Cover Image: Star Wars The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower

Star Wars The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower

This story takes place in the midst of the events of The Rising Storm. We first meet Ram in an encounter with  Ty Yorrick and this story gives us the start of Ram's journey. I love everything about this story! Though it is aimed towards younger readers there is no watering down of the danger or threats Ram faces as he leaves his comfort zone to help save his city. Ram's companions for this journey are Lula and Zeen from the High Republic Adventures. Older does an amazing job giving us insight into Lula and Ram's internal thoughts as they confront their greatest fears in the face of the Nihil and another deadly force. A fantastic read with hints in the finale that we may be seeing Ram again soon!
My Take:

The Good… I have enjoyed the majority of this new point in the timeline. New characters and new adventures, but same rules (Jedi, dark side… The Galaxy!) I like this character Ram. He’s a Jedi who thinks he will easily slide into the mechanical aspects of shipbuilding, general repair, and lottsa droids, but when things are busted, he may have to take care of the bad guys who do the busting… A challenge, an uncomfortable situation.

The Bad: My big critique of this novel is amount of background knowledge needed to understand some of the plot points. I’d say that I’m pretty well versed in SW lore, but some of the assumptions made by the author needed a good deal of reach. I wonder how this will be viewed by a younger reader who hasn’t been exposed to as much of the SW universe.

The Ugly:

The Nihil. Ugly in a good way. It’s hard for the young idealistic Jedi to understand the motivations of these marauders. Steal and kill. Profit and purge.

Race to Crashpoint Tower is a middle-grade book that has good crossover appeal for an older audience if you want some gaps filled in in The High Republic story arc. Justina Ireland and others have done a great job in introducing us to this new time period and characters and Older does a good job with this book.

4 out of 5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley, Disney Publishing, and the author for a copy for review.
This wasn’t bad by any means. I thought it was a lot of fun. But it doesn’t carry the same emotional heft or maturity as Justina Ireland’s A Test of Courage or even the High Republic Adventures comics line by Daniel Jose Older. In places it felt like a good, rip roaring Star Wars story and in places it felt written down to its middle grade audience. And, like all good Star Wars, it has moments of genuine wisdom. It’s a mixed bag with more good than bad, but it’s still a mixed bag.
I love what Star Wars is doing with its High Republic series in having whole books be from the points of view of the Padawans. Race to Crashpoint Tower is made for young readers, but it was still a fun, quick read, adding more depth to the events of The Rising Storm and the Republic Fair.

But Race to Crashpoint Tower isn't just a story to bolster others, it's an exciting and heartfelt tale from the points of view of two key padawans of the High Republic - Ram Jomaram and Lula Talisola. And while the adult novel The Rising Storm drives the story forward with intense action and shocking cliffhangers, Race to Crashpoint Tower comes alive in its quieter moments. That's especially true when reading all the thoughts, hopes and dreams of Ram and Lula, whose stories weave together throughout the middle-grade novel. There are moments the padawans contemplate questions and worries that Star Wars fans have been thinking about for decades: what it means to be a Jedi and where their place is in the galaxy.

Daniel Jose Older treats these heavier topics with such care, making them engaging and essential to the storytelling as well as relatable to readers of all ages - not just middle-grade readers. The book still has plenty of action and is a quick, fun read. It's perfect for High Republic fans who want even more depth to the Republic Fair story, along with the hilarious and touching musings of padawans.
Daniel José Older's previous Star Wars work has not always been for me but he's clearly in his optimal element with Race to Crashpoint Tower. Weaving expertly in and out of the events of The Rising Storm in a way that Star Wars rarely pulls off outside of film tie-ins, Older makes the attack on the Republic Fair his own by featuring Ram Jomaram, a wonderfully-realized new Padawan character whose Force-powered technical expertise is refreshingly counterintuitive and the kind of thing I wish we saw more often from Jedi characters--especially in the High Republic era, where a lot of thought has clearly gone into creating a wide swath of individuals with their own experiences of the Force.

Older also brings in several supporting characters from his and Justina Ireland's earlier work, most prominently Lula Talisola. Given where Lula's story is in the most recent comics it was surprising to see Crashpoint not just utilize her but incorporate Zeen Mrala's arc while jumping significantly forward in time--I didn't mind it but I can imagine fans of the comic feeling somewhat "spoiled" to suddenly meet up with Lula and Zeen several months on and find out that nothing much has changed. By comparison, Vernestra Rwoh and Imri Cantaros are used with a much lighter touch, teeing up but not stepping on their upcoming feature roles in Out of the Shadows.

Older's humor is one of those things that isn't always my cup of tea but this was by far the most I've genuinely laughed at his work--all things considered I would prefer the Drengir didn't speak at all but his more comical approach to them certainly utilized the full potential of their Little Shop of Horrors vibe, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it. Another Older staple that continues to not work for me, though, is his insistence on writing out gibberish alien languages instead of, say, "Fezmix chattered angrily", which is almost always how characters like Chewbacca are handled in prose when not outright translated. Some Star Wars languages are certainly more plausible than others but in practice Older's tend to come across simply as funny noises, which might work on the screen but I think falls flat in prose. Thankfully there's not too much of it here, and the Bonbraks are fun enough generally that it didn't keep me from enjoying their appearances.

More in-depth coverage to come on Eleven-ThirtyEight upon the release of Out of the Shadows.
On this episode of Everything is Canon, Steve talks to Daniel José Older all about his latest Star Wars book and entry into wave two of The High Republic era, his excellent middle grade book, Race to Crashpoint Tower.

Part of the second wave of books from phase one of The High Republic era, Race to Crashpoint Tower is set just before the disastrous events of Cavan Scott’s The Rising Storm. Daniel’s book takes place mostly on the planet Valo and follows Jedi Padawan Ram Jomaram and a top to bottom fun cast composed mostly of younger characters to create not only an exciting, fast-paced adventure, but a genuine look at how these young Jedi and their friends deal with adversity, relationships, and danger.

We talk about dogs of course, some current hot-button issues in publishing, what exactly is a Star Wars architect, lots of The High Republic, Race to Crashpoint Tower, and much, much more.

For the full author interview, click the link below...

The second wave of The High Republic is here, kicking off with Race to Crashpoint Tower by Daniel José Older and The Rising Storm by Cavan Scott. Race to Crashpoint Tower, the follow-up to A Test of Courage by Justina Ireland, is geared toward a middle-grade audience (ages 8-12), but contains enough action to keep readers of all ages engaged. It also fits in nicely with The Rising Storm, as the events of both books take place concurrently.

Race to Crashpoint Tower takes place on the planet Valo as the Republic Fair is getting underway, celebrating the unity and strength of the Republic. Just about one year previously, the galaxy was reeling from ‘The Great Disaster’ and attacks from a mysterious group of vicious pirates known as the Nihil. Time and the apparent defeat of the Nihil has allowed the Republic to move on, and Chancellor Lina Soh hopes the Republic Fair will mark this new time of peace.

Crashpoint Tower follows Jedi Padawan Ram Jomaram, who should be helping prepare for the Republic Fair but instead is working on repairing a broken speeder, is notified by the droid V-18 of an issue at the communications tower that has tripped a security alert. As Ram decides to go investigate he soon discovers there are Nihil on Valo. Suddenly the situation has become more dire, and Ram knows he must get the comms up and running so Starlight Beacon can be alerted and help can be summoned.

Along the way, Ram is joined by the droid V-18, who gets an unusual upgrade, the diminutive and mechanically-inclined Bonbraks, and Jedi Padawan Lula Talisola and Force-sensitive Zeen Mrala, characters introduced in IDW’s The High Republic Adventures.

As if the Nihil presence on Valo wasn’t bad enough, soon Ram and his cohorts find out the Drengir — sentient and voracious plants (although I’m still not sure about plants as a threat, but suspension of disbelief really helps) — are also on Valo. Soon Ram and his friends must take on the Drengir threat while the Republic Fair is under attack by the Nihil.

Race to Crashpoint Tower is an exciting read and, and the title suggests, moves very fast. Which can be either good or bad, depending on how much time you like to spend with a story. Of course, adults have to keep in mind it’s written with a younger audience in mind so it’s meant to move at a quicker pace. Crashpoint Tower dovetails in a wonderful way with Cavan Scott’s The Rising Storm, which would be beneficial to have read first. (I didn’t and wish I had.) Since the stories take place simultaneously, and some characters do cross over between the two books, by reading both you’re getting a wider perspective of the events on Valo.

Author Daniel José Older has crafted a fun tale with Race to Crashpoint Tower, one with humor, peril, and a healthy dose of adventure.

Rating: 4/5

Thank you to Disney Lucasfilm Press for providing an uncorrected galley proof for review purposes.
I received a free eARC of this title from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The story was great. It was fast paced, entertaining, and the characters were relatable. The beginning was a little slow to start, but picked up about 25% in. I think my only critique is all the talk of a hyperdrive or hyperspace incident. I’m not sure if this is something covered in a different book or if it is just establishing the timeline for future books.

The main characters are young which makes it relatable to kids. Any child who likes Star Wars will find this book entertaining.

Any kid who loves the Star Wars universe will love this book.
Welcome back to The High Republic! In Daniel José Older’s latest book we get all kinds of adventures and excitement that a Jedi may or may not crave! Like most younger reader books, the story is fast paced and action packed and (as Older promised) dinosaur filled! The new characters are dimensional and original which again, is something Older is great at. Original characters and storytelling!

While this book is the shortest of the second wave of the first phase… or something… the book is packed full of Star Wars spirit, energy, and wackiness!

And I love it.

Daniel José Older is one of my FAVORITE authors because of his ability to give us such original characters! It’s so refreshing to see something unique in these timeless tales and that strength is definitely here in this book!

This is a must-read for any High Republic fan of course, but I’d also add in the readers who stand outside of the norm. Ram is a Jedi who is different from all the other Jedi and watching him find his strength in that is powerful and empowering. Watching these young ones rise to the challenges before them is masterfully done and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for them. So kick back in your garage with your Bonbrak homies and check it out!

Did I mention there’s a flying dinosaur?
Race to Crashpoint Tower was a fun, fast-paced book to read that I think young audiences will enjoy. Although, the book was an incredibly fast read, and I think it was too short to fit everything in 200 or so pages. At times I felt as if the writing was all over the place and like Older was trying to fit all these ideas in a limited amount of space, which was a little overwhelming to read. Younger audiences, especially towards the younger end of the age range, probably won’t be looking for the same aspects I’m looking for when approaching a book, so with this in consideration, I this book is definitely meant for its targeted age group. Not to say that adults can’t or won’t enjoy, just that I’d recommend leaving this installment for the younglings.
The Review was published as part of a special that included a review for the Rising Storm

Junge Helden: Race to Crashpoint Tower
Zeitgleich mit The Rising Storm erscheint heute zudem Race to Crashpoint Tower von Daniel José Older, das erste Junior-Buch der High Republic-Ära. Die Geschichte spielt parallel zu den Ereignissen von The Rising Storm und folgt Padawan Ram Jomaram, der mithilfe seiner Freunde ein Abenteuer startet, um die von den Nihil lahmgelegte Kommunikation Valos wiederherzustellen. Das Buch legt einen gänzlich anderen, passend kindgerechten Tonfall an den Tag und fügt sich direkt in die Ereignisse von The Rising Storm ein, ein paar überschneidende Szenen inklusive.

Neben Ram folgt Race To Crashpoint Tower in Nebensträngen auch den Charakteren Lula Talisola und Zeen Mrala aus der ebenfalls von Older geschriebenen Comicserie High Republic Adventures – sowie Vernestra Rwoh, einer jungen Jedi, die Leser von Phase 1 bereits aus A Test of Courage kennen werden. Vor allem in diesen Nebenhandlungsträngen dreht sich wiederum alles um Einblicke in die Philosophie der Jedi, während Dinge wie der Grundsatz, dass Jedi keine Bindungen eingehen dürfen, oder Eifersucht und Selbstzweifel erforscht werden.

Der größte Kritikpunkt an dem Buch ist, dass sich die Story stark an die Ereignisse von The Rising Storm sowie High Republic Adventures anlehnt, die nicht speziell für junge Leser geschrieben sind. Das Buch ist somit für erwachsene Leser eine nette Nebenstory, funktioniert als selbständiges Kinderbuch in der Ära aber nur bedingt.
The children’s book in this phase of the High Republic is a fun read no matter what your age. Older’s humor actually made me laugh out loud, something that doesn’t happen often when I’m reading.

This book is set during the events of the Rising Storm and gives more points of views of the time. It is a perfect companion to the adult novel. The two main characters Jedi Padawans Ram Jomaram and Lula Talisola are so human and relatable.

Don’t let the reading age deter you, this is an enjoyable book for everyone.
Race to Crashpoint Tower by Daniel Jose Older is a fun, quick pace middle grade adventure. It follows Ram, a padawan who has a good sense of machinery. He lives on Valo, which is the centre stage for our second wave of High Republic novels. I love that this wave involves a Republic Fair, reminiscent of a World's Fair. Pairing the innovation of a World's Fair with the "golden" age of the jedi is ingenious.

Older has always had a good grasp on pacing in his past novels, and Race to Crashpoint tower never lulls. There's a good balance between world building and character building. It's not the most original story, but it's executed well. I would definitely recommend this for younger readers.
Star Wars The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower is an awesome story full of action, adventure, good one liners, funny droids, Jedi, characters who have self doubt who grow to overcome those fears and more.  I loved reading this book.  It's a fast read that's full of intense action sequences that would translate so well into a film if this book was ever adapted into a cartoon or a movie.

The opening scroll of this book should have began with the word, CHAOS!  Similar to how the Revenge of the Sith opening scroll began with the word, WAR!  The battle that ensues at the end of this great Star wars The High Republic novel is pure chaos.  There is a several chapters long battle between the Nihil, the Jedi, and a new villain the Drengir.  This epic battle is beautifully written and has so many twists, turns, and problems to solve.

The story is told from the points of view of several characters including the young Padawans Lula Talisola from IDW's Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures comics and Ram Jomaram.  The friendship and bond that is growing between Lula Talisola and Zeen is something we see throughout the story.  If you want to see more of their adventures please make sure you pickup the awesome Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures comics by IDW.

Ram Jomaram is a reluctant Jedi and hero.  At the start of Star Wars The High Republic Race to Crashpoint Tower he doesn't want to be a part of this growing conflict between the Nihil and the Jedi.  Ram would be happy just tinkering with spare parts in a garage.  As the story progresses we get to see him grow into a hero and a more confident Padawan.   Ram Jomaram also has some very entertaining sidekicks, the Bonbraks and his droid V-18.  This is Star Wars so this quirky droid and the Bokbraks have some of the best lines in the entire book.

Vernestra Rwoh is also in this book.  She is quickly becoming my favorite Jedi in the High Republic era.  She has appeared in several of the the Star Wars The High Republic books.  She keeps growing and becomes more confident as a young Jedi Knight.  She even takes on a mentor role to Lula and Zeen which I enjoyed reading because all three characters learn from each other.

The new villain in this story is the Drengir.  I won't say anything about them other than they are awesome.  If you are a G.I. Joe fan and remember the monster at Castle Destro, I think there is a lot of similarities between that monster and the Drengir, except the Drengir has a lot more personality.

In short I high recommend reading Star Wars The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower. It’s an awesome book.

Trust in the Force.

Stay awesome and keep reading!
The High Republic is back and packed full of laughs, adventure, and an unforgettable coming-of-age story to kick off a new wave of stories. Race to Crashpoint Tower is Daniel José Older’s first time dabbling in Star Wars's middle-grade genre, and he does not miss by any means. This next set of High Republic stories focuses on the Republic Fair, revered as a symbol of unity, on the planet Valo; but when things can go wrong in a galaxy full of dangerous adversaries, they will go wrong. I have a bad feeling about this, indeed.

You'll be introduced to Ram Jomaram, a mechanical-minded Jedi Padawan who finds comfort in understanding what makes things tick and how he can improve them — this is best depicted with his hilariously witty droid V-18, who will definitely steal the hearts and minds of anyone who picks up this book. Race to Crashpoint Tower also has the best Star Wars ingredients baked into it when it comes to the traditional hero's journey. Ram's mission ultimately comes down to how easily he can break out of his comfort zone, which readers of any age can relate to.

What I appreciate most about Race to Crashpoint Tower is how easily Older integrates his The High Republic Adventures comic storyline featuring Lula Talisola, who appears alongside Ram on the cover. It's a testament to both the ambition and confidence of the High Republic team to weave all these stories together without fault and make the journey as a reader feel worthwhile and necessary.

Race to Crashpoint Tower is an excellent way to kick off your newest reading adventures in the High Republic. It's a perfectly timed pick-me-up story with lots of drama, some thought-provoking ideas about what it means to be a Jedi, and authentic characters that you understand inside and out. Plus, it will leave you hurting from laughter. What more can you ask from a Star Wars book?
Race to Crashpoint Tower is a fantastic addition to the Star Wars: The High Republic world! I loved this fun adventure, and I can't wait for more!
Jedi Ram Jomaram discovers a secret plot in the lead up to the illustrious and galaxy-spanning Republic Fair! As he races to solve the latest problem, other Jedi discover an even deeper threat. Read Chris's review of Race to Crashpoint Tower!

If you're anything like me, you might not know what exactly to expect from this book. From the sample chapter, and from my desire to not read excerpts out of context, I only expected this book to follow the adventures of young Jedi Ram Jomaram, a mechanic on Valo. Well, Ram and his alien sidekicks and his droid, at least. Turns out, the book has a lot more going for it than that, including a starring role for some other fun Jedi!

In terms of Ram alone, I found him to be a lot of fun. He's a unique type of Jedi - one that we're seeing more of in the era - in that his focus as a Jedi is not on adventures or on fighting. Instead, Ram is a mechanic who would prefer to spend most of his time in his garage, fixing things instead of taking things apart. He also carries the moral lesson of the book when duty calls and he's forced into the field to stop the Nihil's machinations in a different part of the Republic Fair.

He's joined by a side cast that really makes this type of book a young readers book with V-18 and the Bonbraks. V-18 is an obstinate droid, somewhere in the middle of C-3PO's worst tendencies toward protocol and HK's lip. The Bonbraks are a fun little species of sentient mechanics who also join in the fun, their humor a bit more slapstick than the rest of the book. Thankfully, Older knows when to put some characters in the lead and move some to the side when the tone calls for it. This is one of my biggest concern with the books for a younger audience, where comic relief characters serve as distractions from the growing action and sometimes throw off the tone. (Trust me - the tone of the climax is extraordinarily dark, and even in a younger readers' book, Older respects this.)

But maybe more excitingly, sorry Ram, is the second group of characters that join him, as revealed by the excerpts: Lula Talisola and Zeen Mrala from The High Republic: Adventures with Vernestra Rwoh from the first wave! These characters do, as you might imagine, completely steal the show. It might be that Older is the author of the IDW series, so we see the continuity for the characters from the comic series carry into this book, coupled with the fact that they get some of the more interesting stories in the book. For example, a conversation between Lula and Vern at about the half-way point will probably be one of the highlights of this wave, if not of the entire series. I think Older knows that these are the characters we already know, rightfully spending more time developing them than Ram. (Though I can't wait to see Ram again!)

The characters make this book worthwhile as is. This is good, because I had a bit of a hard time connecting with the story. The biggest reason? We start right at the beginning of Ram's story, so all that we know of him is learned "on the field", so to speak. It's also clearly heavily dependent on The Rising Storm, to an extent that I'd say the novel is required reading before this book. Lula and Zeen's story follows up on the comic series, but that story is dropped when the events at Valo start to explode. Literally. This, in my mind, makes the book a perfect companion book to The Rising Storm, but hard to sell as a standalone novel.

One minor thing, in a way, that I want to highlight with this novel is how great it is to have illustrations. A purely non-film/TV driven series is in need of visual depictions, and I was happy to see illustrations of the Jedi, Veen, and some of the wild animals that we meet in the story. (As a friend showed me the illustration of the [hydra elephant], which I so wish I had before reading the books! It is a spoiler, though, so don't open right to it!)

All in all, as a companion to The Rising Storm, Race to Crashpoint Tower is a fun side adventure, one that comes strongly recommended. If anything else, you get to spend some time with wonderful characters like Ram, Lula, Zeen, and Vernestra.

(Review will be posted at mynockmanor.com, and linked on both chriswerms.wordpress.com and emailed from my newsletter at chriswerms.substack.com, on 6/29)
Welcome back to a Galaxy Far, Far Away. The Star Wars universe has been teeming with new tales as the High Republic era finds its footing across a vast collection of storytelling mediums. The High Republic, set about 200 years before the Skywalker Saga, is a generally peaceful moment in time. The Galaxy we’re familiar with later in the Star Wars timeline is less settled at this point, but the Republic & the Jedi are committed to peace; even in the unchecked Outer Rim.

Race to Crashpoint Tower is a Junior novel whose events proceed plot points established in the previously published adult novel, Light of the Jedi, and includes characters and plot from The High Republic Adventures comics. This is starting to sound a little complicated, however, the masterminds behind the High Republic era are generous with exposition. While much needed to be explained in Race to Crashpoint Tower to make sure the reader had the most up-to-date information, it never felt too heavy-handed or redundant.

This fast-paced, character-driven adventure opens on the planet Valo, where a giant festival is set to begin. We meet Jedi Padawan Ram Jomaram in his favorite place; the garage. There’s nothing Ram loves more than using The Force to take something apart and put it back together again. He’s elbow deep in ripping apart a speeder when droid V-18 interrupts him. The security alarm on Crashpoint Peak has been tripped, and V-18 can’t find anyone else to help investigate. Ram’s not sure if the security breach is an error, or the work of the Nihil, the resident baddies of the High Republic era. This investigation gets the story moving, and Ram, V-18, and a few friends from past High Republic works, have to band together to not only protect the peace of the festival, but the whole planet of Valo.

While I am not the intended age demographic for Race to Crashpoint Tower, I found the characters and story to be interesting and engaging regardless. Any Star Wars fan and High Republic reader will find something to enjoy in this compact (compared to the adult novels) adventure. Race to Crashpoint Tower is set for release on June 29th, 2021, the same day as the second adult novel, The Rising Storm debuts. Both books will feature events that overlap in The High Republic timeline. Don’t worry, GateCrashers has you covered; you can read our spoiler-free review of The Rising Storm here. And with that, my fellow Star Wars-lover, remember to board your nearest Jedi Vector ship on June 29th and make the jump to your local bookstore to purchase both of these new High Republic novels.
The second wave of The High Republic books continues with Race to Crashpoint Tower by Daniel José Older—an amazing adventure featuring Padawan Ram Jomaram on a race to restore Valo’s communications tower during a frightening attack by the Nihil during the Republic Fair. Along this challenging journey, Ram is joined by his trusty droid V-18, a pair of adorable Bonbraks, and the two protagonists from The High Republic Adventures comic series: Lula Talisola and Zeen Mrala.

Author Daniel José Older truly knows how to write fun Star Wars stories—especially when targeted for kids. Each character in Race to Crashpoint Tower is beautifully portrayed in all their youthness—from the need to achieve self confidence to the worries of attachment that is frowned upon among the Jedi. Ram Jomaram is not the typical Padawan; his connection to the Force is with machines more so than organics. That is why he would rather spend time in a dingy garage filled with mechanical parts and tools than out there socializing with the galaxy. It is an interesting take on a Jedi character, which is very reminiscent of young Anakin Skywalker during his childhood as a slave on Tatooine. But just like any classic adventure, Ram takes on a journey a-la Bilbo Baggins to Crashpoint Tower—stepping outside his comfort zone and soon realizing that he has more skills than he realizes besides his connection to mechanical things. On the other side of the story, Race to Crashpoint Tower provides a nice link to The High Republic Adventures (also written by Older), continuing Lula Talisola’s character development and her constant desire to becoming the best Jedi ever—often comparing herself with newly knighted Vernestra Rwoh, who in the book joins forces with the Padawan.

Race to Crashpoint Tower takes place during the events of The Rising Storm, almost perfectly overlapping with the novel by Cavan Scott during the first two parts. However, the final act is where the book really shines, representing the actual race to the tower—leading to jaw dropping and unexpected turn of events, with an unconventional alliance that will blow the readers minds.

Just like A Test of Courage, Race to Crashpoint Tower features art by Petur Antonsson—from the exciting cover featuring Ram Jomaram and Lula Talisola riding V-18 to three art pieces inside, depicting some of the crucial action scenes within the story. The artwork truly helps bring the story to life, stimulating the readers’ imagination—which is especially important since this all-new era of Star Wars does not have as big a visual presence as the movies and TV shows (yet).

Race to Crashpoint Tower is an exciting and fun new adventure within The High Republic era of Star Wars. If you have read The Rising Storm, then this book will be a nice transition into a much more lighthearted tale (keep an eye for those hilarious Jedi mind trick moments), and while the adult novel is a recommended prerequisite (if the reader is old enough), Older’s kids book is perfectly enjoyable on its own. Grab a copy today and let us know your thoughts about the book on our social media outlets!
At the heart of every Star Wars story is a child.

Perhaps not literally, in terms of a character's age. But Star Wars, from its earliest beginnings, was always meant to appeal to younger audiences. Of COURSE those of us all-too-quickly approaching their 30s (hehh) can enjoy them. Just because they were created with the younger in mind doesn't mean they can't appeal to the masses.

What I found most intriguing about Daniel José Older's RACE TO CRASHPOINT TOWER was its focus on children. The main characters, the target audience, yes. But it's not often in the grand scheme of canon titles that we get to see war through a child's eyes. (There are exceptions, but we're talking major titles here.)

As with A TEST OF COURAGE, the middle-grade High Republic novel released with the first wave of stories, RACE TO CRASHPOINT TOWER, is quick, fast-paced, and fairly simple in structure. That doesn't take away from its brilliantly crafted characters and absolutely delightful dialogue ("well-informed meats" is my go-to out-of-context quote for this one).

Older has proved his expertise in Star Wars storytelling mostly through comics up to this point, but judging by this book ... we're going to need more prose from the mastermind behind Buckets of Blood.

While aimed at slightly younger audiences, it's worth a quick Saturday afternoon read if you want an entertaining companion to THE RISING STORM.