Cover Image: Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche

In Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche, Nancy Springer manages the nearly impossible feat of keeping the tone and voice of a book in line with the rest of the series, even eleven years later. Enola and Sherlock Holmes are tasked with finding the missing—probably dead—twin sister of a new client. She goes about solving this mystery confidently, but still naïve to what it means to be a woman in Victorian England. Fashions may be changing but attitudes are not. This book is missing the cat-and-mouse aspect of Sherlock chasing Enola, but that’s replaced by the siblings working together. Overall, the seventh book is on par with the first six. Definitely worth the read.
Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche
by Nancy Springer
I want to thank the publisher and NetGalley for letting me read this fun and exciting book!

I find Enola just as exciting, if not more, than Holmes! She is a bit brash, always daring, and will take on just about anything! Her and Holmes make a great team! In this book Holmes is in a terrible funk and Watson is worried about him. Holmes won't eat, shave, or get out of bed. Watson wants Enola to come cheer him up.

When Enola arrives, she finds Holmes in a dreadful state and is unable to get him moving. That is until Holmes gets a case but Enola takes it instead. Holmes then perks up! This is just what he needed! Enola and Holmes set about to save a woman before it's too late.

The woman states she received a letter saying her sister died suddenly and was cremated. It just seemed suspicious. The husband is a Duke that married below his status. The case is exciting, has suspense, clever, and sprinkled with wit and humor.

I watched the one show that aired having Enola so I could picture all this happening! I hope they make this into one also! Recommend for middle grade and up!
Enola Holmes is on the case.  When a distraught twin sister Miss Letitia Glover comes to her brother Sherlock seeking help because she received a letter from her sister Felicity's husband informing her that her sister had died.  Unable to accept that her sister had died Letitia has come to Mr. Sherlock Holmes to seek his aid, Enola present and willing to help takes on parts of the case.  This sets her on a road to find out exactly what happed to Miss Glover's sister.  This was an exciting mystery that truly embraced the love that some sisters have for each other.  There are horse carriages, dresses in distress and the Black Barouche.  Enola is capable and on the case.  Highly enjoyable, wonderful mystery, engaging and thoroughly entertaining.
YA Historical Fiction. Enola Holmes, Sherlock's younger sister, is on the move again. She was hired to find out the truth behind what happened to the twin sister of Tish, who had received news from the husband that her sister died. But Tish was in denial... she just knew that she would know if her twin had died. So,  Enola with the help of her brother (this time) travel together to seek the truth. Overall, interesting,  fun, well-written, and worth reading!
4.3 Stars

It sure feels like I’m living under a rock when I didn’t even know about the existence of Enola Holmes and the past 6 cases she solved. Nor was I aware of the movie released last year that led to another book in the series after more than 10 years.
But I’m glad to have redeemed my mistake. All the previous books are in my TBR now. I may watch the movie, though I’ll read the book first.
Thankfully, this book starts with a brief recap covering the series. It’s narrated by none other than Sherlock. The author had done justice to his character and retained most of his grumpiness and dry humor.
Enola is now fifteen and ready to take on a case again. Her banter with Sherlock is fun to read. Enola steps in and takes over the case when Letitia Glover goes to Sherlock for help.
What else can she do when her brother is having one of his bouts again, and the poor Miss Glover was worried for her twin sister? The case doesn’t have too many twists and turns and comes to a satisfactory ending. Enola does her share of sleuthing, going undercover, getting caught, escaping, and finally working with her experienced brother to solve the case together. Viscount Tewky and Dr. Watson are roped in to play their roles.
Written for the YA audience, the book is mostly lighthearted. But it does have a couple of disturbing scenes. The author presented them well, so that shouldn’t really be a problem.
To conclude, I totally enjoyed reading this book. If you are a fan of mysteries, the Victorian era, resourceful heroines, and the YA genre, this one is for you. And hey, it’s got Sherlock too!
Thank you, NetGalley and St. Martin's Press/ Wednesday Books, for the ARC.
*Thank you to Net Galley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book. My opinions are my own and are provided willingly and honestly.*

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche is the long awaited seventh novel in the Enola Holmes mystery series.

If you are a long-time fan of this series, then you will be most excited to know that this is truly book seven and not a Netflix tie in. The Movie was fine, but the books are better.

If you are just coming to the books, because you loved the Netflix movie, that's fine. Just be warned that this book has spoilers for the first six books in the series which have an over arching plotline. If you don't care about spoilers, the prologue to this novel includes a short summary of each of the previous Enola books. After a ten-year break, I admit I appreciated this refresher.

The Black Barouche is honestly the book in the series I most wanted while reading these books as a teenager. I was, and still am, a big Sherlock Holmes fan, and this book finally sees Enola and Sherlock working on a case together. Well, maybe not together. They are basically competing to see who solves it first. Seeing as they are sister and brother, this is the only natural outcome.

I just can't get over how great this book was, Springer's writing style is exactly the same and took me right back to when I binged the original six books in one month. Enola's voice was just as confident and snarky as before. There is also the bonus of revisiting Tewky from book one, and who Netflix viewers will recognize from the movie.

Each Enola Holmes book is centered on some aspect of Victorian society that related to women and most importantly to the injustices they faced at that time. The Black Barouche is no different, though this book may have the darkest injustice of all. It deals with the reality of how truly disposable women were.

A Nobleman writes his wife's sister that she is dead. No explanation, no funeral, no body. Just, your sister is dead so sorry, don't come round anymore. It's up to Sherlock and Enola to discover what became of the late Lady Dunhench.

As is often the case in Victorian mysteries, the true criminal is the law. The law that lets men, well men with money and power, do whatever they please without consequence.
I couldn't tell you what percentage of my enjoyment was nostalgia based, but I had such a good time reading this. It felt like I was 14 again and absolutely devouring these stories as fast as I could get them from the library. Also, I think it was a genuinely fun mystery/adventure story, and of course we all enjoy seeing Sherlock get his ego handed to him by his little sister. Highly recommend!
A thoroughly delightful mystery set in England during the late nineteenth century. Enola Holmes, the sister of the famous Sherlock Holmes, is the primary detective in the case.

The author has a clever way of imitating the writing style of Arthur Conan Doyle while updating it just enough to please modern readers. In particular, Enola bears quite a bit of resemblance to a contemporary young woman in her attitude and confidence.

The only issue I have is that I fear that I am about to become entirely addicted to this series. A well-deserved and enthusiastic five stars!
A fine installment, though, having read the prior 6 over the weekend, I feel confident in saying there is a slight change in tone in this latest. This is neither positive or negative, simply an observation.
This was absolutely delightful! I adore Enola Holmes and was thrilled to read an addition to the series. The plot was well-paced, captivating, with plenty of twists and turns. The characters were charming and witty. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.
Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche by Nancy Springer is the seventh book in a pastiche series of MG/YA novels. Set in Victorian England, Springer creates a new character all her own: Enola (which is the word "alone" spelled backwards), the much younger sister of Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes. And, alone she is, as her mother has abandoned her, her father is deceased, and her two older brothers are off living their own lives. She describes her brother Sherlock as the one and only professional private detective in all of England, while she is the one and only professional perditorian, one who finds things that are lost.

Full disclosure: I was introduced to this series via the Netflix film based upon the first in the series, Enola Holmes and the Missing Marquess. After watching the film in September of 2020, I quickly downloaded the corresponding novel and flew through it. Having read quite a bit of the Sherlock Holmes canon, I was immediately drawn into his world once again, this time with a female protagonist who shares many of Sherlock's quirks and characteristics.

And, now, thanks to NetGalley and this advance ebook of the seventh installment, I return again to Victorian England and meet up once again with Sherlock and Enola. I actually enjoyed this one more than the first; perhaps the first fell victim to my breaking one of my hard and fast rules: never see the movie before reading the book. I will now finish up the series, reading those in between the two bookends in order.

One thing is certain, however, I am glad to be reading Springer's work on my Kindle as my finger is perpetually loitering over words unfamiliar to me. As a veteran English teacher and a lifelong avid reader, my vocabulary is pretty solid, but Springer has sprung quite a few new words on me. For example, a barouche is a four-wheeled horse-drawn carriage with the passenger seats hidden from view by a folding top.

Springer has created a unique literary character, a young female in Victorian England who walks into pubs unescorted, drives a horse-drawn carriage—albeit badly, carries a dagger in the bosom of her dress, and more. I found the most recent installment to move at a faster clip than the first, but again, this is perhaps a result of having seen what Hollywood did prior to reading. A very enjoyable series, which I hope continues past this most recent one. Another movie or two would be fine with me as well, as long as I've read the books first!
Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche is the latest book in the Enola Holmes series. This book is a quick witted, engaging mystery that is good enough to keep the die hard mystery readers on their toes and an easy enough read to get young readers drawn into the world of mysteries. Watching Netflix's movie on the series, Enola Holmes quickly piqued by interest and the book does not disappoint. Enola is everything you would expect from a young Holmes. I love the writer using Sherlock's point of view to tell the prologue and the epilogue filled with all the awe and shock Sherlock should display for his audacious little sister. Trying to get Sherlock out of a fit of melancholy, Enola inserts herself in a case of a reported death of a twin whose sister does not believe she has been given the whole story. Using every trick in the Holmes book, the siblings begin a wild chase to solve a case of a missing twin taken away in a Black Barouche.  Addictingly fun, Enola Holmes is the kind of heroine I want to share with my children to instill the love of the mystery genre to. My voluntary, unbiased review is based upon a review copy from Netgalley.
I loved this book!  Huge thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for this latest (#7) in the Enola Holmes series, by Nancy Springer.  I am late to the party since this is the first book it the series that I’ve read, but it works as a stand-alone.  Book #6 of the series was published over a decade ago!  This new book in the series follows the successful screening of the Enola Holmes Netflix film of 2020. (I must live in a cave with no electricity or internet, otherwise I would not have to wait for my sister to tell me what’s on the telly, whenever we discuss a book that I loved).

Enola is the younger (still) fifteen-year-old sister of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes.  The book opens with a brief intro of the character and her background, and then gallops off (double entendre intended) into a fun, briskly paced mystery and historical romp that works well for Middle School-Aged, Young Adults, and Young at Heart Adults (like me).

Our heroine, Enola, doesn’t fall far from the tree and is endowed with her own deductive abilities as well as many of her older brother’s brilliant detective skills.  In this case, a woman visits the Baker Street dwelling of Sherlock.  Enola, who is attending her brother, immediately takes to the woman and promises to help her.  The woman, Tish (aka Letitia) seeks Holmes’ assistance in finding her twin sister, Felicity.  Tish believes that Felicity has disappeared or is otherwise indisposed – despite her brother-in-law Cad’s laconic letter informing her that Felicity took suddenly ill and died (and by the way here is an urn with her ashes…).  Tish does not believe that her sister died, and claims that as a twin, she would have sensed her sister’s death if it were true.

Now the scene is set for the investigation and exciting adventure in this historic, atmospheric mystery. There is much undercover subterfuge as Enola, together with her good friend Tewky (from an earlier novel), Sherlock, and Tish work together to find out what really befell Felicity at the hands of (her lecherous) Cad (of a husband), the Earl of Dunhench.

I loved the prose, which contributed to the historical ambience of the novel. I loved the feisty and adventurous Enola, at once a hellion, escaping out of second story windows or driving a buggy being led by a crazy, wild horse named Jezebel, and other times, dressed in ‘a russet delaine trimmed with muted gold, replete with gloves and parasol, and ravishing a hat in the latest fashion worn on the back of the head tilted up to peak in front with a froth of autumn-coloured flowers tucked underneath the brim’, described by Sherlock as “like a frigate in need of a figurehead”.

Although there is a much humor in this novel there are disturbing descriptions of the conditions in insane asylums of the period – nothing we haven’t read before or seen in numerous other period pieces, but disturbing never-the-less.

I’m so excited to have six earlier novels to look forward to reading…and judging from the success of the television movie, I’m guessing there will be more Enola Holmes adventures to be read in the future.
I was truly delighted to see that another Enola Holmes was published. This novel was just as enjoyable as her previous ones. The first part of the book was a short review of Enola’s upbringing and all her adventures. The second part was devoted to her solving her new case of a twin’s death. With the help of Tewky, Sherlock, Dr. Watson, and the twin’s sister, Enola devices a bizarre scheme to solve the case.

Thanks to St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley, I was able to enjoy Enola’s latest animated adventure.
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Enola Holmes is back with a brand new case. When a young woman, Letitia Glover comes to Sherlock for help desperate to discover the fate of her twin sister it is Enola who takes the case. All Letitia has is a letter from her sister's husband claiming she died, but Letitia isn't convinced and soon the two women discover their is something far more sinister going on.

I have to admit that I had no idea that this was a book series until I saw this title on NetGalley. So obviously, first chance I get I will be reading the other books in this series. I was a bit skeptical at first as I am of a lot of stories that take classic characters and give them siblings or new siblings that never existed before but I found myself charmed and captivated by this story. Enola is wonderful and while smart as Sherlock definitely stands apart from him.

I also enjoyed the mystery in this one quite a bit even if I had it figured out before Enola did (the curse of reading too many mystery novels). The pace kept the mystery going so there was no real chance for me to get bored, instead, I was engaged the whole time and disappointed when it came to an end.

Whether you're a long-time fan of this series or a new one like me and in need of a fun and light mystery I definitely recommend this book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
I received an ARC of the new entry to this series from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

It's so wonderful to visit Enola again!   She's still terribly clever and now she's working a case with Sherlock. trying to find out the fate of a woman's twin sister.  While The Black Barouche doesn't have the same excitement of the prior books, it kept my interest.  And, as always, I love the witty sarcastic banter between Enola & Sherlock.

I'm sure that Enola's (and Ms. Springer's) fans will be very happy.
ENOLA HOLMES AND THE BLACK BAROUCHE by Nancy Springer
“Enola!”  One can almost hear the exasperation in the great Sherlock’s voice as he begins to work with his talented sister, who is competent alone, as her name backwards indicates, but who is even more effective with allies.  She, and we, are amused at her tormenting of her stuffy older brother, and really it’s for his own good.  He can’t succumb to melancholy when his sister leads him into exciting cases.
With additional help from the Marquess of Tewkesbury (from the first book of the series) and Dr. Watson, they follow the trail in aid of a young typist who is sure her twin sister can’t be dead or she would know it.  There are facts of women’s lack of power and position that will infuriate, leavened by the humorous antics of a horse named Jezebel, and enlightened with a reference to the play A DOLL’S HOUSE and details of disguise.
This is a book I could not put down, and I’m so glad the series is continuing.
Pub. date is in August, which allows time to read earlier books, but you wouldn’t have to.
Suitable for, but not limited to, younger readers.  Good YA books are really for all ages.
4 out of 5 stars - If you ask me, I'll tell you to read it (but read the others in the series first!)

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press - Wednesday Books for this advanced reader's copy.

I was extremely excited that the popularity of the Enola Holmes movie on Netflix had apparently caused a desire to restart the Enola Holmes series of books!

I really enjoyed this re-start, which allowed Enola to work together with Sherlock on a new case, rather than working in the shadows.

Enola and Sherlock are hired to find the location of Felicity, wife of Earl of Dunhench. They're hired by Felicity's twin sister Leticia, who says she was informed of her sister's death by the Earl and she didn't believe it. After a lot of interesting twists and turns, the case is solved..... but not necessarily in the way that they all agreed upon.
Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche by Nancy Springer is an excellent historical fiction mystery that is a great addition to this wonderful long-standing series.

This book starts off where the previous installment ended, however this one feels newer, fresher, and almost like another jumpstart of a new generation. It is also labeled under YA, however has a grittier and darker aspect and will appeal to adults as well. I still enjoyed it immensely, but as the series suggests, it does involve intrigue, mystery, murder, and detective plots.

Enola is the younger sister of the famous Detective Sherlock Holmes, and I love that she gets her time to shine. She is smart, feisty, fiery, brazen, but classy. She does take quite a few risks, but in this case that she takes on, it pays off.

A thrilling, gripping, and engaging read that I highly recommend. I look forward to the next book in this series.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.
The Netflix adaption has brought so many new fans to this series, and handselling them with the promise "the books are SO MUCH better" has been a delight. Getting to say, "Another one is coming soon" is an even bigger delight.

The great power of Enola Holmes is that the common "enemy" throughout the series are the constraints put on women and girls. "Moriarty" for Enola is the corset, symbol of all that would bind, silence, constrict, and diminish women's lives, and her mission is to free herself and others from this overwhelming social force. "The Black Barouche" has all of the fun of series - chases, crimes, ciphers, disguises, fashion, and friendships - in an exciting additional adventure solving the supposed deaths of 2 young wives.