Cover Image: When the Missouri Ran Red

When the Missouri Ran Red

A sad but well written book set in Missouri in 1864 involving the Confederate and Union troops. The main story is seen through the eyes of a 17 year old boy who ends up with the Confederates.

I still find it hard to believe how fierce these conflicts were e.g Lexington where the author details the battles really well.

Anybody with an interest in this sorry part of US history will love this book. I struggled at times.

Thanks to Net Galley and Kensington Books for the chance to read and review.
Many thanks to Author Jim R. Woolard, Kensington Books publishing and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
This is my honest opinion.

This was a really hard read for me.
I wanted to enjoy it, but unfortunately, It just didn't grab me.
It did seem very well researched and true to events of the time period.

Sorry, I felt nothing. We were not a good match.
I was so excited to receive an ARC of this story, I am born, raised and have lived in Missouri my whole 64 years. I have done some research of the Civil War in Missouri plus toured the Battleground in Springfield and the Lexington sites. But nothing I had seen or done could have shown or let me experience what the actual soldiers, prisoners and families went through as this wonderful historical fiction did.
The war scene descriptions were excellent and the storyline was easy to follow. Now to the con. I didn’t enjoy the last of the book as much as I had the first 75%. I also felt the romance scenes were sometimes out of place, but looking at the book as a complete work, I would highly recommend. A great depiction of the Civil War, one of the Wars I haven’t read as much about.
I received an ARC from Kensington Books along with NetGalley for my honest review. This one comes in with 4 stars.
I had no idea half these things happened but I'm so glad I read it! Civil war buffs will love this like I did no doubt! War, family and the choice some made cozy many people their lives. This book totally blew me away and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more books in this genre and by This author!
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley. #netgalley

I've lived in Missouri my whole life and never knew this story and it was so beautifully written.
A powerful historical novel taking place at the tail-end of the American Civil War, a richly detailed tapestry of the bloodiest episodes of the conflict that took place in Missouri at the time. Cleverly plotted and blessed with some very colorful characters & some unforgettable battle scenes, this rollicking & truculent novel should definitely not be missed by anyone interested in 19th century American military history.
Higly recommended and to be enjoyed without any moderation whatsoever 👍

Many thanks to Netgalley and Kensington for this terrific ARC
A coming of age story set during the civil war, Woolard creates a good story filled with human drama, and amazing historical detail.

The fall of 1864 and Rebel bushwackers have siezed Sedalia a small town in Missouri. Wounded, and left for dead by his half-brother, seventeen-year-old Owen Wainright is captured and conscripted by the Confederate Army. He witnesses the horrors of war firsthand: the savagery of General Selby's Iron Brigade, the massacres of Union troops, the bloody battles at Lexington, Westport, and Mine Creek,

Against all odds, Owen survives and is taken captive by the Union Army, thrown into a Union prison, beaten, and giving up hope, he is made an offer, If he will help the U S Marshal's find his brother in Texas, and bring him to justice, he will earn his freedom.

The risks are great, and Owen knows certain death awaits him if he is caught.

This was an amazing civil war story and a must read for Civil War buffs. Although the meticulous attention to historical battles can be a bit dry, I enjoyed learning more about them.
The novel is set during the waning days of the American Civil war in the state of Missouri. The area was mixed as to the support or non-support of the south's decision to secede from the union and the war launched to prevent that action.  There is a great deal of research evident in the descriptions of the area and the fields on which combat is going on. A confederate raid on his town sees 17 year old Owen Wainwright badly injured by his half-brother who is using the war to loot and pillage loosely attached to the Confederate cause as his excuse to act bellicose.  Owen makes it a point to join a company forming to join the union army and marches off to war.  He leaves his family as well as a young lady with whom he has formed a romantic relationship and intends to marry.
     Events bring Owen into being captured by a Confederate force and joins them as blacksmith and all around roustabout in order to stay out of the prison used by that army. Although not armed he is caught in a cross fire by union soldiers and placed in prison awaiting disposition.  Suddenly he is offered a deal by the Union army and seizes it as a means of staying free.  It seems that his half brother along with a troop of his own has evolved into a dangerous group of guerillas.  If Owen helps to find and capture the group, he can earn his freedom.  With the memory of his half-brother's attack on him and the chance to avoid prison he agrees and enters into a search that covers all the local areas as well as a section of Texas.
     With the search comprising the final section of the book and the tapering off of the war the author brings to life a unique part of U.S. history in a very readable novel that can be read in one fascinating read.  Further books by Mr. Woolard will be sought after by any reader interested in the history lesson in the form of a novel.