Cover Image: The Butler

The Butler

The Butler by Danielle Steel
Story follows a man who has left behind in South America his twin brother when they reach adult age.
Joachim moves with his mother and she marries a man and live in Paris.
He is given jobs but he's not found his real love....he decides when his step father passes away to use the money he was given to go to butler school.
Never thought about it much and there are not many around anymore as our traditions and life style changes over the years.
Interesting to learn about the career. He relocates back to Paris to tend to his ailing mother and his butler long term job has ended.
Story also follows Olivia and she's moved to Paris and runs her design magazine til it ends due to internet offering cheaper ways to doing things.
She has no one else in the whole world and is taken advantage of by a maid. The butler guesses what's going on and lines up all the workers.
WOW he knows his job very well and things are resolved. He helps Emily get her house in order and teaches her of fun places to shop around town.
Joachim often thinks of his brother and fears he's in the mafia or something similar and fears they will never meet again.
When both are at a standstill they make a big decision about an estate a Russian had bought near Paris and want to help him redecorate it
He is interrogated about his travels when they try to make arrangements to ship her furniture back to NY. They find out about the brothers birthmarks.  She orders a background check on Joachim.
Love hearing about his mothers career by finding those who had paintings stolen from them during the way, she was able to reunite them.
When both of their endeavors end abruptly due to money loss and things being returned to their rightful owners they are at a loss..
Surprised at how this ends.
Received this review copy from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine Delacorte Press via NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.
 #TheButler #NetGalley
Another classic Danielle Steel book in the making. Joachim von Hartmann meets Olivia White when he returns to Paris after years of working as a butler in England. Olivia needs help with the chateau that she is renovating. Joachim is able to assist her. Neither one realizes that feelings are developing, as they are both scared to express what they feel as a result of their childhoods - hers in New York with only a mother because her father has another family and his in poverty in Buenos Aires and Paris with his mother and twin brother because his father divorced his mother after learning that her father had ties to Nazi Germany. Both Joachim and Olivia need to figure out that their childhood does not determine who they are as adults, but only serves as one chapter in their lives.

A great summer read.  It was exciting to read about the locations and lives of people in other countries.
I enjoyed this book so much! I felt so much for the people in the book, felt the pain and their happiness. I would recommend this book.
I really enjoyed The Butler by Danielle Steel.  I loved that the main character was a man, which is rare for this author.  Joachim was such a great person.  I loved his whole story.  I also really liked Olivia.  I could not put this book down as I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen next!  Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for the ARC.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Dramatic and heart wrenching, a stunning portrayal of life, relationships, and reconciling past to present. The book is evenly paced and well written with well developed characters. A believable and relatable story.
Danielle Steel has been one of my go-to authors for over 20 years. I have to read everything she publishes and The Butler did not disappoint. I loved the story which was somewhat like a modern day Cain and Abel about twin brothers and how different their lives have become based on the two paths that they followed...one as a drug dealer and the other as a Butler in wealthy English homes. It was interesting to read a DS story from the perspective of a male and I think she did a great job with it. If you enjoy books reading about family and romantic relationships this is the book for you. Thank you to the author and NetGalley for the opportunity to review this digital ARC in exchange for my review.
This is not your typical Danielle Steele novel as it explores the effects and repercussions of World War II to various social classes and the lives of Olivia and Joachim. I received this novel as an advanced reader copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Another wonderful book from my favorite author! This one has just the right of intrigue and romance. Olivia and Joachim are from two different worlds but they form a working relationship that turns to friendship. This book made me shed a few tears and I highly recommend it! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read an arc in exchange for an honest review.
The Butler by Danielle Steel has created an impeccable balance of suspense, dedicated friendships, exotic locations, personal growth, and unexpected romance. The hero, Joachim von Hartmann, is an identical twin estranged from his brother.  He fell into a career as a butler and excelled at it.  Olivia White is taking a break after a failed business venture and has travelled to London where her path crossed with Joachim.

This book is unique and examines challenging situations with grace.  Nazi war crimes, Argentinian drug lords, art reunification, losing assets due to government seizures, and much more.  It is also told from the male perspective of Joachim.  Due to his specialized training and long employment as a English butler he is overqualified for most positions in Paris.

However, Olivia agrees to temporarily employ him and finds his talents are just what she needs. They have an excellent working relationship, but circumstances are conspiring against them to end all ties for the safety of everyone involved.

Danielle Steel has created a world where the characters are fully fleshed out and perfectly imperfect.  This is not her usual love story and is far from a happily ever after, but what it is is a pleasure.  The gyrations between Joachim  and Olivia will have you rooting that they can find their own happily ever after, but it is far from a sure thing. The Butler met all of  my must haves by engaging the reader, tugging at my heartstrings, and keeping me guessing.

I was provided a free advance reader copy from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine Books in exchange for my honest review on Net Galley.  The opinions shared in this review are my own.
I love Danielle Steel, so reading this was exciting. Absolutely loved it. Would definitely recommend this book to anyone.
Sometimes you just need to let yourself dissolve into a Danielle Steele book and forget the real world.  Always a pleasure!
I've read just about all of Danielle Steel's books and I've been reading them for over 30 years.  I love how easy it was to slip into this book and care about the 2 main characters.  Olivia and Joachim have become loners due to their family situations.  They meet when they are both at crossroads in their lives and form a partnership.  There was just the right amount of historical  and real world action to keep me interested and guessing how this would all play out.  I think this was another great book by a wonderful author who allows us to relax and get away from our world when we read her stories.
A butler takes a job as a personal assistant for an American decorator.  Set in Paris, London, Argentina and a NYC.
Reading The Butler takes you on journeys to several different cities and you can tell the vibe is different in each city. The story tells about the lives of the characters and how the cities work to form their lives. The grit and determination shows through in the characterization. Great book!
This was a very sweet and poignant story and I breezed right through it.  The main characters were relatable and although the prose was somewhat repetitive, it was not any more than we are used to from Danielle Steel.  Life throws some hardballs at us sometimes and the true worth of a person is how they deal with those hardballs.  Set in Paris, we learn to love The Butler and he is very well fleshed out.  I could see this being made into a TV movie.  Well worth the few hours it takes to read.
Fantastic. Danielle Steel did it again. I was getting discouraged, but her last few books have renewed my faith in her as a writer. She is still one of my favorites.   If you haven't read any of her books start with this one!   If you want a good read, I highly recommend. Great details, characters and plot.  Read from start to finish in one day!  Could not walk away!
Danielle Steel brings us Joachim and Olivia.  Joachim arrives in Paris with his mother leaving his brother behind in Buenos Aires.  Olivia arrives in Paris after her magazine fails.  When Olivia needs help organizing her new apartment, she meets Joachim.  With his previous experiences as a butler and his knowledge of the French language, he helps her navigate setting up everything she needs.  As they work together, they learn more about each other.  Soon, the past starts to invade the present when Joachim is mistaken for his twin brother who has become a dangerous criminal.  As Olivia starts to get her life in order and finding her new calling, Joachim's life is falling apart when truths are revealed when he has a candid conversation with his mother.  Olivia and Joachim must each see beyond the past and reconcile with it before being able to move on to a better future.  Will they be able to do so in order to secure their future or will they get stuck in the past?

Danielle Steel brings us another story of love, hardships, and friendship.  Two very different lives who end up meeting in Paris.  Ms. Steel catches us up with their histories to show how these events affect their life decisions.  Through Olivia and Joachim, we get to see what may have been.  I enjoyed reading their story.  I look forward to the next adventure.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.  I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group Ballantine for this privilege.
Another good book by Danielle Steel.  Twin brothers, one good and one evil. Javier becomes a drug dealer and Joachim after several jobs decides to go to Butler school and he becomes a butler in England. The couple he works for passes away and he goes back home to live with his mother for awhile. HIs mother works at getting paintings stolen by the Nazi's back to descendants.. After awhile she tells Joachim why it's so important to her. They don't see or hear from Javier for over 20 years.  Olivia came from New York to stay in France at least for a year after her mother passes and the magazine she developed folds after 10 years. Joachim takes a job helping Olivia. He becomes her assistant on a project fixing up a large house. Javier comes back and aims a gun at his mother and brother. Joachim convinces him to leave.. Javier gets shot by the police and Joachim decides to return to England believing to be a danger to his mom and Olivia.. He returns to France and he and Olivia confess their love for each other
Even though it proved to be predictable,  it kept me engaged. Danielle has a way of writing that keeps you rooting for love  and happy endings
Sometimes you just need to forget everything and read a Danielle Steel book. The story and characters are predictable and something about her style is almost comforting to experience. This story followed her standard writing style, although I noticed that details were repeated frequently throughout the story.