Cover Image: The Gentleman’s Daughter

The Gentleman’s Daughter

Sir Henry March is a commendable refined man, who is a spy for the crow in “The Gentleman Spy Mysteries” series. This is the second book in the series. It has been a long time since Henry and Eliza upset the sex dealing ring that kidnapped her. Eliza and Henry are as of now not together, and Hemry is still an agent. He is additionally attempting to track down an adequate woman to wed so that his ill-conceived little girl can be remembered for 1820’s London world-class society. What he doesn’t expect is to become hopelessly enamored with an autonomous painter Isabella who ends up beginning to think often about Henry and his gifted little girl Emily. To his vexation and her distress, she says she can never wed. When Isabella is seized by the very association, and Henry starts his research again.

This is the second book in the series and occasions of the primary book are suggested regularly- the readers don’t need to pursue the first book before starting this one. This is an exceptionally sluggish paced sweet romantic tale, sprinkled with the more shocking, dark going-on of a mysterious society of veiled men of honor who stick around prisons and demolished nunneries. It is an incredible juxtaposition- showing the brutalities done to the sex workers and how they are sometimes forced to do things. This is an elegantly composed book with a delightful ‘gradual process’ romantic tale at its heart and a great deal of solid female characters.

The composition is drawing in and attracts the readers. I loved Isabella’s character, she was simple and relatable. While Sir Henry utilized their time together to secretly research, she utilizes their time together to paint. The principal quarter is sluggish. Once the story gets to Brighton, it moves rather rapidly. We’re acquainted with a few fun side characters who I’d prefer to see more of. I discovered this book as fun and pleasant. It’s speedy and engaging at the end.
I really enjoyed this one. Strong finish at the end. This is the first book I’ve read from the author but I do hope to read more books from her. It was a bit of a slow burn but it still held my attention.
The Gentleman's Daughter is the second in a mystery series by Bianca M. Schwartz. Sir Henry is still on the trail of the Hellfire club that he dealt with in the first book.  He's also looking for a wife so that his illegitimate daughter has a smoother path for her first season.  This was an entertaining book to read. However, I highly suggest reading them in order, I felt like I missed a little bit by starting with this one. I would also set a trigger warning.  This does deal with a Hellfire club so there is explicit sex, including rape and violence.  Thank you #NetGalley for allowing me to give my honest and voluntary opinion of #TheGentleman'sDaughter.
I didn't realize this book was part of a series when I picked it up, I didn't read The Innkeeper’s Daughter but I found it was easy enough to follow along anyway.

I've been on a huge Historical Fiction kick this year and this book was pretty decent. It does have lots of POV's which can make things a little confusing but it still held my attention.

I do plan on going back and reading the first book in the series as well!
An interesting look into the lives of Georgian women! They really didn't have it as bad as we think they did! For anyone who loves the 19th or 18th centuries in Britain!
Thank you to NetGalley, Central Avenue Publishing, and Bianca M. Schwartz for the opportunity to review an e-arc of this second novel in The Gentleman Spy Mysteries series.

The Gentleman’s Daughter is a great continuation of the tale Schwartz began in The Innkeeper’s Daughter.  At the end of the last book, Sir Henry and his cohorts have successfully thwarted the attempts of a secret society set on finding pleasure in the torture of women.  Now Sir Henry must focus his efforts on finding a wife of good enough standing to aid his daughter in her entrance into society.  He meets Isabella, an aspiring artist who has no plans of getting married, and thinks that she may be the one with whom he can find happiness again.  When Isabella is kidnapped by the man she fears most from her past, Sir Henry realizes that there may have been more to the secret society than he previously thought.

This second installment has an interesting, albeit slightly predictable, plot that kept me engaged throughout.  It is a pleasant mix of historical romance and mystery that has a little something for everyone.  I do agree with some other reviews that an Epilogue might have been a good idea.  The book ends abruptly and I would have liked to see the conclusion expanded upon a bit more, especially since it appears The Memory of Her (Book 3) is focusing on Eliza and Allen and not Henry.

I loved the interactions between Isabella and Henry, and really enjoyed Isabella as a character.  She’s smart, talented, and doesn’t let the fact that she is a woman keep her from doing what she loves.  She’s suffered trauma in the past, but works throughout the book to move past it and not let it stand in the way of the things that she truly desires.

I’m looking forward to reading the third installment in the future.
The Gentleman’s Daughter is a very interesting love story. I have to admit, I didn’t read the first book in the Series but I think it was ok. Although I will circle back and read it. Historical Romantic Mysteries are not my typical read but I found this book very amusing and very well written. Bianca M Schwartz, Sir Henry.. a secret agent to the crown needs to marry to help his daughter enter society. In the midst of working a case and looking for a wife.. Sir Henry isn’t having the best of luck and happens to meet Isabella, a young artist who does well for herself and wants to stay single and live alone. Her mother had other ideas and Isabella and Sir Henry work together to solve a crime and embark on a fake romance.  Can Isabella trick her mom? Could the two fall in love? Can they find their happy every after. I really liked the characters and the pace of the book was perfect.
I was first heartbroken over Henry leaving Eliza even though I knew they couldn’t stay together, but then I quickly fell back into the story. It starts focused on Emily and her coming out. Which means Henry will have to marry well. Meanwhile the dark, twisted secret society is still involved in a dungeon of darker things.
I didn’t enjoy this as much as book 1 but the story is well written. At times it was dark and creepy. But this is a romance with adventure that ends with a HEA.
Thanks Central Avenue Publishing via Netgalley.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honet review.

The Gentleman's Daughter is the second book in The Gentleman Spy Mysteries series, I've to say that I did not read the first one and there was no problem to understand the events of this story and what did happen in the first book. It's a Mystery Thriller and a historical romance set in the Regency periode. The story was intriguing with a secret society and a fake relationship. The hero is a kind of a Regency 007 secret agent to the crown with more money and less gadgets. He has an illegitimate daughter that in order to be able to have an entrance into society, Sir Henry must marry a woman from the high society but things are not so easy when it comes to marriage.

The book was easy to read with multiple POV's that made it much more interesting and less boring. I liked better the Heroine's character Isabella more than Henry's which I find him always horny! The story of Isabella might be difficult for some readers because she got raped and this wasn't mentioned as a trigger warning. I didn't like the part about the secret society "The Snake Pit"'s subject of the reunions with their digusting activities. That was a big no for me, I don't like when women are used in stories, I can't take it. Also, some parts of the story were not really believable even in a fiction, it looks like everything is so easy to do and solve for our Sir Henry.

It wasn't a big mystery thriller for me, I did like Emily's character and now her interest in her "golden god" would be interesting to see how will it go. The most action packed part of the story came just before an abrupt end.

It was an entertaining easy read that's for sure but it wasn't really a great read for me because I rarely read historical romances. I might be interested to know what will happen to Emily but not the rest.
It’s been a while since I read a regency romance, but I really loved this one!
It was the second in the series but I didn’t feel like I was missing out on too much by starting with this one. I assume there was some background on the main characters that would’ve been helpful but I thought Schwarz did a great job building their personalities and elaborating on past events when needed. I also really enjoyed the “cast” feature at the beginning! That was such a fun touch.
Most of the plot centered around Sir Henry researching a secret society formed by men with deviant sexual tastes as well as Henry trying to find a wife in London society. It seemed he had formed a loving bond with Eliza from the last book, but since I hadn’t read that I wasn’t sure how much I would’ve been hoping for them to stay a couple. Nevertheless, Isabella, the new love interest was fabulous. A painter who was sexually assaulted by her brothers best friend, resigned herself to becoming a unmarried spinster. I appreciated how Schwarz dealt with the sexual assault and felt Isabella’s feelings were accurately depicted throughout the book. I loved Henry’s patience and compassion as on over her love and trust.
The secret society played an equally intriguing part in the plot. I love mysteries and thrillers so enjoyed the suspense that was offered. The book wrapped up nicely, but still left room for the third to continue. I look forward to reading the next one!
Spies and secret societies!

Underneath Regency England there bubbles a cauldron of warped men, historically a cabal of landless knights left over from the time when William conquered England, now important Lords and landowners. A secret society termed the knights of the Snake Pit. Once they were part of a Jacobite movement to restore the Stewart’s to the throne. These days many of the adherents are more dissolute, turning their minds to matters of sexual depraviltiy, Although there are shifting parts and doorways untapped that threaten the stability of the land.
Sir Henry March is an agent for the crown investigating the society. He’s also looking for the right sort of wife. One who’ll accept his illegitimate daughter Emily and will sponsor her come out into society.
Isabella Chancellor wants to paint, but is thwarted by her mother’s social ambitions.
Henry and Isabella collude to present themselves to society as a courting couple—giving space to further their own aspirations.
When danger rears it’s head all bets of distance and being uninvolved are off!
A solid, satisfying read.

A Central Avenue ARC via NetGalley
This is my first time reading a book from Bianca. The description was intriguing enough, however, I am not a fan of her writing style. That’s just my opinion. It felt more descriptive with less dialogue and I found myself scanning a lot. In the beginning, we are introduced to a lot of characters and it was very hard keeping track of everything. It may have helped if I read the first book in the series but I don’t think I will. I did look at the first book and sadden it was about Henry and Eliza. Usually, you’d think that’s were they fall in love but it turns out that’s not the case. In this book, Henry meets Isabella whom he stumbles upon painting. I would almost say it was love at first sight for him. Isabella was more standoffish in the beginning and most of the book, for good reason though. I did enjoy reading their story but it felt very static, like there was no life in the characters. I did receive and ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I usually like historical romance but this wasn't unfortunately for me, probably because this was much more a thriller than actually a romance, so even if the setting was historical it wasn't at all what I was expecting.
The Gentleman's Daughter was a lovely historical romance. The developing relationship between Henry and Isabella was so sweet to follow. I have not read the first book in the series, but had no trouble getting to know the characters. I loved his relationship with his daughter as well. Just enough heat for me without going overboard.
The Gentleman’s Daughter by Bianca M. Schwarz is the second book in the Gentleman’s spy series. It doesn’t necessarily continue the story where it left off after book one, but several of the characters come ack in this book. It is possible to read this one separately, though.

I mainly requested this book because I loved part one, The Innkeeper’s Daughter, quite a bit. The mix of both history and sassy romance was again very much present here, which had me hooked once again. The fact that it was largely set in Brighton, the city where I lived for a few months while studying in England, made it even better. I have such fond memories of the place that a book set there can only be amazing.

The main character, Henry, is back once again to solve another mystery three years after the events of book one have ended. His previous mistress, Eliza, has settled down with another man, and Henry has to find a suitable wife to be able to present his fifteen-year-old daughter to society when she’s ready. While solving the mystery of a sinister secret society in Brighton, Henry meets the free-spirited Isabella and immediately falls for her. The story then follows both lines of the story to the point when they come together and reach a breaking point. Not everything is fully resolved in this book, but at the end we can see that a third instalment in this series will bring more answers. I can’t wait to read this as well!
"...Henry leaned in to kiss her cheek tenderly and brushed his lips briefly over hers...He was certain now: this was the woman he wanted to marry, and she was worth waiting for."

Sir Henry March is a swoon worthy gentleman as shown in the above quote from The Gentleman's Daughter by Bianca Schwarz. We met Sir Henry, secret agent for the crown, in The Innkeeper's Daughter, the first book of The Gentleman Spy Mysteries. This second book is definitely a stand alone but reading the first will add texture to the continuation of Sir Henry's story.

It has been 3 years since Henry and Eliza thwarted the sex trafficking ring that abducted her. Eliza and Henry are no longer together and Henry is still a spy. He is also trying to find an acceptable lady to marry so his illegitimate daughter can be included into 1820s London elite society.

What he does not expect is to fall in love with independent painter Isabella who finds herself starting to care about Henry and his precocious daughter Emily. But to his chagrin and her sorrow she says she can never marry. When Isabella is kidnapped by the very organization Henry is investigating all bets are off on his remaining in the shadows  and pretending he is not in love.

Once again, this author has used her talents to not only tell a sweeping regency romance but to showcase PTSD from sexual trauma and how consent is not just our right but also our choice if and when to give it.

Like the first novel it was almost like reading two different books. There is mystery with a secret society, some former enemies , and a creepy abandoned abbey. Then there is Isabella's story, which does intertwine with the mystery, but her emotional and physical journey to finding and trusting in love brought tears to my eyes.  Luckily book 3 is in the works!

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via #Netgalley for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.
Title:  The Gentleman’s Daughter
Author:  Bianca M. Schwarz
Genre:  Historical fiction
Rating:  3.8 out of 5

Sir Henry, secret agent to the crown, must marry a lady above reproach to afford his illegitimate daughter entrance into society. After narrowly escaping marriage to a highborn bigot, he takes an assignment in Brighton, leading him to an abandoned abbey full of dark whispers, and a sinister secret society, the very one Henry has been investigating for three years.

Isabella is as beautiful as she is talented, but falling in love isn’t part of her plans. She only wants to paint, forget her painful past, and keep her overbearing mother at bay. But gaining one’s independence isn’t easy for a woman in 1823, so Isabella embarks on a fake courtship with Sir Henry. Soon, love and a painting career no longer seem so utterly incompatible.

But when the man Isabella fears most kidnaps her, all appears lost. Realizing the kidnapper is part of the same organization he is investigating, Henry chases after them. Entrapped in a web of secrets, both Henry and Isabella must face old enemies, and fight for their happily ever after.

I had not read the first book in this series, so I read that, first. There was a completely different love interest/live-in significant other in that book—set three years prior to this one—so the change was a little off-putting. I actually liked her quite a bit, so to see Henry just move on without batting an eye was bit much.

I feel like this series is an attempt at a Regency-era James Bond. Henry is a ladies’ man, wealthy, suave, and always manages to land on his feet. But he’s more of a caricature than a believable character, and the abrupt switch from the first book to this one made this just a “meh” read for me.

Bianca M. Schwarz was born in Germany. The Gentleman’s Daughter is her newest novel.

(Galley courtesy of Central Avenue Publishing in exchange for an honest review.)

(Blog link live 7/17.)
first id like to point out i did not read the first one and even so i felt this does stand good on its own for a second book because you get all the back story of the first, with that being said lets dig into this review.

This was a slow burn historical romance with a little bit of dark and twisty sprinkled in. I almost forgot what time period i was reading into because at first i was like wait a second?  especially with all the marrying off his daughter and the way men reacted to somethings or how he couldnt marry the first woman he loved from the first book. but then i got my head into the right time period and i definitely enjoyed it, there were some parts that were pretty slow or i didmt quite enjoy but overall i did enjoy it for what it was.

after seeing some reviews for the first one to kinda get me ready for this one , i was hoping for a little more dark and twistiness to it, i love dark investigative mysteries but all in all it was a good book.

the romance between Sir Henry and Isabelle was very nice and thought they were a beautiful sweet pairing;
The Gentleman's Daughter is the much anticipated second novel in The Gentleman Spy Mysteries. Having read The Innkeeper's Daughter I was quite excited to read this one.
The subject matter in this series is quite dark involving sexual violence. But, the tension, sense of menace and threat, danger and suspense really leave the reader on tenterhooks and unable to put the book down.
I loved that the darker elements were offset with a lovely and sweet budding romance. Isabella and Henry make an adorable couple and I loved how sweet he was when he was trying to encourage her trust, confidence and friendship. Their romance gave the story a lighter feeling in the first half of the story. Then the excitement and suspense ramped up big time.

With a satisfying and nail-biting conclusion, this book is an all-around winner.
Okay I’m conflicted about this story. It was still an amazing story, not as dark as the first story but still deals with the same dark situations as the first book. Loved the plot, the action, loved the characters.

My issue was that I really, really loved the first book and I love Eliza and Henry’s relationship and how it grew. So imagine my surprise when I start reading this story only to find out that they are not together anymore. 😭 Now nothing against Isabella, I really liked her character but I think reading the first book, which you don’t need to, to read this, but she’s not Eliza.  That thought stuck with me throughout the whole story so I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first book.

I actually had to go back to the first book to make sure I wasn’t confusing things and that maybe Eliza wasn’t short for Isabella. 😅 This book as well as the first leaves you with a cliffhanger, so now I’m wondering if Sir Henry will have a different girl for every book now.