Cover Image: The Heart's Charge

The Heart's Charge

This is a good read.
A newborn … Reunited loves … Missing children … there’s is a lot to like about this story.
Sit back and escape to the Wild West.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an arc in exchange for my honest opinion.
Karen Witemeyer is such a go-to author for me and she never disappoints! I was so exicted to get a copy of the second "Hanger's Horsemen" book.

Not only does she have amazing plotlines and swoon-worthy heroes, she incorporates so much faith elements that I love love love her books!

Thank you Netgalley and publisher for my copy of this book. All reviews expressed are my own, and I have not been obligated to leave a positive review.
Karen Witemeyer knows how to draw the reader to the story with interesting characters, solid writing, and great descriptions.
Loved this one. Hearts were definitely changed in this story. Two men, just doing their job find themselves acting as midwives to a crazed young widow. Left with a baby girl to find a home for, Mark Wallace ran headlong into the one woman who broke his heart before he left home for good. What Katherine was doing out west was a mystery.  All the details unfolded soon enough: that is, after Jonah Brooks was blindsided by a beautiful woman who captured his heart. Miss Eliza Southerland was even less in the market for a suitor than any of the others. What unfolded was a story wrapped up as only Karen Witemeyer can fashion.

I recommend this book for fans of pure old fashioned romance of the wild west nature. A little danger but a whole lot of fun with a happy endin
Two of the four Horsemen are back in this dual love story. I liked the change-up; having four main characters, two female/two male and yet also two black and two white was a refreshing change of pace. Ms. Witemeyer didn't shy away from hard topics like legitimacy or racism, and more so the interactions, both good and bad, were believable.

Those deeper, real life currents aside, the elements of faith in this story were well applied and the story itself was interesting.

Jonah's perspective, with his maturity, intelligence, and frank nature, was my favorite to read from. His conversation with Abner was one of my favorite parts of the book.

The only criticisms I have are that I thought Katherine was a little foolish at the end, which is a particular pebble in my shoe. I like to see smart, strong female leads and it frustrates me when they're not consistent or they make reckless decisions on emotion. And at the very end, the villains were too over the top for me.

All in all, a great read.
Two romances, lots of action - I really enjoyed this second book about Hanger's Horesemen. There's also a bit of mystery as to who is behind the kiddie snatching. Some things I guessed, some things I didn't. It's the characters that shine though, from the Horsemen, Mark and Jonah, and the women, Katherine and Eliza, to the children at Harmony House. Karen Witemeyer's books are always a pleasure to read and their faith message, inspiring. This historical escape was just what I needed to distract myself from life's worries.
The Heart’s Charge is book two in the Hanger’s Horsemen series by Karen Witemeyer. When Hanger’s Horsemen Wallace and Brooks run across and lady having a baby, that she does not want, they are directed to take the baby to a fondling home. The home is run by Mark Wallace’s ex-girlfriend and they are given a second chance.

This is such a good book. It is well written with strong caring characters. It takes off where book one ends, but there is enough background information given that this is also a good stand alone story. There is action, mystery and suspense through out the story that has not one, but two romantic friendships develop. I enjoyed reading this story, especially the part that deal with the boys who ride the trains and the lives they are forced to live at such a young age. This is a story of second chances and caring for others.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, this is my honest review.
The Heart's Charge by Karen Witemeyer is the continuing story of Hanger's Horsemen. Hanger's Horsemen are four ex-calvary men who left the army after the Massacre of Wounded Knee. They have dedicated their lives to atone for their actions. I love this series as it shows God can forgive any sin, we must simply ask for forgiveness and change our actions to follow His will. The plot was well developed and I liked the characters. I am looking forward to the third book in the series.
I recommend you brew a pot of tea and settle in for a wonderful story.
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher with no expectations. All thoughts are my own.
A cute and fun read with lots of action from the beginning.
This book was so good! I always enjoy a Karen Witemeyer book. She makes  me smile in more ways than one.
No telling what will happen when you put men and boys together. Trouble is sure to follow!
I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment from Karen Witemeyer’s Hanger’s Horsemen series, At Love's Command. I was really excited to have the opportunity to read the next book, The Heart's Charge. It was far from disappointing. It was exactly what I would expect from this author. It was so fun and entertaining. I love that there were two romances going on here with Mark, Jonah, Katherine, and Eliza. There was some light mystery and suspense, as well as, some laugh out loud humor. It was great!

I am giving The Heart's Charge a very well deserved five plus stars. I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy reading clean historical romance. I can not wait to get my hands on the next book from the Hanger’s Horsemen series.
Another victory for Mrs. Witemeyer! I have never before liked a story told from more than 2 points of view – but this one was excellent! It was two love stories in one, and we got both heroines' and both heroes' thoughts and motivations -- for all 4 POV characters.
I loved how Jonah's and Eliza's wounds complemented each other, and I loved how Mark's and Kate's wounds involved each other. I'm so glad we got further into Jonah's psyche. He was the one I knew the least about and therefore liked the least in the previous story.
It definitely needs to be read in order, though. The background for Hanger's Horsemen needs to be understood from At Love's Command before you start this one.
The humor, the two different romances, the parental relationships with the adorable children of Harmony House and the ruffian boxcar children, the attention but not obsession with the race differences, and the faith woven throughout made this a truly enjoyable read.
The only thing I didn't enjoy was the violence. It wasn't as bad as the first one with the prologue in a war scene, but it still had shooting and killing. I also didn't appreciate that the only Latinos in the story were all on the bad side. Though the black man and mulatto woman were heroes, the Latinos were not.
Other than that, it was great, and I loved the ending!
Favorite quotes:
“Why God had chosen him to aid this woman was a mystery he'd never comprehend. The Almighty must not have had anyone else in the area.”
“Mark knew it was probably nothing but coincidence, but the fact that the establishment chose to quote from the gospel of Mark instead of Matthew or Luke resonated in his soul like a signal from heaven. He was meant to come here. Meant to trust these people with his little lady's care.”
“Until she [Eliza] understood his [Jonah] temperament, she wouldn't be able to manage him properly.”
“Why couldn't he just fall into one of her tidy categories and cease being so intriguing?”
“As if the babe understood him, she ceased her wailing and blinked at him. A team player. Good.”
“He [Mark] conquered the tower of tubers heroically, determined to impress the fair maiden with his knightly knife skills.”
“'Nice to meet you, Wart.' Somehow, Mark managed to pronounce the name as if it were a royal title and not an unsightly skin growth. But then, he'd always had a knack for makin' folks feel special.”
“He'd [Jonah had] been trained for battle, after all, not cowardice. Besides, what man in his right mind wouldn't take a moonlight stroll with a lady he admired? Even in territory littered with verbal snares ...”
“Katherine wiped her eyes and stood, mimicking Eliza's stance as if Eliza were some kind of pillar of strength to imitate, when Katherine was already one of the strongest women Eliza knew. Maybe not in the conventional way, but her soft heart had a core of iron.”
“'...start workin' on getting' you outta here?' And back to Kate. So he could wring her neck. Or more likely kiss her senseless. Yeah, kissing was definitely the better option.”
(I received a copy for free from the publisher on NetGalley. I was not compensated for this review. All opinions are my own, as was the decision to write this review.)
I think I liked it even more than the first book. Maybe because it had two of the Horsemen's love stories. This book was funny, fast-paced and frolicking good fun with some serious issues and villainy. I loved all the characters both main and minor. I liked how the men, women, children and even the horses all got to be heroes in their own ways.
I enjoyed this story. It has a second chance romance and two couples who find their happily ever after. There is a lot of drama and some adorable, independent children. There is also a faith element that I enjoyed. This is the second book in the series but is really a complete standalone. I received a copy of this ebook though NetGalley and the publisher. A positive review was not required and all opinions are my own.
I’m kind of an on-again, off-again reader of historical Western fiction.  I used to read it more, but with having less time to read, I’ve found myself slowly weeding this genre out of my frequent reads . . . unless it’s by Karen Witemeyer!  In that case, it’s instantly on my to-be-read list, even if I’m not able to review it.
This is the follow-up book to At Love’s Command, though you don’t have to read the first to appreciate this one.  Each book stands alone, but if you read the first and enjoyed the characters, I can almost guarantee that you’ll like this one.  Though I’m not picky about the storyline, at least when it comes to Ms. Witemeyer’s books, I’m not typically a huge fan of love lost and then found again.  So I was excited to find that this book had a dual romance aspect and nicely tied up 2 stories in 1.  I found the mystery intriguing and quite enjoyed getting to know Eliza and Jonah, along with the rather colorful collection of kids in their care.
I honestly can’t think of a single thing to nitpick or say I didn’t enjoy.  It did broach the topic of skin color and background in a way that I found well done and rather fitting for the time we’re living in.  Though I may not be racing back to read it again, I found it an interesting summer read and would recommend anything from this author.
*My thanks to the publisher for my copy of this book!  I was not required to write a review, positive or otherwise, and have not been compensated for it in any way.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Karen Witemeyer’s latest release, “The Heart’s Charge”, is the second in the “Hanger’s Horsemen” series, but it could mostly work as a stand-alone; you’d just be missing some background information on setting as there’s not a large character overlap. This book actually follows the story of two couples, one high school sweethearts rediscovering each other in the 1800s American midwest, and one couple meeting for the first time (same setting). The stories are very connected and the chapters flip back and forth between the perspectives of these four characters, but it’s not confusing. There’s some mystery and drama woven in to keep you on your toes, but overall it’s a very sweet story and light read.

Thank you to Bethany House publishers and NetGalley for providing me with an electronic copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own and were not required to be positive.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion – which I’ve done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
Book title: The Heart’s Charge by Karen Witemeyer
Book Reviewer: Donna Feyen

I am new to Witemeyer’s writing.  At Love’s Command was the first book I this series and the first book of hers to read. I am hooked!!  I am not sure how she does it but I am hooked.  Her characters are superb. The Heart’s Charge is the second book in the Hangers Horsemen series and is Mark and Jonah’s story. I was not sure I could like the second book as much as I loved the first one.  I was wrong.

Mark and Jonah are men of character. You fall in love with them. Kate and Eliza are a perfect match for them.  Kate turned down Mark’s proposal 10 years ago and never thought she would see him again. She and Eliza are running a foundling home. The story of the children was heartwarming. I loved seeing them flourish throughout the book.

One of my favorite scenes was the conversation between Johan and Eliza in the buggy on the way to the town. The author did an amazing job of making their situations relatable. Another of my favorite scenes was Al. 😊
I think this is one of those books that you can very well tell what kind of story it will be by looking at the cover. And then some.
I started reading this western style historical novel, and I was hooked. (this is the second book in a series, but it reads well as a stand alone)
Mark Wallace is a typical gentlemanly cowboy type of hero. Strong, gentle, and all of that. I enjoyed reading about him and seeing his personality emerge on the pages of this book.
I also found it interesting to read about his past with Katherine, and to see how and when their relationship might begin to grow again...yes, I think this is definitely a story that is just a bit predictable. But, in spite of all of that, it is fun to read, to see how exactly they reach their happy ending.
I found this to be a light hearted easy read, enjoyable and fun, but also with some deeper issues hidden below the surface.
Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review, and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
The Heart's Charge is another excellent Karen Witemeyer book. From the compelling opening to the heart-wrenching conclusion, Witemeyer takes the reader on a fast-paced adventure, sprinkled with humor and romance.

The Horsemen are once again in the middle of a difficult situation where their unique skills are call on to rescue children, women, and one another. The characters are well written and the conflict and solutions relatable.

The Heart's Charge is a fun adventure. I recommend this book as a great continuation in the series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy this book since it had actually four main characters (two couples) but I should never had doubted Karen. I so enjoyed both couple’s journey as they found love. If I had to choose though, I think I enjoyed Jonah and Eliza’s story the best because Eliza was so contrary.

The mystery that is unraveled in this book is interesting as well, although, I had a good Idea who was behind the missing children pretty early on.

Karen is also wonderful had writing tense and action paced final scenes and this book has them.

If you like historical romances with a western flare I am sure you will enjoy this one.

A copy of this book was given to me through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
As I began reading this book, I soon realized that I wasn’t just being told a story. I was invited and drawn in to experience life in Llano County, Texas during the spring of 1894. I was introduced to an outstanding cast of characters, some of whom were almost larger than life.

This book is historical romance at its best, with the telling of not just one love story, but two. Through skillful writing, I was given the sense that the author truly enjoyed, cared for and was at times amused by her characters as much as me.

I loved the way that friendships were portrayed in this well written book. Trust was earned, not demanded. Forgiveness was needed, sought after and abundantly given. Second chances were granted. Children, even those discarded by society, were valued and treasured.

I loved the ending! I read it with happy tears streaming down my face.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishing through NetGalley and a paperback. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.