Cover Image: Whisper Cottage

Whisper Cottage

Jack and Stina have moved away from the busy city life of Birmingham to Wisteria Cottage in the picturesque village of Avoncote.  Recently married, they are expecting their first baby and are looking forward to building a new life together.

Their eccentric neighbour, an elderly widow called Mrs Barley, isn't well thought of in the village. Within days of their arrival Stina and Jack have become aware of bad feelings about her, but while occasionally odd she is perfectly nice to both of them.

Still Stina finds herself unsettled. As much as she loves her new life, she is kept awake by noises in the attic and strange sounds of chanting from next door. She is worried about Mrs Barley and the dark haired stranger who Stina keeps seeing in her neighbour's garden, but no one else seems to ever see him. Are the explanations supernatural, real or all in Stina's mind?

This is an easy to read story, but doesn't deliver on the tension and sense of mystery needed to really pull this off. I think it was really missing a sense of tension or peril, the is it supernatural or not storyline didn't seem to place anyone in real danger. The actual explanation was more sinister than anything which was suggested during the book, but by the time it emerges any threat of danger has long passed so it is nothing to worry about. It's unfortunate because I thought this has the makings of a nice spooky story at the start, but ultimately it was a bit of a let down.
I expected more from this book. It galloped along with suspense and suddenly fell flat for me. Others may enjoy it more than I did, it just wasn’t the right book for me.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC in return for an honest and unbiased opinion.
An Unsettling Turn For The Worse….
Stina and Jack are looking for a fresh start, a new life together. When they come across a rural, run down cottage they think that they’ve found the ideal place to make that new start a reality. To top it off, their new neighbour, Mrs Barley, is generous to a fault. Events, however, are about to take an unsettling and drastic turn for the worse. Intriguing suspense which, after a slow build, becomes a compelling read.
The book follows the story of Stina and Jack, who met at a party and became friends when they both left together. They clicked very well, and soon friendship turned into a relationship. And then to marriage. Stina got pregnant. And they both did not want to raise a kid in the city. Jack's parents were farmers and he strongly preferred and was comfortable with living in the Avoncate village with Stina.

On their arrival, their neighbour, Mrs. Barley, a widow instantly became their friend. Helping the two out from time to time. But it did not take long for Stina and Jack to know that the villagers aren't exactly friends with Mrs. Barley. They suspect she's a witch of some old generation. Kids, Adults, and Elders hated her.

Still, the newly moved in couple thinks of her as some old, nice and rich woman. But Stina starts to have her doubts when an odd man keeps popping in Mrs. Barley's garden. And moreover only she had spotted him, and no one else.

A super slow-paced novel. Whisper Cottage is one of the books I did not like nor did I disliked it. This book never captured me, and did not make me feel like I was where the protagonist was. Perhaps, the lack of character being relatable was what made me distant with it. But I never enjoyed it as I do when normally reading. I got to say the end was a huge disappointment, and left many unanswered questions in my head. And it never really explained what was going on in book at end. It never kept me on edge.
This was a creepy read! I started this, and once I started, I couldn't stop! The characters are well written. I was there with Jack and Stina, as they started their life in small town Avoncote, England. Their new cottage is charming, though their new neighbor, old Mrs. Barley, seems very odd. Is she a witch? Why does everyone in the town hate her? Who is the strange man who shows up in her cottage? Strange things happen around them, and you wonder if Mrs. Barley had anything to do with these odd events.
I enjoyed this read, it hooked me right from the beginning. However, the ending seemed a but rushed and felt a little flat. It made me really wonder how much we really know about people, though.
This book was sent to me on Kindle by Netgalley for review.  It is about family dynamics...dark and confusing at times.  I had to pass on this one but others might really like this genre.
In Whisper Cottage we follow a newlywed couple, Stina and Jack, they're now expecting their first child and decide to leave the city for a more tranquil and peaceful environment to raise their child in. While it seems like a dream come true, they quickly realize everything is not all it seems, specifically with their neighbor Mrs. Barley, while she seems outwardly friendly for the most part, not all is right and the whole town seems to be suspecting something sinister, could she be putting on a mask? I have to say this book really grabbed my attention after I read the synopsis, I mean potential evil neighbor? YES PLEASE! However, after starting the book I felt it came on too strong in the beginning and then way too fast at the end. I would've preferred there to be more build up in the beginning so we could get more of a suspense and then the end felt all too rushed, I was left feeling content but not throughly satisfied. Nonetheless, this book was enticing and did make me want to continue reading more I just wish there was more of a build up and there to have been more leading up to the end.

* I received an advanced copy of this ebook to read and review. Thank you NetGalley, the author and publisher.  *
I'm so glad I requested this ARC, it was brilliant! I loved the very well written plotline & the characters, especially Mrs Barley. As thrillers go, this was everything...suspenseful, gripping, compulsive & haunting.

'𝙃𝙤𝙬 𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙙𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙣𝙚𝙭𝙩 𝙙𝙤𝙤𝙧?'

It would make an amazeballs @netflixfilm (hint, hint)!

'𝙒𝙝𝙮 𝙙𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙫𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙧 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙝𝙚𝙧? 𝙒𝙝𝙮 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙤 𝙚𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙚𝙡𝙥 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙥𝙡𝙚? 𝘼𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙞𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙣 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙥𝙞𝙘𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙚-𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩 𝙝𝙤𝙢𝙚?'

Stina & Jack have just moved into their rural cottage, hoping for a fresh start. Their elderly neighbour Mrs Barley soon becomes a friend helping them in any way she can.
When pregnant Stina begins to hear strange noises at night & then sees a mysterious figure through the window, she finds herself beginning to question whether Mrs Barley is what she seems.

Many thanks to Netgalley for my ARC in return for my honest review

𝗜 𝗴𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗮 5 ⭐ 𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴
I was shocked to the core when I finished Whisper Cottage and that doesn’t happen often!
It’s one of those stories that you’re dying to figure out (but can’t!). Also has excellent character development and creepy location.
5/5, loved it.
A dark and sinister read. Holds your interest till the very end. Unexpected ending. Written in a fast paced easy to read way. Loved this book. Add to my collection to be read again and again!
Recommend
Stina and her husband Jack are thrilled to move into their new house in the country.  Jack is busy working long days as a vet, while Stina is at home working as a freelance author.  She is also expecting their first child.  Soon after moving in they meet their neighbor, Mrs. Barley, who lives on the other side of the shared wall.  While elderly Mrs. Barley seems friendly enough, if a bit odd, they soon find out that she is something of an outcast in the village.  People believe she is a witch, and do nothing to hide their superstitions. Stina soon begins to wonder if there is something sinister about her neighbor when she notices a strange man loitering around Mrs. Barley's shed in the back garden. No one else ever sees the man, or seems to believe that he's anything other than a figment of Stina's imagination.   Then there is the huge black crow, Corvus, who always appears when Mrs. Barley steps outside.  The most troubling thing, however, is how people who cross Mrs. Barley end up ill (or worse) soon afterwards.  Can Stina really trust Mrs. Barley, or will she be the next one to fall foul of "the witch?"

I enjoyed the tension that built slowly in the story.  While Stina did some questionable things in her search for what was going on with her neighbor, the clues were sufficient for me to wonder what Mrs. Barley would do next! The closed nature of the small village also was portrayed very well.  The explanation for Mrs. Barley's odd behavior was certainly not what I was expecting, but it made sense at the end!
Stina and her husband Jack move to an old rural cottage, excited for a fresh start, with a new job for Jack and a baby on the way.  The house needs a lot of work done but the couple are sure they can make it into the perfect family home.  Their neighbour Mrs Barley, who lives in the beautiful cottage next door, is kind and generous to the couple and quickly becomes a friend.  However the newfound happiness takes a turn when Stina spots a strange man in old Mrs Barley's garden, and then hears strange noises in the night.  With all the rumours in the village about Mrs Barley, Stina begins to wonder if she is really what she seems.  Could she be hiding something in her perfect home?

A thrilling tale of secrets and rumours, this story is dark and creepy and keeps you turning the pages until you find out what is going on.  With a few brilliant and shocking twists, I really recommend this book.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy of the book in return for my honest feedback.
A pleasant read. A little slow to begin with but it picks up nicely. Twisty, creepy and dark, I enjoyed it.
This is one of those addictive thrillers that draws you in from the first page! Stina and Jack have just moved into a lovely rural area to get away from the crime-ridden city as Stina is about to give birth to their first child. Their elderly neighbor, Mrs. Barley seems to be a kind woman, always ready with treats and helpful hints, but there is gossip about her that is less than kind. So when Stina sees a man traipsing through her garden, she becomes suspicious and even more so when she begins to hear noises at night. What secrets are being kept and who is to blame for odd happenings? I enjoyed this as it's different than most thrillers and kept me guessing until the end!
Stina and her husband, Jack, have moved into a new home, the perfect quaint little cottage in the cutest village.  She is pregnant with their first child and can't believe how wonderfully everything has worked out for her.  She can't wait to start working on getting their property up to par with their neighbor's, Mrs. Barley.  She's an elderly widow who doesn't have visitors and seems to be a sort of village pariah.  But whenever Stina attempts to get a clear reason for everyone's dislike of Mrs. Barley, she's not satisfied.  They offer vague reasoning, saying she's just always been an awful person as far back as they can remember.  Stina believes it's mainly due to the old woman's 'witchy' ways - herbal remedies, pagan holidays, etc.  She's nonplussed and sees Mrs. Barley as harmless, if slightly eccentric.

But of course, things start getting weird.  There's a man only she seems to see in her neighbor's garden.  There are noises in their joined attic that keep her up all night, but only she hears them.  Anyone that Mrs. Barley doesn't fully approve of soon finds themselves sick or out of sorts.  But those are surely just coincidences. And her lack of sleep from pregnancy and then caring for a newborn could surely have her imagining things...right?  Stina begins to wonder if the villagers have been right all along.

I thought the story might be just another in the line of 'mysterious occurrences obviously due to the suspicious character' books that seem to be common.  But it's not!  There's a lot more here than you'd first think.  There are even some subplots that kind of seemed unresolved, (Reggie) but I guess not everything can be expected to wrap up neatly.  And be prepared for baby exhaustion!  You'll feel like you're raising one yourself, such is the length and detail about sleep-deprived parents. It's necessary though, to envision how Stina would perceive the mysterious Mrs. Barley when she's barely coping, herself.  But I don't think anything could prepare you for what she ultimately uncovers!
This novel was everything I hoped it would be!  Whisper Cottage was a creepy mystery that had me on the hook from start to finish!

Centering around a couple, Stina and Jack, who after they find out they are expecting, move to a small town to prepare for their new addition.  After befriending their elderly neighbor, Stina sees and hears odd things and makes it her mission to get to the bottom of everything!

I devoured this book in a couple sitting because I needed to find out what was going on!  Anne Wyn Clark did a great job with building the suspense and at the perfect moment dropping twists and turn to keep the reader enthralled!  I really look forward to reading more from Anne Wyn Clark in the future!
Whisper Cottage is a twisty, creepy book and I enjoyed every page.  I was surprised by the final twitching I did not see coming!
Whisper Cottage is Anne Wyn Clark's latest book. When Stina and Jack move into their new cottage next to Mrs Barley strange things start happening. A strange man that only Stina sees and village gossip is very anti Mrs Barley. Is she a witch?

This was a gripping tale of intrigue, and ever so slightly hair-raisingly scary occasionally. I found it a little slow to begin with, but impossible to put down.

The characterisation was flawless, enabling me to develop a full understanding of Stina, or so I thought until the end.

The final reveal, and the shocking twist at the end took me completely by surprise.

Not the type of book I would normally read but glad I did. This is a thriller not to be missed. Would make a good film too
.. just saying.
#WhisperCottage #NetGalley
An ok read.
Stina and Jack moves into a rural cottage to start their new life. But all isn't what it seems here. An old lady, Mrs Barley lives in the next cottage who's too eager to help them with evrything they need. Some villagers are talking about her that she's killed someone, she's a killer.
Told from Stina's POV, this is an ok read offering nothing new in psychological thriller genre.
Characters were ok and not deep ones. Stina failed to impress me. Other supporting characters were good.
Narration of the story is ok.
It's a one time read without much expectations.
Thanks to NetGalley and Avon for giving me an advanced copy of this psychological thriller.
One I just this beautiful cover! Beautiful and it caught my eye!.
This creepy, addictive book grabbed me by surprise and didn't let go!
I loved every second of it! The twist are back to back.... Really enjoyed that!
The characters were amazing. Awesome character development.
This twisty read you won't want to miss!

Thank you NetGalley and Avon for this advance ebook copy!