Cover Image: An Amish Schoolroom

An Amish Schoolroom

I love Amish fiction and this book didn’t fail to disappoint.  A lot of love, twists, and surprises led to a satisfying end.
"An Amish Schoolroom" contains three stories about Amish teachers. Each story portrays the teaching experience of a different teacher. Each teacher is unique, in both her experience as an educator and in her own personal characteristics and background. Romance plays a key role in each story, although it is not the main focus in the stories.

Readers seek enjoy clean stories, without graphic violence or intimacy, and lacking strong language, will find these stories to be enjoyable. The stories also educate readers about the Amish beliefs and varied lifestyles.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
I'm a sucker for a good novella collection (especially when some of my favourite authors are involved!), so I jumped at the chance to read An Amish Schoolroom. And I'm glad I did.

Each novella in An Amish Schoolroom features the story of--you guessed it--a young Amish school teacher. Although the storylines tend to be rather predictable in Amish fiction, each tale in this collection is interesting and easy to read.

The first story, A Class for Laurel by Amy Clipston, tells the story of Laurel Weaver. Laurel has left her hometown to fill a teaching position in Colorado. When she begins to fall in love with the handsome Glen Troyer, her host family's son, everything starts to fall apart. I enjoyed seeing Laurel and Glen fight for what was important to them, despite the challenges they faced. This was an entertaining, although sometimes frustrating, novella.

A Lesson on Love by Kathleen Fuller brings us Priscilla Helmuth, former aspiring country artist returned to her Amish roots. After moving to small town Birch Creek to take a job as a schoolteacher, she meets Micah Wagler. Micah has also recently moved to town in an effort to put his past in the rearview mirror. Priscilla and Micah find an instant connection, but with Micah being a full decade younger than her, she can't see it ever going anywhere. I thought the main characters made a great pair, and enjoyed the strong faith aspect. Although, I definitely got some strong Love is Blind vibes (Jessica and Marc, anyone?) in some places, I still found the story enjoyable and easy to follow.

Finally, Wendy's Twenty Reasons by Shelley Shepard Grey wraps it all up. Wendy is just nineteen--too young for a teaching position in the eyes of many of the local church members. However, she is up for the challenge of finishing out the school year and has faith that she will succeed. Lewis Weaver, the son of the couple Wendy is boarding with, finds himself drawn to the new schoolteacher, despite the inward warnings to avoid a relationship with a boarder. Distrust, rumours, and disruptive children all serve to push Wendy closer to the brink until a freak snowstorm traps her and her students in the schoolhouse overnight. I really enjoyed this novella. I found myself rooting for Wendy to "win" and for Lewis and her to find love.

An Amish Schoolroom is a fun easy-to-read collection; perfect for a chilly afternoon. Each novella is short enough to read over a few hours, but doesn't leave the story feeling incomplete. Fans of Amish fiction will want to pick this one up.

*I received a complimentary copy of An Amish Schoolroom through the publisher and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. My positive review is not required.
Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller, and Shelley Shepard Gray are three dynamite authors are represented in one novel.  Each of the three novellas follow the story of three different teachers.  I really love how each of these authors develop their storylines.  Each has a unique way of writing.  A really fun collaboration of stories that helped to pass a quiet and rainy afternoon.  I received a copy through Netgalley.  A review was not required.
Beautiful and inspirational Christian romance book.
I have enjoyed reading many books by these authors so to see a novella collection with these authors writing together is a wonderful bonus.
These authors write clean wholesome romance that you can always enjoy without having to worry about the content.
The young ladies in this book are all newcomers to an area and while they are made to feel welcome by friends their age they are not looking for romance.
The ladies want to be the best possible teacher they can be for their students but do have some hardships to work through.
When the couples bond will they find their happily ever afters?
Hard to put down, I really enjoyed this book!

Pub Date 03 Aug 2021
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
A collection of three wonderful Amish stories to make your heart warm and fuzzy. Perfect for a fall getaway.

A Class for Laurel by Amy Clipston
Even though this story made me mad a lot of times I did enjoy seeing the representation that even Amish families can be jealous when a family member falls in love with someone they may not like at first. Change is hard for everyone and sometimes that fear clouds our judgment and can hurt others without us intending to.

A Lesson on Love by Kathleen Fuller
My favorite lines: " We all have paths to travel in life. Some are straighter than others, some more exciting. As long as God is with you during the journey, the rest doesn't matter."
I have to remind myself of something similar over the last several years as my son finds his way in life.

Wendy's Twenty Reasons by Shelley Shepard Gray
This story made me think about the things I wish I could change in my life and how all it has done is make me regret other things instead of looking at the blessings those times gave me.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Zondervan, through NetGalley. All opinions expressed above are entirely my own.
A charming book by wonderful authors! I enjoyed An Amish Schoolroom very much! Amy, Kathleen, and Shelley always know how to write great stories to lift your spirits.

Thank you NetGalley and Zondervan Fiction for this ARC!

This endearing book contains three endearing novellas about three new Amish teachers written by three popular authors of Amish fiction. Since these are shorter than a full novel, they don’t go into as much character depth as a longer story but do share rich experiences and explore new love. Some of the conversations come across as a bit stilted but the tales do have wonderful, believable characters in realistic situations. Wendy’s Twenty Reasons by Shelley Shepard Gray was my favorite in this collection, where a young teacher has to prove herself to the community. It’s heartwarming to witness the character growth in these stories. #AnAmishSchoolroom #NetGalley
Three really sweet Amish stories. All about an unmarried Amish woman coming to a new town to teach school.
Book 1: A Class for Laurel by Amy Clipston is about Laurel Weaver who has left her home and family in Pennsylvania to accept a teaching position in Colorado. She is staying with a family who happens to have a single son, Glen Troyer. She and Glen are becoming close. While his family cares for Laurel, they feel Glen will only get hurt as it's obvious she misses her family terribly. Also, she only came to Colorado temporarily. The family doesn't want Glen to leave and move to Pennsylvania. Will this relationship possibly lead to more? A must read to find out!
Book 2: A Lesson on Love by Kathleen Fuller is about Priscilla. Priscilla left her Amish life to head for the big lights of Nashville and try to make it as a country singer. Fifteen years later she realized she missed home and her faith. She returned and got a teaching position in Birch Creek. She purchased a small house that needs a lot of work. She met Micah when she went to the buggy shop to see about buying a used buggy, for she needs transportation. As you may guess, Priscilla and Micah begin to develop feelings for each other. But...Priscilla is 35 years old, and Micah is only 25. While the age difference means nothing to Micah, it does to Priscilla. Read to see if Priscilla comes around to Micah's way of thinking!
Book 3: Wendy's 20 Reasons by Shelley Shepard Gray. In this story, Wendy is only 19 years old. While she has been a helper in classrooms, this is her very first teaching position. She very much wants to prove herself to the school board and keep this position. She's been hired to finish out the school year when the previous teacher resigned.
She rents a room from the Weaver family who, just so happens to have a single son in the home.
Her job is a challenge as she has a couple students who make her job difficult. Also, there's a parent who is most unkind and quick to point out Wendy's shortcomings.
Wendy and Lewis are becoming close. What will happen if the school board decides to not let her stay? Is she to return home to her family feeling like a total failure? Read to find out!
I enjoyed all three of these stories. Each was delightful!
I was given an advanced ecopy by the publisher, Zondervan through Netgalley. I was not required to leave a positive review.
A Class for Laurel by Amy Clipston

Laurel is excited when she gets to Colorado. It was her first train ride and she was thrilled with all the new sights she had seen as she traveled from Pennsylvania. She is looking forward to being a teacher and the opportunity to teach in a new community.

Glen is taken with the new school teacher immediately. He is captivated by her zeal for life and the way she tells stories. The two become quick friends, but Laurel is homesick and misses her family.

This was a cute story. I loved Laurel's personality and the way she brought the story to life. While her relationship with Glen moved quickly, it felt natural with all the time they were able to spend together. There is a lot of sweetness in this story and nothing that I did not like.

A Lesson on Love by Kathleen Fuller

Priscilla left her dream of being a singer behind, fully recommitting herself to her Amish faith, and resurecting her old dream of being a teacher as she moves to Marigold, Ohio. She meets Micah when she stops in his shop to buy a used buggy from him. He promises to get it fixed up and can't stop thinking about Priscilla after she leaves his shop.

Priscilla is also smitten with Micah, but being ten years older than him, she tries to resist the attraction. They continue to spend time together and Micah continues to care for Priscilla more. Can he convince her that age is just a number? Or will she continue to push him away?

This is also a very cute, fast-paced story. There are a few things that unexpectedly come up, creating some drama and tension. Again, there was nothing I disliked about this story either.

Wendy's Twenty Reasons by Shelley Shephard Gray

Wendy is excited to be teaching her first real classroom, even if it is only for the last 3 months of school. However, she never realized how difficult it would be. Not just the job of teaching, but of dealing with parents, and everything else that goes on in the classroom.

Lewis has noticed the new tenant but feels that he should not get involved with her. However, she continues to impress him each night at dinner with the light and conversation that she brings to the dinner table shared with the other boarders.

When a co-worker of Lewis' expresses his feelings for Wendy, Lewis must come to a decision about how he feels about Wendy. Will he let his jealousy get the best of him? Or will he finally find the nerve to tell her how he feels?

This is another great story. The theme of teaching runs strongly through each story and each teacher has her share of difficulties, and opportunities for love. Wendy has a lot of work to do to prove herself and you can't help but root for her. This story has a heart-wrenching part, but also several tender parts. I enjoyed this story and the whole collection.

★★★★★/5

I would recommend the entire novella collection to anyone who enjoys Amish stories, especially those with a teachers heart. I happily give the entire collection 5/5 stars. I can't remember the last time I read an entire book in an afternoon.

Thank you to Net Galley and Zondervan for the opportunity to devour this book. I was not required to provide a positive review but am happy to do so. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.
An Amish Schoolroom is a collection of charming stories about young Amish teachers and their first experience at teaching. The novellas are by some of my favorite authors of Amish fiction, Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller, and Shelley Shephard Gray. The plots of each story move quickly as they each deal with different aspects of life. Laurel was homesick having moved far from home. Would she let this interfere with her new adventure? Priscilla with a broken dream from the past is having a difficult time with the age difference in her relationship with Micah. Would she let a dream from the past ruin her future?   Wendy is just a temporary teacher with hopes for a permanent position. Would a few spirited students and a meddlesome parent destroy that hope? The characters are endearing, realistic, and relatable. Each of the teachers had no intention of looking for romance but as the challenges arise there is a young man who can help and might just win an Amish maiden's heart. Readers who enjoy sweet Amish romance stories will not want to miss An Amish Schoolroom. I read a complimentary copy of the book from Netgalley and was not required to write a review. The opinions are my own.
3 amazing stories by 2 amazing authors. Humor, forgiveness, and a few tears when have the characters endearing to your heart. Each story pulls you in and you find yourself right along with them struggling.
'An Amish Schoolroom" is a collection of three novellas -short stories- each one was individually written by an author and those authors were Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller, and Shelly Shepherd Gray.  These were an excellent collection stories of teachers who all had a personal struggle to overcome mixed with a little bit of love.

I enjoyed all three novellas in this collection.  Each one was beautifully written by one of the authors.  I was able to gain understanding from the teachers in these stories as I am a school bus driver; I know how students can be and also know that not every day nor every school year is the same, but at the end of day  you love your students no matter what.

I look forward to reading materials written by Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller, and Shelly Shepard Gray in the future.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley, no monetary exchange, only agreement was that I write an honest review of my own words.  This is my review in my own words.
All of these authors are great!  There are 3 stories in this one book.  Each of them revolves around an amish school and its teachers.  The book is full of romance and won't disappoint.  I completely enjoyed each story.
3 Great Novellas

An Amish Schoolroom is a collaboration between Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller and Shelley Shepard Gray. Each story is about an Amish teacher's journey as an educator and her journey in love.  However, that's as far as the commonalities go.  The setting of each story is different, as is each teacher's journey in her work and in love. Although the stories are novellas, none of them felt rushed. Each author flawlessly told her story with just the right amount of details unfolding at a perfect pace. Each story drew me in right away, and each story's end left me with a smile on.my face.
The collaborative work of authors Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller and Shelley Shepard Gray has resulted in these three great novellas that you are sure to enjoy.

*****I received a complimentary copy of this book from Zondervan through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I love all three of these authors and what a great combination they make.  The stories are all about Amish teachers as they find their way and romance.  Each story is different but very enjoyable.  I hated when each story ended but anxious to go on to the next one.
An Amish Schoolroom contains three heartwarming novellas by Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller, and Shelley Shepard Gray.  Each Amish tale is about a woman whose desire to become a teacher is finally fulfilled.  As they embark on their new adventure, each lady meets a handsome, friendly man.  I liked that each story was set in a different Amish community.  We get a glimpse of what it is like to teach school in a one-room schoolhouse with students from six to fourteen.  I thought each of the stories were well-written with realistic characters and beautiful settings.  A Class for Laurel takes us to Monte Vista, Colorado where Laurel Weaver meets Glen Troyer.  They become friends, and then begin dating.  Glen’s family, though, worries that he will move away or get his heart broken.  Can love triumph?  This was such a sweet story.  I was drawn in right away.  I liked the characters especially Glen’s grandmother.  I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of Monte Vista, Colorado. It sounds like a beautiful area (the word imagery makes me want to visit).  The romance was sweet and progressed nicely.  I appreciated the epilogue that nicely wrapped up the story.  I hope we get to revisit this community again (hint, hint Amy Clipston).  A Lesson on Love by Kathleen Fuller has Priscilla Helmuth returning to the Amish after pursuing her dream in Nashville.  Priscilla is hired as the teacher in Marigold, Ohio.  When she goes to purchase a buggy, Priscilla meets buggy maker Micah Wagler.  There is an instant attraction between them, but Priscilla worries about their age difference.  A maedel in the community feels she has dibs on Micah which causes conflict.  Just when Micah and Priscilla become close, Priscilla receives some surprising news.  A Lesson on Love was an easy-to-read story.  I liked that there was an age difference between Micah and Priscilla.  It gives us something different along with Priscilla’s dream of being a country music singer.  This is a charming story.  Wendy’s Twenty Reasons by Shelley Shepard Gray has Wendy Schwartz realizing her dream of becoming a teacher.  Wendy intends to prove she can handle the job despite her young age.  It is proving difficult as her students miss their former teacher and a nosy mother questions her abilities.  Wendy finds her landlord’s son, Lewis to be friendly and helpful.  She enjoys spending time with him and finds herself wanting more than friendship.  Wendy does not want to pick between teaching and love.  If things do not improve at school, though, Wendy could find herself returning home and her teaching dream over.  This was an engaging story that was over far too soon.  It has good characters and a thought-out plot.  I liked the humor sprinkled throughout the story.  I like how it all came together.  I liked that we get to see things from the male and female perspective in each novella.  An Amish Schoolroom is a charming collection of stories.  They are great individually and work wonderfully together.  Each novella has special characters, a beautiful setting, unexpected love, and a pesky problem.  My favorite line came from A Class for Laurel which is, “With God all things are possible.”  An Amish Schoolroom is an irresistible trio of Amish tales that was the perfect way so spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.
I really love this story!  I love all the characters each author! I wad very greatful to have gotten this copy from netgalley!  I can not wait to read more!
This is a wonderful collection that will lift your spirit. All of that have wonderful characters and a sweet story of love. I received a free copy of this ebook from the publisher through Netgalley. This is my honest and voluntarily given review. I love how there is a small impediment that through faith and prayer they overcome. In one, a family is concerned that the homesick new teacher will pull their son away. In my favorite story, the new teacher doesn't trust her feelings for a younger man. In the last story, the new teacher, filling in the last two months of school, is concerned about keeping her position. I love how all the women taking a chance in accepting a new teaching position and don't expect to find love. I didn't want to put this collection down because all the stories helped me relax and gave me a hopeful feeling.
This is a set of three Amish romances by Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller and Shelley Shepard Gray.  Each story was fantastic.  The stories all revolve around Amish school teachers.  They have great stories and wonderful romance.  I did not want to put any of the stories down before finishing them.  I loved how each character meets and becomes friends and then falls in love.  I received a copy of this book from Amy Clipston fir a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.