Cover Image: A Dead Man's Eyes

A Dead Man's Eyes

Reporter Lisa Jamison never gives up on a story. Especially one that hits so close to home.
When Lisa discovers her ex-boyfriend was murdered in a drug killing, she knows it can’t be true. With warnings and threats to stay away from everyone from the medical examiner to the sheriff, Lisa digs deeper until she uncovers the truth. Duffy’s well-crafted, compplex, and exciting novel takes us on a dangerous path that shows us the worst people are capable of and how important it is to care for those you love.
This is well-written, action-packed, a real page turner. The suspense starts on the first page and maintains a high level throughout. The characters are cleverly drawn .. I enjoyed the relationships within the family and how it blended with Lisa's professional life. The ending came fast and furious and I found myself holding my breath in anticipation of the unexpected conclusion.
I was intrigued when I read the plot for A Dead Man’s Eyes. A reporter shows up at the city morgue to view the body of a man she hadn’t seen in 16 years. That man is her ex-boyfriend and the father of her 15-year-old daughter. When told that his death was drug-related, she refuses to believe it. That starts her down a path where she soon finds that trusting the wrong people will kill her and the people she loves. Can she find out why he was killed?

A Dead Man’s Eyes is the first book in the Lisa Jamison series. Since it is the first book in a series, readers can read it as a standalone.

A Dead Man’s Eyes does get off to a somewhat slow start and stays medium pace until a little past halfway through the book. Don’t let the slow start and the pacing fool you; the author packs a lot into those chapters. Once Lisa watches the DVD, and the incident happens at the animal clinic, the book picks up pace. That pace doesn’t let up until the end, and then it explodes into something huge. Something I didn’t see coming and took me 100% by surprise.

I admired Lisa. She had overcome so much in her life
Absolutely adored this book - the author did a great job at keeping me interested throughout the whole book. Very limited lulls in the story made it a quick read. I loved.
Thanks to NetGalley and Level Best Books for letting me read this book prior to its publication. My opinion is 100% honest, unbiased, and my own. Also, thanks to the author, Lori Duffy Foster, for reaching out to me via my blog.

I really liked the premise for this book and I got into the story quite quickly, which is not something that it happens to me very often. It was gripping, the pace was fast, and things kept happening which made the plot progress fast. The characters were well fleshed out, with proper backgrounds and all a reader needs to feel some sort of connection with them.

So I was really enjoying this book, and then it got a bit predictable, and when I can guess what is going to happen and then it happens... well, I feel disappointed. I like being guessing up to the very end. The ending, that's another issue. It happened too fast and everything seemed to be quite convenient.

Ups and downs in a book that, overall, has been entertaining and enjoyable. A good book for a weekend of relax.
Thanks to Netgalley, Lori Duffy Foster, and Level Best Books for the advance digital copy of A Dead Man's Eyes, in exchange for my honest review.
Another new author to add  to my TBR list of mystery writers, what a debut! The title of this book lived up to my expectations. I loved the concept of a newspaper reporter solving the crime, Lisa, who is wrestling with solving the murder of her teenage love, (who happens to be the father of her daughter), and revealing his identity to her.
Lisa doesn't trust the authorities to uncover the truth, while she's kept secrets for all these years. Now Lisa faces the fall out and possible loss of the daughter she's tried to protect. Thought provoking consequences of family secrets.
Very fast paced, action packed, graphically described thriller. Warning for the queasy: lots of time at the morgue & vivid descriptions of death! While I did guess one of "the bad guys" early on, it didn't spoil the conclusion.
This is the first of a new series, the Lisa Jamison Mysteries, which I look forward to reading.
I just got approved for this book and noticed it had already come out so I moved it to the top of my list.  Started it this morning and could not put it down.  Lisa is a journalist and, like all journalists in fiction, makes some crazy decisions in her search for the truth.  For Lisa it is very, very personal.  She starts the book by looking into the dead eyes of her teenage boyfriend, someone she hasn’t seen in 16 years who also happens to be the father of her child.  She has to go back to a life she didn’t want to revisit and she cannot let it go. She has to tell her daughter that the father she never knew is dead and she needs to know why.

Having read the blurb, I knew this was the first book of a new series (yay!) and so there were going to be a lot of characters introduced.  The fun for a new reader is figuring out which will be recurring.  When you have a conspiracy unraveling, any of these character could be expendable and others could end up being long term.  So, as I’m reading I am trying to figure out who is good, who is bad, who will live, who will die, and who will just be surprising.  The trick for an author is to do this all without throwing in stuff that just comes out of nowhere.  This author did this very well. When the first reveal was coming I kept wanting to yell at the main character, “Come on!  Don’t do that!”  But, we, as readers, have to sit back and watch characters make mistakes.

I’ve got to say that this was a strong pilot for this series.  I am really curious about Lisa and where she will go with her career.  What will she investigate.  I’m really intrigued by Dorothy.  There has GOT to be a backstory there.  I don’t have anything similar in my pantry.  I’m even interested in Bridgette.  At first I wasn’t too fond of her voice in her chapters, but she grew on me.

Thank you to Lori Duffy Foster, NetGalley, and Level Best Books for letting me have the opportunity to read this one.  I await the next installment.  Please.  For more please see my blog at https://readeotw.wordpress.com/
A thriller with a different core plot which I would like to appreciate. The suspense is also tight knit. But the narrative is not something where I could sink my teeth into. Usually reporters have a powerful prose which I feel is lacking and the conclusion could do well with shorter chapters. 3.5 stars
Lisa, the sympathetic heroine, is a crime reporter whose teenage lover and father of her child is found dead and she takes it upon herself to solve the mystery of his murder. Was he a drug dealer? Though she hadn’t seen him for sixteen years, that didn’t seem to fit either the facts or what she remembered about him. Lisa puts herself and her daughter into danger as she investigates on her own, afraid the law is actually mixed up with the murder. At the same time we have domestic conflicts, as Lisa and her daughter become alienated. The writing style captures the atmospheric tension—for example, when Lisa uncovers a body in the woods: “The remains of a T-shirt clung to what remained of the body. Yellow. The T-shirt was yellow.” Foster’s descriptions of criminal investigations are also impressively authentic. If you like fast-moving murder mysteries, you’ll be sure to like this one.
Lisa Jamison has a teenage daughter, who she gave birth to when she, herself, was only 15 years of age. The daughter is going through what I call teenage angst. Being a single mom is tough, but she loves her daughter more than anything.

A man is killed .... her ex-boyfriend and her daughter's father ... who she hasn't seen since she gave birth. Even though she has had no contact with him in years, she knows there is no way he was a drug dealer.

What aren't the police saying? They seem to have determined the man was killed during a drug buy and refuse to listen to any other explanation.

Being the reporter she is she goes after the truth .. and risks not only her life, but that of her daughter and their closest friend in pursuit for answers.

Her investigation leaves Lisa fighting for her family in a morbid, black market world she never knew existed. Has she trusted the wrong people?

The author is, herself, a former crime reporter. A such, I expected a great deal of credibility and I was not disappointed.

Many thanks to the author / IBPA / Level Best Books / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
This was a great quick read for a relaxing weekend. I enjoyed this murder mystery that ended up with a few twists that I didn't predict. I also enjoyed the multiple storylines surrounding Lisa's life including her past troubles & her present life with her daughter & Dorothy.

Thank you for the ARC. #ADeadMansEyes #NetGalley