Cover Image: Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens

Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens

I didn’t finish this. Between this book and the last one, this series has become so utterly boring, toothless and domesticated, I can’t stand it. There’s no atmosphere, too much pointless detail, and in this case all Charlotte does isn’t fret. Wrexford, meanwhile, has morphed into some kind of one-dimensional knight in shining armor at all times. Lame.
Lady Charlotte Sloan and the Earl of Wrexford are about to get married but at their first social outing as an engaged couple, someone dies. Finding a murderer while planning a wedding isn't easy, particularly when one suspect was friends with Charlotte and her first husband in Italy and another is an American in London on a secret assignment. When Charlotte reconciles with her long estranged brother, it comes out he has ties to the dead man as well. But becoming a family means working together and with everyone pitching in, they discover the guilty party and the wedding goes off as planned! I love this series and look forward to their next adventure! Thank you to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of #MurderattheRoyalBotanicGardens.
4 stars

Oh my, what fun this book is! I have not read the previous books in the Wrexford and Sloane series, but I am now determined to read the entire series backlog. It is generally my impression that in a mystery series, each book can be read on its own, and that held true here; reference was made to past events and previously-encountered characters, but it was perfectly easy for me, as a new reader in this world, to pick up.

This mystery, stumbled upon and ultimately solved by a ragtag found family of scientifically- and progressively-minded aristocrats, frankly reminds me a great deal of the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters—high praise from me, as that series is my all-time favorite cozy mystery saga. The only downside is that, perhaps thanks to this comparison, I find the actions and attitudes of the characters (both main and peripheral) more at home in the Victorian period than the regency; references to Napoleon were my main reminders of the actual time period in which the story is set. Perhaps the other books are more firmly set into the Regency period due to the scientific and technological advancements discussed, and my rather slight knowledge of botany is what allowed me to mentally drift further into the century.

All of the characters are frankly delightful. The novel balances a series-length arc of family relations with the action of this particular story’s murder mystery in a way that I found satisfying. The juggling of characters’ various social identities was also treated in a way I found entertaining without belaboring, which it easily could have been. I truly look forward to reading more from this author, and seeing Wrexford and Sloane (er, Wrexford) in the future as they grapple with combining their households.
Penrose brings Kew's Royal Botanic Gardens and the social and intellectual landscape of Regency England alive in her impressive fifth Wrexford and Sloane mystery. In addition to its range of colorful characters and clever mysteries, the series excels at conveying the contrasts of the Regency, capturing both its constraining traditions and its cutting-edge innovations. The sometimes complex dynamics between Wrexford, an accomplished amateur chemist, and artist Charlotte Sloane always add an interesting emotional thread to their sleuthing collaborations; this time around, the plans for and implications of the couple's approaching nuptials add appealing warmth, struggle and surprise. MURDER AT THE ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS  finds Penrose at her best; the latest installment of the Wrexford and Sloane story will delight existing fans and win her new ones as well.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. This book was good but not great, while I enjoyed the the botany aspect of this book, it was almost a bit much at times. I loved Charlottes interactions with both Hawk and Raven, it was very sweet. There was a large portion of the book where I had to force myself to read through it because I felt that nothing was happening. The ending of the book was very sweet though.
<b>Partners in Love & Murder Solving in the Regency Era.</b>

<u>Synopsis: </u>

Josiah Becton, an expert botanist on the precipice of sharing a cure for malaria that promises to bring him professional acclamation, is poisoned by a glass of sparkling wine. A fate that <I>could</i> have been prevented if Becton did not succumb to drinking peer pressure; don’t become a statistic kids, just say no! <i>This has been a P.S.A. </i>

Lord Wexford's reputation as a sardonic dabbling chemist, and murder investigator precede him, and thus he is brought into the fray early on by Dr Hosack who knows this was no accident. Wexford, together with his fiancée and partner in solving crime, Lady Charlotte Sloane- creator of satirical comics, that shed light on social injustice under a pen name- will have to ferret out the culprit before they are wed.

<u>What Charmed: </u>
♡ The Weasels.

♡Lady Charlotte has an interesting backstory and her qualms about marriage after being independent and rejoining the '<i>beau monde</i>' after her long absence I found refreshing in a HR heroine.

♡The villain and motive.

<u>What Marred:</u>
✗ I never connected to the characters, I felt they lacked chemistry.

✗ I wasn't overly enthralled with the story, I had to focus to finish.

<u>The Brass Tacks: </u>
➭It is perfectly suitable for any fan of historical fiction and whodunnits, and although I count myself in that camp, and found the writing up to par, it never managed to capture my focus or heart. It crawled in the first half and although the second half was more exciting, and even at times thrilling, by then the lot of it could be categorized in my mind as sluggish.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review.
I am a big fan of this series, but I couldn't finish this one. I enjoyed "visiting" the characters, but there was much talk here and not a lot of action. I felt that there were modern sensibilities pressed on characters who would have thought very differently.
This was another good installment in this series. Lady Charlotte and Wrexford are finally getting married but first they have a murder to solve. It was a quick book and a nice mystery.  I enjoyed the book
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy
This edition to the series was just a lot of fun with the entire cast of characters involved. A murdered botanist who might have a cure for malaria, a missing plant specimen and very evil villains make for
an action packed story. Spoiler alert, there is a wedding at the end.
In Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens, we are back with Lady Charlotte and Wrexford (and the Weasels, Sheffield, Lady Cordelia, Tyler, Lady Peake).  This fifth instalment keeps up the fast paced mystery intermixed with the continuing love story of Charlotte and Wrexford that have been the hallmarks of the series so far.  Andrea Penrose crafts a wonderful mystery that has so many villains and possible solutions that readers are kept guessing until the very end.  The tension around threats to our favourite characters and their loved ones kept me reading until late at night.  Mixed within the tension of the mystery are the discussions and ponderings about how life is in constant change and how love of family - by blood or choice - makes everything better and worse.  All together this is a wonderful continuation of the series and I highly recommend it.
Set in Regency times, Lady Charlotte and Lord Wrexford return to solve a complicated murder and to wed in

this latest tale.  Josiah Becton,  a discoverer, is found dead at The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew.

Poisoned, after imbibing  champagne... The world of botany is not all flowery.

There is a host of unsavoury characters to supect, and  many clues and red herrings to  solve.

I thorougly enjoyed this humorous book  and the style of writing..  Murder, motives and morals all vie for

attention  in this who- dunnit,  A delightful read..
historical-novel, historical-places-events, historical-research, history-and-culture, early-19th-century, early-teen-god-help-us-all, relationships, murder, murder-investigation, evil, England, sociopath, thriller, suspense, theft*****

Lady Charlotte Sloane was born to the aristocracy but escaped for a time and now is a satirical cartoonist with surprising investigative skills, and Earl Wrexford who is a man reputed as one never to be crossed. Together they are formidable enough, but add in the orphans they call The Weasels and others they value for their abilities and you have just the right people to investigate murder, extortion, disappearances, and financial crimes.
There have been harrowing incidents in the earlier books, and the development of the *family* as well as the love between Charlotte and Wrexford, but I think that each book is capable of standing alone. This one involves a sociopath who is truly evil, a potential botanical cure, lots of basically dishonest and greedy people, and even an American agent. As always, there is a slice of truth that has been well researched. Very well done tricky plot with extremely interesting characters! Great read!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook from Kensington Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
When you fall in love with the characters of a series, you'll continue to read even as the books get less satisfying.

I've given up on getting the romance out of Wrexford & Charlotte that I so desperately want to read. The romantic subplot is too buried and needs to be given more space and HEAT. Lots more!

This mystery lost my interest by then end. I really didn't care about the twisted motives of all the many perpetrators and started skipping ahead. I wanted to read about the wedding! Unfortunately, it was given only a few paragraphs at the end.

I love these characters SOOO much, I want to read about them as a new family having regular problems and conversations (that don't involve dead bodies) too. Perhaps some novellas for McClellan, Tyler, Kit, the Weasels, etc would be a satisfying way to fill out the series for the readers.

I still love this series and will continue to read on, but with less hope of getting a satisfying romance out of it or of gaining insight into secondary characters and Wrexford.
What a wonderful & delicious surprise! A very entertaining , menacing and suspenseful
historical murder mystery set among the scientific circles of Regency London and centered around the murderous shenanigans of  some evil Americans determined to steal some important & lucrative secrets concerning a potential cure for malaria. Elegantly written and at times reminiscent of some of the best of Georgette Heyer's Regency romps, this delightful whodunit offers a cast of colorful & unforgettable characters, a very twisted plot full of unexpected surprises and a richly detailed portrait of British society at the tail end of the Napoleonic Wars. Finally it would be wise to read some of the titles previously published in the series in order to get better acquainted with some of the principal characters.
Higly recommended and to be enjoyed without moderation!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Kensington Books for this terrific ARC
I love this series. I also enjoy her historical romance books written under the name Cara Elliott.
Her characters in this series are likable. It is part of a series and I would recommend reading them all.
Nice historical suspense with romantic elements
Charlotte and Wrexford are back at it again in this fifth book I’m the series.

It looks like Charlotte and Wrexford will FINALLY have some happiness together when their wedding plans are interrupted by a murder. The victim was about to announce a major scientific breakthrough in treating malaria. When a former big bad from a previous mystery appears to be involved in this one, they two amateur sleuths work on solving his murder mystery.

The mystery was interesting with a surprise twist and I thought it was well written and interesting. The one downfall of this book is while I continue to enjoy Charlotte and Wrexford’s characters and interactions, I just didn’t feel like the relationship between Charlotte and Wrexford has progressed. They’ve clearly had feelings for each other and good chemistry throughout the series, but I’m just hoping they actually have further growth as a couple in the next book.
Another in the wonderful historical mystery series featuring Wrexford and Sloane, the earl and the satirical artist. In this one, the intrepid pair set out to find who murdered a scientist who had found a cure for malaria—and for the plant that might save millions. And they really need to solve this case before their wedding! The familiar cast of characters grows in depth and interest and are just as fascinating as the mystery.
Murder at the Royal Botanic Gardens was set in a beautiful atmosphere, I loved seeing the characters navigate Victorian London. I found the description of the setting and the world-building to be very well done.

While this felt a bit slow at times, I did find I got really sucked into it once things got going.

Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I was excited to read the next installment in the Wrexford/Sloane series, and already looking forward to the next one!
I enjoyed this book a lot. I do find the writing somewhat repetitive and some of the secondary characters aren't as interesting to me as the two main characters, but I have really enjoyed the progression of the relationship between Wrexford and Sloane. I found the mystery and overall story of the last book, #4, weaker than the previous but this one was much more engaging, for me, and I am excited to see where things go next.
This could be read as a stand-alone but I would definitely recommend reading the series in order for full enjoyment.
At times I enjoy a mystery set in Old London society because with the visits to museums , art galleries , walks in the parks and some parties + a wedding thrown in , i kind of forget that the leads are chasing a murderer too ! This book has a delightful cast and I am going to pick the older books in this series to see how this found family came into being. Interesting tid bits on science and discoveries during that times. For a minute I wanted to start reading / learning more about latest inventions and just to feel like a learner.

Overall , even though I thought the plot was a little too twisted , I did enjoy it for different reasons.