Cover Image: New Kingdom

New Kingdom

Wilbur Smith has given us another incredible read with The New Kingdom in his continuation of the Ancient Egypt series.  He is such a talented and masterful writer, easily transporting us to ancient Egypt with his descriptive prose and fantastic story.  His characters are great, both good and bad.  It is a book that keeps you reading from the first page to the very last.  If this is your first read of Wilbur Smith, you will want to go back and start with the very first, River God.  You will NOT be disappointed.  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Ancient Egypt Comes to Vivid, Exciting Life

I was so happy to read about Taita again! He isn't the main character in New Kingdom, but if you've read The River God, you'll understand.

Hui, the young man who is the lead, is impressive in his own right. He's certainly got a silver tongue! But, he's an innocent and good-hearted person who is capable of great loyalty, which is sometimes unwise.

I'm so glad that Wilbur Smith has continued with his saga of Ancient Egypt. He's a masterful writer, widely traveled, and deeply informed on the ancient world. This new book is a wonderful addition, a welcome new branch on Smith's series' tree.

I was fortunate to receive an advance readers' copy of the book. I'm overjoyed to pronounce it an excellent read! I can't recommend it more highly for anyone who enjoys historical fiction of ancient Egypt.
Wilbur Smith has done such a wonderful job with this book. I love reading about ancient Egypt and Egyptian mythology and this book provides so much. I enjoyed the story and the characters. This was such a beautiful written story.
I have read most of Smith's books and all are phenomenal.  However Wilbur Smith's Egyptian Series are exceptional, and the New Kingdom continues that tradition.   The novel flows easy and the plot is intricate and fast paced.   The characters are well developed and you can relate to them.  Another great book from the master!
GRAND read, which is exactly what I expected.  Atmospheric, great characters, immersive story, and kept me reading long past midnight.  It was well worth the book hangover the next day!
The New Kingdom takes you on an adventure through Egypt following Hui as he experiences heartache, anger, and a thirst for vengeance. With power at stake, Hui's family's world is shaken when he comes home with his brother with what is believed to be a powerful stone. This discovery will set off a series of events that will forever change Hui. This book was an engaging read. I received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a review of this book. On the e-copy of this book the formating was a little off when viewing on a kindle, however I foresee that being taken care of prior to publication.
I always love a Wilbur Smith historical story. This one is will be hard to forget. Deep characters and immersive world.
I wasn't sure what to think when I picked up this book- Ancient Egypt? Yes, please. Ancient Egypt and Wilbur Smith? Yes, NOW please! Ancient Egypt, Wilbur Smith.....not Taita? Umm. I mean, can I think about it?

Turns out there's no need. This book is the natural successor (more of a companion according to the timeline) to the world of River God and we even see some old familiar faces. Much like Taita, Hui manages to be a part of every important happening in his world and, also like Taita, becomes a pivotal figure in the events that follow. We join Hui as he enters the lion's den of desert marauders known as The Shrikes, joins the ranks of the Hyksos, confronts the Cult of Seth and navigates his way through both the treacherous waters of the Nile and Pharoah's court.

A different perspective on the world (and events) of River God turns out to be an excellent thing and I look forward to seeing Hui again.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me access to an early copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Another brilliant book on ancient Egypt. I thoroughly enjoyed his first series and hope this one continues on for many more books. This is a period of history that fascinates me and who but Wilbur Smith can bring it to life.
The Book Maven’s Journal
Reviews for Word Connoisseurs

REVIEWER       The Book Maven -- Joy
STAR RATING  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Sincere Thanks to NetGalley, Bonnier Zaffre USA and Zaffre Publishing for Providing the Review Copy

Coming Soon…

The New Kingdom
by  Wilbur Smith and Mark Chadbourn

A Gripping Tale of High Adventure and Egyptian Magical Mysteries

Wilbur Smith’s latest tale of the dangerously mysterious world of diabolical ancient Egypt, “The New Kingdom,” is the coming-of-age story of Hui, the privileged and beloved second son of the adored second wife of a governor of un-unified Egypt.

“Mother told me that the gods have a plan for all men. They reveal it, not with a clap of thunder, but with the slowness of the wind uncovering a gold plate buried in sand.  It is easy to miss that message, and that is how the gods wish it, for they want men to pay attention to their presence at all times."

Although born into a ruler’s household with many advantages, Hui’s teenage years, through young adulthood, are rife with peril—often due to his own reckless initiatives.  However, Hui is also dealt harrowing challenges because he is cursed by the god Sept.  His high priestess and sorceress stepmother despises him and will stop at nothing to see him dead and her own son rule.

“Here we stand before the all-seeing eyes of Seth, Lord of Chaos, our God of Fire and Desert, King of Envy, Master of Trickery, Overseer of Storms…Lord of Violence…Seth…Brother of Osiris, Isis and Nephthys.  We call on you…Accept this sacrifice…”

An early zeal for recognition begins Hui’s tortuous  journeys.  It is his quest for a magical stone held by vicious bandits who think nothing of severing heads with their sickle blades that results in Hui’s best friend’s death and the unraveling of his former life.

“Ever since word of it had leaked out, there had been talk of no other thing in the city—of the power it possessed; of what the gods would grant anyone who owned it…”

The New Kingdom is a fast-paced adventure story filled with blood-curdling perils and supernatural mysticism.  It is one that follows Hui’s life of betrayal by those he held closest, and his subsequent crusade for vengeance for all that was lost.

“What you endure is the curse that I placed upon you," she said.  “A curse given force by Seth himself.”

It is a story of youthful spirit and fearlessness; of honor lost and promises broken; of heroism and triumph; and ultimately of conscience, redemption and the absolution found in peace.

“It is the duty of all men to do whatever they can to ensure no more blood is spilled, and that we can create an age where we live in harmony to enjoy all that the gods have bequeathed us...”

And for Word Connoisseurs…

Like all of Wilbur Smith's book’s, The New Kingdom is breathtakingly rich with descriptive action verbs; deliciously full of vivid figures of speech; and equally abundant with memorable quotes (several noted above).  Below are some additional examples from the novel that will demonstrate Smith's consistently elegant storytelling.

“Nothing great was ever gained by timid hearts.”

“…under the lamp of the full moon…”

“…the lamp of the moon lit the way ahead.”

“He could taste the sweet fragrance of the sheep dung and straw…”

“A scarlet strip edged the sable sky in the east.”

“…he looked like a whipped dog at the back of a beggar’s hovel.”

“The warrior sheathed his sword, the blade singing as it slipped into the leather scabbard…”

“The chariots trundled ahead…the grooms and slaves trudged along behind…the ground throbbed…the horses snorted and stamped nearby…”

“…words about his soul being poisoned haunted him.”

“…he twirled it around then tossed the gore into the flames, where it sizzled and spat.”

“…most there saw the lattice of seeping purple weals across his back.  He had been lashed within a whisker of his life...”

“What is a hero?  It is not someone born that way.  A hero is a man who defeats his greatest enemy first—his own fear—then carries on.”

Be watching for Wilbur Smith’s (collaboration with Mark Chadbourn) newest novel of the dangerous and mystical ancient Egyptian world, The New Kingdom, coming September 2021, from Simon & Schuster and Bonnier Zaffre USA..

This review was submitted to BarnesandNobel.com Book Reviews under the display pen name of bookmavenjoy and was posted on my Goodreads Book Review site.
WILBUR SMITH IS THE REASON I CANNOT LOOK AT A JAR OF PICKLE EVER AGAIN ... READ "THOSE IN PERIL" TO UNDERSTAND WHY...

Date reviewed/posted: June 2, 2021
Publication date: September 7, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle.!

In the heart of Egypt,
Under the watchful eye of the Gods,
A new power is rising . . .

In the city of Lahun, Hui lives an enchanted life. The favoured son of a doting father, and ruler-in-waiting of the great city, his fate is set. But behind the beautiful façades, a sinister evil is plotting. Craving power and embittered by jealousy, Hui's stepmother, the great sorceress Ipsetnofret, and Hui's own brother Qen, orchestrate the downfall of Hui's father, condemning Hui and seizing power in the city.

Cast out and alone, Hui finds himself a captive of a skilled and powerful army of outlaws, the Hyksos. Determined to seek vengeance for the death of his father and rescue his sister, Ipwet, Hui swears his allegiance to these enemies of Egypt. Through them he learns the art of war, learning how to fight and becoming an envied charioteer.

But soon Hui finds himself in an even greater battle - one for the very heart of Egypt itself. As the pieces fall into place and the Gods themselves join the fray, Hui finds himself fighting alongside the Egyptian General Tanus and renowned Mage, Taita. Now Hui must choose his path - will he be a hero in the old world or a master in a new kingdom?

I LOVE this series of books - I wanted to be an Egyptologist when I was younger but lost my love for it when I realized I would have to get a Ph.D. and spend all my time either teaching or outside in the blazing heat...I almost melted when I was in Egypt in March and my fellow students were in long sleeves as it was "winter".  The history is well presented and researched and it was written in an engaging and enjoyable style.  I know many people who would adore this book and I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!  (and since this is the 7th in a series, I will recommend them all!!!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🦁 🦁 🦁 🦁 🦁 (the closest I could come to a sphinx!)

p.s. I like the mock-up cover more than this finalized...
Wilbur Smith does it again. He grabs you by the metaphorical throat and forces you to read from the first page to the last. Once again You are transformed back to ancient Egypt, following the trials and tribulations of Hui, the main protagonist in the continuing saga of all the characters we have come to love so much.  A truly excellent, thrilling and exciting book from start to finish..
Wilbur Smith who is one of the most prolific authors writing today gives us a new character in a setting that he has used before. Hui is a young man coming to age in a time about 4000 years ago in what was ancient Egypt.  He is the son of a successful man who is the current governor of a city with the ability to report to the Pharoah of Egypt.  Hui is probably his father's choice to succeed him as governor even though he has an older half brother.  His own mother has died while his half brother's mother is alive and pushing for her son to inherit the position when their father passes away.
     The opening of the novel finds Hui with his brother and a friend all set to steal a talisman from enemies of their city camped nearby.  If successful, the possession stands to greatly enrich both the city they reside in as well as themselves.  The prank turns deadly when their friend is caught and killed during the attempted robbery. It also appears as if his half brother actually turns their friend over causing his death in order to take the heat off himself.
In telling the story both his half brother and the mother of the brother lay all the blame for the crime and the friend's death on Hui.  He is imprisoned awaiting sentencing when his sister helps him escape and thereby starts his adventures throughout the known world.
     Mr. Smith's research into the era is well done as it is in all the novels he has written and the characters live through the events that took place in a time when Egypt was consolidating her land to include the previous states of upper and lower Egypt.  He meets the girl that he marries, reconnects with his sister and takes a commanding role in a war with a major foe Egypt is facing at the time.  As in all his novels regardless of the period they are set in the characters face problems that actually occurred during their times, are all larger than life both the villains and the heroes and heroines. He is a wordsmith and has no problem in keeping his readers glued to his books.  I freely admit that I am addicted to his novels and no longer even bother reading plot descriptions when making them a selection for my personal reading pleasure.
Wilbur Smith in unparalleled in his gift of bringing history alive to a reader.  This new novel of Ancient Egypt has all the drama, dazzle and danger of his previous books and it kept me enthralled from the first chapter to the last.

The characters are vibrant and relatable, despite the thousands of years that separate us.  Whether they are warriors or nobles, Smith finds the humanity in each of his characters and we are easily caught in the magic of his story- telling.

NetGalley provided me an advance copy of this book in exchange for a candid r3view.