Cover Image: The Duchess Hunt

The Duchess Hunt

The Duchess Hunt is a solid historical romance with interesting characters, mutual pining, and a heap of secrets. Unfortunately, it didn't entirely work for me and it pains me to say it because I adore Lorraine Heath's writing and LOVED the first book in the Once Upon A Dukedom series. However, I will happily read the next in the series in hopes that one is more my speed!
Absolutely loved this book!  Ms. Heath is an auto-buy for me, but I think this is one of her best.  Loved the interaction between the characters, and the secrets that they both had.  I would give this book more than 5 stars.
Heath's lastest installment in her Once Upon a Dukedom series introduces us to a unique young woman whose heart wars with her practicality when her employer, the Duke of Kingsland, commands she help him find a bride. When an anonymous letter threatens them, the Duke decides to investigate side by side with his secretary, only to discover that maybe his duchess has been right in front of him all along.

Wonderfully lush, vibrant, and intelligent, The Duchess Hunt builds a compelling romance that centers around family, loyality, and abuse in multiple forms as two survivors fall in love while struggling with secrets that could destroy them both.
'The Duchess Hunt'. What an apt tile. This book was the hunt for more than a duchess, it was hunt for opening one's heart to reality and the hunt for respectability and the hunt for freedom. The duke, Hugh, our hero, had advertised for a duchess the previous year, announced her and then lost her to love. Our heroine, Penelope, had changed her name due to her past and was always looking to redeem her adolescent error. One thing that Penelope had that most women of that time didn't have was the smarts to become financially independent and not have to marry. And then the greatest freedom of all is to take the chance on a life that one could only dream of.
This story was so romantic. I always thought that Cinderella was the greatest love story of all. But this story was about a Cinderella that was cast aside, pulled herself up by her bootstraps and didn't have to leave the ball for her Prince Charming to beg her to marry him. They both just had to open their hearts to the reality of their love and support of one another.
This story may not seem historically accurate for the enlightened thoughts, but it was historically accurate in other ways. The book was well written and was a smooth read. The love scenes were tastefully depicted and the acknowledgement of happiness was the lesson we all can learn. The character development and supporting people were both instrumental in making this a wonderful read. I have read this author many times, but yet I find that this is one of my favorites by her. 5 stars, no doubt.
WOW… LORRAINE HEATH NEVER DISAPPOINTS!!!! The Duchess Hunt by Lorraine Heath is book 2 in the Once Upon a Dukedom series and oh how I just loved this book. The chemistry between Hugh and Penelope was awesome. I could not put this book down. I have been reading Lorraine’s books for the past 20 year and I have enjoyed each and everyone of them. She is truly a very gifted writer and has always been a favorite of mine. What an incredible writer. I found this book easy to read, original and it give the true feeling of the regency era. WOW…JUST WOW! This story has a independent women with a secret past, a duke that likes things in order, finding a wife for the duke, not knowing the perfect women is right before their eyes, a secret long time love, blackmail, running away, not wanting to be recognized, a good investor, sharp mines that think alike but can a duke fall in love with his secretary? You will just have to read this book to find out and I am highly recommending you do. It is Fantastic!!!

***This book was gifted to me and I am voluntarily reviewing.
The Duchess Hunt, by Lorraine Heath. Being a big reader of historical romance novels, I enjoyed this book. I say it’s worth reading. I liked the witty banter among the characters. I found the story very entertaining. For me, the book was a fast pace read and that’s ok. The romance between Hugh and Penelope was wonderful. I really liked reading their story. The romance and the attraction these two had for one another was the best part of the story. I consider this story a very happy ending.
I liked the first enjoyed the first half of the book and the chemistry between the two main characters. However, once the secrets of the two main characters came out I lost interest in the book because I feel like the book did not do justice to the serious topics mentioned.
Meh. Since the H and h are already in love with each other (even if one won’t admit it), it felt like a second chance romance to me with repetitive thoughts.
The story: Penelope Pettypeace has worked as the secretary for the Duke of Kingsland for the last 8 years and he values her so much that he has tasked her with selecting his future duchess. Lately tho, they both have been having feelings develop that are nothing to do with work. They both are keeping these feelings secret but those aren't the only secrets being kept!

Pettypeace is a great character - an efficient, capable woman who is secretary to a powerful Duke and has learned to fend for herself. Throughout the book we learn little bits of the secret that she is constantly afraid will be revealed. King (as the Duke is called) has his own history that has led him to lead a very structured life, hence why he wants his secretary to select his future duchess for him.

Their romance was a slow burn ... very slow if you consider the 8 years prior to the start of the novel. I kept wondering what happened during that time, how these two who are falling for each other hadn't done that already in EIGHT years. They are two very bright people but they both seem to be pretty oblivious when it comes to love and they both keep making choices or saying things that seem to disappoint the other one. They had some great moments but the love story didn't entirely work for me.
I had a very hard time connecting with the characters in this book. Until about 30% into the book, there, everything seemed to come together.   Penelope is a very independent woman taking care of herself. Living a peaceful life.  Hugh is the typical Duke.  And then the story gets intriguing.   Without giving away any spoilers....read this book. It's great!!
If you can suspend belief that a duke would have hired an inexperienced woman to be his personal secretary, you can enjoy this romance.  The improbably named Penelope Pettypeace is a marvel of intelligent competence and she’s also very attractive.  The duke is handsome and intense.  Of course, we know where this is going.  Both have secrets from their past that they will have to work out together.  Their growing closeness and how they work together makes a very enjoyable read.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book that I received from Netgalley; however, the opinions are my own and I did not receive any compensation for my review.
Lorraine Heath exhibits her masterful storytelling in her new historical romance about a Duke and the secretary he can’t live without.

The Duke of Kingsland has exacting expectations and his secretary, Penelope Pettypeace, is one of the few who lives up to those expectations. He trusts her explicitly, to the point that he has tasked her with choosing his wife! Penelope has been in love with King for some time. He treats her as an equal and is a man whom she can admire. She knows once he is married she will have to leave him, so she decides to enjoy what time she has with him!

This book will make you laugh, cry, and think about your finances! Heath explores what it means to be a financially independent woman and the importance of women investing (yes, this is historically accurate). King and Penelope are so staunch it’s laughable at times. I loved how all it takes is the touch of a hand to incinerate the boundaries they have established! If you enjoy sexual tension and a good workplace romance, I recommend you read this book. I loved it and the epilogue did me in!
I was provided an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. The Duchess Hunt by Lorraine Heath is the second book in the Lost Lords Series (which began with the last book of the Sins for All Seasons series). I have read each book in each series but would have enjoyed this as a stand-alone. The Duchess Hunt is the story of Penelope Pettypeace, secretary to the Hugh Brinsley-Norton, Duke of Kingsland. The ever efficient Ms. Pettypeace dedicates herself to finding the perfect Duchess despite being in love with Hugh herself. What's more, they both carry huge secrets that make the prospect of falling in love seem far out of reach. The author brought a fresh and touching voice to the very familiar romance trope of unrequited love and secretary/boss. I was fully invested in Penelope and Hugh. Their connection and love for each other was so clearly presented on page. This was also one of the most genuinely romantic stories I've read this year. The ending was truly beautiful. If you're look for a story of romance and enduring love, I would highly recommend this book.
4.5/5 Stars

** I received this as an E-ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review, Thank you!**

I completely enjoyed my time reading this book. I adored Penelope and Hugh. I loved watching the back and forth, and seeing them show their affection but also deny it. I liked how everyone could tell they had feelings and they liked each other except them. I enjoyed the other side stories of finding a bride and the revealing of dark secrets. Overall I honestly had a great time and completely recommend this book.
I always enjoy Lorraine Heath's writing and The Duchess Hunt was no exception.  For fans of Bridgerton, this book is a must.  The writing is cohesive and the characters are well developed.  This is definitely a stand-alone story even though it is part of a series.  In the fashion of the popular Bridgerton books, it includes characters from other novels in the series, but the couple has their own story.

I particularly appreciated that there was minimal to no "modern" language that made its way into the dialogue.  This happens to be one of my pet peeves in this genre.  I felt that Heath did an excellent job keeping the storyline and dialogue in Regency England.  Again, if you are a fan of Bridgerton, this is definitely an author, series, and book you need to check out.
Hugh and Penelope are a special couple. Both of them have secrets that could destroy them. He is a Duke that harbors a secret. She is his secretary but more than that.
Lorraine Heath has penned a most worthy novel.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. This in no way affects my opinion of this book which I read and reviewed voluntarily.
We have a duke looking for a spouse but doesn't care for and it isn't interested for love.  So he gets his secretary Penny to get him a wife, whom has had a crush on him the whole time, and even though he does not realize it at the time he has feelings for her too.  They get a  blackmail letter and do not know who it is for, him or her and that my friends is how the the intrigue begins, we have secrets that need to be told and past that need to be dealt with. Pretty spicy for a historical but I like my spice.
The Duchess Hunt, is a wonderful book . I love how King sees Penelope's worth  to him. It might be as a secretary but it is of great importance to him. I believe because of this is how he is able to see her in a new light. Plus Penelope is just awesome so there is that.
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Duchess Hunt has officially got me out of my historical romance slump. It's been so long since I read historical romance and this book was able to remind me again why this genre used to be my all-time favorite romance genre. I have always been a big fan of Lorraine Heath, so it's not surprising that she was able to deliver another amazing story to her readers.

In this story, it tells the story of The Duke of Kingsland who is searching for his future duchess. Therefore, he asked the help of his secretary to find the most suitable match to be his wife. Little did he know, Penelope has been in love with him. Now, judging by the plot alone, we can already tell it's gonna be an interesting read. Well, I can assure it, it's a total *chef kiss*. Like seriously, even the characters are just amazing. I completely adore Hugh & Penelope. These two have such great chemistry with one another and even the personas that they portrayed throughout the entire book stole my heart.

Overall, it was a fantastic and enjoyable read for me. This book got me hooked from the beginning till the end and  I just loved every single second of it. I think Lorraine Heath has done a great job because everything was well developed and greatly written. I highly recommend for everyone to try this out cause it's absolutely worth it.
I really enjoyed this one! It promised scandal, and it definitely delivered. So many historical romances promise scandal, and then have it be a teeny tiny secret. This scandal on the other hand, even surprised me. I loved that this one took the unexpected approach to things.

I also really liked the romance in this one. I did find it odd that Pettypeace had worked for Hugh for 8 years before he developed feelings, but I just chose to ignore the fact. I loved that this was slowburn, we really got to see the friendship between Hugh and Pettypeace before they moved it to the next level.

I also loved Pettypeace as a character. She was so independent, which is something you don't see in many historical romances. She didn't need Hugh, and she made that obvious. Instead of feeling like their romance didn't work, I felt like her attitude just made them fit better.

I wanted a quick read, and this was the perfect book for that. It was fluffy, but with the perfect hint of suspense. I'd definitely recommend it to historical fiction fans!

Thanks to Netgalley and Lorraine Heath for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review!