Cover Image: Good Catch

Good Catch

Marlo is a former ballet dancer who broke her ACL. Her parents own the local athletic club and now Marlo teaches pilates and other classes there. The club is losing money. Marlo wants to bring in changes to help the financial side of things but her father resists. Ben is a reporter and also writes stories on Harper Landing. He has no money because his job as a journalist pays very little. Marlo and Ben have known each other since kindergarten and haven't really liked each other. But love will change things.
I found this book to be rather superficial unfortunately. Not the right book for me! I was looking for a bit more substance, although I understand that’s not always the case in the romance genre.
~~~ I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ~~~

Good Catch is the second book in the Harper Landing series (I did read the first) that takes place outside Seattle.  This is the story of Ben and Marlo, who both have some leftover resentments against each other from their school days.  Marlo and Ben both join the local dating app "Good Catch" in search of love- and each go on dates with a variety of interesting characters before finding their way to each other.
The general themes of this book are love, forgiveness, and friendship.
I'd categorize this book as a light-hearted Rom-Com.  It was sweet and cute, with some laughable moments, but it wasn't stellar.  If you're looking for a quick vacation read, Good Catch would be like a fish-on (lol)!
I really liked the characters and the storyline in this book. Parts had me cracking up and some parts made me think what the heck, but all the parts made me keep reading.
A quieter version of an enemies to lovers trope and without all the angst. Personally I love steamy chemistry and angst and verbal spars and this kind of drifted away from all of that. But as expected for a small town romance.
Marlo is a former ballerina whose career ended in a devastating injury.  She is back in Harper Landing working for her parents at their health club.  She is grateful but really satisfied with the direction her life is headed right now.  She wants more and she wants to find a way to keep their business in the black.

Ben is a reporter for the Seattle Times.  His dating life is interesting, to say the least.  He tends to date those who are odd, different or crazy.  He is convinced to try a new dating app called "Good Catch".  His first date with Brittany is a disaster.

Marlo and Ben know each other from grade school.  They were enemies then and, now as adults, they still are.  Their frenemies relationship becomes more friend like with the possibility of more?

This is a fun, small town story with a few quirky characters with a happy ending.  I was given an arc copy of this book and I willingly offer my honest review.
Since I had really enjoyed Sweet Bliss, I was really excited to read Good Catch by this author too. The small town feeling I'm getting from the Harper Landing books, remind me why I really love small town romances. The feeling of the united community, it's just like the village life here.

This was a really sweet story, with slow burn and a few laugh out loud moments. I really loved Ben and I can relate with his character. Marlo was also a lovely character and I enjoyed their slow burn romance.
4.5 stars - A childhood enemies to lovers story. The heroine’s parents love PDA and own a gym with a view of Puget Sound. The hero is a journalist who bikes 30 miles a day. He’s rough around the edges, muscular, and broke. His family owns a bakery, and both families have been friends for a long time. Both the H and h are looking for ‘the one’. They find it in a very unlikely place, each other. I especially enjoyed the quick humor, witty banter, and crazy parents in this read.

This was a quick fall read. It was a typical small town romance which is fine by me. I liked the issues she touched on while also not making it too heavy. Thank you NetGallery for this eARC!
Loved this book so much that I went back and read SWEET BLISS after I finished! The story reads fine as a standalone but I do with I knew it was a sequel.
This is such a sweet, romantic, funny, thoughtful and feel good book.  I love how Jennifer Bardsley always addresses important issues in her novels, such as single parenting, Alzheimer’s, dyslexia, MS and stresses the importance of community, family and friendship.
We are back at Harper Landing and this time we follow a new couple, Marlo and Ben, navigate the complex world of dating and finding true, everlasting love. Both are frenemies with different outlooks on the idea of the perfect partner and have nothing much in common except for a respective history of failed relationships--Marlo has just ended a long relationship with her cheating boyfriend while Ben's previous experiences can be described as 'interesting' at best. Both their parents place bets with them to challenge their dating life and this results in their foray into online dating via 'Good Catch', an online dating site. Marlo and Ben keep bumping into each other while on their dates with other people and in the process get to know each other better with a new understanding about their personal struggles, ambitions and hopes.

I overall liked reading the book but I have to admit  I didn't warm up to Marlo the way I did with Julia Harper in the first book. Ben is cute and more likeable of the two. There is another thing I noticed: the male protagonists in both the books suffer from a condition (Aaron has paleo while Ben is dyslexic) and it is refreshing to see both of them use their condition to build a healthy and successful life and career around it.

I received an e-Arc of the book by the publisher Montlake and the author Jennifer Bardsley via NetGalley.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✨💫
What a sweet read!

I had so much fun returning to Harper Landing and visiting the town from two different angles. Marlo and Ben were adorable, and you just root for them from page one!
Such a cute story. Although the storyline was quite predictable, the characters had so many unique backgrounds. A journalist from a baker family, a retired ballerina, a knitting ‘bomber’, etc. I loved all the little details that the author included about each and every character. Overall would definitely recommend as a feel good read!
This is a cute romance that involves helping family out and finding new dreams with disabilities.  This was a fun enemies to lovers romance. I enjoyed that the book talked about a family business and the pressure to help with it. This is book 2 of Harper Landing series and can be read as a stand alone.  The story follows former ballerina Marlo and her childhood enemy Ben as circumstances force them together and they realize that they might not hate each other after all. A few of the characters are a bit over the top (Marlo’s parents and Hunter) but everyone else was charming and brought the small town to life. Harper and Ben’s issues and insecurities felt real and their transition from enemies to lovers felt natural. Marlo and Ben are equally matched characters but childhood grudges initially prevent them from truly seeing the other. As they spent time together they realize that they are perfect for each other and waste no time makes their intentions known.  I like the fact the plot has both Marlo and Ben facing diversity in their young lives (Ben is dyslexic and Marlo had to abandon a professional dancing career due to an injury) and yet each maintains a positive spirit.

Nice easy read that entertains.

Thank you to the author, publisher and netgaley for the ARC in exchange for a review.
#GoodCatch #JenniferBardsley #HarperLanding  #netgalley
I'm sorry but no. This book was a no for me. I tried my hardest to read this book. But I gave up halfway into this book. I could not stand the main characters at all. All they did was bitter with each other. It was not the fun kind of bittering, more hateful. That's not something I want to read. Sorry but not sorry.
The perfect hallmark like, fall book! Marlo and Ben have hated each other since school but their feelings start to change. Making this a cute enemies to lovers slow burn! I also love the small town setting, it gives such a cozy atmosphere!

Marlo and Ben are both amazing characters with great chemistry. This is a slow burn so it takes them a little while to find each other but it’s worth it! You see them go on dates with other people before they realize their feelings for each that which draws it out. The dates are fun and often funny but I wish we got to see a bit more of Ben and Marlo together. The town was described so well, creating a loving and cozy setting! The setting felt perfect for this story and I love all the thought the author put into it!
Oh how I miss Harper Landing so much! It's good to be back to their town. I miss the characters and the shops.

This story follows Marlo and Ben as they found their way to each other after years of having conflicts with each other. They both met when they were children but they got only really close years later.

I love Marlo's insights and her mindset. She is amazing and always voices out her opinions. She's also strong for choosing to keep going even if its hard for her. Even if life was testing her. Ben is also amazing as he was shown as very helpful to his family and friends. He's humdble and doesn't want to admit that his good at something even if he really is. Marlo appreciated that part of Ben's characteristic. They both complete each other's lives and happiness and how they both overcome challenges that life throws at them was admiring.

I recommend this book if you love romance set in a small but amazing town!
Good Catch is a sweet and quick read for fans of small-town romances. ⁣
⁣
It tells the story of Ben and Marlo who have been frenemies since their childhood. They have different backgrounds, interests, and plans for the future. There is nothing that really connects them… unless you count their bad luck in the dating department and distaste for each other.⁣
⁣
After their latest failed relationships, they both end up making separate bets with their parents about dating. Too bad that the dating options suck in a small-town dating scene. Both go on dates that turn out to be disasters.⁣
⁣
Somewhere along the way, they start to spend more and more time together. Soon their old hurt and hate aren’t as strong as they seemed to think in the beginning.⁣
⁣
I enjoyed my reading experience as some of the themes mentioned like dating and financial struggles are very common themes for me.⁣
⁣
The story itself just didn’t make it to my favorites. Maybe I should try to read the first book of the series to understand some of the characters better. ⁣
⁣
It was still a good read. Just not for me this time.
**This is an honest review in exchange for a free copy of the book. Thank you Netgalley, Jennifer Bardsley, and Montlake** Good Catch is book 2 in the Harper Landing series. I love this world and I think the writing style and quality is really good. Though this book was more of a stand alone, it was still fun to follow a new couple in the small town of Harper Landing. Themes include the dating scene (some cringey bad dates), community members uniting around adversity, financial struggles, and the value of the elderly in a community. There was an odd storyline in here that I didn't think added to the story nor enriched it; it actuality it cheapened it a bit and was incredibly awkward for me personally (the main character's parents). I don't know if the author is planning to keep going in the series, but I will certainly pick it up if she does!