Cover Image: Not My Ruckus

Not My Ruckus

First I want to thank the author for giving me an advanced copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange of my honest review.

About the book, the plot it is really interesting but being honet I was getting bored by it, it needed something better, that keep everyone alert until the end..
This was incredibly well-written and well-executed for a debut novel and it kept me on the edge of my seat. Clare and Esther's story is riveting, heart-wrenching, and dark, which makes this book even more interesting, as I was expecting a "happily ever after" wrapped up in a little mystery. I wasn't expecting to bawl my eyes out. Loved it. Make sure to read the TWs before diving into this one though! It's a doozy, a brilliant, magnificent doozy.
This begins story with on two young queer girls growing up in 1980 with parent that are physically and mentally abusive. Clare who we discover has autism and epilepsy at the end of the book, something that I didn't realize was completely caught up in the mystery of the book. (Clare mom has a "car accident" ) Clare is trapped in abusive religious household While Esther lives with her acholic father but she desperately want to move and live with her grandparents.The writing was incredible in my opinion it keeped me wanting more. Went in to this book think it was a fluffy wlw story to be honest and was completely thrown way by this amazingly complex story of trauma tragedy and loss. I immediately feel in love with Clare she is such a resilient character. Esther was such completely dynamic.Clare can tell there is something wrong about her mom's car accident so decides to investigate when thing take a dark turn in the process recovers some dark family secrets and more.

I just discovered this a debut novel wow...
Also it's own voices as well as it inspired by the authors life...

Thank you netgally and the publisher for giving me a free copy of Not my Ruckus for an honest review.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review" oh, baby jesus. This is not a bad book but there is a lot of more triggering content, tho it was hard to read for me, i did like it and would consider rereading it in the future.
I’m going to be honest. I don’t like yo say I don’t liked a book. But this one was not for me.
Maybe it’s kind of entertaining but for another persons can be awesome.
i unfortunately had to dnf this book, i am sure so many other people will love this but it did not work for me or my taste in books, sorry!
I’ll be honest. If I had known exactly what this book was about and how it would go, I probably wouldn’t have read it. The subject matter got darker and darker as the plot continued on, but the first chapter had completely hooked me. I was quickly invested in the main character and wanted to see how it ended. I was also interested in the complex character relations. So once I started, I couldn’t really stop. It was like getting on a rollercoaster and realizing too late that you don’t really want to be on it.

I did enjoy this book though, hence my rating. I thought that the neurodiversity was included very smoothly and the twists and turns were very clever. The writing style actually reminded me a little of To Kill A Mockingbird, so if you like that book you may want to check this one out. Overall, this book was very well written and I enjoyed it, despite the fact that it was a lot darker than I was expecting. Thanks to the publisher for the review copy!
This was absolutely insane, incredibly well written, and very, very messed up. I went into this book looking for a fluffy romance novel, and that is NOT what I received (and frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way). It was dark, interesting, and I genuinely can't wait to see what this author does next.
This is one of the best books I’ve read so far this year. Even after the heavy themes of religious wrong doings, abuse, etc, this is an amazing story.

I felt really connected to the main character and really enjoyed the way the narrative is told. I enjoyed the book but the content warnings are a “highlight” . This makes up for an amazing read!
Thank you NetGalley for the copy of this book for review.

I don't like knowing too much about a book before I read it. I read the summary and even the content warnings and I thought I was prepared. My advice... always heed the content warnings!

I'll be honest and say that I couldn't complete the book at this stage. Blame the pandemic, blame my own need to read more hopeful books right now, blame anything you want.  What I did read was brilliantly written but tough to get through. There are a lot of triggers and dark issues. It felts like what the main character had to go through was relentless and I honestly was not emotionally able. I also am not sure that the summary correctly conveyed the darker nature of the book and could be presented a bit better to ensure readers are prepared.

That said I do want to return to this when I feel able so I'm still giving it a decent rating to reflect what I felt was good - if dark - writing.
First I would like to say thank you to NetGalley and the publisher Cinnabar Moth Publishing for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

I started Not My Ruckus with very little background knowledge on the novel other than it was in the LGBTQ+ section of NetGalley and it had a pretty cover. That’s usually a pretty good start for me. Importantly, I would recommend that you read the content warnings before starting it as there is a lot of subjects covered that could be triggering. It covers a lot of heavy subjects and I think could be quite upsetting for many readers.

We follow Clare as she navigates her teenage years in a 1980s USA. The entire novel is told through her eyes and although she is around aged 14 I felt that her actions and internal monologue represented those of a much younger girl. Perhaps this is due to a generational difference of how girls were educated in the 80s compared to now, but I was still surprised when I realised she was in high school and not younger. I found the depiction of puberty in girls almost cringe-y and almost obvious it had been written by a man that had not experienced it themselves. It had the embarrassing descriptions of female figure that as a queer woman I wouldn’t talk about my own or another woman’s body in that way.

As far as the plot, it felt almost never ending. Clare was hit with blow after blow that would easily be life-shattering, yet these issues were resolved within a matter of paragraphs. It felt unrealistic and somewhat ridiculous that it could be one girls life. Even with all these blows thrown at them I struggled to sympathise with any characters and couldn’t relate to many of their decisions.

Having said all of that, I still gave Not My Ruckus 2 stars. This is mostly because I applaud the author for addressing both neurodivergency and sexuality in a book. It is implied that our main character is epileptic and autistic which is confirmed by the author at the end. It also has mentions of her and side character Esther being lesbian, or possibly asexual. I only wish that these topics could have been addressed more openly in Clare’s narrative. I understand that with the historical setting it is unlikely she would have been diagnosed with either condition and their were plenty of taboos surrounding sexuality, however even in Clare’s internal monologue these subjects were brushed over. As a teenage girl I spent most of my time worrying about if I was ‘normal’ or not when it came to almost every action I took.

Overall I think Not My Ruckus is simply not the book for me. I have seen many rave reviews but as someone that reads to escape the pains of daily life I do not enjoy books that are so dark and heavy. I look for a happy ending and did not feel fulfilled by this. I think many people could take a lot from Clare and her experiences, but as I said it wasn’t the book for me.
First of all, I would like to thank NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with the eARC of this book, Not My Ruckus by Chad Musick.

Not My Ruckus is a story that takes place in the 1980s following the main character, Clare, who “runs too much, talks too little, carries a gun too often, and holds a grudge forever,” as she deals with a series of traumatic events at the hands of her family and the consequences of their actions.

I can’t speak to the accuracy of the representation in this book but the author used his own experience of undiagnosed autism and epilepsy as a child to create the main character in his image.

Before reading this book I would 100% recommend checking out the trigger and content warnings, which are listed at the back of the book, to decide for yourself whether it is something you wish to continue.

Despite the content in this book I found it quite an easy read as the writing is so accessible. I admire the way in which he delved into the psyche of the main character and her motivations, the lengths she’s willing to go to and the lines that she’s willing to cross to protect the people she cares about.

I look forward to reading more of the author’s work in the future.
Thank you NetGalley for the copy of this book for review.
Unfortunately, even though this book is well written, I couldn't get past the first third of it. I usually go into books blind, and even if I knew this could be a little triggering and I thought I was ready for it. I wasn't. I couldn't keep going, but I hope at some time in the future I might attempt to read it again as it has some pretty good reviews. For me, the topics and triggers in it were too much, so I just recommend readers know what they're getting into before reading.
This deeply heavy, emotional and rather dark novel would have been so incredibly difficult to continue had it not been written really well. I don't recommend this if you're in a dark place, and there are so many triggers within, rape, rape of minors, domestic abuse, familial abuse, teen pregnancy, and many more.

Despite all of that, as a book I did find it really hard to put down. I was compelled to continue in the hope that the girls in this book manage to escape their lives. Brutal, heartbreaking, the absolute opposite of a comfort read. Prepare with tissues.

Thanks to NetGalley, Cinnabar Moth Publishing LLC and Chad Musick for an eArc of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
I go into books blind.  I like being surprised by books.  Sometimes, I do read the blurb.  I read the blurb here.  I thought I knew what I was in for.  I was not.  This book contains lots of triggers for things such as s*xual abuse, ch*ld abuse and an insane amount of gaslighting.

What seems like a simple story turns into so much more, at times I felt as if my brain wasn't understanding the words written down but it all made sense when I had finished the book.  It is a sad story of a life I have no experience of nor had I ever heard about before.

The book begins with a murder, so I assumed it would be a murder mystery.  It is not, it's a story about a life where the most horrendous things happen but are not explained, you learn more by what you're not told than by what you are told.

I polished it off in one day.
This book was heavier than I expected it to be. It covered various topics and there was good representation. What really mattered was the flow of writing, which was consistent.
Not a huge fan of this book, I didn't enjoy this book much, thank you netgalley for a copy of this.
My rating ⊱ ─ {⋅. ✯2.5 stars✯ .⋅} ─ ⊰
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC of this book. I really enjoyed this one and read it in one day. Look forward to much more by this author.
Ouch. This one hurt my heart. It was definitely triggering, and I appreciated actually good autistic representation. That said, it was just... SO MUCH. I feel like Chad tried to put 900 issues into one narrative and it got too cluttered. Not every issue needs to be explored in every story, if you ask me. I think it had potential but ultimately disappointed me.
Rating: ★★★★☆
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

-----
Okay wow! This book was good, but very difficult to read. This book has a lot of OwnVoices representation like autism and epilepsy. The author is a man, but the lesbian representation was done very well. This book has basically every content warning under the sun which have been outlined extensively by other people in their reviews. This book reminded me of Orpheus Girl, except much longer (a decade earlier) and much harder to get through. This book is definitely not for everyone but regardless very good- and very haunting.