Cover Image: Big Brain Book

Big Brain Book

So much interesting information, but this is too text heavy. It feels more like school book than a kid will seek out.
This book was like a warm beverage for the soul. I was sucked in and could not put it down! The concept was so unique, I loved this book.
Nonfiction book that was written well. I love that the illustrations have a lot of details. It’s also has a lot of content so it’s very helpful. It can be used by a wide range of readers- maybe Kinder to 6th grade.
I found the Big Brain Book: How It Works and All Its Quirks by Leanne Boucher Gill to be an amazing book focused on psychology and neuroscience. The vivid illustrations and well-organized layout of the book along with the presentation of fascinating – and at times complex – information go together effectively. Appropriate for older children to adults.  #BigBrainBook #NetGalley
First up, a big thank you for allowing me to read this book.
Sadly, I have had to give up. As I have said before in earlier reviews and on other places, I have a hard time reading lots of text on screens (PC/phone/tablet). I thought that this book would have less text because it was a kid's book, and most children's non-fiction books I have read feature some text but mostly rely on images. However this one heavily features text (in tiny font) with some images. After 6 pages my head was done. Yep, that is how fast it can go.
If I ever find this book in a library (though probably translated in Dutch as English books rarely get added here) I would definitely want to read it though because what I did read was interesting and done in a fun way. I really like the illustrations. That is also why I would rate this one 4 stars from what I read.
Thank you for the chance to read through this book in exchange for honest feedback! First, I will say that the obvious strength of this book is in its clever design. I like the modern graphics, easy to follow layout, and the utilization of space. It isn’t too cartoonish, nor is it too textbook-y. It fits in that middle section quite nicely. There is a LOT of info in this. I didn’t think it would be as long as it was. There are some sections that include some advanced terms / words that may suggest this book’s reading level is a bit higher than I originally thought when I requested the book, but nevertheless it is a good, solid primer into the science of our brains and nervous system. I like that there are activities and resources included as well!
As a former science teacher, this book is great! The little activities and thought-provoking questions are engaging. The layout is pleasing with bright colors, illustrations, and creative details. How they break down complex concepts with labeled pictures and relatable tie-ins. I like the interviews with doctors and personal connections; with grandparents losing memory or behavior after a stroke.

As I read through many parts, I was trying to figure out interest level. Some of the vocabulary seems rather complex for elementary ages (maybe even some early middle grades), but yet visually it’s directed more towards that level. It discusses Civics classes, which was not taught at the middle school I worked at. Maybe middle school to through early high school. Also, the use of the US customary unit, that made me cringe. I understand it’s so students in the US can relate; they have no connection between pounds and kilograms or inches/feet and centimeters/meters – unless they convert them – but we discuss in science class how we use the International System of Units.

Thank you Netgalley and APA for this ARC. I will definitely be purchasing this for my library! Those old brain books have nothing on this one!
Well this seemed a success to me – I only hope there is enough budget amongst our educators for such a book, geared at the upper few years of a secondary school.  Here we cover a heck of a lot about the brain – what it does when we sleep, how we experience taste and the rest of the senses, what pain is for, and a heck of a lot more.  At least half the time we get an experiment we can join in on, or further self-research, to add to what's on the page, and every chapter ends with a quick recap for confirmation and revision of what it's covered – yes, how we learn and learn better is also a topic.  It's a good book, covering a heck of a lot.  I would point out that it might not have been quite so big, as two cartoonish pages to launch each eight-page chapter is too much wasted space.  I might also predict a few people wondering quite who the audience for this actually is – the vocabulary and level of complexity reached at times seems beyond a secondary level, and yet the way each chapter starts by forcing us to recognise ourselves as part of the subject seems quite childish in comparison.  Those caveats aside, I certainly wish this well.