Cover Image: Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche

I liked the tv show featuring Enola Holmes and liked this story.
Note: I prefer my Holmes stories to be more canon-wise but Enola is an interesting and likeable character and I like her.
It's an entertaining and riveting story, fast paced and easy to read.
There're some disturbing descriptions of aslyum but there's also plenty of humor.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I received a free copy of Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche thanks to Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.

I’ve never read any of the Enola Holmes books before, but when the publicist reached out and asked if I’d like to be part of the Blog Tour for the newest Enola Holmes book, I agreed. From what I had previously seen of the newest book, it sounded like a fun read and I’m always up for a good mystery. Luckily, you didn’t need to have read the previous books to enjoy this one.

In Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche, we follow Enola as she helps Letitia “Tish” Glover find out the truth of what happened to her twin sister, Felicity “Flossie” Glover Rudcliff. Tish has just received a short letter saying Flossie died. Tish doesn’t believe Flossie has really died and has come to the Holmes’s for help. Working with her older and famous brother Sherlock Holmes, they gather clues and hatch a scheme hoping to solve the case.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick but entertaining read. It’s set in 1800s London, and you have to remember that, because the viewpoints are of those during that era. I love our headstrong main character Enola, who goes against what’s proper and travels alone, doesn’t stick to societal norms of domesticity, etc. but instead focuses on writing and solving cases. The interaction between her and Sherlock was a great addition to the book. I love that her strong personality challenged his and also made him rethink some of his pre-conceived notions about women and society. They made a great team in this story and I look forward to reading more about them.

This book has humor, mystery, and a great cast of characters. I kept thinking about them long after putting the book down. I will definitely be picking up the previous books in the Enola Holmes series. Thank you once again to Wednesday Books and Nancy Springer for my review copy and inviting me on this book tour!

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche releases August 31st, so be sure to pick up your copy!
I have always loved Sherlock Holmes story so the chance to read a book featuring his younger sister appealed to me right away. I loved the fresh take on Sherlock. Enola is my kind of girl, exciting and daring. I loved this story and can't wait to read more. This one can be read as a stand alone. Now I need to read them all!
The new addition to the Enola Holmes serious is almost as fun as its predecessors. It feels like it’s missing a little something without the risk of Enola being caught by her brothers; however, Sherlock still plays a great part in her adventures, and I quite like their dynamic together. Enola is as intelligent and creative as ever. Should another story be written, I would happily read of her next adventure.
Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche is a fantastic YA mystery novel!

Enola, Sherlock’s younger sister, takes on this case when the sister of a young woman, thought to be dead, hires her to find out what really happened.  Enola is full of wit, charm and snark as she sets out to discover the truth behind the black barouche.

It starts off with an introduction by the great Sherlock himself as he lays out the story of his sister and the ways she drives him crazy. This book brings to light the historical treatment of women who were thought to be “too much” by men and the standards they set forth in society.  I truly enjoyed the characters , the plot and the banter.

Being a true fan of all things Holmes I loved this book. I didn’t realize when I requested it that it was number seven in a series. I will definitely be reading the previous six books.
Enola Holmes is on the case again! After catching her brother Sherlock in a mood, Enola decides to help out with his current client, Miss Letitia Glover. After marrying the wealthy Cadogan Burr Rudcliff II, Earl of Dunhench, Felicity Glover fell ill and died. Letitia has suspicions though. The letter from "Caddie" bears little detail about Felicity's death, and then there's the unusual circumstance of Felicity's cremation. The only clue lies in the fate of Caddie's first wife, who supposedly died of illness as well but was rumored to have been taken away in a black barouche instead. With the help of Tewky, Sherlock, Watson, and Letitia Glover herself, Enola must find out what really happened to Felicity Glover and how to stop it from happening a third time.

I was thoroughly drawn into this novel. Enola is a plucky, whip-smart protagonist who doesn't miss a trick as she solves the case. She never needs much help from Sherlock, though he does swoop to her rescue a couple of times. She's fiercely independent and, in my opinion, a fantastic role model for girls. My main fear with novels like this is that the plot will be predictable, and though the twist wasn't overly surprising, it was still good. I enjoyed following Enola's logic as she discovered the clues and followed them to discover the final outcome. There are a lot of highjinks and some very fun theatrical moments as well. There's a strong narrator voice, so much of it comes across as telling, rather than showing. My only criticism really is that I think I would've liked to have been shown more.

I would suggest this for a younger YA audience! I think an older YA audience may find the language somewhat juvenile.
I am an admirer of Sherlock Holmes. When Enola Holmes came along, I loved her too. My first introduction to Enola Holmes was through Netflix.

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche by Nancy Springer was a delight to read. I loved the camaraderie between Sherlock and Enola. The case they solved was not a great mystery but Enola’ way of solving it and having misadventures along the way was endearing.
Once again, Enola takes on a case presented to her much better-known older brother and manages to outshine and out sleuth. A mystery of a twin's alleged death--or was it?--leads to the discovery of more deaths and an obvious candidate for the murders--or, are they?
Enola Holmes is at it again as she outshines her older brother in the world of crime solving. If you are a fan of the previous Enola Holmes books you're going to love this one as well.
Once again, Nancy Springer has created an enjoyable, fast paced, throughly enjoyable romp with my second favorite young detective (second only to Flavia) Enola Holmes.  Springer captures the tone, pacing and attention to detail that burst off the page in the original Holmes books. The fact that she puts Sherlock in the Deerstalker cap is pretty funny too.
At fifteen, Enola Holmes is an independent young woman who comes and goes as she pleases. When Miss Letitia Glover, asks Enola's brother Sherlock for help, Enola steps up. She goes undercover to determine if Letitia's twin Felicity did die as certified by Earl of Dunhench and Dr. Watson. While undercover, Enola discovers that another of the Earl's wives has died suddenly and mysteriously and that the fate of both wives is tied to a mysterious black barouche. To uncover the secrets, Enola requires help--from Sherlock, Leticia, Dr. Watson, a feisty horse named Jezebel, and an old friend, the young Viscount Tewkesbury, Marquess of Basilwether.
I enjoy the Enola Holmes books! They're written with accuracy to the time period, and they're easy to read. I appreciate the dialogue, too, and witty, clever plot twists. Enola always surprises me with her insights. I want to be here when I grow up!
Full of action and mystery. Enola is a wonderfully strong role model - resourceful and intelligent . Students will love reading of her adventure.
I found this book to be interesting. I really wanted to give it a try. I do really love mystery’s books very similar to this. However I found myself getting board. Unfortunately I didn’t end up finishing this book.
This book was such a delight. It evoked all the wit and charm of a Sherlock Holmes story, while also bringing its own YA voice. I loved the Netflix movie, and that was my only experience with an Enola Holmes story, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Was it going to have that scrapbook aesthetic, and almost interactive experience? While it wasn’t as in-your-face as the movie, the book definitely had that spunk and conversation with the reader that made the movie iconic. I’m assuming the other books in the series are similar, and if so, I will definitely be reading them.
4.5 stars!  Enola is absolutely charming and rambunctious and this book is a must read for everyone who loved the Netflix movie!  While I would have preferred a few more twists and turns, I loved the dramatics involved in solving the case and all of the characters we got to know along the way.
This is an excellent addition to the Enola Holmes series. I really enjoyed Enola and Sherlock working together to investigate the mysterious death of the wife of a Duke. The mystery was very good and Sherlock's involvement added a super fun element to the story for me. I hope there are more cases on our horizon for Enola and Sherlock to solve together.
this was definitely the best in the series so far. i enjoyed it and will most likely continue the series if more comes out. they are enjoyable and easy reads, pass the time more than fine.
First Line: Those of you who are aware of my distinguished career as the world's first Private Consulting Detectice can hardly remain unaware of the sensational way in which another Holmes of similar ilk, my much younger sister, Enola, has lately burst upon the London scene.

Summary: In the process of dealing with one of her brother's wallowing depressions, Enola stumbles upon one of his cases and joins forces with her brother to help Letitia Glover discover what happened to her sister after her marriage to the seemingly wonderful Caddie, the Earl of Dunhench.

Thoughts: While I feel that Spring may have been trying to monopolize on the popularity of the Enola Holmes Netflix movie, this book was delightful. The level and content fit that hard to reach age group between middle grade and young adult. The humor and banter between the Holmes siblings is fun. The first six books in the series are all about Sherlock being at odds and trying to find and deal with his younger sister. This novel focuses on their continued relationship as equals. Overall, a great late middle grade mystery novel. It's a quick read at only 272 pages.

FYI: This is the 7th book in the series. The previous book was published in 2010. There is a synopsis at the beginning, done with a prologue from Sherlock's point of view. You can definitely read it without having read the others in the series.
A thank you to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press, and of course Nancy Springer for providing me with an eARC of this book. I am voluntarily leaving a review, all opinions are my own.

This was such a fun read, I loved the whole concept behind this character and just really enjoyed the writing and the storyline. Enola is such a fun character and this was a great, quick read that kept me interested.

This wasn't the first book in the series, but it could be read a standalone.
I just loved this book and I honestly did not know this series existed and yet here we are at book 7, and I am so excited for this series that I am reading book 1 asap and reading the entire series as a goal before the end of the year. I also saw Enola Holmes in Netflix before reading this and I found them both, the movie and the book quite enjoyable equally.

I feel like these were my Nancy Drew back in the day, and so happy to see young readers have this character to inspire them who is smart, brave, witty, positive, and even a master of disguise.

I felt that the world-building was phenomenal and I was quickly immersed into the story line - read wonderfully as a stand alone and this being my first book was absolutely a delight to read. I just love this YA Historical Mystery that is engaging, fun to read, with amazing mysteries to uncover.