Cover Image: Matrix

Matrix

I am a huge Lauren Groff fan.  I loved Fates and Furies.  And I liked the first part of this book.  I wish I had researched Marie de France before I started the book.  (I will suggest doing that to my customers.). Groff's depiction of 12th century Angleterre is specific, detailed, and perfect.  Marie, tall, big, and homely, is lovingly portrayed with all her skills and faults.
I got bogged down about the last third of book and found myself skimming (never a good sign).
I think it will be a hard book to hand sell because of the time period, the subject, and the deep paragraphs.
This novel, imagining the life of Marie de France, was pure fun—especially after having read <i>The Corner That Held Them</i>—another tale of an abbey set a couple of centuries later—earlier this year. Groff inhabits the "what if" of history really adeptly, and Marie's story is interesting, spirited, and ultimately infused with a gentle affirmation of faith that doesn't grate.
As good as expected; actually better. I was taken by surprise by how much I liked Marie and how closely I identified with her worshipful devotion (and sense of betrayal by) the perfidious Eleanor.