Cover Image: Against Silence

Against Silence

2/5

Thank you NetGalley and Farrar, Straus and Giroux for the eARC in exchange for an honest review!

I didn't really like this. For the first 70% of the book, I didn't understand the unique structure, let alone a single line. There were some capitalized words, and passages without any inch of syntax. It was like trying to solve a word puzzle that's in a language you don't speak, with an alphabet you don't know.

But then "The Ghost" happened. What a wonderful poem it was. I would probably give that one a big 4.5/5.

The last 30% of this book is the only reason this book didn't receive a one star rating. While I didn't particularly like the poems that came after "The Ghost", at least I could understand the poems to a basic level.

Overall, I'm not a fan of this type of poetry. If the description of this book seems interesting to you, I do still encourage you to read it because after all, poetry can be interpreted a thousand different ways.
This is a poet I've meant to read for a long time. But when I got to a poem bemoaning the "return of white supremacy" I guess I decided he's not really for me.
Raw and magnificent; this honest and unembellished poetry collection focuses on race, sexuality , power and all things stigmatised, It was beautiful and hard hitting.
I wanna preface this by saying that I'm really sorry but his writing style, his poems, are just not for me. I'm so sad to say this but reading this collection made me question one thing: Am I that dumb to not understand all of his poems, or is it just super cluttered and all over the place?

All throughout my reading experience, this made me feel like I do not understand the English language at all. There are so many names mentioned which were okay, but I was so lost. The poems felt like scribbles of personal thoughts and feelings with deep metaphors that my tiny brain could not grasp, even in the slightest bit.
Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read and review this title! I’ve been a fan of Bidart’s for a long time and was so thrilled to see a new collection coming out and this didn’t let me down at all! I find Frank Bidart’s poetry so approachable and I appreciated the way that this collection flowed. There were a couple poems that knocked me off my feet and some lines that cut me to my core! Not every poem had this effect, but overall I thought it well worth the read and I can’t wait to add it to my collection!
Thank you, NetGalley for a chance to read and review this ARC!

It took me a while to get into this, but you really start to enjoy Frank Bidart when you read it aloud or imagine it being performed.