Cover Image: Whiplash

Whiplash

Thank you NetGalley, Janet Dailey and Kensington Books for the book Whiplash. This is my personal review.
Whiplash was a  wonderful book. Val had a life that was one she wanted but it led her down a path that she had to change. She came back to her family to get back to the way she wanted her life to be. Along the way back she had a dangerous situation and knew she needed to be with family.
By coming back to her family and the ranch she runs into Casey. Casey and Val have such a strong chemistry I could feel it as I was reading. They know they love each other but with the situation Val is in she wants to keep Casey safe and not involve him in any of it.
This is a romantic suspense book that is part of the Champion series. Whirlwind was the first in this series.
Whiplash by Janet Dailey is the second book in the series called The Champions.  The Champions are a family who raise bulls for bull riding.  Their parents are gone and each book highlights another member of the family finding their person.  The books are romantic suspense.

In this novel, Val Champion has returned home after trying to make it as an actress.  Her entire family is in Los Vegas for the PBR finals.  The best part is their bulls have the chance to be featured and make a name for the ranch, which the ranch desperately needs.  What Val has not shared with her family about her time away, may actually make the whole family in danger.  To top it off Casey Bozeman is there as well.  He was her first true love who she left suddenly and never explained why.  Her family wants her to be happy and think with Casey, she can be.  However, Val has too many secrets that will destroy Casey and her family.

Whiplash was an enjoyable read suspenseful novel with interesting characters.
Loved this book! I really enjoyed the characters and the story line! This book kept me entertained and I read it in a couple days!!! I highly recommend this book!!! Thank you so much for letting me review this book!
Janet Dailey knocked this one out if the park!  Excellent story, and characters.  I adore that it wasn't just another love story...it had action and suspense.
Janet Dailey passed away a while ago, so it's a little weird that we have a new release from her, though the copyright does shed some light on that.
Anyway, Whiplash is a romantic suspense that I liked. Both main characters were interesting and I liked the mystery/suspense elemento to it. However, it didn't really stand out.
3 stars
Valerie “Val” Champion has come home with so many secrets that she plans never to reveal to family or the man she’s been in love with all her life. She left home to become an actress leaving the love of her life hurt. A trip to Las Vegas and the Professional Bull Riding Championships will bring her secrets back into her life. Casey Bozeman thought he’d finally began to move on from the woman who left him behind. Working as a bullfighter in Las Vegas at the PBR championship. When he realizes that the woman he’s always loved is in danger, he vows that he’s going to protector whether she wants him to or not. These two people will have to face the past to come to terms in the present that just may give them a future they’ve always thought they wouldn’t have. Lies, secrets and danger will bring Valerie Champion and Casey Bozeman a Whiplash of emotions that just may tear them apart forever.

Janet Dailey continues her Champions series with Whiplash the story  of middle daughter Valerie (Val) Champion.  A woman who returns to her home on the family ranch trying to overcome her problems. A trip to Las Vegas with the family will bring up a long held dangerous secret and reconnecting with the love of her life. Casey Bozeman is a hero and saves bull riders for a living. He’s strong and courageous but when it comes to the woman he’s loved all his life he’ll do whatever it takes win her back and find out all her secrets. Lies, danger and secrets will be the catalyst for turning Champion families lives upside down. Val’s past will come into the present and follow her home.  Tension runs high when half truths are told. A woman show wants to keep her family safe will face her past from the danger that has followed her. Whiplash takes the reader into the lives of a small stock contractors who are hoping that they’re bulls to make their ranch into a profitable business and get them into the elite world of the PBR. Along the way they’ll have highs and lows with danger, secrets and lies being revealed. Just as they seem to resolve one problem another comes up that they must tackle. Whiplash gives the reader a look into the world of bull riding and that of the bull fighter as a backdrop of a suspenseful story of love lies and secrets. These unique determined characters work through old hurts. Janet Dailey writing shows you a very unique view of ranch life and behind the scenes into the professional bull riding and bullfighting. Dailey fans will love getting a deeper look into this unique family of ranchers and their journey through their fight to make it a profitable business and trying to bring themselves into the select world of PBR stock contractors. If you love Janet Dailey stories then this is a must read and if you’re a new reader to Janet Dailey then Whiplash is a great way to start along with the first book in the Champion series Whirlwind. I’m looking to reading the third and oldest sister’s book.
Whiplash is the second book in the Champion series, although I had not read first book I had no problem reading this book as a stand alone. The book is a Romantic Suspense, and overall a enjoyable read. It centers around rodeo's and bull riding, and centers around a group of sisters trying to save the family ranch by raising championship bulls. Val has returned home after years away, attempting to fulfill her dream growing up. Things never really happened as she envisioned and she ends up with the wrong type of people. What follows is a cat and mouse type of game, where she is desperate to stay alive and meets up with her first love. There is definitely hidden secrets in her past. I would recommend this book to others.

I received a ARC from NetGalley and Kensington Publishing, the opinions expressed here are my own.
It took a long time for me to read this book. There are multiple points of view and a lot of dialogue. I know the author passed away several years back so I'm not sure who wrote/edited/finished the work, but it lacks her usual spare style which I love. The main storyline also involves circumstances outside of my experience and I couldn't relate to them while I really enjoyed the secondary storyline.
I am not a bucking bulls fan.  However I really liked the book.  There is the whole rancher sister thing, the bulls, the rodeo, some romance and, oh no, the cartel.  The thriller is a good one.  Val is the middle sister and she is one hot mess.  Seems her decisions are all bad ones.  How she got involved in a crime family really was her biggest mistake.  And hearing a death threat put her in the wrong place.  Now they want her dead.  Fabulous story!
Val decides to come back home to put her past behind her but feels as if someone is following her. She sees her the man that she left behind years ago the man that loved and left without a word, she doesn't want to bump into him but it will be inevitable since he runs in the same crowd as her family. Casey sees Val and knows that he never stopped loving, yes he was angry when she left and he thought he got over her but one look at her and he knew he wanted her just like always and now knowing that she is in danger he will help her out. Val is not the same girl as when she left she has done many thing that she is not proud of, and has some things that she has kept from Casey and when he finds out he wont want anything to do with her, but will she get a chance to tell hi before danger shows up? Or will they get a second chance at love?
Thank you to Net Galley for the advanced copy of this book. It was a great sequel and held my interest from start to finish. I liked the strong women in this book, however the main male character really captured me. Casey had his heart broken by Val which he tried to move past and couldn't and their story of finding their way back to each other was great. I also continued to learn more about the world of rodeo and in particular bull riding. Not a sport for the faint of heart!!! I also enjoyed the suspense of the story with the bad guys trying to permanently shut Val up as she was a witness to way too many bad things. To see Val able to turn her life around and still be haunted by her past I am sure many people experience. This part of the story made you want to keep reading to see how things turned out. Both Whirlwind and Whiplash were great stories and well worth the read. They compliment each other and are worth the read!!
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

3.75 Hearts Janet Dailey has more books than I can believe and yet her stories are still as loved as ever.

In this story we meet Val and Casey and enjoy their second chance at true love. Val returns with some difficult situations in her wake. Casey is a PBR and the sparks fly when Val and Casey see each other again. But when they go to Vegas the trouble Val hoped to leave behind follows her.

First let me say I am against rodeos so I hated that aspect of the book and not sure if that is why it took me a little bit to get into the story. But I finally started enjoying the book when the suspense really started to get heated.

Dailey is one of my favorites but I want to say I am not exactly sure if this book is Dailey herself or a ghostwriter. She sadly passed almost a decade ago and while I have heard she had a lot of books that she had never published I am not sure if we have moved pass those to a new writer using her name.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Whiplash is the second book in Janet Dailey’s The Champions series. Val Champion has returned to the family fold leaving behind dreams of stardom and nightmares of drugs, alcohol, and being involved with very dangerous people. She is home to heal and bond with her sisters Tess and Lexie. When it is apparent how important it is to her family that she attend the PBR finals in Las Vegas she agrees to go in spite of the specters from her last time there.

While Val does her best to make excuses to stay in their room, she is coaxed to attend the events when their bulls are participating. Her reasons are twofold. She doesn’t want to be seen and recognized by those that might be hunting her and she doesn’t want to see the love of her life, the one she left behind, Casey Bozeman. Even so, both happen.

Casey is a protector. He protects bull riders by being a bullfighter and he protects people he loves regardless of whether or not he is asked. With the deep secrets Val carries she feels she deserves nothing good from anyone, and especially not Casey who she wronged so deeply.

This is an interesting story diving into the rodeo world as well as the underworld. With emotion and action this is a solid tale. I did enjoy this book and I do recommend it!
This is a Romantic Suspense, and this is the second book in the Champions series. I have to read and review the first book in this book series, and I really enjoyed the first book in this series. This book is all about Val Champion. I loved learning Val's back story. I also loved that some of the other characters in the first book is in this book, and I loved that this book has a more closer look at the bulls. This book is a great mixed of suspense and romance. I loved Val and Casey. This book is fast pace and pulled me into it so fast. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Kensington Publishing Corporation) or author (Janet Dailey) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
This is the second book in the series and I have not read the first book.  I do wish I would have read the first book but I did not realize this was a series.  I felt like I would  have liked Whiplash better with knowing more of the backstory of book one.
So lots of bull riding and rodeo information which was interesting to learn about.
Characters were engaging though not all were likeable.
Bit of mystery.
Bit of romance.
Bit of suspense.
To sum it up, Whiplash was a ok read for me.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Although this is the second book in a series, I did not read the first one, and I have very mixed feelings about this one.  I have enjoyed many of Janet Daily’s books over the years, but this book really dragged for me.  I felt like this book went into so many different directions with its storyline that I wasn’t sure was important.  There is the finals of the PBR, and then there is Val who sounds like a mess.  Casey features important to her but again I often felt like everything about this story was muddled.  It wasn’t until I got to the last quarter of the book, and maybe further than that, that i felt some interest in what was happening.  I must admit that I really had a hard time finishing this one.
Val Champion  has made many mistakes in her life,  and when she saw her one and only love, Casey, at the rodeo, her past and her future came together.  Val had secrets, and she stayed away from her family and friends, thinking she was protecting therm.
When she went home to the ranch, the family listened to what she told them, but decided they were family and would be there with her.  She tried to push Casey away, and she finally told him what she had done to him when she left.  When Val was convinced she was going to be killed, she sent an envelope to Casey with the facts of why she did what she did.  It was sad, and Casey had to decide what to do, and he decided to go to the ranch and be there for her.  When he finally arrived, it was a lot going on, and the author keeps us in suspense, with emotional highs and lows.  Sometimes people think they are doing the best thing for others, but others are thinking the wrong things, but eventually it all comes out, and we see how it will all turn out.
It is a page turner, about Val's life. Life isn't always easy, but you do have to follow it through.
It’s easy to get caught up in the bull riding and forget there’s an actual suspenseful story brewing. There’s a lot of details here about the bulls, which is interesting, but the story is lost in places. Tess runs a tight ship on the family ranch raising cows and bucking bulls for the rodeos. Lexie got her HEA and is currently pregnant and helping when she can.  Val has returned from nine years unsuccessfully chasing an acting career. She comes with loads of baggage and secrets. All of which haunt her while her sisters are working with the bulls. I just wanted her to be strong like her sisters, but I found her character strong sometimes and flighty the next. Definitely an entertaining read and worth reading the entire series. I’ve received my copy through Netgalley and written this review voluntarily.
Excellent  Rodeo Ranch Thriller
This was such an excellent thriller! The background is the PBR Finals in Las Vegas, a bucking bull ranch, and a family of cowboys. The plot is excellent and has plenty of twists and turns. I love it when a book goes in a much different direction than what I anticipated. This was a memorable book. I will be reading all of this author's books in the future. I received this ARC book for free from Net Galley and this is my honest review.
This is a book that has a lot of information about the rodeo and the hardships of living that life. While I enjoyed the book, I found it difficult to connect to Val. I wanted to sympathize with her, but it took so long to find out what all of her secrets were, it was hard to be all in with her. I also found it hard to remember who the book was about because there was so much to do with her sister.  Casey, on the other hand, stole my heart. He had a heart of gold and would do anything to protect those he loves.
  The intrigue of who was after Val and why was what kept me turning the pages. Finding out all of the reasons why she never came home and kept pushing Casey away (even though she led him on, in my opinion) was also worth reading. The culmination of this story was heart stopping and I wish Casey and Val would have had a more in depth conversation after everything that happened, but I was still satisfied. The epilogue has me wanting the next book to see what happens.
  I received an ARC in exchange for an honest, voluntary review.