Cover Image: Mocha, She Wrote

Mocha, She Wrote

Another excellent edition to a wonderful series! Full of twists and turns that leaves you wanting more and enjoying each moment until the end when the killer is caught!
Pastry chef and business owner, Juliet “Jules” Capshaw is looking forward to a summer of possibilities.  Her bakery, ice cream shop and winery are all thriving, and she has reconciled with her husband, Carlos.  But then, she has to solve a murder very close to home.  Her employee, Andy is the main suspect when a judge in the Barista Cup contest is murdered and the weapon appears to be the Spiced Honey Latte that Andy made for him.   Jules uses her well-honed sleuthing skills to investigate the suspects in the competition to determine who has the biggest ax to grind with the judge who was known for his mean reviews and spiteful temperament.  Along the way, delicious food is made.

Mocha She Wrote is tailor-made for foodies who love sumptuous, mouthwatering descriptions of food and drink.  The beautiful scenery of smalltown Oregon is also a feast for the senses.  The characters are well-drawn with Alexander’s gift for writing vivid imagery.  The mystery is on the straightforward side, leaving the reader plenty of breadcrumbs along the way, without making it too easy to guess whodunnit.  This is a book for cozy mystery readers who like the atmosphere just as much as the mystery.  Readers will find themselves hungry and thirsty when they finish the book, so it’s a good thing that there are recipes included.
This is my favorite cozy mystery series.. However, this book fell just a little flat for me.  I knew who the bad person was halfway through the book. I appreciated the small touches setting up books to come and it was nice to see Carlos and Jules relationship be solid and stable finally.
Mocha, She Wrote takes us on a quick tour of the bake shop, Torte, and The Hills hotel and restaurant while the protagonist, Jules, and her many friends, rush to solve a murder that could ruin barista Andy.

This was my first cozy mystery by the author.  I was okay picking up number thirteen in the series — didn’t feel like I was missing out on any key information. And, I like how she got straight to the meat of the story and left out a lot of the fluff that so often fills the pages.

Thank you to the author, Ellie Alexander, publisher, St. Martin’s Press, and Netgalley for providing an Advanced Readers Copy for me to preview.
As expected, book lived up to my expectations.  Fun, believable characters you can relate too easily.  Well written, well plotted, and just pure fun to read and lose a couple of hours in a story.  Delighted to recommend it to family and friends.
Mocha, She Wrote is #13 in the series, A Bakeshop Mystery, where we find ourselves in a quaint, delectable city of Ashland, Oregon. This was my first time being introduced to the warm and supportive characters of Jules, Andy, Carlos, "the Professor", (plus more). Everything in this book sounds absolutely divine to eat or drink. Reading the varied flavor descriptions of the coffee will encourage you to order something new at your coffee shop! Not only that, but Ashland is also a Shakespearian town and the locals quote him throughout the book.

Andy, a barista at Torte's, gets accepted to compete in the West Coast Barista Cup. The competition is heated, and it's fun reading about the technical aspects of brewing the perfect cup. The Cup is more dramatic than ever as a judge is murdered and the Whodunnit begins. Torte's owner, Jules, and her charismatic friend Lance (not so discreetly) tries to help the detectives solve the case.

Throughout the book, the focus is on food, drink, and friendship and doesn't get overpowered by the mystery. This was an all-around enjoyable cozy mystery!
This is one of my favorite series and I love the growth of both the main characters as well as supporting characters.
When Andy, one of the barista's at Torte, is participating in a barista contest, things take a disastrous turn when a judge winds up dead.
Andy may have had a few heated words with the judge,  but so did several others.
Jules won't let Andy take the fall for this, so she sets out to uncover the truth.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for selecting me to read an advanced copy of this book.
This is the 13th book in the series and it’s just as good as the rest of the books. 13 books into a series and it shows no signs of becoming boring or repetitive.

In this one, Jules’ friend Andy has entered a barista contest and one of the judges is killed. Andy is a suspect due to some disagreements between him and the judge and the fact that Andy’s drink was the last one the judge had. But there more than one coffee barista who had an issue with that judge so there’s plenty of suspects.

The whodunit is good, but the biggest charm of this series is the characters and the setting. All our favorite characters continue to grow and haven’t become boring in any way. Torte and Ashland are such a charming setting and I can picture it.

I highly recommend this book and entire series to any cozy mystery fan.
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

Coffee and murder what could be better? Great cozy
This story had me craving creative coffee drinks, and I don’t even like coffee, unless it is heavily laced with chocolate! Excellent amount of intrigue and on the edge of your seat action from both the murder aspect but also the Barista competition backdrop. I’m not sure which part I enjoyed more, the sleuthing antics of Jules and Lance, the food descriptions (yep I am a cozy food fan girl) or the play-by-play of the barista competition. Plenty of red herrings and misdirection that keeps the reader guessing, just like our main character and her sidekick (don’t let Lance know I said that LOL). All of it was important and it all had something to do with the murder and the mystery. The only thing that would make this story better is a recipe or two.
When one of my favorite series also has a barista competition, I know that I'm in for a good mystery.   I've read this series since the first book and these characters are now like good friends.  I also love how Jules, Carlos, her family and the Bakeshop staff are all like family.

Information regarding the barista competition was very interesting to me and I loved the mystery that accompanied it.  It's a nice easy read with a well-thought out mystery.

I'm already for a return trip to Ashland.
This is the thirteenth in the Bakeshop Mystery series.  I like that Andy is the focal of our mystery.   This is another well-written, descriptive book that is a standalone.  I like that the book has a very familiar to me.  It reminds me of the first books in the series.  The characters are well-developed and we get to see a few new sides of our familiar people.

You couldn’t ask for a better supporting cast.  The Torte family is so well in tuned to each other and would bend over backwards to help each other.

I was given an e-copy ARC after the publication date and am not required to leave a positive review.
Mocha, She Wrote is the thirteenth Bakeshop cozy mystery by prolific author Ellie Alexander. Released 29th June 2021 by Macmillan on their St. Martin's imprint, it's 320 pages and is available in paperback, audio, and ebook formats. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links and references throughout. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

This is a cozy mystery for coffee lovers. It's set in the Pacific Northwest USA and is full of local (Oregon) settings and specialized coffee culture. I'm a tea drinker, so it was fun to read about all kinds of specialized coffee preparation, tools, ingredients and presentations. The minutiae is explained well in context, so it didn't get bogged down in terminology or anything.

The plotting, characterization, and dialogue are representative of the genre; lighthearted, somewhat over-the-top, and used to move the narrative along. It's not a realistic procedural. There's no gritty unpleasantness, no brutality (even the violence is mostly off-scene), no blatant sexual aspects, and the language is squeaky clean and used appropriately. Some readers might find Jules' sidekick Lance a bit trope-y (he's effeminate and a bit flamboyant), but he's written with warmth and kindness (if lacking in common sense), so I didn't find him offensive. Although this is the 13th book in the series, it works fine as a standalone.

For fans of the genre, it's a well written and very pleasant diversion. (Isn't that why we read cozies?). For readers who enjoy this Bakeshop series, I can heartily recommend the author's Sloan Krause brewing mysteries. She has either a truly impressive grasp of baking, brewing, and coffee culture or she's got experts on tap to consult for her background research.

Four stars.

This is one of my favorite cozy mystery series and I was so excited to dive back in to this world.  I loved re-visiting the characters and trying to solve the whodunit.
Head barista at Torte, Andy, has earned the chance to compete in the West Coast Barista Cup! Jules and company are excited for Andy to have this chance to show off his skills. The excitement soon fades, though, when Benson, known as the Simon Cowell of judging coffee, is found dead with a cup of Andy's coffee in his hand. All of the locals know that there's no way Andy could so such a thing, but the circumstantial evidence points to him. It's not long before Jules and Lance, artistic director of Oregon Shakespeare Festival, find themselves digging deeper into the unpleasant judge's history with everyone around him, including the other judges, contestants, and even the MC of the event, chef James. With fingers being pointed every which way, it'll be up to Jules and Lance to figure out who put a lid on the judge, for good!

Each book in the Bakeshop Mystery series draws the reader deeper into a charming world that one cannot help but want to experience for themselves. Descriptions of everything- the scenery, coffee, food, emotions- are so colorful that you only have to close your eyes to be able to see it vividly in your mind. Although it is book 13 in the series, the writing continues to remain fresh as it allows its characters to grow and evolve. New characters are introduced seamlessly, without any clunkiness or "where did they came from" that can sometimes happen in any book, but especially cozy mysteries. I love that enough clues are given that may point you in the right direction of the killer, but they are never so overt as to make it glaringly obvious. There are also enough red herrings dropped to make the reader second-guess their choice of villain several times.

All in all, author Ellie Alexander has once again produced a story that is well worth the wait and leaves this reader even more eager for the next one.
4.5 Stars

This is the thirteenth book in the Bakeshop Mystery series by Ellie Alexander.

This was a real fun book to read. Andy gets the spotlight this time as he competes for a coveted title as top barista but there is all sorts of hijinks and manipulations going on behind the scenes. So, needless to say, it is hard to tell who killed the main judge, the Simon Cowell of Coffee, when you are in the midst of the story. Of course, Andy gets the brunt of the attention because it is his coffee drink that is laced with the poison. The guy can’t win for losing.

I love getting to see the glimpses of Jules’s life interspersed between the action scenes. Gives the rest of us hope we can rekindle a lost love like that and be successful at it.

Love this series so much. Definitely going to dig into it more! So much fun to follow the action of Jules and Company!

If you love a cozy mystery, definitely check this one out. Great new must read book great series too!

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title. Opinions are completely my own.
The books in this series never seem to disappoint and this one is no exception. The characters are clever and my favorite is Jules. I love the stuff made in her bakery with the descriptions so vivid you can almost taste them.  The twists and turns kept me busy all afternoon. I really love this series.
Mocha,  She Wrote by Ellie Alexander is book 13 in the A Bakeshop Mystery. It can be read as a stand alone.
This time the story features Andy, the main barista. He has been selected to be in a competition being held in Ashland. Jules feels he has a good chance as winning is he can get the nerves under control. When the main judge is found dead and the last thing he drank was one of Andy's coffee drinks, Jules knows she is going to have to help get Andy cleared.
As usual with this series, there are plenty of plot twists and suspects in this well written Cozy. The main characters are likeable and relatable. There is romance, family and friendship. I always feel as if I am in Ashland, Oregon when reading this series.
I was given an ARC by St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for an honest review.
This is by far one of my most favorite books in the series yet. We follow more closely and learn more about Andy Tortes barista. I love that he is following his dreams and really trying to be the best in his field. A murder occurs that turns eyes on Andy and it is up to Jules to figure it out!
I have voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this title given to me via NetGalley. Wow what can I say about this title it was just an awesome read. This book was just something so wonderfully different I’ve never quite read anything like this. You should read to find out you won’t be disappointed. I’m definitely going to read more by this author.