Cover Image: Summer Sons

Summer Sons

Thank you to Netgalley and Tordotcom for the digital ARC.

Above any complaints I have about the book, I cannot get out of my head that Mandelo's prose is up to the task they set out for themselves. The first third of this book is unrelenting, pessimistic, and visceral grief: Andrew, desperate to "solve" the apparent suicide of his best friend and all-encompassing locus of his life, wallows and fumbles even the basics of human function and decency.

I think there will be a reader for whom that sounds unenticing, and they are probably right in their own case. To me, that grief was grounded in moments that were staggering in their authenticity: notably, Andrew unable to cope, falling into Eddie's bed, and mourning, comforted into bed sheets that retain Eddie's smell; or wearing his clothes because "it's what we always did"... these little moments that seem stereotyped or rote but are written with such beauty and bookended in fever dreams that draw not just from southern gothic tradition but (in my experience) the minds of the bereaved as well.

The second third of the novel only eases up on the grief if you do not notice how Andrew's behaviours mirror what in the first third, he imagined Eddie's behaviour would have been as he tries to fill the half of him that is missing. The final third fulfills the promise of a modern southern gothic horror with all the emotional trappings of the gothic and the romantic.

There are some small story strands that are weaker than a novel so steeped in beautiful grief; West's story never felt invested in and was half-baked; it either deserved more time than the exposition it was given or felt unnecessarily heavy-handed and surface-level in a book dripping in depth.

Mandelo is a beautiful writer, and I cannot wait to read more from them. Summer Sons deserves to easily top any list of fantasy, romance, and lgbtq novels this year. This is my favourite novel of the year so far and it will be hard to unseat it, I think; I devoured it in a day. As the years go on, I don't have very many books that I feel like I want to re-read again, but I know I will re-read this again one day. Absolutely 100%.
This was a very interesting book. Basically two best friends, are bonded forever due to a supernatural event that the story drops tidbits about until the end. Years pass and one of the friends commits suicide. The remaining friend moves into the deceased friends house, drives his car, befriends his friends, and goes to his school, with the intent of figuring out what happened to his friend. Complicating things is a wrath that shows up at the worst times (like during a car race). This reminded me of a mix between Flannery O'Connell, Fast and the Furious and The Grudge. The author had a very unique voice and I'm excited to see what they write next. 4 out of 5! Very good book!
If anyone is looking for a gothic queer horror book, look no further. I will be running, not walking, to get this when it comes out. The overwhelming sense of dread throughout the entirety of the book and never knowing who to trust made it difficult for me to put down. I cannot wait to delve more into Lee Mandelo's books. They are such a fantastic storyteller.
Summer Sons. It's a ghost story, but it's also as cliche as the phrase is a coming of age story about two boys and their strange and confusing life they had together but with ghosts.

I'm struggling to write a proper review for this title because reading this book just felt like a constant struggle between wanting to sit down and read it vs the book itself being so very slow in spots that it left me very uninterested in continuing the story. It isn't a very long book, but god, it felt like it was at points. That isn't to say that the novel is terrible it just wasn't for me and perhaps I require a reread to maybe change my initial opinion but as it stands it was just okay for me. I think this story would have been more successful as a novella rather than a full length book. Perhaps that would have helped with all the dead space and long drawn out moments that seemed to go on forever and had my interest in reading the story wandering because of it.

So the story has a very straight forward plot at first glance: two childhood friends Andrew (our protagonist) and Eddie who up until they began university were inseparable and bonded for life suddenly find themselves separated with Eddie uprooting to Nashville and leaving Andrew behind. Tragedy occurs just before Andrew decided to join Eddie and he is informed that Eddie had suddenly committed suicide and left his inheritance and the mystery of what happened to him to Andrew. The overreaching plot is Andrew trying to discover the truth of the strange circumstances surrounding Eddie's death and navigating the life that he was living while Andrew was away - oh, and there are ghosts too.

My main issue with the book was the pace of the plot, and the complete unlikable and boring nature of almost every single character, except maybe like one...maybe. The overall plot after a certain time became VERY repetitious and very uninteresting because it took forever to get to a point that would do something to further the plot - pairing that with having a very boring and stale main character it made the struggle to continue even worse. The 'mystery' of the story aka who killed Eddie, was not great either. I predicted almost every major plot point very early on and found the official reveal of each thing to be very disappointing. I wish the supernatural part of the story would have been just slightly more engaging and more involved. I found myself yearning for more of that story, and really only received that content at the very end of the novel.

I appreciated the additions of the bits of queer content. I was pleasantly surprised by one reveal that I did not expect but I like felt was done and incorporated into the story quite nicely. I have a love/hate feeling toward the main romance of the story - I didn't hate it but I also didn't get attached to the relationship at all. It was very much a background thing that didn't get much attention and maybe if it had I might have had more feeling towards it but I suppose that would have not worked with the overall story. I appreciated the journey that Andrew went through in regards to his sexuality and identity throughout the story and even though I ultimately found Andrew to be your typical plain protagonist he redeemed himself a little  towards the end of the novel when he had some very minimal but nice character development which his character desperately needed. He lacked an interesting personality for the majority of the novel which made it hard to be in his point of view for the duration of the story because he was just...not interesting to read about.

A positive thing to speak on is the prose and general sense of Lee Mandelo's writing is incredibly beautiful. The descriptions of the Nashville wild life and the creepy unsettling moments that Andrew experiences came across very nice with respect to the author's ability to put you in the moment and situation and really have you feel what is happening. That was a highlight for me and one of the main reasons I was able to continue and ultimately finish the story. The final three chapters were exciting,  which was something I desperately wishing for to happen, and the final scene with Andrew and Eddie was heart breaking and beautiful. The writing really shined in the last few chapters.

All in all, for me this would be a novel that I've read but I will ultimately forget about. It didn't leave any kind of lasting impression on me that would make me want to go out and read it again. It was a fine novel and I'm sure other people will read it and love it, but it just wasn't for me.

Thanks to Netgalley for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest opinion.
Easily my favorite book of the year so far! I was drawn into the story right from the first few pages. The characters were completely captivating and the ways in which they interacted really made the story come to life. I loved the suspenseful buildup to an ending that played out in a way that I could never have expected. Even after the conclusion of the novel, I keep thinking about the characters I grew to love. I’m looking forward to recommending this book to everyone!
I am at a loss for words at the end of this book. It was torturous, highly emotional, and spookily atmospheric. I want to stay in this world of old world money, elite colleges and blood curses, oh man.
In trying to review Summer Sons, the thing that comes to mind first and resoundingly is something I read in someone else’s review whilst attempting to ascertain my own feelings on it, which can basically be summed up to: this book is kind of all over the place, and when it’s good, it’s really good, but in some ways, it’s rough. My issues stem from a couple of different areas. First and foremost, while I think everyone’s enjoyment of a book is subjective and there’s no such thing as a “good” or “bad” book, there were many instances throughout the book where I didn’t know what the fuck was going on purely choreographically. The narration would describe somebody being physically affectionate in a certain way, and in my mind I’d be like “wait, how’d they do that if they were just on the other side of the room?” or something like that. In a more concrete example, there’s a professor character who I pictured as being maybe in her late thirties, maybe early forties throughout the book, until, somewhere in the last 25%, she’s described as “pushing 60”. Considering this was an advanced copy, it’s possible some of these things were clarified or edited in the finished copy, but if not, these sorts of technical issues are the kind of thing that I would consider as close as you can get to objective critiques. It’s essentially the author’s entire job to effectively communicate the ideas in their head to the page, and while much of that is subjective (connecting to characters, enjoying the atmosphere, interest in specific plot beats, etc), I feel like things such as painting a clear picture of what’s going on in a scene and characters ages is pretty base stuff. Not that it’s easy, just that it’s their job. That said, there were also moments of prose that were so incredibly lyrical and descriptive, the atmosphere of this book absolutely oozes from the pages in a way that sticks with me even weeks after finishing it. My other issues are much more subjective. For one, I found myself far more interested in development of relationship dynamics and characters than the plot of the mystery of Eddie’s death. I loved Riley and the casual rep of his poly relationship and his no-bullshit attitude towards Andrew’s denial. I was really intrigued by the dynamic between Andrew and Sam. But every time I felt like these characters were hitting any sort of stride, it’d be interrupted by Andrew closing himself off to track down another lead about Eddie. Which I realize would be the priority in a situation like his, but I think that just comes back to my real problem with this book: I don’t wanna read about dead gays. My favorite trope is queer best friends to lovers, and I’ve always known that any tragic variation on this, ie gay guy being in love with straight best friend, both being queer but one not feeling the same, and most certainly one dying before either of them can sort out their feelings, was just not gonna work for me. Not to mention I just generally don’t care for book about grief. This is no fault of the author. I should’ve been more careful about what I requested, but I was sucked in by the promise of a southern setting, and that gorgeous cover. I absolutely think queer authors should be not only allowed but encouraged to tell whatever stories they want. The more stories being told the more likely people are to find stories they can truly connect with, and queer people should never be relegated to side characters already in committed relationships, or perfect little cinnamon roles who never do anything wrong. The existence of the bury your gays trope should not prevent any person ever from writing about dead gays. However, I can also understand that that subject matter being explored generally does not work for me. Both of these things can be true. With all that being said, I wouldn’t be opposed to reading a sequel, were one to be published, but it would depend on what the plot was going to be, seeing as it’s wrapped up pretty conclusively here, excepting the potential to further explore Andrew’s ghostly power. Netgalley asks when you submit feedback if you’d consider buying a finished copy for yourself and honestly, yeah I would. I love this cover, and I could even potentially see myself rereading this one day.
Thank you to Macmillan-Tor/Forge and Netgalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
A swealtering Southern gothic that will haunt you with shadows at the corner of your vision.

This is one of my most anticipated reds of the year, and it did not let me down. A queer supernatural suspense horror mixed with elements of dark academia? Honestly, I couldn't want anything more.

At the end of the day, this book is really dealing with grief and accepting ones self, and in Andrew's case he is accepting the fact that he is queer (unspecified sexuality). The horror bits creep in and out like a good haunting should, climaxing at the end where everything is dark and you'll be on the edge of your seat.

If I had to compare this to another book/series I could call it The Raven Boys, but make it adult and fill it with the heat of the Southern sun and more iced coffee than one person should be allowed to drink. There's fast cars, queer rep, complicated and messy characters. Andrew's trauma and grief are at the front and center of this novel, as everyone around him's orbits his story as he tries and figure out what happened to his best friend, brother, and (not official) boyfriend.

The take on queerness in this was a new perspective I haven't really seen before. Which was refreshing and wonderful, even if it was wrapped in an eldritch skeletal claw of a package. It's a book that is hard to put a start rating in (but I had to because that's how Goodreads works). It's hard to star rate this because my thoughts are so mixed with emotion on how I felt about it. I loved it, but I also criticize it because I loved it.

My only real gripe is that I wish it was longer, or part of a duology. I felt it need more time to unravel the supernatural elements of the story. It's one of those cases where I felt like the author has a full understanding of what's happening, but it just didn't all make it to the page. In some ways, the lack of clear knowledge fits in with Andrew's journey, because he doesn't fully know. I think it also meandered a bit, but that might be because I was expecting a full gothic horror, but really it was a contemporary story about grief hidden underneath the surface, with broad strokes of dark academia.

This is definite a book any fan of supernatural horror should read. It's haunting and grisly, with moments that will leave you shivering and sweating like you are under the heat of the sun yourself.

Wow. Blown away. Slow burn for sure, but the whole queer southern gothic spooky vibe REALLY works. This was hands down one of the best novels I have ever read. It was spooky and dark and mournful in the way all gothic horror should be, but also gritty and erotic and captivating. The imagery is beautiful and real, and thank all that is holy for some realistic queer representation. Added bonus: it was hot af. This is a prime read for those who want to take their time and let that horror sink real deep into their bones.
Full review to come - Mandelo creates a rich, intoxicating atmospheric story that’s every bit sweaty and eerie as a southern night.
I gave up after 30% as very little happened and I grew tired of the moping and repetitive antics of main character Andrew. Fair enough, Andrew is recovering from the death of his best friend/boyfriend Eddie who recently committed suicide. After his death Andrew inherits Eddie's house and cash (alot!) and tried to piece together what happened. He meets his friends, attends his college and is horrible to just about everybody close to him in a book which was populated by highly unlikable characters. In the background there was a supernatural element which connected the two men, but it lurked in the background , and I could not be bothered waiting for it to mature. I really wanted to like this book, but it became such a slog I could not face picking it up again. If your main character is going to bitch 24/7 and do nothing but feel sorry for themselves it just becomes a downer.
Andrew thought he knew all there was to know about his friend Eddie- until he turned up dead of an apparent suicide just days before he was supposed to meet him and reconnect. Now the heir to everything Eddie owned, he's looking for answers for all the questions Eddie's sudden and inexplicable death have left for him including an explanation for the Haunt that's been riding him ever since Eddie died and answers for why Eddie had been digging up information about the shared past he swore they'd both been running from. Lost in his grief, torn by their past, and furious with his current circumstances but adamant that he'll discover what happened to Eddie, Andrew's in over his head in more ways than he can imagine.

Set in the area of Nashville Tennessee and featuring both the academic world of Vanderbilt and the rough and ragged rural party life of many young men and women of Appalachia this book is an absolutely intense blend of Southern Gothic, fast cars, wild youth, and the darker aspects of the supernatural, particularly those created by the very real ghosts of our personal pasts and those of our ancestors. It also has plenty to say about the high cost of being consumed by our inner darkness, the need to avoid confronting trauma, and becoming consumed by the world around us. This book absolutely grips the reader from the very beginning pulling us along on Andrew's journey as he tries to make sense of what Eddie's left for him in a life so perfectly planned in which he is both terribly absent and inexplicably present in all things. Yearning, grief, control, desire, agony, depression, angst, and trials all  come off the page and make the reader want to devour the book whole from beginning to end. I absolutely can't exaggerate how compelling this read was and how very satisfied I was by the end of it. I'm really hoping to find many more novels forthcoming from this author and highly recommend this one to readers looking for a great gothic ghost story with depth, compulsion, and mystery.
SUMMER SONS is a southern gothic book, period. The sweltering, uneasy atmosphere, ever-present sense of foreboding, and vivid setting are all halmarks of the genre that Mandelo incorporates expertly. This is a dark read with a colorful cast of characters; I may not have connected with all of the characters--and I definitely couldn't root for the majority of them--but I was certianly charmed by all of them. If you're a fan of the gothic genre you may be able to unravel the "mystery" fairly early on in the book, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining. To me, what makes a good mystery isn't that it takes you by surprise but that it leaves you enough clues to figure if out for yourself. I also appreciate that this is a *queer* southern gothic story. The way Mandelo deals with homophobia and toxic masculinty immediately wiped out my fears of this being a cliche by-the-numbers "queer boy in the wrong part of a Red State" story.

Now for the not-so-positives: SUMMER SONS tends to drag at part; I blame how long it is. Parts could have been trimmed or cut out completely to make this a faster read. The liberal descriptions added to my overall enjoyment though so I can't complain too much.

Thank you to Lee Mandelo and Tor for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this boo! I will definitely be ordering this for my library.
I saw the synopsis for this one on the publisher’s instagram, late last summer, and I feel like I’ve been holding my breath, waiting for it, ever since.
Equal parts haunting dark academia and longing southern-gothic horror, this supernatural thriller gave me goosebumps. Repression and loss, codependency and grief all roll up into this possessive sort of yearning that made this story absolutely impossible to put down. It was just so expressively and atmosphericly written… you really FEEL every single thing on the page: the heat, the desire, the freedom of fast cars, the comfort in friends and found family, the desperate clinging to denial, and the release of self-acceptance. Everything I was hoping for and so, so much more. I’d absolutely suggest Summer Sons to anyone looking for a vulnerable, dark, twisted story, filled with unlikable and morally grey characters that you just can’t help but adore, doing unlikable and morally grey things that you just can’t help but hope they succeed at.
Reading this felt like putting a jigsaw puzzle together, all of my favourite pieces of all of my favourite stories coming together to make a wholly new image. Perfect. Absolutely loved this one and can’t wait to see what the author comes up with next.

CW: violence, death, substance abuse, driving under the influence, some homophobia,

🥃 a massive thank you to the amazing people at @raincoastbooks and @tordotcompub for the early e-copy. This was one of my most highly anticipated releases for the whole year and I’m so glad for the chance to have read it early.
DNF at 50%. Not a bad book at all, it's well written and intriguing, however I'm personally finding it hard to get through and forcing myself to finish may impact my liking of the book so I won't be continuing.
HIGHLIGHTS
~bruised boys and fast cars
~queer -yearning- haunting
~the poetry of masculinity
~no homo, but let me feed you my blood and make you mine
~I did not know ghostly/demonic possession was a kink but that’s a thing now

Take The Raven Cycle and give it shark-sharp teeth. Cross the result with All For the Game. Feed the result gasoline mixed with blood; watch to make sure it laps up every drop. Give it breath like a southern summer, thick and humid and hot as chrome left under sunlight. Make it a nest of bones and secrets and sighs. Let it sharpen its claws on your wrists. Give it your throat.

Do all that…and then scrap it all, because Summer Sons is wholly its own, and no comparisons can do justice to the rich, simmering, chilling ache that is this book.

The comparisons are inevitable. But they’re wrong.

I’ve followed Mandelo’s reviews and think-pieces for years and years, so it was a no-brainer to request Summer Sons when it showed up on Netgalley. I never doubted for a second that this was going to be good.

But it’s not good.

It’s motherfucking breathtaking.

Summer Sons is the kind of book that wraps its fingers around your heart and doesn’t let go; rich and raw and enthralling, an alchemy of the worldly and otherworldly that is pure, dark, thrilling magic. Mandelo’s prose is deft and merciless as a scalpel, soft and deceptive as silk; the heat is scorching, the yearning searing and savage. The pages run with desire so thick it drips like honey – until it gushes like blood.

This is a book that will drag you under.

The official description does a perfectly accurate job of setting the scene for you: this is, on the most superficial of levels, a murder-mystery – even if Andrew is the only one who believes Eddie’s suicide was somehow staged. But although I wouldn’t say the hunt for Eddie’s killer or killers is a secondary plotline – Andrew would never let that happen – it still isn’t close to the whole story.

Or maybe it is, in that Andrew’s hunt becomes as much about searching within himself for answers as it is looking for them without. He has to stalk his own shadow if he wants to unravel every secret; dig deep into memories he’s locked away, thoughts he’s never let himself think, instincts and hungers he’s refused to acknowledge, never mind looked at too closely. To discover what the truth is he has to figure out what it was, and oh, the razor-wire-and-velvet tangle of toxic masculinity and queer longing is such a fucking masterpiece.

Because fuck yes, this is queer. ‘Till death do us part’? Death can fucking try.

>>And he kept hearing Riley say he was your–on loop. What word should he put after? On paper, a sibling; in practice, something else. If Eddie had been Riley’s friend, he wasn’t that for Andrew. That friendship was a muted fraction of the real thing, the marrow-thing, that tied them together. Through the cavern and their hauntings since, through a life spent with Eddie keeping him leashed but cared for at the same time, he couldn’t find a label that fit where he needed it to go. Maybe instead, just a hard stop: he was yours.<<

And honestly, I think that’s where the horror is; not in the ghosts and curses and magic dark and tangled as ancient roots – although we have all of that and more – but in the toxic, intoxicating relationship Andrew had with Eddie, continues to have with his own sexuality. It’s as sensual as it is fucked-up, desperate and starving, terribly beautiful and beautifully terrible and oh, so willfully, adoringly blind. Of course Andrew is haunted by Eddie’s spectre; how could the grave part them? Even the reaper couldn’t untangle all the thorns and knots binding them together, suffocating Andrew even as he leans into them. When the haunting progresses to full-on possession, the reader can’t be surprised; it’s a foregone conclusion, an almost embarrassingly obvious metaphor for all the ways in which Andrew was and is possessed by his best friend. Eddie didn’t possess Andrew’s body in life, so he takes it in death – and maybe what’s terrifying is that the snarled-up, toxic masculinity they both grew up with finds that, literal ghostly possession, less frightening than two guys fucking.

There is so much to unpack here.

Mandelo’s prose has you smelling the burning rubber during the drag-racing, hearing the cicadas, sweating in the thick humidity of the story in your hands. It has your heart pounding and your stomach clenching and your knuckles turning white from holding the book so hard, torn between turning the pages as fast as you can and savouring every molasses-sweet word. It digs in deep and uncoils at a perfect pace; almost casually gutting the marble facade of academia to spill out the stinking backstabbing and racism in its guts; tearing open the macho bullshit and unthinking homophobia of a particular kind of asshole and prying out the emotions underneath, raw and pulsing. Summer Sons revels in the danger of razor-blade boys while calling them on their shit, subverting stereotypes about everything from the South to drug dealers while dealing with the reality of them.

And that reality’s not pretty, but damn is it compelling.

Summer Sons is more than I hoped for and everything I didn’t know to want. It’s been weeks since I finished reading it, weeks since I started drafting this review, and the story’s haunted me ever since. I want to read it again, and again, and again; I want it to be released already so I can talk about it with others who have read it. It’s so hard to put everything I feel about this book into words; I’m finding it impossible to distill down everything Summer Sons is into a neat little review for you. I have drafted and redrafted and this is as close as I’ve managed to come, and I know it’s still not good enough, but I don’t think I can do better. You’re just going to have to read Summer Sons for yourself.

This book is as sensual as it is terrifying, a Molotov cocktail in a beautiful perfume bottle, equal parts hot breath and bone-chilling cold. The mystery is as thick in the air as the humidity. It is luscious and skeletal, ozone and diesel and sweat and blood. It is brutal and it is decadent, hedonistic. It is exactly what it should be. It is perfect.

Preorder it immediately if you haven’t already.

(And someone still needs to write me an essay on the homoeroticism of being possessed by your best friend’s ghost, ‘kay? ‘Kay.)
When Andrew's best friend Eddie dies suddenly, Andrew is left with a sizable inheritance, a house in Nashville, a new roommate, a Dodge Challenger, and an angry revenant. Andrew knows that there is no way Eddie would have killed himself, no matter what others claim, and sets out to solve the mystery of Eddie's death by discovering exactly what Eddie was up to in the months before he died.
A Southern Gothic tale steeped in dark academia, Summer Sons is an exploration of friendship, death, ownership, inheritance, and what it means to be truly alive while managing to be a tantalizingly spooky ghost story at the same time.
Enjoyability 6/10

Eddie and Andrew have been best friends since childhood and did everything together until Vanderbilt, that is. Although they were both admitted into their program, Eddie started his six months earlier. Just as Andrew was about to join him, Eddie dies of an apparent suicide and leaves Andrew everything he owns, including a gruesome phantom that hungers for him and a deadly mystery with roots in the past.

I struggled to get into the book. The chapters felt so long, and the car racing plot didn't do it for me at all. I am glad I stuck around, though, as at around the 60% mark Summer Sons became everything I was hoping it would be - atmospheric, fast-paced, deliciously queer, intriguing, scary, tense, and gory.

The story was highly original, I loved the mythology that Mandelo created, and the setting was fantastic! The Southern Gothic vibes gave me the best chills.

While the main characters, especially Andrew, Eddie, and Sam, were fantastic, some characters entered and exited the book without much development. Though their contributions to the plot were crucial, they felt random.

I understand the length of the book is intrinsically connected to Andrew's arc. His coming-of-age story and overall excellent character development benefitted from the slow burn chapters. However, I can't help but think that had this been a novella, it would have been phenomenal! A real gothic horror masterpiece. That being said, I still really enjoyed it and recommended it because the third act is pure genius!

Disclaimer: I first read it as an ARC. In exchange for an honest review, I am thankful to Macmillan-Tor/Forge, Lee Mandelo, and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of Summer Sons.
When Andrew loses his best friend Eddie, he is paralyzed not only with grief but with understanding why. They have done everything together since they were children, until recently. Eddie starts his graduate studies early, even though they planned to go together. Eddie has been secretive, vague, and distant, and Andrew was hurt, but he still cannot process the fact that Eddie is really gone.
Andrew is sure there has to be more to the story than the official determination. He decides to find out what Eddie was doing, who his friends were, and maybe more importantly, who were his enemies. As Andrew stumbles from place to place and person to person, he discovers that Eddie was keeping more than one dark secret.
To me, this book was a slow burn but in the best possible way. There were so many layers to this story. Grief, loss, ghosts, secrets, fast cars, dark academia, and coming to terms with your sexuality. I would be reading an almost ordinary passage when suddenly, the horror would intrude and I gasped more than once knowing something terrifying and evil was coming.
The ending was sad and hopeful at the same time if that makes sense. I thought about all the revelations long after I finished Summer Sons. The writing was beautiful and I felt as if I was right there next to Andrew, crying, sweating, and figuring out how to move on.4.5 stars.
Listen, I was in the middle of a few other books when I saw a tweet describing Summer Sons and I immediately abandoned those books for this ARC that doesn't even come out until September. This book definitely won't be for everyone but it was perfect for me.

Summer Sons is that type of messy book that I immediately fall for. Its characters and relationships are so raw and so visceral that you're pulled in and can't get out. The plot, like the sweaty Tennessee summer it's set during, is thick with tension. The entire story you're waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen - a death, a punch, a kiss - until it's suddenly happening without warning. The writing is similar, equal parts beautiful and gruesome, and painstakingly describing every detail when all you want to know is what chaotic thing happens next.

If you couldn't tell yet, I loved it.