Cover Image: How Not to Fall in Love

How Not to Fall in Love

I had really high hopes for this rom com, but it did not deliver for me.
I really liked the start and enjoyed reading the first few chapters. Harper in the bridal shop with the first bridezilla was funny. After that it went downhill for me. This is just me. I did not empathise with the characters after. Harper lost belief in love because a boy broke her heart at camp? She is a teenager, she cannot really expect a summer fling ( a few days basically) to last a life time. Theo is the typical airhead boy, who actually believes in love and fairytale ending? Their agreement to help each other also didn't resonate with me.
How Not to Fall in Love is a light, fluffy, friends to lovers, teen romance story.
The characters were likable and relatable. The plot was a little predictable, but that didn't make it less enjoyable.
It was a quick and easy read, and though I am likely not the intended target audience, I enjoyed it well enough.
Good summer read!
This was such a cute book and is perfect for a YA romance. Great coming of age love story!

Get this book for your older teen kids or friends!
I do not typically like friends-to-lovers romance books, because they leave out all of the parts of the romance that make them so fun to read. But this story did in a way that still made it enjoyable.
This was a cute and fun rom-com with the skeptical Harper who thinks love is a marketing tool and her bff Theo who fall in love at the drop of a hat and after his umpteenth breakup, Harper decides to teach him how to not fall in love. I really enjoyed how Harper was just so conflicted throughout the book and how sometimes I just wanted to yell at them to just talk to each other and quit making assumptions that are wrong. So in the process of trying to teach Theo to not fall in love she ends up falling in love herself.

Thanks to Clarion Books and Netgalley for the complimentary copy of this book in e-book form. All opinions in this review are my own.
This is a fun little book! I was looking forward to this one after reading the blurb, and I'm glad that it lived up to expectations!
This is definitely one of those novels where the ending is obvious from miles away, but we know we'll have a fun journey in the process. Like friends-to-lovers? This one is perfect.
This is my first time reading a YA Romance book. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. At first I had to go back and look to see if it was YA, because it felt like an adult level book. And then the further the plot developed the more the book felt like a YA novel that felt very much like a middle school drama as opposed to some of the YA novels I have come to love that feel like they are more mature in topic and writing style.

This book's trope was friends to lovers. It was predictable and could be seen a mile away. While this is true of a lot of romance novels, the connection between the two characters felt forced and contrived. It did not feel realistic or genuine.

Thanks to Net Galley for the gifted e-copy of this book.
This was a cute, entertaining read. The tropes were cute and Theo was all sorts of adorable. I wasn’t a fan of the love triangle (I rarely am) but I loved the characters and look forward to reading more by the author.
Harper doesn’t believe in love and romance. Her best friend Theo, on the other hand, is a hopeless romantic. After yet another heartbreak for Theo, Harper offers to teach him how not to fall in love. He agrees but with one caveat: Harper has to prove she can date without falling in love herself. But holding her end of the bargain ends up being a bit more challenging than she anticipated.

This was such a charming YA love story filled with wedding dresses, medieval tournaments, and SAT words. I loved Harper and Theo’s friendship, and how it progressed throughout the story. This one is definitely predictable so don’t go in looking for a big surprise, but it is a sweet journey to get to the end. I really enjoyed that this book had no unnecessary conflict - really all of the conflict was internal within the character’s own personal battles with their feelings (which is so accurate for teenage feelings). I really enjoyed this one more than I expected to!

Thanks to Clarion Books for the advanced copy!
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the it was friends to more. I also like this book had a fun job setting, set in a wedding shop. I thought this book was it bit on the messy side. I also wish we would have gotten both characters pov. But i enjoyed this book. I thought it was fun read. I also really liked the lead as well. It was quick read, I also liked this book more then this author previous book!
What a cute, funny, and sweet young adult romance this book was! Really enjoyed "How No to Fall in Love".
*Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

This book has such a sweet story. Although the trope of friends to lovers is not new, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey along the way. Harper is your typical 'love does not exist' girl however the way in which her character changes their arc is lovely to read. I'm a big believer of the idea of being with your best friend so I loved the story. I get that perhaps this trope may not be for everyone so for all of those --- fair warning.

There weren't any real conflicts/villains in the story however so in that aspect, the progression was a little slow. It was refreshing to see that the real conflict was the characters coming to their own realizations however and that was new. All in all, a lovely read if you enjoy friendship turns to lovers stories with cute banter, coming to realizations type of stories, this one is for you!
I knew this was friends to lovers; however, I started to doubt because at the 50% mark, although we could see the slight jealousy between the two over the others dating life and the fact that they were now more aware of each other, I loved her and Felix. They were so sweet, and I saw their relationship as more robust, while she and Theo weren't given enough time in this book, so it lacked lustre to me.

With more attention, I would have loved this book a lot more as the beginning was so cute and charmed me, but it lost it.
How Not to Fall in Love is a friends to lovers YA starring Harper who works at her mother's bridal shop and her best friend Theo. Theo has been unlucky in love, where he comes on way too strong with girls and they break up with him only a few week in. Harper has never dated and wants to help Theo so he stops getting his heart broken. So they agree - Harper with teach Theo how not to fall in love and Harper will start dating. But instead, Harper and Theo start to get closer and lines start to blur...

This one was fun. I read Jacqueline's first as well and what I've learned is that she really likes love triangles. Which is fine for those who love them, but I'm ambivalent at best about that trope. I didn't love it in her first book but wanted to give this one a try anyway. Whereas I did enjoy it more that the first, I still can't get behind the love triangle. Other than that, I have no complaints about this one. Harper and Theo were adorable and I was rooting for them from the beginning. I love nerdy, awkward boys and friends to lovers so I was in my happy place with this one.

Definitely recommend if you aren't the type of reader that really hates love triangles, because I did really feel bad for the guy Harper blew off for Theo - even though I seriously shipped Theo and Harper.

**Thank you to HMH Books for Young Readers and Netgalley for an early copy in exchange for an honest review**
I didn't realize this was YA romance until I started reading it, and normally I would go in expecting to hate it because I generally do not enjoy YA romance. That being said, I did find myself enjoying this book. Something about it brought me back to being in high school and being in love with your best friend. It had me emotionally involved the whole way through and I found myself actually caring about the couple getting together. I liked how it was slow burn and the couple didn't get together till the end of the book. I don't think I have ever read a best friends to lovers trope based book before but I found I really like it and will be looking for this trope in romances I read in the future. If you are looking for a light and easy romance read I would definitely give this a go, but keep in mind that it is YA so the spice level is mild and they are juniors/seniors in high school.
How Not To Fall In Love by Jacqueline Firkins

Harper works in her mum's bridal shop and has seen enough of the wedding world to have become a total love cynic. Her best friend and neighbour, Theo, is a hopeless romantic and is always getting his heart broken. So Harper and Theo come up with a plan - Theo will let Harper teach him how to date without giving his heart away, but only if Harper can prove that she can date without falling in love.

The story of Harper and Theo follows a well worn path - friends to lovers, the boy next door, the reformed love cynic - but OMG it does it well.

The characters are relatable, loveable and fun.

The reasons for Harper's cynicism is believable and understandable. The friendship between Harper and Theo feels real and their twists and turns to love may end up happily ever after but not in a way that makes you feel overloaded by sweetness..

Definitely a recommended read for lovers of YA romance.

Thanks to NetGalley and Clarion Books for the review copy of this book.
A huge thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book. I am voluntarily leaving a review, all opinions are my own.

This book was so cute. I loved Harper and despite her being blind to certain things, it felt real. Everything came together in a way that thrilled me, but there were some realistic bumps along the way.

I flew through this book in what would’ve been one sitting, but ended up being two. It was so cute, I had to know how it all played out.

I definitely want to check out other books by this author because I loved the way she writes. Overall, a very cute romance, and a very quick read.
**3.5 Stars**

"...This morning was good fun. The bride came in with inspiration pics of a fluffy, organza ball gown that would fill an aisle. Twenty-seven dresses later, she decided on a knee-length satin sheath. This is the world I work in.”

“You make stocking canned goods seem like a pretty sweet gig.”

“Do canned goods have surly bridesmaids and picky mothers?”

Felix laughs. “Um, no. They generally arrive unaccompanied.”

“Then you definitely have the better job.”

I knew how the plot/book was going to play out by the time I got to the second chapter, it was very predictable (at least for me, but I read a TON, but an actual upper teen (the book deals a lot with sex and sexual urges so I reccomend for the older more mature teens to read this) YA reader might not since that is who this book is geared for anyway) I still found the journey to be cute and entertaining with a solid HEA. While I feel like the overall point of the book was to be a YA contemporary romance, I will say my absolute favorite things about the book were the two female relationships here- between Harper and her mom, and the one between Harper and her female friend Pippa. Both of these relationships were totally open, full of hard conversations and support no matter what and I loved seeing these in a YA book- we need more positive female relationships in YA, in my opinion.

Harper overall went through a nice personal growth, being able to see the good and bad in things instead of her negative outlook previously, so this was a good example too of a coming of age story. There were a lot of positives to come out of this story and while a HEA is not super realistic for teens, I feel like this was a pretty honest portrayal of relationships and feelings- and spoiler alert, I enjoy a book with a happy ending.
I received an advanced copy of the novel from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

This was a cute rom-com type YA novel about two best friends who don't have the best of luck with love. Harper is jaded and does not think love really exists, even when she is surrounded by it working in her mother's wedding dress shop. Theo, Harper's childhood best friend and neighbor, very much believes in love and falls in love.....a lot. Harper is frustrated with seeing her friend always falling in love and getting hurt and Theo is annoyed with his friend never giving love a chance, so they devise a plan. Theo will teach Harper how to let love in and Harper will teach Theo how to NOT fall in love every time.

It was funny and cute and the supporting characters, particularly Pippa, is the BEST and hysterical! Harper and Theo's story feels predictable for the most part, although there is a couple of chapters that throws you for a SERIOUS loop and makes it seem more realistic.....then summarily falls into the typical rom com happily ever after situation.

The one really big issue I have with this novel, and I have with a lot of teen novels/shows, is the sort of flippant attitude about sex. The fact that the parents seem to have no problem their teens are having sex and spending the night with each other. It seems weird, not realistic and I do not support the flippant attitude towards sex. Teens and kids are already sexualized too early as is and I do not like when novels make it normalized. It's different if they are in their 20s and older, but not in their teens.