged self-worth and her shaken faith in her ability to trust color her interpretation of all the relationships she sees around her. Her bitterness and pain fuel her desire to write a story that uncovers some unsavory aspect of the Amish community, particularly any evidence of dishonesty and betrayal.

This is a story of redemption and healing although it takes the majority of the book to get there. Tess’ persistent negativity, while understandable, gets a bit tiresome after a while. I did enjoy the outcome in revealing a truth that had significant consequences, not only for Tess, but also in her ability to help others.

I enjoy novels about the Amish lifestyle and their philosophy. In our culture that is so dominated by speed, technology and disconnected or shallow relationships, it is a blessing to read about a more authentic way of living, even if it is out of touch for most of us. The author did a wonderful job of capturing the juxtaposition between Tess’ world view and the Amish way of life.

My thanks to the author, Kensington Books, and NetGalley for the privilege of reviewing a digital ARC in exchange for an independent, honest review.

This review is being posted immediately to my GoodReads account and will be posted on Amazon upon publication.
stars Kindle Copy from NetGalley and Kensington Books.

I received a free, advance copy of this book and this is my unbiased and voluntary review.

A journalist goes to Amish county on an assignment and finds her reprioritizing what is important in her life after her husband’s betrayal with her best friend.  In a sense she is trying to start over but the thought of being betrayed lingers.

She’ll have to come to a place where she might have to betray the people who showed her peace in order to write her next piece.  It is a charming look at choices.
I have read the other books in this series and I think I enjoyed this one the most. It was interesting to see the changes in Tess as she gradually became accustomed to her assignment in Amish country. From bitter to better, from angry to hopeful. I truly enjoyed this book!
I received an ARC from Kensington Books through NetGalley for an honest review.  This was a fascinating book about journalism.  Tess was a writer for a magazine, and after she found her husband and her best friend was having an affair, and she got divorced, she missed a big story where the competition scooped them.  She was at the park and the photo that the competition took showed her sitting on a bench at the event.  Her boss decided to give her one more chance and sent her to Pennsylvania and live with the Amish community for a month.  She wasn't happy about it but she went.
She wanted to write a juicy story that people would remember long after they had read it.  Tess was digging up dirt, thinking that is what people wanted to read. It seems like the news is based on sensationalism today which I don't like, and when she found some dirt on one of the older people living in the community she was thrilled.  I was disappointed.
There comes a time she has to choose what she wants to write, and her colleague didn't tell her what to do, but he said something that forced her to look at herself.  He said, she had gone from being betrayed to being a betrayer.  Enjoy the book, enjoy the people in the community, and enjoy all the wisdom, friendship, and inspiration, found in the story.  Wondering which way she will go will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Tess Baker has been crushed by two of the closest people in her life.  After catching her best friend and new husband together Tess has decided to throw herself into her journalism career and never trust anyone but herself again.  Unfortunately forgetting the betrayal is harder than she expects. After completely missing a big story, her dream of an exotic on location story assignment is dashed when she is sent to Amish country instead. Tess is determined to uncover a big story anyway, and when she thinks she may just have it Tess must decide if it is truly the story or if there is something more that she is missing.
Throughout the book you sympathize with Tess’s feelings of betrayal.  You understand her pain and bitterness, but you are completely rooting for her to find her way out of the darkness and to find happiness again.  The book gives you a window into the world of the Amish, and at first Tess’s viewpoints are similar to what most readers probably are thinking about the Amish way of life.  But just as Tess learns that there is so much more to their community than their restrictions, the reader also learns the same.  This book contains so many nuggets of wisdom about hope, peace, and true friendship.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Tess who is an investigative reporter was hoping for hoping to travel to some exotic place. Instead she is going to amish country in Pennsylvania. I enjoyed the different characters.
I received an advanced copy of, Her New Story, by Laura Bradford.  Tess is having bad luck, lost her husband to her best friend, and now has  a job assignment in Amish country.  I liked this book.