Cover Image: The Book of Hope

The Book of Hope

Exactly what I needed, a reaffirming book of hope during our current days of uncertainty and negativity. Jane Goodall has so many wise thoughts and words and appears always hopeful. She is an inspiration. Douglas Abrams is a brilliant biographer, asking just the right questions, memorializing Goodall’s compassion and memories.
This is exactly the book that the world needs right now.

We are facing far more environmental challenges now than ever before, brought on by humans, and the natural world around us desperately needs our help before things are too late.

Goodall writes with conviction and compassion and her Hope is contagious.

Excellent nonfiction that everyone should read.
Ever since I saw her speak at an assembly in college, I have been obsessed with Jane Goodall and the work that she does. She is the kind of woman who puts her actions behind her words and that is reflected both within her daily life and the way she writes.

This book takes a look at hope: what it means, what it is, how we use it, and what we can continue to do with it and so much more. Its a book that takes a look at the world we live in today and how there is still hope to be had as long as you know where to look for it.
Jane Goodall is an inspiring woman and has such wonderful words of wisdom. With everything going on in the world these past couple years it can be hard to feel optimistic.. This book is written as  a series of conversations with Douglas Abrams. She has such wonderful stories and hearing them gives you a genuine sense of hope. This book discusses not only hope, but a call to action for the future of our planet. Jane speaks about her past experiences and what she has learned advocating for animals and the environment..  It's important that we understand what we have done to our world and what needs to change. Her hope, her optimism, and they way she cares about our world is something we need more of.  A great read, highly recommend.
I can't say enough good about this book. It DID give me hope and made me feel better all over. I loved it and I am sure others will as well.
3.5  hopeful stars, rounded up
From the publisher: “In this urgent book, Jane Goodall, the world's most famous living naturalist and Doug Abrams, internationally-bestselling author, explore--through intimate and thought-provoking dialogue--one of the most sought after and least understood elements of human nature: hope. In The Book of Hope, Jane focuses on her “Four Reasons for Hope”: The Amazing Human Intellect, The Resilience of Nature, The Power of Young People, and The Indomitable Human Spirit.”

The Book of Hope was Not an “urgent book.” Too much time was spent by the author describing when he met Jane Goodall, the setting, the whiskey. I did not care for the question and answer conversation (chit chat) style of relating information at all. It was clunky, cumbersome, contrived and distracting. Occasionally this book about hope became too ‘rah rah,’ and I quote, “Together we CAN! Together we WILL!”

I enjoyed the short bio of Jane starting out in her field and other parts about her life the most. She is an inspiration and has done so much good in the world. I liked seeing a small photo gallery of Jane’s family.  The end has a helpful Further Reading section that includes book suggestions and websites.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I requested this book for background reading for a featured review we were planning to run. You can see review and related article at the links below. Both were sent to the publicist at the time.

Review:
Beyond the Book:
This book is exactly what the title suggests. It was filled with good hope and led to many wonderful discussions with those I shared it with. Many parts left me thinking and feeling encouraged, especially in this time. This was also my first introduction to Jane Goodall and this book was recommended to me by a library patron.
Interesting and informative.. I enjoyed learning about the various organizations and work being done. I may have been looking for more and that is not any fault of the great Jane Goodall. Her work is impressive and awe inspiring. But the book itself left me a little underwhelmed.
Hope is an ephemeral topic. Goodall is an eminently practical person. Goodall writing about hope is truly concrete and helpful.

This book is a wonderful introduction to Jane Goodall and her amazing life (I was googling like crazy for her biography and for photos!).

It's also a great, readable treatment of how to remain in action in the face of discouraging news on climate change, Covid, etc. etc.

This book would make a great gift.
I've admired Jane Goodall since I was a child, and in this book she delivers an important message that the world desperately needs in so many ways.
Jane never ceases to amaze me with her intelligence, her grace, her worldview and everything else. She is truly a saint in my eyes. While I have read many of Jane's other books, they all tend to be different. Even though this one is separate from her "Hope Series" it really builds on it... and to think she wrote her earliest "hope-series" book in the 1990's.

"The Book of Hope" is really a reflection on Jane's life and the people that have touched it and how she breaks down hope as a concept, inspiring tales, and the importance. I loved that this was set up as a conversation because it allowed a more intimate look into Jane's day-to-day life and her snappy personality.

Jane's outlook and abundance of love, hope and grace she grants to this world and its inhabitants never ceases to amaze and inspire me. She is a straight-shooter when it comes to facts but is always so gentle about understanding all the sides. She brings me to tears every-time.

I would recommend this book for all readers - if you love science or not. It is uplifting and inspiring for all. Or listen to the audiobook which she alternates in narration just like a conversation.

Thank you to JGI and Celadon for the gifted copy.
I absolutely love Jane Goodall and I was not one bit disappointed with this book!  I feel like I know her heart even better than I did previously!
I cannot wait to see the hard copy in my hand!
I loved everything about this book!  It's easy to read, holds your attention, and I was heartbroken to get to the end.
You don't want to miss out on this amazing book!

Thank you so much, NetGalley, Jane Goodall, your publisher, and anyone involved in getting this ARC to me!
Received an advanced e-copy to read for review

While I admire Jane Goodall's work, and feel this book is perfectly timed, I just couldn't become as interested in reading as I would have liked.  Still recommending, but, this one just wasn't for me.
The Book of Hope: A Survival Guide for Trying Times by Jane Goodall and Douglas Abrams is a timely book that inspires optimism. The book is laid out simply, with four tenets for why Goodall feels hopeful for the future of humanity and the planet we occupy. The book is conversational in tone, with Abrams meeting with Goodall intermittently. It is peppered with stories from her illustrious career, from her work in the field to activism. It’s fascinating to hear Jane Goodall’s unique perspective about the existential threats we currently face and balanced thoughts about what humanity has and can achieve if we aspire to act ethically and selflessly.

Thank you Celadon Books and NetGalley for providing this ARC.
Well-timed book with a thoughtful message…

I’ve always admired Jane Goodall. From my perspective, her life has always been about the thirst for knowledge and making a difference. A difference for animals who have no voice. And for a planet who is crying out for help. And now for the humans may be struggling, believing that all has already been lost… This book was not a ‘Pollyanna’ take on the crisis we are all facing – if we choose to believe it or not – but rather a call to peaceful arms, that (together) we can make a difference….

In a conversational style, Jane and her co-author document what she believes are the pillars of strength that will enable all of us to keep working towards a solution. Her ‘four reasons for hope’ include The Amazing Human Intellect, The Resilience of Nature, The Power of Young People, and The Indomitable Human Spirit. Each subject was broken down and explained in a clear voice that didn’t bludgeon me with righteousness but instead encouraged me to look for strength and reasons to keep moving forward. All has not been lost. Yet…

Is the task overwhelming? It most definitely is. I liked that this wasn’t white-washed but instead it confirmed the daunting task we face. What it also did was remind me why it’s important to keep fighting. Because there is hope, in each other, in the work being done every day. We can unite believing, and working, in a unified belief that we, and the planet we live in, are worth saving…
Inspirational and informative, I really did come away more optimistic and also determined to not just be hopeful but take that belief and transform it into something tangible. Hope won’t save the planet or its inhabitants but the loss of it would be its death knell…
During this uncertainty, Jane Goodall's wisdom is a much needed gift to us all. Written in a conversational style between Douglas Abrams and Jane Goodall, we get an insight on Jane's personal anecdotes and experiences that shaped her hopeful worldview. I appreciated the dialogue format. It provided for an intimate and thought-provoking read. Douglas Abrams did an astounding job in asking the right questions and keeping the conversation flowing. Through her measured, solace voice, her plea for necessary action and healing is expressed gracefully without sounding preachy. I absolutely love and respect Jane's work and what she represents. For her to give us four specific reasons for hope was inspirational and encouraging. I appreciated how she highlights taking small steps in action makes a difference. Jane's personal stories were very fascinating and powerful. Her gentle voice about hope felt like a very much needed warm hug. She lived and continues to live such an incredible life, and most importantly, even amidst all the darkness, it was truly uplifting how she still has hope in our future. This was such a beautiful book voiced by a phenomenal woman.

Thank you to NetGalley and Celadon Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you, Jane Goodall, Douglas Abrams, Celadon Books, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book. It hits shelves on October 19th, 2021!

“Hope is contagious. Your actions will inspire others. It is my sincere desire that this book will help you find solace in a time of anguish, direction in a time of uncertainty, courage in a time of fear.”

JANE GOODALL
The Book of Hope by Douglas Abrams is a part of the Global Icon Series. This book is Jane Goodall and she is such a beautiful soul! She is one of the people with who I would love to have lunch, but reading this book is probably as close as I will get to that. There is no doubt we are in trying times. It is really hard to go out into this world without feeling despair or disappointment. Douglas Abrams interviews Jane Goodall and asks the important question–How do you have hope during this time and how do we foster hope in our future generations? She has “Four Reasons For Hope: The Amazing Human Intellect, The Resilience of Nature, The Power of Young People, and The Indomitable Human Spirit.”

“Does some of our wisdom get lost when we lose connection with the natural world?” I asked.
“I believe it does. Indigenous cultures have always had a connection with the natural world. There are so many wise shamans and healers among the Indigenous people, so much knowledge about the benefits of living in harmony with the natural world.”

THE BOOK OF HOPE
One of the aspects that I loved about this book is that it is a conversation. It isn’t preachy. It is solace and a kind voice. And I know we can ALL use some kindness and grace during these times. But it is also a call to action. A plea to listen and make the necessary changes for progress and healing. Jane Goodall really draws on her past experiences and what she has learned advocating for animals and our Earth. I love her praise for the Indigenous community and how we need to listen to them and draw inspiration from their connection to the natural world. I was pretty much giddy when they mentioned Peter Wohlleben. He has become a favorite of mine. Jane praises his work in working with trees and the importance of the forest. Then I think I swooned when she mentioned that her favorite fictitious book that draws on hope is Lord of the Rings.

“I think it provides us with a blueprint of how we survive and turn around climate change and loss of biodiversity, poverty, racism, discrimination, greed, and corruption. The Dark Lord of Mordor and the Black Riders symbolize all the wickedness we have to fight. The fellowship of the Ring includes all of those who are fighting the good fight-we have to work so hard to grow the fellowship around the world.”

THE BOOK OF HOPE
I truly admired everything about this book and I look forward to reading Douglas Abrams’s other book, The Book of Joy with the Dalai Lama. I did find hope in this book and I really recommend it to anyone who is struggling to find it. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars!
Jane Good and Douglas Abrams gave their book an appropriate title because it definitely gave me hope for the future.  If you suffer eco-grief and anxiety about the future of our planet like I do, I recommend you read "The Book of Hope".

Jane's reasons for hope are based on the following: the resilience of nature, the power of youth, the amazing human intellect, and the indomitable human spirit.  An inspiring example of the resilience of nature is the Survival Tree in Manhattan at the sight of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on 9-11-2001.  The tree was wounded and seemed certain to die --- yet it did not die.  It fought back and now stands proudly as a testament to the power and strength of nature.  The Survival Tree is a beacon of hope for all of us.

Jane and Douglas give examples of the damaged wreaked on nature by humanity's greed and ignorance,  They give us the hard truth but then follow with positive examples,, such as the beneficial effect on Yellowstone Park with the reintroduction of the wolf.  A lovely quote from the book from Jane Goodall is "how resilience is linked to the belief that we can make a difference in our lives and the lives of others, how hope really gives us the will to not only heal ourselves but to make the world a better place."

My hearts beats stronger and more hopefully because of this thoughtful and honest book.
Jane Goodall has always been someone I looked up to. I have read all her books and I cherish each one. The Book of Hope was written in a unique way as Jane discusses different experiences of her life, and why she still has hope for the future of our world, all in conversations with Douglas Abrams. Jane's "Four Reasons for Hope": The Amazing Human Intellect, The Resilience of Nature, The Power of Young People, and The Indomitable Human Spirit are the main focus of the conversations.

This is the perfect book to read right now as we all struggle with the last year and a half and the future.. The book is thought provoking and will also give you hope.