Cover Image: The Vain

The Vain

This graphic novel wasn’t exactly what I expected it to be. I enjoyed some aspects of it, while others weren’t really my cup of tea.

First of all, I assumed that the story would take place in 1941, as is said in the synopsis. That wasn’t the case. Rather the story jumps throughout many different time periods. At first that didn’t bother me but then it started to feel as if we were spending too little time in each period. It made the story feel rushed and it didn’t feel like we had the time to really get to know the characters. I liked their interactions between each other, but there wasn’t that much that stood out to me in regards to them. Aside from the fact that we had lesbian vampires in this story, which is always great.

The Vain is a very gory graphic novel, so if that is something that bothers you I would recommend staying away from this one. I don’t have a strong opinion on the art in this graphic novel. I liked it well enough, but it’s by no means a favourite of mine. I think it served its purpose in telling the story. The story in itself was interesting and I enjoyed seeing where it would end up, though (as I already mentioned) the pace wasn’t the best. The story did loose me towards the end of it.

Overall, I had fun while reading The Vain but this isn’t a graphic novel that is going to stick with me, as it wasn’t that memorable to me.
3.5 Stars (I received an e-arc from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review)

This was one of the most interesting plotlines I have read in a graphic novel and has a beautiful art style. We follow a group of four vampires (two males and two females) who somehow get involved in espionage through World War 1 and 2. Another plot we follow is an FBI agent who is trying to figure out who the vampires are but not knowing they are vampires. It goes back and forth between the two plotlines over about 50 years and the ending definitely goes off with a bang.
I will round this one up to one and a half stars. The art style was okay but I couldn't get into the story, I wasn't invested or interested in what was going on. I felt like it jumped around a lot to the point where I was confused what was going on and where the characters were at in the book. Overall an alright read but only because I appreciated the drawings.

*Many thanks to the publisher for my free copy for review*
This was a mixed bag. I liked what the art style was going for but it wasn’t quite right. The faces and bodies feel a bit stiff, like they are not as expressive as they should be. I also had issues with the pacing and story. Once I got to the end of the story I could see what they were trying to do, but the whole time getting to the end felt jumpy. The story feels like it’s missing connective tissue to tie each scene together. And I could not force myself to care about these characters. There were certain frames that I really liked. It showed some cool horror elements that I would have liked to see more of. This comic shows promise. I think if they had more pages to be able to fully flesh out the story this would have been a better experience. (Goodreads)

link to youtube review: https://youtu.be/iF1khU4KbUk
I thoroughly enjoyed this graphic novel. It was a unique urban fantasy/horror set in 1940s Chicago that focuses on blood bank robbers that are actually vampires. As time passes, their ability to steal blood in large quantities becomes increasingly more difficult, and the agent that has been chasing them for so many years gets closer and closer to catching them. It's an interesting and unique take on the criminal heist trope.
This was not my favourite graphic novel. Although the artwork was very good, but the story was a bit too slow. This one was simply not for me.

I also found the font to be too small and difficult to decipher.
I really did not love this Graphic novel. It was confusing and the writings were very small. Hence difficult to read
This was not a favourite with me. The artwork was very good but the story was a bit to boring for me and I lost interest. I think this is a matter of taste. This one was simply not for me.
3.5 / 5 stars
all I need to say: Sapphic Vampires!
The storyline was very intriguing with diverse characters. The plot is twisted and well done. Easy and quick read.
The comic/graphic novel follows different perspective over a longer span of time. One perspective is a group of four vampires, trying their best to get blood for survival. The other follows an FBI Agent trying his best to convince others that vampires exist.
The only negative was that at one point the plot line for me personally lost me a bit. Might, however, not been the fault of the book but my reading comprehension
Recommended to read it in a physical/colour copy as the black-and-white made it at times a bit difficult to read (grey font)
Trigger Warning for gore, trauma, drug abuse.
‘Your mission is ... havoc.’

This is a late ARC review, and I do apologise! My attention span is spoonlike at the best of times. But I'm glad I've finally picked this one up.

The art in this graphic novel is freaking awesome, it must be said. The story begins in the 1940s with a robbery by the infamous Blood Bandits, a group of vampires. This sets off a game of cat and mouse between the investigators and the robbers that crosses the US just as WWII begins.

While I loved the art, I was a little less engaged with the storyline. But I think I'm just not in the right mood for this story right now, so I'm going to come back to it for a more focused read in future. It's definitely not badly written, but I ended up skimming it, which isn't a knock on the material at all, just a sign that I'm a total mood reader and need to return to this when I'm in the mood for a good historical graphic novel.
This looked promising, but ultimately, it ended up being a bit lacklustre. I'd say the most successful aspect of The Vain was the artwork, but even that wasn't enough to really create a pleasurable reading experience. Instead of rushing to see where the story goes, I found myself rushing to basically get it over with, and not even the heartfelt ending could elicit much of an emotional connection to any of the characters. You win some, you lose some, I guess.
Fun version of vampirism in a new era with characters that had some depth and brought in LGBTQ+ themes.
Full review to be posted soonish.

I would like to thank the publisher and netgalley for providing me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I would give this 2.5 stars if I could. It looks great and the illustrations give character and add depth to the text. However, I wanted and expected more from this story i.e. more gore and shocks. It didn't set up the characters well at the beginning and lacked tension throughout. I didn't learn anything new about vampires and the obsessive FBI agent didn't work for me. Despite being a satisfactory read I was disappointed.
I got this on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Honestly, I really liked this story. Love a good vampire story, love LGBT+ rep, love a heist story, and also love the idea of vampires being involved here and there in history, but also trying to stay secret. Tbh, I wish we had less of the FBI investigator, and that we got even more stories/situations from the vampire gang. I just found myself so disinterested whenever we followed the FBI investigator, and honestly considered skipping them several times. (Didn't tho). Otherwise really nice story, and liked the ending!
These thoughts will also be shared on my Youtube channel! Subscribe to my channel: Pam's Shenanigans!

Thank you, Netgalley, and to the publishers, for lending me the e-ARC for The Vain. This does not affect my review in any way and form.

The Vain tells the story of four blood-bank robbing and stylish vampires, just living the life of crime and money and somehow getting entangled with the war against the Nazis - all for their thirst for LITERAL blood. They've underestimated their enemy, an FBI agent who witnessed their killing of an important scientist and is on a mission to catch them.

It had so much potential to be a good comic series. What started strong has gone muddled starting at chapter 3. There were a LOT of time skips that weren't shelled out or explained well.

I really wish it wasn't a standalone graphic novel instead. The plot and the characters could've been developed more. What could've been easily a great Nazi-killing vampire story felt bland and trite instead.

Trigger/Content Warnings: gore, graphic mutilations
It was not what I was expecting definitely didn’t enjoy the story at all. I wish the story was more developed
I saw the cover art and read the summary and I thought a group of vampires in a horror comic sounded great. I was underwhelmed, which really made me sad. I wanted to be drawn in and really get hooked on this comic, but I felt the story was just, Okay. The artwork is great with the action and gore really well done. The colors are eye catching and the blood is bright, as it should be in a vampire story.

The beginning was really gripping with the robbery and the FBI agent trying to prove that The Vain exist. Somewhere around the middle, I grew bored. The plot felt stalled and slow and I lost interest. I'm almost ashamed to say, I didn't even finish the novel. However, I'm still rating it well enough because I know some vampire fans who would be excited to pick up the graphic novel.
This book is an eARC I'm reviewing for Netgalley :-( and sadly it didn't work for me.
I picked it up for several reasons - vampires, graphic novel, catchy cover art...

This plot starts out super engrossing like it'll draw you in. A group of rogue vampires are killing people and sucking them dry in the early 1900's. The detectives cannot fathom why blood banks are being robbed or why bodies are piling up in such mutilated states. Alas! The plot quickly derailed into undercover spies in the WWII to the Cuban streets where revolution was brewing, further to modern day Las Vegas and the drug dens... I just couldn't keep a track of what the story was trying to say. There was too much going on with the messaging - women's empowerment, lesbian vampires, mental health awareness, drug addiction...

Also, while I don't read a lot of graphic novels, I cannot critique the art which looked decent to me. It was the dialogue/text that seemed to move in parallel - one voice of the police detective, the others of the characters in the vignettes. This parallel narration threw me off quite a bit and made for a very jumpy reading experience. I had to constantly keep in mind who was now narrating.

All in all, I was disappointed with this one due to mismatch of expectations. Would say one can skip this.
Based on the reviews I've seen most persons who have reviewed this graphic novel doesn't like it that much. I on the other hand loved it. The style of the panels and the artwork was stunning. I enjoyed the story. I must admit the ending wasn't that much exciting but I still enjoyed it. I loved that the author added diverse characters that didn't feel like it was forced in there. The lqbt element, waiting to see the 2 vampires kiss at the end was great.