Cover Image: Good Girls Die First

Good Girls Die First

A creepy, entertaining read that had me curious as to who would try to get a group of teens to meet in an abandoned amusement park and why? Totally creepy vibes, right? An enjoyable read that I would recommend to others.
Excuse me!!! Who gave this book the right to be this good! I love a good thriller/mystery/murder situation and this book gave me all that! I was hooked right from the beginning and finished ready very quickly because I just needed to get to the end! This plot line has been a little over done but I think the author managed to make it work. Honestly I can’t say no to a thriller and I enjoyed it!
Good Girls Die First has the perfect blend of secrets, murder mystery, and a twinge of the paranormal.
Thanks to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for the digital galley of this book.

This book was the first one I chose for my solo pop up readathon a couple of weekends ago, and boy did it kick things off with a bang. Ten teenagers, each with a secret, are lured to an abandoned island that once served as a carnival near their town. It burned down years ago, but now they’ve all gathered for, what? A party? A competition? There can be only one, but one what? As they are picked off for their secrets, one by one, a sinister plot from an old entity emerges, and whatever it wants, it needs one of them.

I. Loved. This. Book. I read the 300+ pages in just about twenty-four hours. Though I was sold at abandoned, creepy carnival, once I got into it, I couldn’t stop. I had to know more about the island, its history, and if these characters would survive the old one’s twisted games.

It’s a roller coaster ride from start to finish. I definitely recommend it, and I recommend starting it when you can finish it pretty quickly, because you’re not going to want to put it down. Plus, how awesome is that cover?
What a fantastic YA novel! I can’t wait to add it to our bookshelf. Thanks for the opportunity to read it!
This book was terrible. Very rarely will I DNF a book. The writing was bad and the plot was tacky in the worst way.
I tried reading this book, but I couldn’t get my brain to get through the first couple chapters. I wish I enjoyed it, but the pace felt too slow for me to want to try. Maybe if I have a physical copy of the book, this might be better. I will try at a later date to read a physical copy.
I can definitely see myself buying a copy for my classroom library, but unfortunately it just wasn’t for me. I wasn’t completely invested in the characters or plot. Entertaining, just not my style
Unfortunately this one didn't work for me at all. I didn't like any of the characters. None of them were relatable or even really enjoyable to read. They all felt really one dimension. I wanted more depth and more of a focus on the characters arc. The plot sounded super interesting but the execution fell flat and went completely off the rails toward the end. This one just wasn't for me at all.
I started this story expecting it to be a YA thriller in line with the whole I know what you did last summer kinda thing, a group of teens who have bad secrets and are brought together to expose the horrific misdeed they did that caused someone's (alleged) death. Yeah, no, that was not this book at all. Instead this was most certainly a creepy, kinda scary horror story, where not a lot made sense and neither the main character or the reader knew what was going on.

This felt a lot like IT (the movie, I have not read the book). Sure the plot was a little different but the whole sinister vibe was very similar to the new IT movies, with the creep factor and the smiling, possible demon man showing up, the teenagers and agenda. The author was great at scary imagery and setting up scenes to give you goosebumps, so I would say the horror aspect was well done.

Overall the plot had too many holes for my liking. I had a hard time following along since things jumped around at times and made zero sense in general- but if you like unreliable narrators, here is your book because nobody was reliable. Also the ending was incredibly unsatisfying, there was zero resolution, it just basically ended, making me regret reading this standalone story to begin with. I am sure someone else will probably love this, but it was not a book for me.
I received an advanced copy from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.
I was very excited when I heard about this novel, it was presented and marketed as a mix between I Know What You Did Last Summer and the amazing book One Of Us Is Lying! Those do not fit the definition of how this novel is, and I mean that in the worse kind of way. I gave it two stars because I was actually able to finish it.

(SPOILER-ISH ALERT)

More like, clearly this author loves Stephen King (as I do) and just made a modern, less character building, re-telling and way worse re-telling of It. This novel felt like all the characters were on a weird acid trip and stuff was not adding up at all, not making sense. And to explain this phenomenon, the author says 'Whispers is messing with us' no, more it feels like you do not actually know how to write a cohesive novel. This novel was SO EASY to put down and I read multiple other books. The reason why I was willing to finish this is because my bestie and I both got it from Netgalley and were doing a buddy read, in addition to the fact that I wanted to finish the novels on my Reading shelf before the year ended. Just a big, boring disappointment with an even more outrageous and non-sensical ending.
The tag line was spot on, "Mind games. Murder. Mayhem. How far would you go to survive the night?" The novel follows multiple friends over the course of multiple nights as they try to stay alive and keep their secrets. The creepiness factor was definitely there. I mean I couldn't even read in bed at night cause I would freak myself out. With that being said the story line did get a little cockamamie towards the end - when Whispers, the evil bad guy in the mirrors, was able to manipulate inanimate objects to hurt them. I wouldn't use this novel as a piece in my curriculum, but I wiuld recommend it to my students. I definitely think it would hold their attention.
If you liked Stephen King’s It, and wonder what would happen if Pennywise got a bunch of teenagers on a deserted island, then this is the book for you.  I don’t think it’s quite at the level of King’s book, but it does make for an interesting read.  The character development got interesting at certain points but a horror novel doesn’t really lend itself to deep character development, I guess?  The setting was phenomenal and the descriptions brought the creepy, abandoned amusement park on an old pier to life.  I hadn’t realised, when I picked up the book, that there was a paranormal element to the book, and the ensuing confusion was kind of fun, quite honestly.  I wasn’t horrified as much as puzzled and on the edge of my seat, always wondering what was going on, who was going to die next and how.  I couldn’t put it down as it was an easy read—and as mentioned above, I am trying to make my Goodreads goal for this year!
WOW! This book was amazing!
There’s countless YA murder mysteries/Young detectives books on the shelves but I was pleasantly surprised to find this one felt fresh. I loved the premise of each person being lured to the island by the chain of secrets and enjoyed discovering their truths along the way. From the first few pages I instantly felt comfortable with the authors style of writing and found myself flying through chapters, being carried away with the frenzy of Whispers and lies. I loved the supernatural inclusion and felt it gave the classic mystery story a dark undertone. In fact some of the Language and scenes were almost adult in their tone and I felt the story felt richer for it. I loved the horror moments and the description of Whispers was disgusting and unsettling. He gave off strong Pennywise vibes especially with his lore and the description of his toothy maw!
I started off hating every character. I thought they were selfish, cruel and I couldn’t ever imagine how any of them had managed to stay friends before the island. This however, I feel was very much the authors intention. We are meant to think the worst of them and speculate what unforgivable crime they must of committed to warrant being entrapped on the island. By the end however I had warmed to many of them and was sad to see so many be killed.
My one and only criticism was the ending. I felt the later quarter of the book felt rushed. Whilst it helped to ramp up the tension, I desperately wanted to explore the 3 survivor dynamic for longer. It could of opened up the possibility for so many character moments and I wanted their secrets discussed in more depths. I wanted more reaction and discussion of how the secret revelations made them feel about each other. I was also disappointed in the open book ending. I am uncertain if this was done to tease a possible sequel but if not I would of liked abit more of a hint of Whispers fate. Did he get off the island, or did they “win” and he is now trapped again for another thousand years? Hopefully if there is a sequel we will find out!
In the mean time I throughly enjoyed this book and have high hopes for this author and what ever she writes next
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review. This was a book that's premise sounded interesting but in the end just wasn't for me. Ten teens lured to an abandoned carnival, each with their own secrets. It had a blackmail vibe to it which was fine but I just couldn't get into the story. I may try it again at another time and give it another chance.
Thank you to Netgalley, Kathryn Foxfield and the publisher for the chance to read and review this ARC in exchange for my honest opinions.

Good Girls Die First is an edgy and fast paced thriller that will leave you on the edge of your seat. It’s gripping and pulls you into the story from the first sentence. You think you know what’s coming, but you don’t. This was an amazing story, and I read it in a day. I highly recommend it to anyone!
It's very rare that I can't find something good to say about a book. People work hard, sometimes for years at a time, to put books together and publish them and send them out, and I never want to make light of that. And, of course, books are very subjective; I didn't enjoy this, but someone else might. I've deliberately not looked for other people's reviews before writing this one, so I could very well be in the minority.

Because I didn't enjoy this. It's confused, it's confusing, there are too many characters with not enough detail given about them, the narrator has no idea what's going on and thus neither do we - it's just not a fun read. I couldn't keep most of the characters straight, and we knew so little about them that I didn't really care when they started dying. I didn't understand the supernatural villian or what exactly he was doing or what his ultimate goal was.

I'm sure there are readers who loved this. I'm glad for them! I hope it does well. But it isn't remotely for me, I'm afraid.
This book was amazing and everything of the sort. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Since my students clamor for supernatural mysteries, I may purchase a copy of Good Girls Die First. That said, I was underwhelmed with the start of the book, the characters were really stereotypical and shallow, and I never got invested in the story. Great cover, though!
Creepily captivating, I really wanted all the answers but more importantly...I wanted all the secrets!

This is a supernatural horror that was very YA and entertaining in the plot line but also how the teenagers would respond to what was happening. This felt like a crossover with Supernatural, Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars. I couldn't put it down.

Ten teens get an invite to an abandoned (carnival) island under the pretense that whoever invited them knew their biggest, darkest secrets. Once there, they become stranded and here enter the supernatural events. Each becoming more confusing while also unraveling answers.

It is always entertaining when those telling the story become unreliable and question their own string of events. Memories here come and go and who is know if your thoughts are your own or if they came from Whispers.

If you like YA, horror or any of the shows mentioned above then give this one a shot!

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire, Kathryn Foxfield and NetGalley for the advanced review copy.