Cover Image: The Pariah

The Pariah

Anthony Ryan trust a different type of story one about treachery, redemption, all told from a first person point of view.  Ryan's masterful story telling showed through however if I had a gripe it would be that his usual character development wasn't as noticable but he set it up for a book two so there is still room for improvement.  Overall I liked it and would recommend to any fans of Ryan's.
I'm a little on the fence about this one. I felt that the plot is something that grabbed my attention but felt like the characters weren't fully developed and a bit out of sync. I was struggling to finish this one as some points of it were good and others were just so boring. Not sure if this was part of the plan for the series or not but I sure hope the next one picks up the pace a bit and fixes some of the issues that this one had.
“I am a pariah to be shunned by churl and noble alike. this land and his people have no use for me safe to earn an ugly death and and an unmarked grave fighting their wars”

The Pariah by Anthony Ryan is the first book in the Covenant of Steel series. Having been left in the woods as a child(he is the bastard child of a Duke), Alwyn Scribe is saved by Deckin and Lorraine, leaders of a band of outlaws. Alwyn has grown up to become an outlaw and lives together with his fellow thieves in the safety of the forrest in the Albermaine kingdom. However, an act of betrayal sets Alwyn’s sights towards getting justice for those close to him that were killed. In turn, his path alters from being an outlaw to a soldier under the leadership of Lady Evadine who is a noblewoman plagued by visions.

The Pariah is the first book I’ve read by Anthony Ryan and it definitely won’t be the last. I really enjoyed this book and can’t wait to see what comes next for Alwyn Scribe. Anthony Ryan’s writing is so detailed that you can picture everything happening in front of your eyes. What really grabbed me in particular were the speeches before battle which could make the hair at the back of your neck stand up. Ryan does superbly in creating a tense atmosphere before and during battle.

“Scum, villains,” she went on. “The wretched dregs of the realm. That is what your comrades think of you. I will not ask if you agree, for I know they are wrong. I know that I would rather stand here with you than alongside the finest knight in all the Covenanted kingdoms of the earth. For I look upon true hearts and true souls. I look upon the true blades of the Covenant”

In terms of the characters, I really like the character of Alwyn Scribe as he was complex, intelligent, and most importantly genuine. He’s just trying to survive the shit life throws at him. The story is told from his POV alone so you really get first insight into what is going through his mind. Especially when it comes to his quest for vengeance on the individuals who killed and betrayed his fellow thieves. Alwyn is an incredibly complex character who I enjoyed learning about. His growth and character development again is very natural and genuine. Alwyn also isn’t a saint and definitely strays over the “erm I don’t think you should’ve done that” line. There are also many great side characters such as Evadine, The Sack Witch, Caerith,Toria, Wilhelm, Deckin, Lorraine, and many more who add to Alwyn’s journey.

When considering the narrative style, The Pariah is incredibly dark and gritty. The life of an outlaw and soldier are not pretty and Anthony Ryan definitely doesn’t sugarcoat that aspect. The depiction of the battles are especially epic and raw. I was genuinely on the edge before the battle scenes and during them.

As a narrator Alwyn was very engaging and the details of what he saw and how he felt were great. I do wish though that we could’ve seen things from the POV of others such as Toria and Evadine. If would’ve been great getting to know what was going on in their minds at key moments. I do hope that we get to see from the POV of others in the next book.

In terms of the world building it’s bloody, dark, and definitely gave me a medieval vibe. Different regions and dukes are competing to see who can reign over whom. Peasants are treated like shit with no regard for their wellbeing. So yeah not everything is sunshine and smiles in the world of the Covenant of Steel. Many of the elements throughout the story include religious elements, political elements, and treasures that were assumed to be myths. The story is partially heavy on the religious elements which in turn goes hand in hand with the political elements. One character in particular draws Alwyn into learning about the religion of focus in the story.

Overall, this was an epic and dark fantasy novel that I really enjoyed. I was pretty nervous about how I’d find it reading an Anthony Ryan novel for the first time but I was pleasantly surprised at how great it was. Alwyn is a really great character but I would like to see from the POV of others! But I’m really excited to see what the second book brings 😊
This is the second book by Anthony Ryan that I've read, the first being Bloodsong. I enjoyed Bloodsong though it took me some time to get through. But I devoured this book so fast. This book is basically a morally gray, self-focused Robin Hood, if I had to describe it.

Alwyn is a delightfully complex character, an outlaw whom the reader can sympathize with and root for. His character development feels really natural, despite the time-jumps here & there.

The minor characters all played an important part, whether it was helping the plot along, being a foil for Alwyn, or simply fleshing out the book more. They were all unique and memorable in their own way, and considering the length of this book, that's a big feat.

Looking forward to the next book!
2.5 stars.
Netgalley ARC provided by Orbit books.

I FINALLY finished this book. I was very much on track to finish it by the release date when I picked it up, but unfortunately, this story just dragged horribly for me and I often found myself bored. I continued reading because this book very much tackles religion through a critical lens from many different angles (which I love in books) and there is a character that is very reminiscent of Joan of Arc (who I have always had a very strong interest in). However, everything else in this book didn't work for me. I didn't find the friendships or character relations to be believable- those who are supposed to be love interests/best friends of our main character in particular. I also struggled to follow the logic of our main character's motivations...I wasn't quite sure why he was making the choices he was making and that left me feeling unmoored for most of the story. There is a side character named Toria who I would much rather had followed rather than our main character to be honest.

I will say the battles were wonderfully written, and the detail is incredible, but I didn't care about the stakes, and thus I didn't care about the end results of said wonderfully written battles.

Overall, I'm very disappointed because I expected to love this, but I do think it would hit the right notes for some people. I am very much a character based reader, but if you aren't, the gritty military aspect and dark themes that many people look for in grimdark stories are absolutely there, and the analysis of religion and society is well done. If you like those themes, I think this may work for you.
Ok so this is my first time reading from Anthony Ryan and I’d heard so many good things about his Raven’s Shadow series, I’m not going to lie my expectations were high for this one. Especially with it being his latest work.
Don’t get me wrong I did enjoy this, just. not as much as I was hoping to!
I think the thing that didn’t really work for me was the main character Alwyn. As the story is told from his perspective alone. I thought he just lacked the depth that I’m looking for in a main character. He didn’t really react to things with much emotion. Although he was betrayed a lot he didn’t really seem to care as much as I thought he should. This could also just be a character trait that maybe just wasn’t for me. The other characters however were really interesting and I would have loved to learn more about them. I think this might have been better for me as a multiple POV book.
Although I enjoyed the world building I feel like there was more mention of magic then there was displays of it. Every now and again I had to remind myself it was a fantasy book and not historical fiction!
 I liked the political side to the story and it definitely intrigues me to find out where it will go in the next book.
Also a possible reread now i know more what to expect, I might enjoy it more.
I really like Ryan’s prose and I can definitely see potential for me enjoying some of his other works too.
I gave this one a 3.5 ⭐️. Rounded down to a 3.
A legitimate epic.  A character driven story with an impressive lack of love story... honestly, thank you for that.
My only criticism is how many times characters show up later, just convenience or not its a little too easy.  Although after the Witch gives Alywn the book, maybe that makes total sense?  No, I'm not explaining that, read the book.
This book took me awhile to get into which is odd because the first chapter grabbed me & then somewhere along the way I was not quite following & had to stop, then reread a bit of it. Always was a character that is definitely developing during the first book in the series. I was a little frustrated with his naivete but understood it. Always was essentially raised in a non conventional way by a leader of a feared outlaw group. They are men & women who fear but love the leader. The young Alwyn blindly loves this person because he saves him from living alone in the forest. Older Alwyn now feeling the sting of betrayal from someone else within the outlaw tribe tries to avenge him. This blindness to whom this father figure was in his life really paralyzes him from growing in some ways.  Looking forward to seeing him to continue to grow & find the balance between ruthless & grace.
After seeing the cover, I was excited to give this book a read, and I wasn't disappointed.

I loved this little foray into the grimy, darker part of fantasy! A big fan of Scribe and his journey through the book, but I'm probably biased. I'm fond of character who aren't exactly always wholesome. I love betrayal, too, and the vengeance that sometimes follows. I'm also a big fan of Lady Evadine!

Anyone looking for an action sort of fantasy with more "shady" style characters and a whirlwind adventure, this one is a good read.
I was given a free e-copy of Pariah by Anthony Ryan (author), Orbit (publisher) and Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.  Pariah is the first novel in The Covenant of Steel series.

This review will be spoiler free.

I would characterize Pariah as a dark version of a coming-of-age fantasy story.

At the beginning of the story, the world building reminded me of Sherwood Forest and Nottingham and a significant minor character reminded me of Robin Hood.

Since a significant minor character reminded me of Robin Hood, the story’s main character appears to be Allan of Dale or Allan Dale who was a member of Robin Hood’s Merry Band.  The members of this band are a bit more cutthroat and mercenary than what I think of Robin Hood’s Merry Band. The story follows the main character from when he is a teenager when he joins the merry band to when he gets a bit older and features some betrayals, murders, robbery, revenge, and other dark deeds.

The main character is engaging, interesting, and well-rounded. The minor characters that encounter the major character are unique, and each of them do something to add the story and propel the story forward. Each of the minor characters is dangerous, unreliable, untrustworthy, and compelling.

The story flowed from the beginning to end for the most part, but there are some small dead spots in the middle of the book. The dead spots, though, were not too bad because I was still immersed in the story.

I am really looking forward to reading the second novel in The Covenant of Steel series.

I rate Pariah 5 stars.

I would like to thank Mr. Ryan, Orbit, and Net Galley for the free ARC.
Objectively, I think this is a solid fantasy novel. There are really three parts to it, which I have integrated as Sherwood, Shawshank, and War. They are quite distinct in plot and tone, only really keeping between themselves as a common thread the main character and narrator Alwyn Scribe, the Pariah of the book title. I, unfortunately, could not figure out how to go into more specifics without major spoilers.

I found each section enjoyable in its own right. There is a lot to unpack by the end of the book, and this formula allows the worldbuilding to progress from the inside out at a reasonable pace. The world of the Covenant of Steel is a bloody one, very much falling under the category of grimdark. Feudal lords are feuding and scheming with little regard for the peasantry ("churls") they lord over. A centralized religion based on a close equivalent of catholic saints is fanning the flames of conflict while clearly mired in corruption. The inevitable wild men in the North, and mystics in the South, are competing for supremacy in the background. Amidst all that Alwyn leads us from one crisis to the next, as recounted from the point of view of his obviously older (and still alive) self.

As an introduction to a new world, this works great. I honestly cannot tell where this is going next, if the tale is going to continue to fork out in unexpected genres or if we are converging toward something a little more classic if epic in scale. Regardless, I'm extremely eager to find out where Ryan takes us in the next instalment.
Thank you Orbit and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Well lets just jump right into this. As we can all see I had a vastly different reaction to this story in comparison to others who have read this. This is actually my first full length novel by Anthony Ryan, but not my first foray into his writing, I am actually reading his novella series The Seven Swords, and I enjoy them. So I figured I would enjoy this as well since I had been wanting to read a longer story of his, but alas this did not work for me, this actually proved to me that I prefer his short story telling over his long.

To start, that tag line by Mr. Gwynne is full of lies and I say that in the nicest way possible. This was not full of vengeance and betrayal. This is why I do not read them and take them with a grain of salt.

The Pariah reads like its historical fiction and not fantasy, and while there is absolutely nothing wrong with historical fiction, I actually enjoy the genre, when I am in the mood for it, but this being pitched as fantasy with such minuscule feels of fantasy made it a tough read to get immersed into. I kept waiting for that fantastical element to pop up but nothing ever did. This lead to me being very bored with the story, it felt like it took ages to get through the chapters and I found myself more times then not becoming sleepy because it felt like so very little happening even though a lot was happening, it just wasn't presented in an engaging manner. Towards the end and I say this with all grace and honesty I started actively avoiding picking it up because I knew I was not enjoying it and could tell nothing was going to make this turn around for me. I even dropped my rating after finishing, I was originally leaning towards a 3.

The most frustrating bit for me comes from the fact that the story shifts drastically from how it starts out. When starting out you are lead to believe that this is going to be a tale of Alwyn getting revenge for his fallen outlaws, a betrayal of the deepest kind, and a tale of two men, a true king and false king fighting for control, and some how Alywn will become entwined in this, and part one even ends on this note. But once part two got going slowly that story-line started to fall to the wayside and the religious story-line with the Covenant, the Seraphile, the scourge and malecite took over and everything that part one set up, just feels completely lost and forgotten. Sure at times its mentioned that Alwyn still wants his revenge and a few moments are taken to bring that part of the story back into play but its very short lived and then quickly removed from the forefront again but even after awhile that stops.

I enjoyed the start of the tale immensely, all the moments of going through Alwyn being part of the outlaws was interesting and engaging. We learned how he came to be part of the crew, where he stood, what their punishments were like under the Outlaw king. The whole Outlaw king portion was so interesting and it ended way to quickly and it was set up to make you feel like it was important but it really wasn't, it was just filler to move the start of the story along, and that is so frustrating as it was the most interesting part. I wanted to know who betrayed who, and its of course reveled so far late in the story after having felt like it was forgetting about that I no longer cared, nor believed it when it was told yet Alywn was like "yup okay that checks out because now I'm more focused on being obsessed with Evadine" and then that's it for the revenge plot line.

I don't care for religious plots, so that in of itself was not interesting for me but I can handle it as a side plot, but in this tale it was slow, and felt dragged out and a lot of the time confusing, and its heavily focused on, its clearly the main plot, not the stuff that went on with the outlaw king.

The story is also told from Alwyn's pov in 1st person, and once again I am coming to conclusion that this style is my least favorite. It does nothing for the larger cast of characters. We only get to see one side of everyone because we are only seeing them through Alwyn's eyes and while they each had their own personalities none of them shined or stood out because they only acted one way, which was the way Alwyn claimed they acted. You never get to see their full reactions to any of the situations, you never get to see the more complex sides of any of them. I enjoyed the first meeting with Ayin, that was wild and unexpected, but aside from that nothing drew me to anyone. To add more frustration all of this led me to I feel nothing for anyone, some other reviews talk about the heartbreak this conjured and I being the sensitive little lady that I am, felt no heartbreak for anyone. The deaths felt flat, and some where mentioned in passing that you didn't get time to take them in, outside of that death is so prevalent that it left nothing to be hurt about.

The reason for the lower rating was the absolute off the wall and straight out of left field take on Alywn being in love with a certain character. This is just randomly thrown at you at the end with zero build up, zero evidence that it was ever a factor and its presented like it was always there. It was jarring, off putting and instantly grated on my nerves. I have a feeling what kind of "love" this is going to turn into, but the lack of build up to it makes it fall completely in the realm of "wtf".

The last bit is the magic.. at least I think its magic, its never really stated if there is or isn't magic. There is talk of witches with gifts, but of course they are heathens and its presented in manner that leads on to believe its just false rumors flying around. Evadine has visions.. The closest thing to magic that appears is all related to the Sack Witch and its not until the end that it starts to make you think "oh look there is magic in this world"

The good of this story falls into the writing, while it was long and at times exasperating it is the writing of someone who has clearly been doing this for a long time. It easy to picture what is going on based on descriptions and the battle/fight scenes are well thought out and constructed wonderfully. I'm not big into structure battlement fights, I find them boring and they are used in this and while I did not like them I can say they where written with knowledge and managed to portray what was happening. Although the world is kind of bland and boring, nothing new and exciting,

All in all, this just was not the story for me, and i'll probably not pick up book 2.
Thank you to NetGalley and Orbit for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was another good story from Anthony Ryan. I’m a fan, and was very excited to see a new book from him, and I was not disappointed. Alwyn Scribe is front and center in this latest book, the start of a new series. He’s an interesting protagonist because he doesn’t try to place himself as a hero. He’s shrewd and clever, and generally puts his “heroic” behavior in the category of bad judgement. But, his capable mind sees him in the middle of historic events next to the figures of legend. We get to read what he saw in while in their shadows, because the entire book is written as if Scribe is looking back on his life and giving an account. I rather like that perspective because you readily get the sense of Alwyn’s wry sense of humor, and the foreshadowing is literally everywhere as he hints at decisions that prove disastrous and chance encounters that are anything but. Ryan, of course, captures a layered world rife with conflict and secrets that pulls you in. All in all, another fantasy read that you should definitely grab at the first chance you get, rather you’ve ever read Ryan before or not.
My first by this author and it didn’t disappoint in the beginning. However I am DNFing this book at 25%. Couldn’t follow the story and was not for me due to the writing style choice of a first person narrative. It may work for others but I was not keen on the story as I struggled to connect with what was happening.
Low 4 stars.

I struggled with the first half of this book. I considered dnf'ing it many times. Ultimately, I'm glad I pushed through and finished The Pariah because it had a very promising ending.

For the first 300 pages, I couldn't get myself to care about anything that was happening. The world building didn't immerse me. The plot didn't intrigue me and I found the characters quite boring. We were supposed to see our main character as very smart but it wasn't convincing.

After I passed that 300 mark, things have gotten significantly better. I was super intrigued and I finally started to see where the plot was going. The characters became more interesting. The world expended and we got a deeper look into the political climate. I didn't want this book to end!

Thank you to Orbit for an early galley! I'm eagerly awaiting book two.
Anthony Ryan's The Pariah launches his new Covenant of Steel series. At first it has the feel of a dark fantasy re-telling of Robin Hood, then introduces a lead reminiscent of Joan of Arc, and becomes a very different story.

Born in a whorehouse, Alwyn grows up among forest outlaws in the kingdom of Albermaine. After they are betrayed, Alwyn is sent to the horrific Pit Mines, where he becomes Alwyn Scribe.

There's a great deal of violence, as well as dark magic, along the way and many die .As this episode ends, Alwyn comes full circle, back to forest outlawry. Fans will be anxious for more, as I am.
The Pariah is the first entry in a new series by Anthony Ryan. It follows Alwyn Scribe, an outlaw who lives in the woods with his comrades. However, a betrayal sets him on a new path filled with blood and vengeance.

I’d like to thank Orbit Books and NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this novel. Unfortunately for me it was a DNF. I got to 22% which is about 120ish pages in, so I can only talk about that first 22%. I definitely think that this was well-written and the character work stuck me in this portion as pretty good, for the main character at least. However, this is written in first person POV, and because I didn’t connect with or particularly like the MC, I really struggled to get to 22%. This was incredibly character focused to start, and while there was nothing that particularly upset me or that I felt was wrong, it just felt a lot more gritty and crass than I cared for. The MC didn’t even feel gray exactly, he just felt like a skeezy guy and I didn’t care to read about him.

Because this was a review copy, I tried to push through, but I hit the point that I knew it would just be a hate read if I continued. I do recommend this book if you like morally questionable main characters, don’t mind a single POV for that questionable person, and like gritty character-driven stories.

This will be posted to my goodreads with no rating. I do not rate my DNFs, but I am giving the book 3 stars on NetGalley's review platform because I do think that this is something that just didn't work for me personally, but that a lot of others will enjoy.
The Pariah by Anthony Ryan is the first novel in The Covenant of Steel, an all new epic fantasy trilogy introducing a perilous yet compelling journey through the eyes of an outlaw.

“Paths to walk, fates to meet.”

The story centers around Alwyn Scribe, an outlaw raised in the kingdom of Albermaine. Thrown out of the only home he knew as a young boy, he found a home in the freedom of the woods with a band of thieves.  Alwyn, now a young man, finds himself on a new path after an act of betrayal against his band of outlaws occurs. He is forced to leave the woods behind and embark on a journey fighting for his freedom in the name of vengeance.  From outlaw to soldier, Alwyn sets his sight on delivering justice to all those who harmed the people closest to him.

“All revolts begin with a spark that births a flame.”

With a prose and narrative style that is dark, brave and full of spirit, The Pariah features politics, religion, myths, and battle scenes. The world building was developed well as we progressed through some interesting places that had a sense of character and an air of mystery in and of itself.  The plot is tightly  connected to Alwyn’s quest for justice and vengeance.  The places he journeys to are often influenced by others he has met along the way. Despite being an outlaw, I loved how he was always open to acquiring new (and finer) skills to help aid his survival and learned as much as he could from others during the months and years he was sometimes forced, and other times voluntarily staying put.  It’s fascinating to see how a sequence of events and the people who come across Alwyn’s path could lead to a turn of events from an outlaw to a soldier in the king’s army.

“Understanding should bring wisdom,” she told me.  But it will be drowned if you surrender to the indulgence of wrath.”

The Pariah is full of characters to both love and hate.  Alwyn is such a well written character who is full of complexity.  Many of the supporting characters, including the villainous, evil forces, do feel one dimensional; serving as a player for Alwyn’s character to develop against. It’s not a negative for me, but after recently finishing a line of books featuring multiple povs, The Pariah didn’t feel as robust in the depth of overall growth and dynamics for the other characters.  I think having only Alwyn’s pov was a little limiting for me personally.  I felt neutral towards the other characters. As I said before, it’s not a negative and did not impact how I felt about the story overall because I do love how we experienced everything as Alwyn did and I think this story benefited from being told from only his perspective.

Overall, a fantastic start to a series.  Alwyn is a character who stays with you long after you turn the final page. His journey is one of justice, transition, morality, and definement.  Thank you to Orbit Books for providing me with an advanced readers copy via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
<i>ARC acquired by Orbit via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.</i>

<b>“The life of a pariah can be as meaningful as that of a king.”</b>

<i>The Pariah</i> follows the journey of Alwyn Scribe from bastard-born outlaw, thieving with a notorious band of misfits, to warrior, following noble-woman Evadine Courlain, commander of in the royal army. The first 15% of this book was quite boring and slow paced. I didn’t become invested in the story until around chapter seven, when an act of betrayal sparks Alwyn’s revenge story.

This was my first book by Anthony Ryan, and I was not disappointed even through this isn’t the typical fantasy I read. The description can be a bit misleading in its mention of dark forces and demonic apocalypse. Evadine’s visions didn’t strike me as demonic in any way. They foretell the coming of the Second Scourge. The magic in this story is not at the forefront either. It’s barely mentioned at all until you meet a character known as the Sack Witch. It is not a story steeped in magic and adventure but instead, it focuses on Alwyn’s quest for vengeance as he moves through capture after capture until he finally finds a place in the royal army. Religion plays a heavy role in the politics surrounding this story, so if that’s something that you aren’t interested in, know going in, that the second half of the book heavily centers on it. This is a very character driven story, specifically Alwyn’s character as he figures out where he belongs in this world of outlaws and knights.

This story is told like a memoir, where Alwyn is telling the reader about his journey. There are times when the reader is addressed directly, and I found that to be a bit distracting as it took me out of story because of how infrequent it appears. Because we are following Alwyn’s journey, I felt we didn’t get enough time with some of the side characters that were just as interesting as Alwyn. I would have liked to see more of Toria and the Sack Witch. There were times when Toria’s character is absent for chapters at a time even though she’s within the same space as Alwyn.

Overall, I enjoyed this first installment to a new series, and I will definitely continue on with the series and look into Anthony Ryan’s other works.

<b>“Cowardice had always felt like a redundant concept to one born to a day-to-day struggle for mere survival.”</b>

<i> The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication. </i>
3.5

The Pariah by Anthony Ryan is an outlaw epic fantasy tale that will leave readers eager for the next book. The author’s love of medieval history shines through, as his storytelling transports you into the world of the Covenant of Steel series.

The main character of the story, Alwyn Scribe, has a very trying journey over the course of the book. Alwyn’s story is one of survival. Loss has colored his time in the world, and he perseveres by focusing on the promise of vengeance against those who betrayed him. His travels take him to a variety of places, from the right hand of the Outlaw King to service in the army of a religious martyr (akin to Joan of Arc). Alwyn’s ability to leverage knowledge as power is unique in the story, especially for one so young. For example, his intelligence and ability to gather information for the Outlaw King earned him the title of “The Fox”. His knowledge of religious scripture affords him better treatment in prison and paves the way for his scribe training. I admire how Alwyn made the best of very difficult situations and stayed alive when so many others perished.

My favorite part of the book was Ryan’s prose. His writing is so vivid that I caught myself wincing when I imagined the sound of bones breaking and getting excited as I imagined the clanging of steel swords during the battle moments. The use of antiquated words like churls, palaver, tupped, and billeted helped immerse me into the medieval setting too.

I feel this book could improve the pacing of the story in the first third of the book (the initial 200 pages or so). I caught myself flipping through pages to figure out how long it would be till the next action scene. I realize that the author had a lot of work to do with character development and world-building, but it took too long for my taste. I’m glad I persevered past this and finished the story, as the last two-thirds of the book are amazing.

As a warning, there are a lot of gory scenes in this book (beheadings, whippings, and hangings just to name a few). I would not recommend this book if you have a weak stomach or you are a younger reader. But if you’re a mature reader of fantasy who doesn’t mind some quiet moments in a book of roughly 600 pages, then The Pariah is the book for you.