Cover Image: Moms Don't Have Time to Have Kids

Moms Don't Have Time to Have Kids

This is an anthology of very short essays grouped around topics of different things “moms don’t have time to” do: sleep, get sick, see friends, write, and lose weight, most written by published writers of fiction or non-fiction. Like any essay collection, some pieces are stronger/more interesting/more memorable than others. Given the theme, it was a little weird that some of the essays did not remotely touch on being a mom or even having a mom, and a few were even written by men. This was especially true in the “time to write” section which I’m not sure of why, but was very noticeable. But because the essays are so short, this is a perfect book to read on your phone so you can read just one or two while you’re out and about waiting in your car or online somewhere. 3.5 stars.
I've been following author Zibby Owens for so long with her award-winning podcast Moms Don't Have Time to Read Books. Last year when she announced she had a book coming out filled with essays from many different authors, I was super excited to read it! Then she did it again with this one, Moms Don't Have Time to Have Kids. I'm currently a mom of a 5 year old and pregnant with my 2nd so the "don't have time" aspect really resonates with me. I loved the layout of this book, how it would chunk things into different sections like sleep, have friends, lose weight, etc. It is so relatable for mothers of any age. It is a collection of essays, but one of Zibby's is in there as well. I hope Zibby continues doing what she's doing for a long time to come!
These essays felt like home to me. I could relate to something written by each author, and I bet you will, too! It’s so nice to know you’re not alone when the isolating aspects of motherhood emerge.
A fantastic collection of personal essays from moms talking about some of the best and some of the toughest times of their lives. As parents, we often feel like we don't have enough time to do certain things and these interesting essays were so relatable and so true to life.
Moms Don't Have Time to…

write a review! Just kidding, but not really. This incredible anthology, Moms Don't Have Time to Have Kids, edited by Zibby Owens (she also has her own essays in it!) came out on November 2nd and I meant to post that week. But, ugh - kids, volunteering, laundry, appointments, meals (and we all know "meals" is actually like 5 different tasks from grocery shopping to clean up) - here we are, 2+ weeks later.

But not too late to give this anthology all the love it deserves! This is a collection of short essays for anyone out there who is balancing way too much on their plate. It's for busy parents, yes, but also busy anybody. It's a book that will let you commiserate with others, feel less alone and grateful for what you have, and give you a gentle reminder that some things are worth making time for.

This book has essays from some of my favorite authors, including Camille Pagán, Kristy Woodson Harvey, and Jenny Lee. And many more authors who have books on my tbr!

There are essays about parenthood, and also essays about grandfathers, daughters, nephews, and more. There's something for everyone in this collection of stories! You'll laugh and you'll likely tear up at a few, especially the ones that have events that took place during the pandemic last year.

Zibby calls herself a "curator" and she did an incredible job pulling together meaningful, funny, touching, and uplifting stories. And congrats Zibby on your memoir coming out next year!! I can't wait to read it.
I enjoyed the stories in this collection. It was good to hear from other mums of times when it's not all rainbows and sunshine. I could definitely relate.
Zombie Owens is an amazing author who has found niche in the woman-mother-parent author world. This anthology is highly relatable and all women should read it.
This is Zibby’s second anthology on five new topics that mom’s don’t have time to do; sleep, get sick, see friends, write, and lose weight.

After reading this, I let out a long sigh, that yes, I’m not alone in all the chaos. I found so much truth in the telling of these stories. Many straight-from-the-heart essays I could relate to, bringing out all the feelings. I laughed, cried, and I can’t tell you how many meaningful little snippets jumped out at me that I highlighted. And yes, before the halfway mark I ordered myself a paperback copy. I could identify with the majority of these essays, and I know others will too — several of my friends and family will be finding a copy under their tree this year. ❥

*Thanks to Skyhorse Publishing and NetGalley for kindly providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Zibby did it again with her second anthology chronicling all the things moms don't have time to do.  There are so many familiar authors/writers who contributed to this SACRED GEM.  Some of my favorite essays from the book include While I Was Sleeping by Camille Pagan, I Diet, Therefore I Am by Elyssa Friedland, and Roses by Stephanie Danler (boy I  loved that one).  I enjoyed reading this book slowly and thoughtfully, one essay at a time.  It felt like a warm hug from a best friend!
I enjoyed Zibby Owens' first anthology, and I jumped at the chance to preview this second collection of stories from an assortment of writers.

This anthology is just as engaging as the first. The featured selections are witty, amusing, insightful, and incisive. I recommend it for nonfiction readers who enjoy thoughtful reflections on life and family. There are 52 essays, so you can read one a week for a year (or finish them all in a weekend, like I did!).
The essays in this book are separated based on five topics mom's don't have time for: sleep, get sick, see friends, write, and lose weight. There were lots of different perspectives represented, and I enjoyed most of the essays. Just based on the time we're living through, I did find there to be a lot of mentions or focus on COVID-19 and also grief. There were some essays from men, and some that didn't specifically mention motherhood but were on topic. It was a nice compilation, and good to read of others in similar situations.
I picked up this anthology because it was different from what I usually read, and because the title caught my attention. Very clever. I enjoyed most of the stories, but one in particular about the author's grandfather leaving her a gold coin got to me pretty hard. Maybe don't read that one in public at work!
I just recently heard of Zibby Owens and her Moms Don’t Have Time To Read Books podcast when she was interviewed on a different podcast. When I got this book i didn’t realize that it was a bunch of essays from different authors. Some stories I liked more than others, but it is a great way to learn about new authors.
This was okay, I have been reading so many books and articles about modern motherhood that I think I might just be fatigued on the topic as this felt somewhat recycled and unoriginal.
I downloaded this book expecting a light-hearted, somewhat satirical, tongue-in-cheek poke at Motherhood and the demands therein.

Instead, it was filled with essays from a circle of bloggers highlighting their "Mom's don't have time for..." sections.  I was hoping to find a book that resonated with me, and the generalised experience of Motherhood, but sadly that was not the case with this book.  Possibly it is due to my being outside the USA - cultural differences at play even now.

Three stars, because while it was well written, it wasn't for me.

~Many thanks to NetGalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review~
I'm not a mom, but I love reading about how moms manage to balance all of the things they have going on, taking care of themselves and their kids (and sometimes their own moms too). I liked the organization of these essays into sections - Moms don't have time to: write, sleep, get sick, lose weight etc. As with any anthology, some of the stories resonated with me more than others, but I loved getting a window into the authors' lives. In a world of Instagram perfection, I loved the honesty with which they wrote, and I found myself laughing and nodding along in agreement. I'm sure many moms will find these stories relatable and/or entertaining.

Pub date: Nov 2, 2021

Thank you to Skyhorse Publishing for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
A wonderful, humorous and though-provoking selection of short-essays on parenthood. With many of the essays written during Covid it feels bang-up-to-date and a lot of what is written resonates deeply. That said, the cross-section of parents didn't seem that wide, which is a shame as it would have been interesting to hear a greater variety of voices. Still, a heartwarming read though.
I'll start by saying that this wasn't what I expected. I was looking for some humor and I didn't find it in these essays. I couldn't relate to the women in the ones I read, either, but this may be a cultural thing. I don't live in the US.
I received a free advanced reader's copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Great job, Zibby!This book helped me feel seen and a little less alone as a mother. I lost my own mother 20 years ago at the age of 12. Having my daughter 2 years ago reignited a flame I thought I had completely put out. That flame being: “I’m not good enough.” Except this time, it was the voice to every parenting decision and action vs. inaction Ive taken. Moms don’t have time to was a beautifully crafted love letter to all of the mothers out there that are trying to identify who they are, their self preservation in the midst of chaos, balancing the needs and wants of life etc… I recommend every mother take some time to read these stories so you too can experience the empathetic and powerful stories expressed in this literature.
I’ve only recently discovered personal essays and normally catch them one at a time and usually online.  Moms Don’t Have Time to Have Kids is one of only a few anthologies I’ve read.  I enjoyed these and appreciate the different perspectives.  What I liked most is that these are written by authors, some that I know and enjoyed hearing about their backgrounds (like Jean Kwok) and some that I don’t know but noted and have added to my want to read list.  Thanks to Net Galley and Skyhorse Publishing for a copy to read and review; all opinions are my own.