Cover Image: Pup Culture

Pup Culture

I adored this book. It was charming, the pictures throughout were beautiful. Victoria is clearly passionate about what she does, working tirelessly, and going above and beyond for every dog in need. Pup Culture is stuffed to the brim with incredible tips. Everything from applying for your first rescue (there's a reason you haven't heard back on your application form), to bonding new dogs with existing dogs in the household. If you're getting a new pup, Victoria has you covered with a Puppy Necessity List which I could have used before spending $1000 on Amazon last year. Shaffer's list is realistic, budget friendly, and the items can be found anywhere. She'll tell you how to repurpose old toys, and even how to create your own. The outcome of Pup Culture will be a brain filled with puppy knowledge and dozens of questions and answers on whether you're you're ready to take the leap into owning a dog or not. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as will any dog lover, or anyone who is considering a dog.
I’ve moved most of my book review talk over to my personal account, but I think you can guess why I’d mention this one here. 🥰 #pupculture by Victoria Lily Shaffer is a book full of cute stories and adventures in fostering rescue dogs. Victoria uses personal experience to encourage the curious to see how they can help local rescue services, gives tips to those new to pup parenting, and even has some special guest stories from the likes of Dan Levy and Glenn Close! The book comes out this October and can be pre-ordered now. The one thing that I would like to note, which the author does an okay (but admittedly not as well as I’d like, at least initially) job of saying, is that there is a level of privilege involved in being able to foster. She absolutely recognised that it’s both tough and rewarding— but I think having access to a job with flexibility at the very least, is not something everyone can have. 💜
Thanks for the chance to read this book in exchange for honest feedback. This guide is jam packed with information. It was a bit “wordier” than I thought it would be - based on the cover and the description, I thought it would be designed a bit differently. Either way, I think there is a lot to gain from the book if one is willing to dig around and read through the pages of memoirs and short essays. I wouldn’t recommend this for people with short attention spans who just want the nitty gritty.

Rarely do you come across a book that is both sweetly charming as well as truly informative. This is that book. Ms. Shaffer did an excellent job of weaving her story of her personal journey rescuing and fostering dogs,  the stories of several well known celebrities with their own dog love stories, and real information for anyone thinking of adopting through a rescue or becoming a foster dog mom or dad. As someone who has worked with a rescue myself, I can attest all her information is spot on. I couldn't get enough of the great stories from the famous contributors. Glenn Close's story of the starving stray that she found while shooting a movie in Kansas was particularly moving,  This book was well worth the read and I enjoyed it as much as I learned from it.
This is a perfectly wonderful book. I am just unable to finish it, as my beloved furbaby passed away on the way to the vet this morning. I hope others will check it out if they have an interest, good information here.  Advance electronic review copy was provided by NetGalley, author Victoria Lily Shaffer, and the publisher.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
As a dog mom to special needs dogs, I'm a big advocate for adopting and rescuing dogs. So I was interested in this book just from the cover. I liked this book although I feel like it focused too much on puppies and not enough on the importance of adopting adult and senior dogs. But the author has a lot of experience with puppies so I understand why she chose to write mostly about them.
This book does offer some good advice on fostering and adopting dogs along with cute pictures, recipes for dog treats, and a few stories from other dog adopters. And the information about the rescue Mutt Scouts is inspiring.
Date reviewed/posted: March 28, 2021
Publication date: October 26, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave ( #thirdwave ?)is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Give your dog its happiest and healthiest life with these fostering and adoption tales, tips, DIY craft recipes, and heartwarming stories from dog lovers everywhere.

Pup Culture is a well-deserved ode to a man’s best friend. Fostering-extraordinaire Victoria Lily Shaffer presents a wide-ranging collection of dog adoption and fostering tales, tips, handy checklists, DIY recipes and crafts, heartwarming stories, and Q&A’s from both celebs and everyday dog lovers.

These inspiring stories and lessons dig deep into the beloved relationships between dogs and humans, from exploring the harrowing journey of finding your perfect “fur-ever” companion to spotlighting the selfless, dedicated community of rescuers that help save and change lives.

I am furious at my one niece for BUYING A DOG (Adopt, don't shop!) but I have to admit, the puppy is cute..but that is not the point given how many dogs and cats are put down each year.  This book is full of great advice, fun things and all things dog - this is a book that I will recommend to people who are looking for and after dogs that they rescued ...and bought. In fact, I will recommend it to dog buyers to help them learn that their perfect forever dog is at the shelter, not online for purchase from a breeder.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🐕 🐶 🐕 🐶 🐕