Cover Image: The Return of the Pharaoh

The Return of the Pharaoh

This book is about the continuing adventures of Holmes and Watson based on the reminiscences of Watson. This one deals with Egypt and the Pharaohs as suggested by the title. It is well written and fast paced. Overall, an enjoyable read.

I received a free Kindle copy of this book courtesy of Net Galley and the publisher with the understanding that I would post a review on Net Galley, Goodreads, Amazon, Facebook and my nonfiction book review blog.
This book combines two favorites of mine, Sherlock Holmes and Egyptology and I had high expectations.  I have enjoyed many "modern" versions of the Sherlock Holmes cast and I must say this authors seem truest to the original Conan Doyle stories.  I felt as though I was truly reading a continuation of the originals.
The story finds Sherlock Holmes and John Watson (along with his tubercular wife Juliet) in Egypt.   They are involved in a case to find a missing Duke cum Egyptologist.  On the way they meet up with Howard Carter which was an interesting twist.
The plot was interesting but fell a little short for me.  It seemed choppy with too many coincidences and scenes which left me saying "WHAT....", how could that happen.  I also missed the detailed explanations of how Sherlock made his deductions.
Sherlock Holmes fans should definitely enjoy this book and I'll look for more work from this author.
3 1/2 stars for me.
Thanks to NetGalley and St Martin's Press for the chance to read and review.
Publication date is 11/9/2021 - for all Sherlock Holmes fans who like the authentic.
I was given a free e-copy of this novel by NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

I have not read anything by Nicholas Meyer before this novel. This is Mr. Meyer’s fifth Sherlock Holmes pastiche, and I believe he did the Great Detective admirable justice.

In 1910, Dr. John Watson travels to Egypt in the hopes that it will cure his wife Juliet of her tuberculosis. While she is in isolation and treatment, Watson runs into Sherlock Holmes, who is in disguise and on a case. A Duke’s wife has inquired his services to search for her missing husband, who has succumbed to the Egyptian mania, searching for an undiscovered tomb and its gold. It doesn’t take much convincing for Watson to join Sherlock on his investigation, despite his current situation. As Sherlock and Watson progress, they discover that the Duke is only one of a group of Egyptologists who have had unfortunate circumstances. Our duo ask for the assistance of Howard Carter to take up the trail before more individuals lose their lives.

Like many others before me, I have read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories. Sherlock Holmes was my first detective, and remains my favorite. I proceed to consume as many of the pastiches as I can, with the continued hope that they will follow the legacy without too much embellishment. Nicholas Meyer does a fantastic job of staying within the expectations of each character in regards to how they handle their frustrations, despairs, and thought processes. I also like how human Holmes was portrayed in this novel. There are many pastiche that make the character aloof and stand-offish as well as rude to even Dr. Watson. While it is known that Sherlock contains his emotions, I cannot help but wonder if individuals are forgetting that these two men have been friends for a long time and have gone through many trials and tribulations. Some pastiches still do not give Dr. Watson enough credit when it comes to learning from Sherlock. Meyer, on the other hand, gives Watson more intelligence by also giving him some key roles to the mystery.

I have also always liked when authors include real historical events and persons in to their stories. Historical fiction can only open so many doors. Knowing that the main characters would need assistance, Meyer uses Howard Carter in the story that makes all of the events plausible. The detail he depicts regarding the environment and the governmental clashes make one believe that they are walking beside Holmes and Watson. It is clear that Meyer did a lot of research for this novel, and there is a recommended list of non-fiction books that he graciously supplied.

The mystery was simple and straightforward. In my opinion, it fell just short of a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle mystery. However, that did not take anything away, because it was so simple. Too much convolution and confusion can make the novel difficult to enjoy, and this was not the case here. I found that because it was so straightforward that it wasn’t until the last chapter that I finally figured out what happened to the Duke. To add to the adventure, there are spies, buried treasure, a desert sandstorm, and crawling around inside a pyramid. If you are someone who is effected by claustrophobia, as I am, some passages may be harder to read than others. But reading them will still make the ending understandable to one character in particular.

Overall I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars, and will add Nicholas Meyer to my list of authors to follow.
This is the first time I've read anything by this author, but it will not be my last. Great storytelling that brings the characters to life and paints a picture that brings you into the story.

Dr. Watson & Sherlock Holmes are reunited Egypt when Dr. Watson travels there to help his wife Juliet recover from tuberculosis. Sherlock Holmes has been hired to find a missing English Duke/Egyptologist. During the search they meet Howard Carter (founder of King Tut's tomb), encounter spies, get embroiled in a murder, survive a sandstorm, and more.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical mysteries. The author has kept true to the Holmes/Watson characters and kept me engrossed and turning the pages way too late for work the next day.

I received an ARC from NetGalley, but all opinions expressed are my own.
The Return of the Pharaoh: From the Reminiscences of John H. Watson, M.D.
Nicholas Meyer
St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books
Publication Date: November 9, 2021
Review Date: September 7, 2021

“Egypt is deuced Complicated,” (Holmes, p.546).

I admit it. I love Sherlock Holmes. I mean I really love Sherlock Holmes. So, when I learned of Meyer’s novel, I had to read it. Skeptical as I was—after all he is competing with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle—I am delighted to report that the novel is brilliant! It is pure Holmes and Watson, teamed once again this time in Egypt. Holmes is on a case for a missing English Duke and Watson has accompanied his wife as she recovers from tuberculosis in a nearby sanitarium. They meet by chance in a hotel bar and Watson cannot resist assisting Holmes again and so the game is afoot!

Holmes discovers that the Duke is heavily in debt to many establishments and is in Egypt to find a golden treasure in an abandoned tomb. But, Holmes cannot locate him. E enlists the help of Howard Carter, and together with Watson and some others makes their way throughout the Egyptian countryside. Meanwhile, they have learned of several murders of other Egyptologists. Time is not on Holmes’ side as he and his small team set out to locate the missing Duke.

Meyer’s research in Egyptology is evident throughout the novel. I learned much about the history of the country and its citizens.  I had to translate a few of the foreign words and found that doing so enhanced my understanding of the passages. But, this did not slow y reading down as I finished reading it in two days!

If you are a Sherlock fan, don’t miss this one!

5 stars
Prior to reading this book I was unaware of Nicholas Meyer's previous Holmes novels. But the idea of a Holmes and Watson investigation in 1910 Egypt, meeting Howard Carter and involving a lost Pharaoh's tomb hit all the right notes. Meyer's writing felt very right for a Holmes story, although there were portions and plot elements that definitely felt much more modern. At the beginning was even a bit of social commentary on the global pandemic it was written during, comparing reaction to tuberculosis outbreaks to that of Covid-19. The tale was entertaining throughout, although it could have been a bit shorter, and towards the end got a bit more Indiana Jones-ish than Sherlock Holmes. Fans of Holmes should enjoy it, and I will be looking into Meyer's previous novels.
Once again Holmes and Watson reunite to find the missing Duke of Uxbridge. Watson and his second wife are in Egypt seeking a cure for her tuberculosis when Watson encounters Holmes in disguise at the famous Shepheard's in Cairo. Together they sift through clues to find the siisng Duke at the bequest of his wife. Danger abounds and lives are threatened as they search Cairo, Luxor and the Valley of the Kings. An enjoyable read, especially for those intrigued by Egyptology. Highly recommend.
#TheReturnofthePharoah#NetGalley
Nicholas Meyer is one of the most reliable writers of contemporary Sherlock Holmes novels. There are a great many such novels out there, and their quality is quite uneven. The Return of the Pharaoh takes Watson to Egypt, along with his wife who is suffering from TB and needs the warm, dry air. Of course, Watson runs into Holmes and the game's afoot. Holmes is looking for a nobleman, who is also an amateur Egyptologist, and who has disappeared after arriving in Egypt for his usual season's digging.

The Holmes-Watson relationship in Meyer's novels balances the affection and independence of the two men. Holmes is a bit warmer than he is in some of the other Holmes variations, but not too much so. The plot is reasonably puzzling, though not as complicated as Conan Doyle's best. The relationship between Watson and his wife is more articulated than in any of the Conan Doyle stories—and it's quite fun to see some of Watson's more outdated views of gender being questioned by his wife.

If you need a Holmes fix, this is a solid title to turn to. I received a free electronic review copy of this title from the publisher via NetGalley; the opinions are my own.
Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Watson and pyramids, does it get any better? Doctor Watson and his wife, Juliet, have gone to Egypt for her health. The Doctor was wondering how to pass the time while Juliet "takes the cure" when he encounters a disguised Holmes on the streets of Cairo. So the adventure begins.
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced reader's copy of this title.
The Return of the Pharaoh by Nicholas Meyer  is his most recent addition to the list of his Holmesian homages. Meyer is most well-known for his book The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. In The Return of the Pharaoh, Watson takes his wife to Egypt for the winter in the hopes that the climate will help her recovery from tuberculosis. Holmes joins them in Cairo as they are asked to help a fellow British noble woman whose husband has disappeared. The search for the missing man is made even more exciting by being set admission the search by Egyptologists for an undisturbed tomb of an ancient Egyptian Pharoah.
This book resonates on so many different levels as Meyer has given us an authentic feeling Holmes and Watson adventure set at the time that Howard Carter was searching for the tomb of Tutankhamun. The two parts of the book work well together and I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
It's always good to read a new Sherlock Holmes mystery.  Well, almost always.  But not everyone can live up to Arthur Conan Doyle's standards.  But Nicholas Meyer still has his touch.  Having recently returned from Egypt, so many of the locales in the book were familiar to me.  He did a great job of recreating the feel for this time and place.
Nicholas Meyer is such a great writer, and his take on Sherlock Holmes is wonderful.  This book is well written, the pacing is quick and captivation, the plot is sublime, and the characters jump off the page. Highly recommended for fans of Sherlock and Watson.
Nicholas Meyer spent his Covit-19 lockdown writing a new mystery featuring Sherlock Holmes and John H. Watson, M.D. The Return of the Pharaoh takes us to Egypt and the search for unfound tombs in the Valley of the Kings. Holmes is contacted by the wife of one of the many neophytes with Egyptian mania who hoped to discover an unopened tomb and its gold, but who has gone missing.

Watson’s second wife is battling tuberculosis and her physician has suggested he take her to a sanitarium in a dry climate– like Egypt. They see each other at meal times, but otherwise Watson must entertain himself. So, when Holmes shows up undercover on a case, it doesn’t take much to convince him to join in. The problem is that Watson has promised his wife Julia that he would not succumb again to his addiction to Holmes and his cases!

It is 1910 and Holmes’s hair is now silver and Watson’s bad leg plagues him, but the intrepid duo are game. They find themselves in dire straights, caught in a sand storm, and later buried alive. We meet an exotic dancer and spy, travel to the Pyramids of Giza by camel, and board a posh train.

I was excited to meet Howard Carter in the book. Egyptology, Tut’s tomb, the Valley of the Kings, Akhenaton, Queen Nefertiti–they have fascinated me since I was a teen. For those who are have not suffered from Egyptian mania, the history of the Tuthmose dynasty and Egyptology is worked into the story.

It’s a fun romp, a nostalgic revisiting of beloved literary characters, and a great read for those of us suffering from pandemic fatigue and needing a few hours to escape.

Meyer has been entertaining us with new Holmes/Watson stories since 1974 and The Seven-Per-Cent Solution.

I received a free egalley from the publisher through NetGalley. My review is fair and unbiased
Did something today I've always sworn I'd never do, which is to say I read a piece of fiction longer than just a couple pages on my computer screen. However, I have no regrets (my lower back may develop other ideas), as it meant I got to spend the day in the company of Nicholas Meyer's always entertaining iterations of Holmes and Watson on a straight-up adventure tale set in 1911 Egypt.

When Watson takes his ailing wife to Cairo in an effort to combat her consumption, and heads to the legendary Shepheard's Hotel for a drink, he encounters, of all people, a disguised Sherlock Holmes on the trail of a missing duke who may, or may not, have a lead on the location of an undisturbed tomb in the Valley of the Kings. So he falls-in alongside his old companion on a quest that will involve Howard Carter, a belly dancer of dubious distinction, the Duke's Brazilian wife and curious brother, and, of course, the mummy of a pharaoh.

While probably the least complicated of Nick's Sherlock Holmes tales to date, it's one hell of a fun romp and a fast-paced page turner, and with his distinctive take on Holmes (he reminds me of Wilmer's Holmes more than any other) and Watson coupled with his uncluttered cinematic writing style, it's a joy from start to finish. Easily one of the top Sherlock Holmes books to be released this year.
I love anything connected to Sherlock Holmes and liked this book about Watson a lot. Well written it keeps you guessing all the way through.
Great story, wonderful historical mystery, and a terrific take on the Sherlock sub-genre.  Well crafted, well plotted, great characters, terrific dialogue, and an easy recommendation.
It’s 1911 and the game is afoot!  Dr. John H. Watson has married once again and is living apart from Sherlock Holmes.  For reasons of his wife’s health, Dr. Watson finds himself in Egypt during the heyday of Egyptology and the search for an unopened pharoah’s tomb.  Little does he know it but he will soon find his old friend Holmes hot on the trail of a missing English duke.  Murder, mayhem, and a natural disaster follow, of course.

When I saw that Nicholas Meyer had penned a new Sherlock Holmes novel, I jumped on it.  Many years ago, I read “The Seven Per Cent Solution” and “The West End Horror;” I still have the paperbacks and will re-read them this year I think.  That was followed by “Black Orchid,” a novel which although had nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes, transported me to another time and place.  I have been a fan for years.

I have also been a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes since before I was 10 years old.  By my 10th birthday, I had read all of the original canon and had gleefully discovered the 1940’s wartime movies.  Ever loyal to Basil Rathbone as being “my” Sherlock Holmes, I later branched out to Christopher Lee and Jeremy Brett as Holmes.  I read whatever I could analyzing Holmes and his methods as well.  And finally, when the series “Sherlock” arrived with Benedict Cumberbatch, I was at first skeptical, and then laughed with delight during the first episode.

Having been a voracious consumer of everything Sherlock for over 45 years, I can say with utter confidence that this is a novel right at the heart of everything Holmes and Watson.  There is action and adventure…and then there is painful frustration as the trail goes cold and Holmes is fidgeting around.  There is an engaging plot line with a historically well-known person.  And there is detail…oh so much detail about the exotic surroundings of turn-of-the-20th-Century Egypt under Ottoman rule.  Are there spies?  There are certainly greedy foreigners trying to find and carry-away golden treasures while the Turks allow it, with angry locals perhaps more than looking on.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly recommend this book for a fast-paced, page-turning adventure read.

With great thanks to author Nicholas Meyer, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley for allowing me the opportunity to read this new offering.  It was just what I needed!
Sherlock Holmes is back! As is his sidekick Dr. Watson, who leads us through this Egyptian mystery. Watson travels with his wife to Egypt to recover from an illness at a health resort. While there, he meets Holmes, rather coincidently, and proceeds to follow him in his investigations as Mrs. Holmes undergoes her treatments in quarantine (shades of our current situation). Well done; it was great to be back in the company of these familiar figures. Recommended.
Delightful story! I couldn’t put it down and read it in two days. I loved the interplay between Holmes and Watson. Having been to Egypt and seen the Sphinx and the Great Pyramids, I greatly enjoyed the setting for the story. A wonderful read.
Juliet Watson has a cough which is all too familiar to her husband, Dr. John Watson. Encouraged by her physician to take her to a warmer climate, Watson picks Egypt, where Juliet is enrolled in a severe course of treatments at a noted clinic, leaving Watson on his own much of the time. It's then he runs into Colonel Arbuthnot—in reality, an undercover Sherlock Holmes, trying to discover the whereabouts of an English duke who's become enamored of Egyptology, but has vanished, leading to inquiries from his wife and the Home Office. As part of his investigation Holmes has discovered several other Egyptologists have died, or gone missing, as well. The story follows Holmes' and Watson's search, from a hotel with a disappearing room to finally end in a railway trip that nearly turns deadly, and then, with the help of Howard Carter (several years before he became famous for discovering "King Tut"), tracking down a tomb which has apparently remained untouched and is full of gold and other riches.

The pros of this book: Meyer has his Victorian vocabulary pretty much down pat, so it sounds like something Arthur Conan Doyle might have written. His Holmes/Watson badinage is fair; it doesn't sound quite as good as in his previous works. Meyer also brings Edwardian-era Egypt to life, from the heat to the smells and sounds of the streets and the marketplaces to the vintage treatments Juliet has in the sanatorium to the realities of the environment to the sensations of crawling inside tombs thousands of years old. The cons: to me it just kind of ambles along, with no suspense until the second half, a little like a Rick Steves' travelogue. So I enjoyed it, but there were certainly bits where it dragged in spots, especially in the first half of the novel.

(Also wondered if Meyer's reference to the wallpaper at the duke's hotel was a tip of the hat to Charlotte Perkins Gilman...)